CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  08:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever seen the price of real vanilla extract and thought "Gosh that is SO expensive!" and settled for the imitation? Now you can make your own ladies! It's insanely easy, but you have to be patient. Here you go!

You will need:
1.75 L Vodka
4 Whole Vanilla Beans

You can use any size vodka, but this seemed more cost effective. I buy Gordon's brand. You do not need top shelf quality vodka for this process. Don't waste your money, you can't tell the difference in the end.

To make:

Cut the ends of the vanilla beans. Drop into vodka. Wait 6 months. Yep, you read that right, 6 months! Shake once a week or so. Don't worry if you forget, just shake when you remember. It is soooo worth the wait. I then pour into a smaller glass bottle that is easier to handle when I'm cooking. Viola! You have your own incredibly yummy, wonderfully smelling vanilla extract. It has taken me well over a year to use it all and I bake A LOT. As you use your big bottle of vanilla, you can add more vodka from a fresh bottle and it keeps replenishing your supply, so you never have to run out! Also, you can make your own lemon extract the same way, but substitute real lemon peel for the vanilla beans.

You can pour the vodka into smaller decorative jars and add only one vanilla bean. This makes very pretty presents for Christmas!

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Edited by - CurlysQuilts on Apr 23 2011 08:32:09 AM

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  08:58:11 AM  Show Profile
Sarah~ While you are waiting the 6 months should you store it in a cabinet or can it sit on the counter? I am so excited to try this!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I stored mine in a cabinet. I honestly don't know if the counter is okay or not.

Curly's Quilts
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&vid=66

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have heard of doing this before but have never done it. I am quite tempted!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  4:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I'm going to try it. Thanks for posting it. It will be ready just in time for the holidays!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  5:13:29 PM  Show Profile
I've done this before and it is very good vanilla. I kept mine in a dark place because my bottle was clear. I figure store bought vanilla is in a brown bottle for a reason!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  5:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Elaine, on further consideration I am going to say that you should definitely store it in a cool dark place, just like any other cooking liquid. Just put it somewhere that you won't forget about it!

Alee, I think the time factor is a bit daunting when you first start out. I wavered back and forth for a couple of months before I took the plunge, but now I'll never go back! That and if your not used to buying alcohol, that can be a bit daunting too. I remember I babbled inanely to the checkout clerk about how we weren't going to drink this, but I was making vanilla extract...she thought I was crazy I'm sure.

Curly's Quilts

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  06:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Great! Your timing is perfect! What a fun and cute holiday gift idea. Will start now! Thanks!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  06:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was just thinking the same thing! This is the perfect time to start thinking of doing this for Christmas presents!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  05:54:06 AM  Show Profile
I too love vanilla, I have enough extract at the moment...my hubby was about to get me a case of it in big jars while in Mexico a few years ago....but I adore the vanilla beans 7 have learned that just because you scrap them out they are still good...did you know you can freeze what you don't use? Most people think its just the seeds they use....the bean part itself can be used over & over again until all the scent is gone....I when making vanilla bean ice cream scrap out the seeds to use but also throw in the bean itself into the ice cream maker...whenever the ice cream is done I wait until I find the bean, pull it out , rinse it off & throw it in the freezer for the next batch of ice cream.....you can also use the bean to flavor cream for coffee, tea ect....put in a sugar bowl full of sugar to flavor it.......can do this with powdered sugar&brown sugar as well....just use a bean you scraped but didn't use in any milk produce...or you will have soured milk & smell in your sugars...put it in a cup of boiling water & let set until water is cool, take out bean & put water in a spray bottle with more water if wanted & use as carpet/curtains freshner....good for pet beds also....if expensive curtains do it near the back of the hem to check if it leaves oil spots.....sometimes it can......Anything you use to freshner carpets with such as corn starch or baking soda can have a vanilla bean added to it....just make sure to seal it up for a while so you get the smell then use...but don't throw away the bean until you cant smell it anymore...just throw it in the freezer ...if left in freezer let thaw out & dry for a while before using in powder items.....Once smell is almost gone grind it up & put it in hamdmade soap.....put in with your coffee filter for a mild vanilla coffee.....mix with homemade body scrub....or if nothing else put in a small cloth bag & stick in your bedding drawer or towel drawer.....but they are wonderful & I try to use them for every bit of scent/favor i can get from them.......I just ordered 1/2 lb of madagascar beans for under $40 dollars & am sharing them with my sister....and a dear friend....they should last me for forever & a day with all that I can do with them.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

dena beans
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

dena
danville il
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  08:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow so many ideas!! Thank you for sharing!!

Dena
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  08:49:35 AM  Show Profile
You can also use the vodka (GRAIN VODKA-NOT POTATO!) for mint extract and lemon/orange extract as well! :) I've got those on my shelves here as well!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile
I've been making my own vanilla extract for a few years now. We like to use different alcohols to give the extracts different effects. I think our favorite is using spiced rum. Brandy is pretty good as well.

I'm impatient so we start using our vanilla after about 8 weeks. I make a quart mason jar amount at a time so even thought I'm using it, it's still getting better with age!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  2:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I love this idea. Do you have any special place you get the decorative jars? I think it's a great present and hostess gift.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  8:18:04 PM  Show Profile
I have come across the recipe for making vanilla before too, but wasn't sure about it. I think I will try it out. I have to try making the lemon and orange extracts also. Thank you for sharing so many great ideas!
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile
WOW! I had no idea it could be so easy to make along with the lemon and orange extract as well! Definitely the right time to start making some so they will be ready in time for the holidays to give as gifts, which will help me towards earning one of my merit badges

Thanks for sharing!!

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  08:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Fantastic! Thank you ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  11:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Decorative jars are just ones we recycle, as in reuse. We're in Vermont, so we have a lot of those leaf shaped jars for syrup that we get from the recycle center. Any pretty jar will do though.

Curly's Quilts

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  3:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I got a dozen really cheap, cute bottles online as well-put some grossgrain ribbon on and a cute tag and Christmas gifts for those you usually forget (postman, etc.) are taken care of!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  3:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Where do you get your beans from, I can't see spending 15.00 for 6 vanilla beans at the store, and I know there are some places that you can get 1/2 lb or more for nearly the same price. But there does seem to be some variaty in beans as well, there are a couple of different types. any input would be appreciated. I love Watkins vanilla the best of all of them but that is going at a pretty good clip being that I have stopped buying bakery items and am going as homemade as possible. I made cupcakes for grand daughters pre school and now in addition to cleaning houses have standing orders for cupcakes from moms, yikes.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  6:30:38 PM  Show Profile
I get my vanilla beans in the bulk section of our natural food store. You buy them by the pound, and it looks expensive, but one bean is a mere ounce or two, so you really only pay a dollar or two. Very reasonable. That's the best way to buy spices too. Much cheaper than in the store.

Curly's Quilts

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile
I get mine from www.beanilla.com

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  2:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Sarah I will have to try that! thank you!
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -My handcrafted Bath & Body Product line

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/farmgirl-crafting-group/ - A group for all farmgirls wanting to share their craft. Many resources and how-to's included in this group.

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1041166516 (Personal)

Nature Maiden Blog- http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  4:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I also make my own vanilla. For a smaller size recipe I use:

1 vanilla bean
3 oz Vodka
Wait for 4 wks.

I also store it in a dark place. I don't use it often so this size batch works for me.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  5:52:10 PM  Show Profile
ooo! Thanks for the smaller recipe! I've been wondering how to downsize it. :)

Curly's Quilts

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:20:34 AM  Show Profile
I just got down to below the tips of the beans...time to go get more grain vodka. This batch lasted me two years!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Make your own vanilla extract! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page