Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  12:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Today is Winter Solstice ladies and if you were here with me you would notice that at 3:30 in the afternoon it is now very dark! The sun came up about 7 am and already it's dark and it's only 3:30 in the afternoon! I live in "the Sunrise County" where the sun rises first in the U.S. and even though we are part of the lower 48 you would think we are in Alaska! I hate it! I was told to take 5000 mg of vitamin D daily because we don't get enough sun. But to the rest of you Happy Winter!

Listening to the scanner here at work we are having freezing rain and there are a lot of folks off the roads keeping our deputies busy. The DH had to drive to Augusta today for a meeting so I sure hope he makes it home ok. It's a 3 hour drive each way under normal condition.

Since I'm at work and have a few minutes I thought I would tell you all about some of our holiday traditions after reading others. Hope that's ok? I know, I write a lot because I type fast and yet I don't speak a lot, lol. While I am an American, my blood line is 100% Swedish so our traditions are geared to those of Sweden. My daughter always left rice pudding out on the table Christmas Eve for the Tomte. He watches over your farm, house, animals, and all he asks is one bowl of rice pudding Christmas Eve. She also left cookies for Santa by the fireplafcde just to be safe.

Christmas Eve we normally have friends and family over and have a traditional Swedish Smorgasbord but only with food our friends will eat. I don't know to many folks who will eat Lutefisk for example! But we have Swedish Meatballs, lefsa, pickled beets, ham, rice pudding, peas and small onions in dill, Salmon, tiny potatos, cheese, rolls, and of course 7 different deserts, mostly cookies. Our daughter was allowed to open two presents Christmas Eve; one was always PJ's and a new book so she looked good for the Tomte and Santa and the second was a toy that is our "Christmas toy" and they only come out to play with at Christmas. That is a DH tradition. Now that we are older, we have tons of toys under the tree and no presents, lol! But I still get down and play with them. ;) Then we go to our Church service at 11:00 P.M.

Christmas morning we have muffins, doughnuts, fruit, coffee, & lignonberry juice while opening presents and stockings. Then, depending on if we are alone or the family is planning on coming over we either watch A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life and eat leftovers or if we are expecting guests we get dressed up and make another big dinner. This year it will be a PJ day and we won't have to do anything Christmas Day that we don't want to do, AWESOME! It is so much easier and relaxing.

As a child though we always opened presents Christmas Eve at my grandparents and spent it with them and on Christmas morning we would go to whoever's home on my fathers side was hosting Christmas that year and have a huge dinner with all the Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. But once Dad died we stopped doing that and just spent it with my grandparents, which was fine with us!

Someone mentioned family dynamics and I must say, I was brought up that you always step up to the plate and take care of each other. I bring this up because at my grandparents there was them, my great-grandmother, my Aunt and one cousin all under one roof. When Dad died we lived there for a while too. Fast forward to me as an adult in Maine and when I heard my elderly unmarried Aunt (different one) was starting to have trouble we moved her from Seattle to our home in two weeks and she lived with us for the next 9 years until she passed away. My DH and DD had never met her, I had met her only twice in my life when we decided to do this. But being she was family and needed someone, we took her in. It was like having another child for me and I miss her dearly! She was the cutest, most grateful, most pleasant person you could ever meet. People in town still talk about her she was such a dear. I think because we can be so far away from family these days or we are more "selfish" as a society we have lost that wonderful part of being Americans. Back then and back when our parents were growing up it was common place to take care of your elders. I have always loved having many generations in one house because I have learned so much, but then that is how I was raised and it's just my two cents.

Have a very Merry Christmas ladies! Don't forget to breath, sit back and take it all in, and most of all relax and enjoy it all!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  1:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow Ginny, what nice traditions you have. You are very lucky to have known your grandmother and great aunts. Both my grandmothers died before I was born. One of the grandpas lived with us but the other was far away so only saw him every year or two. Both my mom and dad were of German decent. Then I married a Norwegian and we live in an area where there are lots of Norwegians to feed us interesting foods. I refuse to eat lutefisk but enjoy lefsa. 'Yaw. It is goot'

one last thought on families: let's face it this is no longer a 'Donna Reed' world even if 'Father knows Best'. People can choose to be happy or not - kind or not. We live in a world where everyone wants to be 'center stage'. Usually people like this have no self confidence. We must accept everyone just as they are and not be so quick to pass judgement. Lets face it, we all want to be liked, but there are only a few people in our lives at any given time that like us back. Enough said.

Judy, As I grow older I realize that my pastor, doctors, dentist, bankers, insurance agents, ect. are all younger than I am. I have walked through the fire, but they have yet to smell the smoke. LOL

Ginny, Happy winter sulstice to you also. It gets dark by 5:00 here in Iowa right now. sun comes up 7:00ish. I'm glad I'm retired so don't have to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I hated that!!!!

Chris the birdhouse is lovely. You are lucky to have such wonderful friends.

Nancy, Hubby and I like oven roasted potatoes as well. Sometimes I use regular spuds and sometimes I use sweet potatoes. I think I know what we will have for dinner. LOL

Got another birthday card today. You gals sure know how to spoil me. Thank you one and all. Gotta get back to the kitchen. My chocolate sauce should be cool and ready to put in jars, and I want to make the oldfashioned chex mix before I start dinner.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  6:46:41 PM  Show Profile
I am impressed that so many of us are still standing!

My Santa is on his way home from work and has the next two weeks off. He is taking me out for dinner (much deserved break from the kitchen).

I am thinking I will be able to actually be able to sit and respond to all of you sometime next week. Tomorrow I have to finish my Christmas shopping for SIL, BIL & MIL. That should be relatively easy. Then I have to finish my BFF's quilt.

Thank you so much - I have received so many absolutely lovely Christmas greetings from so many farmgirls .. including a couple of e-mails which warmed my heart. You have all become much more than names on this forum ... you are truly dear friends and I adore you.

Happiness and figgy pudding ....

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  02:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

Betty and Nancy, I have to join you in your view of no thank you, no more gifts. It was a hard decision, but my husband and I made it this year, too. Besides no thank you or even acknowledgement that a gift even arrived, we never got birthday or holiday greetings (including Mother's and Father's Day) of any kind. It is hurtful and you just start to feel so taken advantage of that it is easier to not participate in the entire pretense of closeness anymore. I appreciate everyones candor on the subject. It helps to know we aren't alone in our feelings!

When I was raising our kids, our rule was you don't play with the toy, etc. until your thank you is written. They usually were written fairly quickly (unless the gift was a real dud!). A phone call to grandparents to say thank you, let the kids play with those gifts immediately, but a written thank you always followed. My MIL has been very open about how much she appreciated that over the years.

Thelma, I saw on our news that today we will have 8 hours and 26 minutes of daylight today. And then the days start to get longer and we are working our way toward Spring!! Sounds like your daylight is even shorter than ours. Happy First Day of Winter.

Ginny, you are certainly an example of how to treat our family members. Your Aunt sounds like a doll. How nice that you all enjoyed each other for those years. You have my sincere admiration.

Chris, I covet your new birdhouse. How cute! What a great surprise to find. How nice that you were able to catch up with your friends at the restaurant so that you could visit.

Well, I am up in the middle of the night. I would finish my wrapping, but I would wait DH and he is not feeling too well, so I get to catch up with all of you.

Our Christmas dinner will be on Christmas Day. It will be DH, our daughter, maybe her boyfriend and me. Very low key. My daughter is bringing some dip, chips, crudite tray, cheese and crackers, and cranberries. I'll be making spiral cut ham, potatoes, roasted veggies, deviled eggs and rolls. We will all enjoy homemade apple pie with crumb topping for dessert. Pretty simple menu.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  05:33:53 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone--ginny--i LOVE all your traditions. thanks so much for telling us all about them. the thing about the toys that only come out at Christmas is such a neat idea. does one of your girls wear the candle wreath and sing santa lucia on Christmas morning? maybe that's not the right holiday--not swedish so i might be wrong. i also love marianne's rule about thank you notes and toys. people are forgetting how to express gratitude in today's world, and in the forgetting of that they are forgetting how to FEEL grateful as well. now we feel abused if we don't get what we want, rather than feel grateful for what we do receive. its not a good trend.
and speaking of receiving--here is a pic of the birdhouse that harold made for me. right now it's on the headboard over the bed so i can look at it every day through the winter. it actually looks really good there.

well---my mom called to say she is feeling much better. the dr. used an x ray machine and injected dye so he could see exactly where to put the injection. he told her he had not been correct with the first shot (she was amazed at his honesty and humility--i told her that is one good doctor and she is lucky to have gone to him) but now he knows exactly where the problem is. i think the first time she was in such pain he just took his best guess rather than subject her to a bunch of x rays and dye. she did get some relief from that first shot, but not enough.
anyway--she has decided they will come here for Christmas--so we will go up and get them and have what is our tradition. i always make 3 kinds of soup and 3 kinds of salad. i try to make unusual things that they don't eat as a rule, and use ingredients that are novel. my mom is a foodie so she always enjoys exotic experiments. this year we are trying lemon chicken soup with cappelini, beef tortellini soup, and a split pea and pistou soup. salads are greens and citrus, a black eyed pea based salad, and sweet potato/apple salad with ginger dressing. for dessert i found a recipe for ricotta orange pound cake with strawberries. might find one other chocolate recipe of some sort. we always have cold cuts and cheese for nice sandwiches too. this way there are plenty of leftovers for them to take home and have for several lunches afterwards. my dad has to have soup every day anyway, so this works out well. we usually have a vote and one soup almost always is the clear winner. some years i repeat soups from years past, but this year they are all new.
so today i am headed for the basement to dig out all the fun Christmas table stuff, make my grocery list and work on cleaning. its been a couple years since rob's(DH) mom passed away, and its nice to be in the entertaining mode again. i will get out a piece of her good silver so she will be present at the buffet as well. she was the ultimate all time "foodie" and we always pay tribute to her on the holidays.
had a great visit with my dear friend yesterday before she heads off to florida. she is caring for her mom and grandkids and confessed to me right now she basically has no life of her own. i need to make her a priority in my head right now and send her some happy stuff while she is away.
those of you who are extremely busy in this same way--do you have any suggestions of things i could send her through the winter that would make life more enjoyable? i know thats kind of an open ended question, but i would like to have some ideas just to broaden my own. thanks! chris

not a boy--long story

Edited by - Clumboy on Dec 22 2011 05:36:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  07:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
THANK YOU, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, VERY, VERY MUCH, "Farmgirls Over 50" for BLESSING me, in a huge way, with the birthday cards!!!

I APPRECIATE IT MORE THAN WORDS CAN EXPRESS!!!!
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  08:17:45 AM  Show Profile
Thelma - I am sorry if I offended you because what you said is what I was thinking. I just didn't put it in writing well. Society as a whole seems to be a very self centered society these days is what I was thinking. And living so far apart as we do makes it difficult to be close to one another. And you are very right that it's up to the individual to be happy or not. I am not judging anyone so please don't take it that way, I simply think we have lost something in our society that we need to find again. Please accept my apology.

Marianne - Your dinner sounds wonderful to me! You may think it's simple but sounds like a wonderful day will be had at your house! And I love the idea of making the kids write or call with Thank You's before they can play with something. Very important to be grateful! I just made my Mother some cards for her Thank You's because she asked me to. They have Dahla horses cut out of fabric and heat bonded onto the card. I think they are cute, may just make some for myself too!

Chris - Girls wear the wreath with candles on St. Lucia Day which is December 13th and yes mine has done it only the wreath she used has fake candles so her head doesn't get burned,lol! If I can find the photo of her first time I'll post it. LOVE the birdhouse too. What a wonderful gift! And I think the soup and salad tradition is super!!! May have to try that. It would sure be easier because you can make much of it ahead of time. Love that idea!!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  09:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Cute bird houses, that man is talented.
How cool to still be able to see wagon tracks on the prarie! Isn't that amazing!Gives me goose-bumps! I love reading my old collection of Arizona Highways!They make me feel warm on cold,blustery winter days!(if it ever gets here)hahahaIs anyone having snow yet? We had rain yesterday. Actually, we had sun, rain, sun, black sky, rain, sun...oh...and then wind gusts...most of it between 1 and 5 PM!...AND...it got up to 61 today, as if we live in S.CA. It's officially "Crazy-Weather!"
Nancy, how was the new Sherlock Holmes movie? I don't call it entertainment either if it has all that bad language,nudity(or close to it),and violence!It just isn't worth the money, even though our matinees are only $2 bucks.
What wonderful traditions some of you have. I love reading about all of them.You were raised around lots of Love&Respect for elders. I was too! That's why I would rather hang around the older folk to this day. But it gets harder & harder to find any, since I AM one of them now! hahahaha
Well, gotta finish DH's Christmas stocking.
Keep the stories, memories&traditions coming. To me That IS Christmas!Love Yuns!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies... Just wanted to pop in here..I know I said I was leaving the group because of everything going on and I felt so overwhelmed. But Once again my family needs your prayers. Sometimes you just wonder how on earth a family can go through so much. I think the good Lord is trying to stress how thankful we should be for his blessings. Tues. evening my sister, brother-in-law, and 2 nieces lost their home and all of their possessions in a house fire. Please include them in your prayers. I am thankful for bad news that could have been worse, and that I can tell them all today that I am glad they are okay. The house had an old wall heater in the bathroom. They have never used it and didn't even know how to turn it on. But electric still ran to it and it caused the fire. So I suppose we should remove those old heaters that are not in use. I am so looking forward to 2012 and to a wonderful year. One that I will remember for all the wonderful blessings.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Thelma
True Blue Farmgirl

395 Posts

Thelma
Thompson Iowa
USA
395 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  4:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Ginny, you most certainly did not offend me. I'm sorry I came across that way. Words we use while chatting can be interpreted many ways. It takes a lot to annoy me. I am glad you agree with me.

Reading these responses, I guess I am very lucky that my boys and their families live so close. One lives 45 minutes from us and the other is 1hr.15 min away - both in the same direction. My problem is not being able to get them together at the same time. One has to work around his daughter's visitation with his ex and the other is a police officer and holiday pay is pretty darn good. The boys don't get along very well and their ladies like to mix it up so having two seperate get togethers reduces a lot of tension.

Oh Patty! How awful! I am praying that 2012 will allow you a 'happy dance' every day.

My dear farm sisters, you are so very special to me. Thanks again for all the holiday and birthday cards. I have them in a bassket by my favorite chair and look at them often. I most likely won't be chatting the next 3 or 4 days. Stay happy and healthy, smile, and do something special for yourself! MERRY CHRISTMAS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME - AND HAPPY NEW YEAR - AND ANY OTHER HOLIDAY YOU CELEBRATE.

Edited by - Thelma on Dec 22 2011 4:45:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  5:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I too am very happy for all of the winter holiday and birthday cards that are arriving in my mailbox. I have never had so many cards hanging on the doorframe to the kitchen. It is a wide opening that does not have a door but does have the doorway trim. I really like them all the store bought and home made ones.

When I was in elementary school my great aunt and grandmother on my mother's side lived with us. I wish now that my children lived in a multigenerational house hold. It was so nice to have someone around who had time to listen to what ever I had to tell her.

I think I would not like lutefisk although I do like pickled herring so maybe I should give it a try sometime. I do like lefsa.

The fire was awful. Three years ago now a mother and father dropped off their two daughters at our house for a Girl Scout meeting and by the time they drove the three miles home their house was engulfed. We are all greatful that they survived. If there is anything your sister, bil and nieces need that I could send let me know. I know that what my friend was most upset about besides losing her pets was losing all of her pictures of her children.

Today was 39 degrees people were walking around in long sleeve tshirts. Hopefully tonight it will cool down and we will get a couple of inches of snow so we will have a white Christmas.

Last week sometime the road crew dragged three trees up to our front yard where I have been cutting up firewood. I have looked and I am not sure whether Brian cut down the trees or dragged up trees that I had cut down to clear around an old apple tree. Anyway I blocked them up for next year's firewood. The sun was so warm that I cut in just my sweatshirt. Now the sledding hill is clear again if we ever get to use it this winter.

I think the soup tradition sounds yummy.

I tried to catch some of the guinea fowl to put in their house today. I got hold of the black one by its tail. It was so upset that it flapped and flapped trying to get away that some of its tail feathers where I was holding came out. It can still fly so I did not damage it too badly. I did manage to catch one other and put it in the house and it was so upset to be away from the others that I should it the door. I think I need help and we need to do it at night so we can catch them all. then again why do I want to catch them at all I guess so I can have some of their eggs when they start laying and so if they hatch babies some of them will not get eaten by the wild things. They seem to be pretty content living out in the yard.

Have a good evening and good holidays.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  9:20:38 PM  Show Profile
I haven't been on for a few days, and I am seeing again that so many things are happening. Oh Patty, I am so sorry that your sister lost her house. It is not only the devastation, but the memories, the pictures etc that are gone too. I hope that you will reconsider and pop in from time to time to just say hello. You are too precious for us to lose now. It doesn't have to be daily or a long note...just a note. Please see if that will work. There is a scripture, and I haven't time to look it up now, but it in essence says that God will give us beauty for ashes, and joy for mourning. He will carry your family through this...as hard as it must be now. I just have no conception for what you are dealing with now. regardless...you are in my prayers, and I know that God will not let you down..even though it may seem like it now.

On another note, I am so happy to be seeing the different cards, notes and handwriting you all have. really snail mail does make it so much personal, at least for me. It saddens me that postage has to go up at the beginning of the year. Letters are one thing, but being in swaps and just sending things will make it a little harder for those of us who are financially strapped.

Today is my son's 41 birthday. My daughter's is the 27th. It is always hectic at this time of year. So, if I am not on the computer for a few days, may you all have a blessed and holy Christmas as we remember what one little boy did for the salvation of the world. Be safe and many hugs, dear sisters.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  03:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Patty,
My prayers are with your sister and her family. What a horrible disaster. Thank goodness everyone is safe, but I know this must just destroy their holidays. I am so sorry for their loss.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  05:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Patty, I am so sorry to hear about your sister and her family losing everything. She and her family are in my prayers. How awful to have such a tragedy. Thank God everyone is okay and safe. I know how sad they must be. I pray God will give them comfort and strength to see them through all of this.

I am glad that you birthday girls are enjoying all your cards. It is so nice to get cards by way of snail mail. It is too bad that postal prices keep going up. I sent a package this year that cost more to send than the gift inside cost.

The Sherlock Holmes movie was very good. One thing I can say that is really positive about this film is that there is no foul language in it at all. What a pleasure to see a movie today that is interesting and is without that awful, nasty language. Robert Downey Jr. finally got a hold of his life. He plays Sherlock Holmes well. Lots of disguises and action and a surprise at the end. Really fooled me. It left the audience laughing and amazed.

Everyone, have a blessed Christmas. Pray for those in need and give hugs and kisses to those nearest and dearest. Live life to the fullest. You are all so dear to me. Love you all.

Hugs and squeezies,

Nancy

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.

Some gives are big, some gives are small. The gift from the heart is the best gift of all.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  08:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Love reading about all the traditions you gals have.We have one coming up where we eat kraut/pork and mashed potatoes at midnight. LOVE that stuff and hubby eats it for breakfast later that same day.
Thanks for all the cards I received, never got back half what i sent out to family,but love to send them. All your cards cheer me up daily as i pass through the door frame where i taped them.
Tomorrow is going to be a hard day for me to deal with as hubby's family gathers for our Christmas dinner. Asking for your prayers that things go smoothly.

Merry Christmas ladies, love, hugs and prayers to all.. Patsy

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile
What was life like before this farm? I love it here. I am transported by each of you to another world. It is so incredibly wonderful. And, at times, heartbreaking.

Patty, I am so sorry that a fire took your sister's and her family's home. I shall pray that they come through this tragedy with hope for the future. Losing all their possessions is devastating. They will have their memories, and they are all safe, and while that is some comfort ... the stress, the loss, the devastating sadness will take time to heal. As Holly and others rally, I'd like to add my support ... in any way I can. Please let us know if, beyond prayers, there is anything we can do or send.

I am still rushing about - but will be back soon. I have more cards from farmgirls in our mail than from family. I hear all of you on the impersonal family greetings - if there is a greeting - but that's another post.

Oh, Thelma, I have a birthday card addressed to you in my "stuff to send" pile. I recall looking for your address - and thought I'd already sent one - so if you get 2 cards from me ... hey, gf, double your birthday fun!

Must dash for now ... you are going to be in "ugh-she goes on forEver" mode when I finally do get back and rolling.

Love you, girlfriends - I mean that - and Happy Christmas!

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  4:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Debra, Holly&Thelma...I would like your e-mail addresses, so I can mail you some of my e-cards that I love so much. They're just funfunfun!!!Please e-mail me!I mailed your snail-mail cards today.
Nancy, thanks for the movie update.We'd like to see the 1st one from last year, I think. We haven't seen it yet. Do you know the name of it? Or is it just Sherlock Holmes? Dunno!
Patsy, I thought about your situation today...will Pray for you!
Patty, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's house. I'll keep them in my Prayers!
Ok, Hubby's stocking is finally done. Will try to post a pic here.Bare with me, sometimes the puter fights me.

It's 29 inches long-with a 15 inch foot and 11 inches across top!
~~whew~~ my first Christmas craft in years. lololol

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Dec 23 2011 4:46:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  4:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello dear friends, just had a chance to get online for a minute, it is a stressful time but today I got to come back to my house and get my mail and check on some stray cats I put out food for and make sure my house is still standing. got several cards in the mail from you all, thanks so much, it means so much to me. Also thank you for your prayers. My brother is slowly going but he says he is not in pain so that is a good thing. He weighs 96 pounds.

I will be back when I can be, there is no internet service at my mom's or my brother's. Hope before too long I will be back home and can spend hours catching up on all the posts since I left, that will be so much fun. Anyway, happy holidays to all you and blessings to you and your loved ones, love you gals so much. I apologise for not getting Christmas cards out to everyone, they are still sitting on my kitchen counter. Glenda

Glenda #3534

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 23 2011 4:54:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  5:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Patty so sorry to hear about your sisters fire. Thank the Lord they are all ok. Judy, love the stocking, you did a great job girlfriend. Glenda, my prayers are with you sweetie and your mom and brother. I know it has to be painful to see him dealing with this, but remember your giving him the best, your love and time. Everyone have a wonderful holiday. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  5:51:59 PM  Show Profile
Patty, what a tradgedy at any time but at Christmas? I pray it will all work out for the best.

I made herb brad and lemon curd for my two friends and neighbors today. We always exchange gifts. I got them all finished and put the lemon curd in mason jars and used Christmas material around the top and tied a red bow on the jars. Would all of you like a good laugh at my expense? I keep jars out in the garage with my canner which I haven't used since we moved here 6 years ago. Well, hear the drum roll......I went to get two jars and found the two boxes of jars were full of strawberry jelly I made before we moved here and I'd completely forgotten about it. Alright! I can hear you all laughing....it is pretty funny. After Christmas I'll have to empty it all out and wash the jars.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  7:25:00 PM  Show Profile
*snicker*...sorry Betty,but that sounds like something that I would have done!
The reason I chose green/gold for the stocking is that DH is an ex-Army man and loves green and I got that material at Goodwill so cheap,it and the solid green that I used for the backing,so I couldn't resist. I think it is kind of "Country-ish" too!Thanks for te compliment!
Merry Christmas to those of you leaving early and those who are so busy! Love Ya Sista's! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
We'll see you all back here after the rush!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile
I like that stocking also. It's real pretty.
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  7:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Patty,

I just had a thought after closing my last post. Is there anything we can do for your sister and her family since they lost everything in the fire?

Edited by - desertwillow on Dec 23 2011 7:51:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  8:40:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies....
Tomorrow is my birthday and I cannot believe that I will be 59 years old!!!! What???? Wasn't I in 7th grade last year???? I want that time back. Wait...Maybe I can but a rope around time and hold it still. Nope...keeps slipping out. I guess "Time does not stand still"

Glenda I am praying for your brother.
Patty I am so sorry about your sister and her family. I know that they must be in shock of it all. I saw the pictures of the fire. Oh My! Prayers for them.
Patsy...Sounds like an Ohio thing to me...Sauerkraut and pork with mashed potatoes. That is what we have on New Years day. I love it.
Love the stocking Judy. How creative. I did get your e-card. Thank you so much.

Again thank you Farm Girls for sending the Christmas and birthday cards. I love getting them. This is like having pen pals...but can be in touch everyday. Merry Christams...

my mom's living room and the little village she and my dad made years ago.

debra e

Farmgirl Sister
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  10:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Holly, Dianne and Darlys for the Christmas cards. Darlys, thank you so much for the cute gingerbread man ornament...it is so adorable and looks so cute on my tree....I hope to everyone has a Merry Christmas, I am going to see my oldest son, DIL and grandboys for Christmas....will be back late Sunday....love you all...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 218 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Farmgirls over age 50 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page