Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  5:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Are you sending traditional Christmas cards this year? I used to have mine all done and ready to go by Thanksgiving, with the envelopes decorated and holiday stamps on them, but this year I haven't even started yet. I usually do a Christmas letter for my long-distance friends and family, but am on the fence about that as it seems redundant with everyone on Facebook. And the price of stamps is outrageous! Am I being a Scrooge? I know I will do them, but is anyone else out there not feeling like doing them this year?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4720 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4720 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  6:54:51 PM  Show Profile
I still send out cards. I send Christmas ones to my side of the family & our christian friends. I send winter cards to my husband's side (Muslim) and our non-christian friends.

Even with Email, I love sending and getting cards. I always write a special little message in each card and I enjoy reading what people write back. I have to admit, I find it more fun to receive mail in my mailbox then my computer!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  7:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, my Mom still sends cards every year. We always have pictures of her and I, and we really like receiving cards as well. It's more personal than just getting an email.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  10:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely, Nicole! My cards may be late sometimes, but I always send them! :)

We do that, too, Megan! I actually make our cards in a special photoshop-type program that came with our printer. I used to handwrite these huge letters to accompany the cards, too, but over the past few years it was all I could do to get a card out with a brief line or two.

For me, Christmas cards are such a treasured part of the holiday celebration. My son and I always race to be the first one at the mailbox, probably much to the chagrin of our now not-so-unsuspecting postman. ;) I especially look forward to hearing from loved ones who live far away - each card and each little message or picture is like a little visit, bringing to mind wonderful memories, announcing exciting news and sharing hopes for brighter tomorrows. The photographs are what I love receiving most, though. They are treasured gifts; precious glimpses in time telling the tale of another year's graces and blessings. I am deeply moved when I see the pictures of my aging loved ones; or of newly engaged or married couples; or of new babies that have arrived during the year; or of young children with big, toothless grins. I may not be able to share these moments in person throughout the year, but somehow through these photographs part of me magically gets to "be there." I just love that! Christmas cards are wonderful gifts to give and receive...and, for me, at least, it just wouldn't be Christmas without them! :)

Merry, Merry Christmas to all!

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  10:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
yes I do! I'm almost done with them too which I am really happy about because I always end up sending them after Christmas. lol This year I think I will be on time! YaY!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  12:18:20 AM  Show Profile
I will send a few cards through the mail, ofcourse to my brother in Thailand :) and a few to other friends. Overseas postage is so high, just can't afford sending out many. But that is oke, I will send e-cards to other friends overseas ;)

The other ones I can deliver myself here in the village(saves postage lol)I have NO idea how many cards I will receive. My brother is not big on sending snail mail haha, never was never will be.

I once participated in the "swap" here on MJF ...that was SO much fun. Almost every day a few cards would arrive, it really looked great seeing them on my walls and doors :D Brightened the whole room :D But money was not as tight as it is now so that made a lot of difference (plus I was able to buy stamps throughout the year to save the "end of year"build-up)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

http://pinkprincesscreations.blogspot.com/ My Creations blog
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  08:51:10 AM  Show Profile
I love sending out Christmas cards. On Monday I send out 70 cards. I have 50 more to go and I will be done. Most of the people I encounter prefer emails, facebook or twitter. There are selected few who prefer snailmails and that what I cherish more. I understand if they send me emails if there money is tight...otherwise I prefer snailmails (more personal).
Go to Top of Page

Ann2144
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  11:34:39 AM  Show Profile
I still send out cards every year. I know postage is expensive but I can find cards for $1 for 20 and that seems to offset the postage a bit. I do it more for me. I love personal mail. So much junk comes in and there's rarely anything that someone has spent the time and effort to write. I hope to do it until I die!
Merry Christmas!!

Love Each Other

Ann Farmgirl #2144
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  12:07:18 PM  Show Profile
I still send cards--I still have many elderly neighbors and friends that aren't on Facebook :) I also love getting Christmas cards, and it's an important part of my holiday season, connecting with people. Sadly, the last year has seen several family members pass away, so my address book has some "X" in it, but I do always love to send them.

I addressed my envelopes back in the first part of November!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ann2144
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  2:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni, I was addressing my cards before thanksgiving and people thought I was nuts! One year I did it in april, just to have the envelopes ready but too many people moved! LOL!

Love Each Other

Ann Farmgirl #2144
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  3:27:41 PM  Show Profile
i just mailed mine out today!! i still like to do the "traditional" christmas cards..... i did cut back a little, though. what i do is buy my cards after christmas for the next year---i like those cards that are 3-D and if they have any glitter on them, so much the better!! i send them to family (immediate and extended) and of course friends. however, i cut back on the friends list....as everyone says....it does get expensive. happy holidays everyone!!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  5:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Happy holidays everyone!
Nini, my friend's mom always does those, and it's always fun reading about things that you participated in too!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  5:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,
You all have inspired me yet again...I started mine, and they are helping me get into the Christmas Spirit. I just don't like feeling "behind", although I am always the first to send her cards out. I notice every year I get less and less cards, too, but I like getting cards, especially Christmas cards, in the mail. :) Thanks for the boost! I needed that.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  01:05:23 AM  Show Profile
on the Upside of this for me: I can deliver the cards I want to send to friends in my village myself lol. SO no stamps needed haha;) I too LOVE sending and receiving cards, so will do that here :D

http://pinkprincesscreations.blogspot.com/ My Creations blog
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  01:44:38 AM  Show Profile
I had cut back and saved the postage the last few years . . . but, I think this year Iwill send cards. I, too, have noticed fewer and fewer cards each year and it would be such a shame if they ever stopped altogether!

Thanks for the kick in the rear to get going and get em done!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Sending Christmas cards is my Christmas present to myself. I love hearing from people who only write me once a year at Christmas. I included my email address so if they want to reply by email they can.
My mom always sent holiday cards and I think it is a tradition I can carry on in her honor.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I just finished my today and hope to get them out tomorrow. I like to have them out by the 1st. Didn't happen this year. LOL

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Trying to LOL. Things keep getting in the way of my sitting down and writing them all out.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile
I do. I figure this, it's the one time a year everyone gets something from our family. I do a family newsletter and tuck it in.

miles of smiles~Peg
My Blogs:
http://unforgettable-peggraham.blogspot.com/
http://knitapalooza.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  8:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Keep going Annika! My Mom just realized that she needs to start them today! True lol moment.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  08:26:53 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I always send Christmas cards, nice way to stay in touch and helps to keep my husband working as he is a mailman!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  08:37:53 AM  Show Profile
He Sue, so your hubby is a "colleague" of mine lol

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  12:38:02 PM  Show Profile
I spend Saturday working on signing mine. Got about half of what I'll be sending out signed before my hand cramped up. Ordered the stamps today online since I haven't been able to make it to the post office. I need to get some differnt label sheets to do my addresses with since the ones I printed last year don't go well colorwise with the envelopes this year. I'm hoping to have them out by the end of the week at the latest.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  7:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I spent the morning updating my address list, and have received our photo cards from shutterfly. I'd like to keep sending them, although the cost is something I'm avoiding thinking of, and hope to continue receiving them in the mailbox. They are a nice Christmas tradition.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile
We usually send ours around New Years, or Ground Hogs Day or Valentines Day...errr...it's been a little ridiculous the past few years, because I've been so busy doing other things...but we get them out. We didn't do one this past year, but we are sending 2 years worth of news out for this year! So much to do! I gotta write my newspaper, I mean newsletter...

It's so much fun getting mail! I think it's important to keep sending them, cause even the people who prefer email generally don't even send out an email to us...so I think it's just a front! LOL!

People love them! Send your Christmas cards with zeal! :)

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  04:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Well, maybe I jinxed myself. I am working on mine, but realize I haven't received one single card from anyone else. Maybe everyone I know is behind too, but I usually have at least ONE. Feeling a bit like Charlie Brown, LOL.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Are you sending Christmas Cards? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page