Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 more people losing there jobs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic more people losing there jobs Next Topic
Page: of 2

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I just got this from a friend. Some people might say...oh great deals before they close..I say OMG...more people losing there jobs....Circuit City stores... most recent (? how many)
Ann Taylor- 117 stores nationwide are to be shuttered
Lane Bryant,, Fashion Bug ,and Catherine's to close 150 store nationwide
Eddie Bauer to close stores 27 stores and more after January
Cache will close all stores
Talbots closing down all stores
J. Jill closing all stores
GAP closing 85 stores
Footlocker closing 140 stores more to close after January
Wickes Furniture closing down
Levitz closing down remaining stores
Bombay closing remaining stores
Zales closing down 82 stores and 105 after January.
Whitehall closing all stores
Piercing Pagoda closing all stores
Disney closing 98 stores and will close more after January
Home Depot closing 15 stores 1 in NJ ( New Brunswick)
Macys to close 9 stores after January
Linens and Things closing all stores
Movie Galley Closing all stores
Pacific Sunware closing stores
Pep Boys Closing 33 stores
Sprint/ Nextel closing 133 stores
JC Penney closing a number of stores after January
Ethan Allen closing down 12 stores.
Wilson Leather closing down all stores
Sharper Image closing down all stores
K B Toys closing 356 stores
Lowes to close down some stores
Dillard's to close some stores

we have moved to our farm...and love it

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  07:31:48 AM  Show Profile
OMG that is horrific, isn't it? The company that I worked for for 25 years is shutting down all of their stores by the end of the year. They've been family owned and operated since 1919. Crazy huh?

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  07:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
What I don't get is that some of these bigger stores are still building in communities such as mine and yet are closing others? Does that make sense? We have a HomeDepot in one town and in the very next town about 20min away is a new Lowes getting ready to open. In these smaller communities how do these stores survive? Thank goodness though we finally got a Tractor&Co. but now there are two of them within a half hour of each other!

Lori
www.countryhandsandheart.etsy.com
www.farmgirlinthemaking.blogspot.com
Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile
This is a partially a HOAX! It was on the news last night!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Nov 29 2008 08:08:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to the Snopes.com writeup about it http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/storeclosings.asp

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Still with economic times the way they are how are companies erecting multiple stores within minutes of each other and surviving?

Lori
Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm not as worried about the big corporations as I am all of the little guys who are going out of business. My hubby's in the construction field and it's been getting pretty bad lately. I think he's one of three lisenced ironworkers left in our valley and we don't have a whole bunch of work either :(. We're still keeping our heads above water though, so you've got to be grateful!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  2:15:54 PM  Show Profile
There was a story on the news here about various stores closing. In many, many cases, they are opening others, but they close one, blaming the economy and doing all sorts of things to get tax breaks. They also get more incentives in opening the "new" store. So yes, some businesses are closing, but quite a few are manipulating the system for all its worth. It's really pathetic.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  3:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
Happymama, I agree with you. Unfortunatley it has a trickle down effect that impacts all of us. Small business owners these days have to really struggle to make it.

Lori
Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  10:30:56 PM  Show Profile
I know where I work, we are a smallish-to medium sized company, but we rely on the housing industry. We have laid off three times this year.
I am not so worried, because I know God is faithful and will provide, but it is still scary non-the-less.
All I can do is to continue to do a good job for as long as they'll keep me.
It may mean the difference between me staying or getting the boot.

My one friend has been laid off since March, and she hasn't found anything.
Maybe a nibble here and there.
I will a continue praying that our country will recover from this economic disaster; but also, I will leave it up to God to worry about.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Nov 29 2008 10:46:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  07:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I work in Dalton Ga. The Carpet Mills there are closing down 2 mills. There are about 3,000 people that will be out of work by the end of the year. I am a Cosmetology Instructor, and at the school where I teach we have 15-25 students start eveery month. Yes about half drop out before they can finish. Still they are trying to do something else while they are on unemployment. Where we use to live there are 3 Walmarts on the same road about 5 miles apart. It is a large town but still that to me is a bit much. I know when stores close just to build down the road they get taxe right off. And they usually still own the other property. Hopefully something will happen soon for the small business owner that is having such a ahard time.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  08:44:32 AM  Show Profile
I've pretty much stopped shopping at chain stores, including Wal-Mart, and I almost refuse to purchase from anyone who sends jobs overseas, for whatever excuse (they can call it a reason, but I'm not buying it -- excuse the pun ) they give. Local is local is local, and when I can't buy local, I purchase from independents online.

People say goods cost more from independent businessmen, but for me the fact has been quite the opposite. Instead of walking by lots of stuff I don't really need but buy on impulse in, for example, Wal-Mart, I see what I need and buy what I need. I've found I'm actually spending much less and ending up without buyer's remorse.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  09:57:24 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if that list is true or not but I know there are lots of people being laid off around the country. I've been looking for work since last May. I can tell that it's getting worse by the number of help wanted ads in the paper and online. One job I applied for had 200 applicants in one day!

I totally agree with Patti - we need to be supporting local independent businesses. If we can't purchase that way then buy online from small businesses. I hate going shopping and will do anything I can to avoid it. I may have to pay for shipping when I buy online but it is worth it to me not to have to fight the crowds.

Handmade Soap and More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  10:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
YES PLEASE remember the lil guys! I saw a big increase in people shopping in my little town on black friday and commenting how they used to go to Pittsburgh (the large city 50 miles west) and were happy to go to a small town and support it!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile
I agree...I think we need to pay slightly higher prices so we can keep people working in THIS country, and not outsource everything. Yes, I know people in other countries need money too, but it's looking like either machines, or poor folks making $2 in developing countries, will soon be the bulk of "American" workers (sorry, getting off the soap box now) :(

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
herbals: www.wildatheartherbals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  1:30:10 PM  Show Profile
I work as an editor for a big multinational publishing corporation. My job is being outsourced to India. It's not due to bankruptcy or the economic downturn (the company's doing great). This is just the way business is run these days.

I really worry about the direction our country is going. At some point, the way of life we've all grown up taking for granted is going to go away. I don't mean a sense of being entitled to a new big screen tv every year, but more essential things like being able to go to the hospital or buy a home.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  1:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Amie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I am truly disheartened--and feel exactly the way you do. Our salaries can't compete with the cost of living, yet they still search for employees to pay less. I wish you much luck...something will be there for you, I know it.

The company my mother works for is simply getting rid of middle management and long-time, near retirement (60ish) salary capped workers to hire 2-3 in their place, and pay them the combined salary with less benefits. Doesn't matter that these folks won't come to work on time, if at all...it's just that they're a body, and they don't cost the company as much. The only problem is that where she works in particular, the manager is practicising ageism, and making no bones about it. He also falsifies employment records, stating that the employee is performing poorly, so that when they are fired, there is little to no retaliation.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  2:23:26 PM  Show Profile
For all of you who actually realize how important the "little girls/guys" are, a big thank you from a NEW little guy...On black friday I had two customers all day...not even anyone browsing. On saturday I had one SALE! I tried to support little guys when I picked my merchandise, and aparently the locals here in MY hometown are not at all concerned with the little guys who pay taxes as much as they are concerned with saving a buck. :( It can be disheartening...but I refuse to sell imported crap, and I refuse to sell crap made by people who are ruining this earth and our economy, and their own children...So I will continue to support the little people by selling their wares in my store, and I'm barely making enough to keep the door open, let along bring home any type of profit to support our household. I am fortunate enough that my husband's biz is doing ok, but we are both business owners and both feeling the impact of this economic downturn...It's scary because we have to have a "plan" for what to do if things get really bad, and we have to comtemplate going to work for someone else, and it's all just so crazy!
I pray for all of you that have been or will be affected by this mess. Let's hope that after the inauguration things mgiht change for the better...

Edited by - MsCwick on Dec 03 2008 2:27:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  7:26:47 PM  Show Profile
What relieves me is that possibly the job losses are due to people realizing they don't need to buy everything in sight. Shopping less, there is just less need for all these goods out there. I mean, really, how many places in town can I get tank tops? 4 Walmarts, about 7 Targets, all the department stores (Macy's, Sears, Dillards, Penneys) plus all the boutiques (Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, Coldwater Creek, Gap, etc.). Then there are all the discount stores and thrift stores....One item EVERYWHERE!

To me that's not a problem if people stop shopping all the time and learn to make do and simplify and extend the life of what they already own or do without. What scares me is that most people, unlike this group, don't know how to make soap or bread or fences or quilts and rugs out of old clothes and such. Because they have few skills, the lack of work "out there" will drive them home, but they won't have the skills to make home productive enough to keep their homes.

I worry about those who don't know how to do for themselves. Whose very existence is tied up in shopping and banks and credit.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:55:58 PM  Show Profile
My husband works for a Mitsubishi Dealership in Portland, OR. He came home tonight and said that the dealership will be closing on December 31st. That puts both of us out of work. I've been laid off since May. He will be able to draw unemployment but it won't be close to his salary. We have been cutting back and will be doing more now.

Cristine - I feel for you. I remember how discouraging it was when we had our store and got hardly any business during the holidays. Everyone was running into town to stand in line at 5 AM to buy from the big box stores. At this time, more than ever, it's so important to support each other's businesses. Buy local, buy handmade, buy from small businesses. That is the backbone of our country. If we all stick together in this we will come through it even better than before!

Go to Top of Page

Sweetpeas
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nancy
Silt CO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  07:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Sweetpeas a Yahoo! Message
What if we stop reading all the doom and gloom which we can NOT change and focus on how we a will survive. Lets Start a Post about what we are doing to make our daily lives better for those we love and reach out to the less fortunate. Change is good and we will survive and adjust to the changes. Things happen for a reason,to make us better people. Just ask those that survived the great depression.

Today I am grateful that we have a sprinkle of snow and that I live in beautiful Colorado.

"We deliver the perfect sentiments with fresh flowers"Sweet Peas Gardens & Flowers www.sweetpeasgardens-n-flowers.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  11:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Nancy - you are so right!!! We live in the most wonderful country in the whole world. We have freedom that others can't enjoy. We have also gotten spoiled by excess. We are being taught a valuable lesson in all of this - getting back to basics and what is important.

Today I am grateful that I have a warm and cozy home to live in and the sun is shining!!

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, You are sooo right. The people in "charge" dont care about us, the little people. They say they do...but it is clear that giving these large companies money that WE have to pay back. Middle America is the people that support this country. But with all the people losing there jobs middle America is slowly getting smaller. We need to start helping ourselves. And start trying to grow our own food. We are renting our peice of land until we can get our finances together. I just finshed school and I am teaching. Not the greatest pay. But I do have a job. We are building a chicken coop this spring and have chickens. The owner said we can put anything on the property that we wnted just so we ask him first. And it only makes the property go up in value. But the price will be the same when we go to buy it. I am doing raised beds this spring also. I have a few greens in bags of potting soil now. The soil is the worst here and it would take a few years to get it conditioned to grow things well. I have decided to do some craft things and sell them at the local flea market. We just need to find things that can get us through the day, week, year. And manage our money better. And yes...stop buying things that later you regret...Bake more and stay home and cook dinner. Sorry about the rant....
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  5:53:50 PM  Show Profile
BTW....I just read on Yahoo that 1/2 million people half lost there jobs...and that the 12 people that decide if we are in a recession has finally said we have been in a recession for the 10 months
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  5:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Kay I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job. We are in the same boat - unemployment is about 1/2 of what we need to pay our bills.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

LindaLee
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Linda
Milwaukie OR
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  3:29:42 PM  Show Profile
You are right Amie, the culture (the thinking) has changed and is changing. Health care is thru the state system for me right now, I don't like it, but it's the way it is when you lose your job and insurance. As to buying a house (or the farm that I want) it is out of the question, even with good credit---especially when you are currently unemployed. Well, I do work 14 hours per week, but that's is a 'drop in the bucket'! My husband and I were working for a big corporation and their values changed. They no longer value people but only the numbers! So we decided to pursue something else before they ran us into the looney bin!! We're seeing more and more of this. So . . . I guess I will make do, and try to keep up my spirits . . the farmgirl way! Also trying to make a little with my etsy store (to add to my 14 hours paycheck! hee! hee!)
Linda

www.pruitthandcrafts.etsy.com
www.pruitthandcrafts.blogspot.com

Country Gram's Handmades
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic more people losing there jobs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page