Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic
Page: of 56

climbergirl
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

west & north roadtrip
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2004 :  5:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Send climbergirl an AOL message
Some of you may have heard of the phenomenon of mail art.

Recently, I've been cleaning out the bedroom I grew up in and have come across bundles of letters I received as a child. They're from girls I met at summer gymnastics camp, college friends and boxes of tightly folded back-and-forth notes passed in the halls of high school. Some of the bundles have found their way back to the writers. Others, I'm still searching for the long lost writers!

My point is, I miss receiving mail! I'd love to swap mail art with some like-minded people.

The cool thing about mail art is that you don't have to think up one-liners to send to a complete stranger. And it's not as committed as a pen pal. All you have to do is decorate a post card (or scrap of cardboard and call it a postcard) or an envelope and send it off. Found objects, bits of blurry photos you were going to toss when you purged your photo box, your best friend's favorite saying - the sky is the limit.

Anyone interested in giving this a try, email me your address and I'll send you my address.

Finch-Thistle
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Randi
Ruston LA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile
If you are still doing the mail art I'd like to try. Finch-Thistle
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  10:18:34 PM  Show Profile
I AM ALSO INTERESTED
Robin

" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  12:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi I promised to send mail art and have not done anything about it yet. Have all kinds of supplies stacked up ready to go--will try to get something out by the end of the month. Could you email me your address at conniekallenberg@msn.com? If anyone else is interested, please let me know. Would be fun to have a Farm Girl mail art circuit!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  8:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I'd like to send/receive this mail art. I love to write letters, have had a pen pal for the last 18 years - we have been writing letters back & forth for that time (she lives in Massachusetts.) We "met" through a group called Rural Network, which matched people with interests in country living, etc. I used to write to more people from this group, but now I'm only writing to 2 people.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  07:37:27 AM  Show Profile
This does sound fun! I collect stationary and ink pens and I would love to put them to use in something like this! Lets all get this going!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  11:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I would love to be in on it too!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  12:34:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello all Since I have already listed my email in the post listed above and have received a few responses, I will be happy to coordinate this if you all will email me so that we can plan on how to get started. If you go into "google" and look under Jon Held Jr, you will see much info on mail art. He was the fine arts librarian at Dallas Public Library in the 80's and was one of the founders of the mail art movement in the US.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 14 2005 :  12:40:18 PM  Show Profile
oooops His name is spelled John Held Jr not "Jon"

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  1:41:51 PM  Show Profile
MAIL ART READY TO GET STARTED?????

Have received emails from several of us who want to participate. Jenny from Kansas and I chatted this morning via email. I suggested that we start by having each person send 1 mail art "piece" (postcard, original notecard etc) out by June 1, 2005.

My thought was that if we compiled a list of snail mail addresses, each person on the list could send one piece of mail to the next name on the list. The last person would, of course, go to the first person on the list. One mailing would be the minimum, but for all who are very energetic, it would be fine to send out as many pieces as you would like. I would think that after the first round, we could let it go rather free form and see how this works.

I know that mailing addresses can be a privacy issue and my only thought on this would be that for those who are concerned about this that perhaps a POB would work.

Will look forward to hearing input. I am most excited about this project. It would be great to have a huge farmgirl mailart movement going on all over the nation!

Connie conniekallenberg@msn.com

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  1:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Im IN!!!! This mail-art thing sounds pretty cool!! I would love to have a mini-mail-art gallery here in my quilting studio..Im signing up!!
Susan Atwell

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

simplegirl
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Teresa
OR
USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile
I just e-mail you my info Connie. I am excited to get started!

Teresa

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have. ~Doris Mortman
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  8:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
I'd love to do this. I work as a "life enrichment coordinator" -- rec therapist. Only a handful of my residents get mail so this would be fun for them. Is this something we could include them in?

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.
Go to Top of Page

jamie
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

jamie

33 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile
this sounds like fun!!! What a great idea.
Connie, I'll be sending you an email

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 21 2005 :  4:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Update on mail art. I am running a bit behind (the scorching 95-99 degrees temps have wiped me out) on getting all of the "snail mail" addresses sent out. Hope to have them completed by Tues 5/24 pm. If you are interested in participating please send me your mailing address and permission to send this on to others. Should be fun.

Connie
conniekallenberg@msn.com

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  06:57:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Connie. I just e-mailed you my address.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  10:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Me, too! Me, too!
Just sent my address to you, Connie.
So, all should create and send something out by June 1?

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  5:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello to all who are interested in sending mail art. I just sent the addresses out and have had to do this rather quickly. I believe that I have missed one person but can't figure out who I missed. AHHHH!!! The library where I use the computer is closing...

If you were expecting a list of addresses and did not receive one tonight or have questions, email me at conniekallenberg@msn.com.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

shelley ginger
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Shelley
Ossining New York
USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  03:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Send shelley ginger an AOL message
Ooooh, count me in!! I just emailed my address too!!

Shelley

Ready to mail art!!

We'll be friends until we're blue in the hair.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 28 2005 :  05:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun, did I miss the boat? Maybe you can add me to the next go round or add me to the last person on the list's copy? Let me know!
Thanks Connie, you're a good soul to coordinate this!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  5:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls Hope that everyone is having fun with their mail art creations. I am trying to send one piece out to everyone on the list, and I am having to work on this on my lunch hours at the library. Hope to start sending everything out in about 5 days. COnnie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  11:42:17 AM  Show Profile
This IS fun Connie! I recieved my first piece last week and it was so exciting! Today I was delighted with another farmgirl masterpiece! It made my day and smoothed some ruffled feathers. I need to go to town and get a few more supplies and then I will have them all done by week's end. I urge all farmgirls to participate if the spirit moves you! It is a way to feel and have a sense of the wonderful and gifted women who post here.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  1:24:55 PM  Show Profile
I've received one so far, it's so nice to get regular mail! To open that mailbox and see something special just for me is such a great feeling :)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  3:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Molly, What lanquage is that on your tagline and what does it mean? Looks like Latin! Just curious I guess... Thanks!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  3:51:26 PM  Show Profile
It's Gaelic, and it means "A Hundred Thousand Welcomes" :)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Molly! That is neat! Are you of Gaelic background?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page