Page: of 2

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile
We have a woven grapevine star with tiny white lights, which we love a lot. How do you top your Christmas tree? Inquiring minds and all

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  11:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes it's a star, sometimes an angel...we've also had Santas, and, most recently, one of those old blown glass finials. I change my tree every year using things I already have, so the topper usually coordinates with the rest of the decor. One year our entire tree was done in our son's little baby toys, and the Fisher Price teething star was the topper - it was a favorite among everyone who visited! I would love to see a picture of your tree once it's up, Annika! It sounds lovely! Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  11:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini! =) I can't wait to see what you do with your tree this year!
So let's post photos!
Hugs!
Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  11:59:58 AM  Show Profile
It's a bronze colored metal star that lights from within, that Jus and I bought when we first got married and didn't have 2 nickels to rub together (not much has changed!). We bought our tree that year at Kroger--the last of the 2 left on Christmas Eve in the snow, marked down to $10.00 and we bought the star at Homegoods and all the balls and ornaments at 60% off sales...I love that star to pieces!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  12:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I have an angel Mother and I bought it years ago and I still use it every year. She is white with a feathery dress, real pretty.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

http://pinkprincesscreations.blogspot.com/ My Creations blog
Go to Top of Page

AngelaJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Angela
Pinckney Mi
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Send AngelaJoy an AOL message
I have blue foil star with an angel in the middle of it. It has a spot for a light. This was probably from the fifties, and was my parents before it was handed down to me. It holds special memories, and gets passed between siblings for all to share. When I don't have it I use a vintage topper from the thrift store. I imagine at one time it held special memories too....
Angie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Mine is a big rustic punched tin star..we have had it for over 25 years..love it. I grew up with my mom and dad putting an angel on their tree and decided right away that I wanted to do a star. Not sure why..just did..and I love it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  6:32:12 PM  Show Profile
We have a gold and pearlescent star. This year I want something different but I'm not sure what.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  04:28:08 AM  Show Profile
I have an angel bear - got it quite a few years ago from Boyds Bears, and it is so cute. When I was growing up we had an angel with the fiberglass hair and wings, and my mom (81) still puts it on her tree every year.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  05:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have an angel - my husband picked it out early in our married life. I lost my husband of 40 years in April - placing the angel on the tree this year will be bittersweet. The angel was special to us, and is precious to me now.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
hiddentreasures-bluff.blogspot.com
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile
star!

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  08:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, Gail. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, your angel will be very special.

We have an angel, too. I grew up with one that my parents had that was pink with feathers (sounds a bit like Dutchy's). Then when I got married, my husband had grown up with a star & I with an angel. We went back & forth about a tree topper. Then later, once we started adopting our children, we were in a store that had a multi-racial angel. She was on clearance and all alone on the shelf as the last angel, so we "adopted" her. She's wears a lovely lace outfit. I love her. It made me sad thinking she was all alone on that shelf (I know it may sound corny). So she sits on our tree & is one of my favorite Christmas decorations.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  08:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Treasure the angel , Gail and all of the wonderful memories that go with it. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and I'm hoping that you have friends and family to spend time with.

Jewel, your angel sounds lovely =) I have an ethnic angel too and though she is a figurine and not a tree topper, I too found her standing all alone on a shelf and adopted her. She is just beautiful with the dark skin and the white and gold robes...we love her!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  08:26:56 AM  Show Profile
We have an angel in a simple creamy gauzy dress with feathered wings. When I bought it I thought it was so beautiful, all the other angels had fair creamy skin,lots of Scandinavians in MInnesota. This one's skin was a glowing light brown. Now years later our son's girl friend from Cambodia has the same skin tone.

Gail,
Our thoughts are with you and all the others who have lost loved ones this year. I remember the first year Dad was gone and Mom wasn't going to even have a Christmas tree but we kids made sure it was up. Remember to share your love with those still here and I'm sure it will bring a smile to those angels looking down.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile
I have a cinnamon stick star on our tree (homemade of course) decorated with thin green ribbon and a few mini-berries.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Ann2144
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  12:21:40 PM  Show Profile
We have a lovely red and white angel. My husband and I bought it together. It is so fun to read all of your stories! Thanks for sharing!

Ann2144

Love Each Other
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile
We put a lovely porcelain and lace angel on top of our tree for the first 18 years of our marriage and then we switched to a a gold and lace star.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  11:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Early in my marriage it was an angel. Now on my main tree it's a Hallmark Star. It also has only hallmark ornaments that I began collecting when we got married in 1969. I have a tree in every room ranging from 2 to 7 1/2 feet and they all have a different theme. Angels, snowmen, santas, homemade etc. Takes days to decorate. Last year I put some of them away fully decorated. Took me a long time to get smart.LOL! The main 7 1/2 Hallmark tree still needs to be decorated. The main thing is every tree has to have a nativity set under it and they do. Love to decorate for Jesus!

Gail...So sorry for your loss. Remember the good times and that will be your strength with Gods help.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  5:39:57 PM  Show Profile
We have a woodland Santa! He is holding a garland of evergreens and birch, with little critters around him.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  5:51:34 PM  Show Profile
growing up was one of those glass "spires"-- raising my kids we had angels we had stars we had spires.....last year, we moved from a large home to a teensy trailer right before Christmas- we used our live pine (norfolk? norway? sorry-brain fart!!) as our tree on top of the console tv (weren't unpacked at all!) --this year; i'm spending the holiday alone in the trailer and not sure which tree -probly a table top with mini ornaments so i think it's a star.....

i bought (lil plastic) walnuts with a nativity for each of my grandkids- i tucked them in a cute bag like for wedding treats- and told the kids that if they put that ornament on the tree each year they would know that i had one too- and so we were together even tho we live 100's of miles apart!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  8:41:59 PM  Show Profile
We had an angel for years, til she broke. Now we have a star with a profile of Hans Christian Andersen on it. It is quite unique, a gift from my in-laws in Denmark. It is really pretty. I'll hand it down to my daughter someday.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  07:45:27 AM  Show Profile
I prefer a star. I don't know makes me think of the christmas North star. Right now I have a lighted one but I've always liked the one I had as a child and my mom still has, it's a styrafoam star covered in foil with a picture of Jesus. I tried to make my own but the husband didn't like it much.

I'm sooo in the mood for christmas!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile
When my children were small, many many years ago. We got a cream cloth angel with quilted wings. I still put her on top of our tree now. I love that angel, she reminds me of the happy times when my children were still at home. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile
we always have a angel that my grandma crochet, she made them when our great grandma died and its very special to me
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  11:49:15 AM  Show Profile
We do two trees and both have angels, one that I made from satin with an embroidered face and quilted wings, that tree is always all handmade ornaments or special collected ones. The other tree is a procelin angel with feather wings and handblown glass ornaments.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Freyaskitty
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Lisa
Oklahoma City OK
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  12:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Freyaskitty a Yahoo! Message
What a fun thread!

My topper is the blue/black facinator I wore on my wedding day. It's really pretty and has several sparkly rhinestones and feathers. Quite fancy! Our tree is a bit wacky (based on I'll Have a Blue Christmas by Elvis), so it's perfect!

Lisa :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Star or angel on your tree top ? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page