Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Basket weaving anyone???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Basket weaving anyone??? Next Topic  

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  4:22:15 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I made handwoven baskets many years ago. We would cut down brown ash and oak to make our baskets, it was really hard work. We are thinking about cutting down another tree to make baskets...any basket makers out there? I would like to see pictures of your baskets....I love baskets.

Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  6:04:37 PM  Show Profile
I love all kinds of baskets and I had signed up for a class on kudzu baskets but hurt my wrist the day before class so my daughter went. She made the coolest looking basket from kudzu vines- one of our cats adopted it for her bed. We talk about making kudzu baskets but just never enough time. We have so much kudzu around here it would be nice to be able to use it.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  7:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I've taken a couple classes at Becoming an Outdoors Woman and Women in the Outdoors events. I made a few baskets from kits. I thought about getting into it but decided I had too many hobbies already.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  7:57:21 PM  Show Profile
I am a weaver of baskets.. it has been awhile, although I currently just finished a pine-needle basket for one of the girl on here. That is my love, doing pine-needle baskets. I have been in the mood on doing some egg baskets and potato baskets lately... maybe that is a hint from my inner creative side screaming at me! LOL.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  8:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I have never saw a kudzu vine. Is it like weaving a basket out of grapevine? Don't you enjoy being able to use materials that just require a little work. Do you know if they boil the vine before weaving?
Katherine, I know what you mean, I quit making baskets for a few years due to all my other interest. My husband has retired and I am a school nurse so I have alittle more time in the summer. I am just itching to make a basket.
Karrieann, I love pine-needle baskets...I have never made one but they are so lovely. We really like to make egg baskets and market baskets. I raise sheep, spin wool into yarn and then knit and I love to carry my knitting with me in a homemade basket. I also weave and I like to put my yarns in baskets by my looms.
Will you use materials that grows nearby or will you order some materials to make your baskets? I really like to use oak or ash but sometimes I want to make one faster so I use caning.
Over the years we have gave many gift baskets and I fill them with homemade jellies, jams, or jars of candy. Do you gift your baskets or keep them for yourself?
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  9:40:03 PM  Show Profile
I planted wheat to grow to make a wheat grass basket later this summer. I like making pine needle baskets. Have the supplies to do more... but I get caught up in LOTS of projects and haven't sat down to learn some other techniques.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  08:28:00 AM  Show Profile
I've always wanted to learn how. It's on my long list of 'wanna learns' :D

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ScotDeerie
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

G
western NY area NY
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile
I learned to weave baskets years ago. Then I moved on to pine needle baskets followed by gourd baskets with pine needle or antler trim. I think we need a basket weaver badge, don't you?
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  10:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Sarita,
Yes, using kudzu is like using grape vine. The first time I saw kudzu I thought it was the most beautiful vine I had seen. Kudzu is VERY fast growing, as much as a foot a day, and will cover anything in its path. This site as some pics and info about kudzu http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/
Kudzu is very useful too. You can use the leaves like you would grape leaves, the flowers make a wonderful jelly similar to grape jelly and the plant is very high in protein. The horses love it but we never let them eat too much. Its good forage for livestock but will give the milk and different flavor.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Basket weaving anyone??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page