mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  6:22:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am Irish :) My family hails from Counties Tipperary and Limerick in Ireland, albeit a couple hundred years ago :D.

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  08:58:37 AM  Show Profile
I have received one lovely piece of mail art as well. It is beautiful!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  4:34:45 PM  Show Profile
I received one too! Thanks Eileen, it's beautiful. I'm still working on mine girls!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  11:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
Sometime back I received mail art from Eileen and then after the list came out I received another beautiful one from Eileen Thanks so much I agree it is so nice to get real mail just for me. I am a little slow getting mine out but will start soon.I have ben extremely busy. Thanks again. eileen your flowers a re beautiful.
Robin In Western Washington

" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  5:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I'll be working on more to send out this weekend, hopefully!!!! (That's the plan anyway) Have a great weekend, Ladies!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Edited by - mollymae on Jun 10 2005 5:12:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  7:12:03 PM  Show Profile
Would someone, anyone, mind posting a few pics of their mail art? I'm having a bit of trouble envisioning what this is/how it looks, etc. Guess my creativity is not cooperating. Thanks in advance!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  11:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, I was wondering the same thing also.Sounds a neat idea, but I haven't a clue on what to send.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Last night I went to an art exhibit reception (I have three pieces in it, but that is beside the point!) and I saw the most interesting mixed media pieces. They were small, and framed but they would make great mail art unframed. Anyway, the artist had pasted small pieces of translucent paper with her favorite poems on it, just bits and snatches of the poem, onto a colored paper and then overlayed it with torn pieces of old photos and a smashed pop bottle cap painted gold. It was bordered by ink flowers, and it also had pieces of paper actually sewn together with golden metallic thread! It was so interesting to look at, like a little window on a world. I thought of mail art when I saw it!

This project seems fun because it can be anything! Just scraps put together. Think scrapbooking gone postal!

Ribbon, buttons, dried flowers, bits of lace, real leaves, hand drawings, photos, and on and on! I am going to join in too when I get some addresses. I guess when a piece is finished, it can go into a protective envelope so it does not get messed up in the mail, right Connio?

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 11 2005 10:38:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for that description, Jeanne! That helps me alot.
Please do tell us about your art that is also in the show. I would love to know, so brag on yourself a bit, ok?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Jp, Glad you are joining up! I am having so much fun! I just sent 6 pieces out today! I used small square bubble wrap protective USPost envelopes. Found them at Wal-Mart. It's been slow going sending them out but find I have the time late at night to get them completed.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  1:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - what were your 6 pieces like? Give us a hint. Thanks for the envelope suggestion. I just got my addresses, so that will be my project for the coming week - to make something that I will only know what it is when I am done!

Clare - I do black/white photography. The three pieces in the show right now are photographs I took on my sojourns to the Gulf beaches. One is of a forlorn, battered and weathered fishing boat sitting high and dry in the middle of a field! The name of the boat, still clearly painted on the side, is Drifter! Isn't that funny? So I trekked out into the field and photographed it. Another is of a palm tree growing behind a lighthouse near here. It's trunk curves out and then up over the water, and the light on it the day I took the photo was so dreamy. It is called Beyond the Lighthouse. The third one I took was shot upward through the spokes of a derelict satellite dish - the old mesh-type big kind. The sun was coming through it and slanting rays of light, and I called it Shining Through. The spokes of the dish are very geometrical looking and the sun so bright. Anyway, I have gone on long enough. I love to look for that elusive moment when I take photos. No digital for me yet, just the old fashion 35 mm.

Well, I look forward to mail art! This will be fun!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  1:35:34 PM  Show Profile

I'd love to join the fun, I miss snail mail too! Sue

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, Without giving too much away...They are nostalgic in nature, used vintage floral wall paper print papers, and a hand drawn picture in black ink. That's all I'm going to say cause I don't want to spoil the surprise! A few may be some watercolor pictures. They are rather small in size, about 5x5" I think. I am rather pleased on how they are turning out. How are you doing JP in the Arlene storm? has your area been hit hard. I am thinking of you.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls. It is so exciting to see ya'll discussing mail art. I am certainly no authority, and your ideas sound so beautiful. I would think that protective wrapping would be a great idea. I intend to frame Eileen's lovely floral pieces that I have received. My sister, who is named Jamie and is participating, received a beautiful collage piece from Lori recently. She was thrilled and inspired to start creating.

I hope to make more progress on mine this weekend, but for any of you who received my updated list this morning, you could probably tell that I was a little catatonic having had only 3 hours of sleep last night, and I was trying to update the list from the reference desk at the library (bad idea). Slowly but surely my art pieces will get mailed out. Tomorrow I am helping my brother clear brush from his property, in the afternoon I have 3 extra dogs coming to visit for a week (to join my even dozen dogs, and in the evening, I need to get caught up on about 20 loads of dog bedding!! Then back to work on Monday!

Have fun. This is just great, and I know that our mail art project will make Mary Jane proud!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile
WOW! This is so interesting, looks like mailart is just about anything you can do to decorate or illustrate something inside an envelope or the out side of the envelope. It becomes art whenever the sender or reciever says it is! I love it! ~Kathy

http://www.dragonflydream.com/MailArt.html

Connio, Thank you for coordinating this I hope to get in touch with you soon.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  7:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi all - this is off the subject of mail art, but we made it through the storm okay. Lots of rain and breeziness, but not even enough to keep people at home. Thank God. Thank you for asking, Lori and Meadowlark, and thank you both for giving little hints about your mail art! Lori - good luck with your exhibit. Glad you are back home. Where in Florida were you?
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  8:08:10 PM  Show Profile
If you are willing to post to New Zealand, I would love to join this too.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  9:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Bubblesnz, It would be great if you joined the group! I would love to send you a piece of mail art to New Zealand! Just email Connie with your postal address (Her call name is Connio)and she will email you back with a list of postal addresses of the mail art group. Hope this helps. Good luck Lori on your exhibit. Creating art can be exhausting and challenging but when everything "clicks" it must be great and so rewarding! JP, your photography sounds beautiful. Will you incorporate it into your mail art? Hope so...would love to see a peak! Happy "arting"!

Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  11:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Cool, thanks Meadowlark, have emailed her. Now have I got this right. You do a bit of artwork or something on a card, and send it.? Have never heard of this sort of thing before.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  04:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone! It's been a crazy week with this one to go before school is out, so I am a little slow getting mine out but... they will be coming to a mailbox near you...soon!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Helen, Your art is yours and yours alone...In other words whatever the spirit moves you on, create, and send it on! That is the cool thing about this, no one is judging our stuff. You can use whatever materials you have on hand...I have even considered using small twigs from a bird's nest on my piece. Thought it best to stick with my papers and pens. Scraps, fabric, stamps, old faded pics, the list is endless...So have fun! I plan on displaying my mailart treasures by hanging them on a small wire in my stair landing with little doll clothespins. Check out that website Kathy A. posted. It has lots of examples!

Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Meadowlark, it is all alot clearer now, cant wait to get started.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  5:58:41 PM  Show Profile
I recently signed up for mail art and want to know if the idea is to send to everyone on the list starting with the person just after my name . . . or is there another way this works. Just checking.
Thanks,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  7:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, Yes,you can either choose to send a piece to the next person after your name and the person last on the list would send it to the person at the top...or send to everyone on the list. The options are yours. I am sending something to everyone. Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  5:15:06 PM  Show Profile
The mail gods sent back some of the insulated square mail art to me today. They put a sticker with a message that I needed to give them 12 cents more per mailer. Something about the art could not go through their standard sorting machines. I have appeased the mail gods and given them more money. Hopefully they will see that the mail gets to where it should go. Bramble, you must have pleased the gods because your mailart did not come back to me I am hoping it may have slipped through the eyes of the postal sentinals...If not...sorry for the extra twelve cents you may have to give them So BE WARNED...the mail gods are watching!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page