True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2020 :  6:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane,,,
just for you.. these guys have been hanging out in my garden and I welcome them to stay as long as they like!
About:
The Great Golden Digger Wasp sends its share of terrified gardeners running for a weapon. Little do they know that it is a peaceful insect and a beneficial predator of garden pests. They have an amazing life, and should be welcomed to your flowers.

Great Golden Digger Wasps are found throughout North America, Mexico, Central and South America, and even the Caribbean. They are quite identifiable by their bright orange bodies, black tipped abdomen, and the golden hairs covering the thorax. As long as sandy clay soil, a nectar source, and a population of long-horned grasshopper species are available, they can be found in rural areas and urban lots.

Sphex ichneumonus is a very large and intimidating member of the wasp family. They live solitary lives, and do not defend territory or nests like their paper wasp cousins do. The adults feed on nectar from flowers, and rarely notice any other creatures, except to beat a hasty retreat when something larger approaches. Sometimes a group of these wasps can be observed flying close to the ground. They may have found a suitable area to dig nests, or a concentration of prey insects may live there. They are not part of an organized colony, simply individuals that prefer the same habitat.

I have some photos of the ones in my garden,, I need to find, so I can post a pic.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  06:10:41 AM  Show Profile
This might be for MaryJane Grace but I loved this! I have them here! I wondered what they were! I dont kill any wasps as most seem to be pollinators as well as many other types of insects I've observed in my garden. Thank you for posting. I was blessed by this!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  11:46:01 AM  Show Profile
here is a stock photo,, mine has a little orange on his hinney...

my little visitors hang out in the oregano, and my mints...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  1:49:06 PM  Show Profile
I am sticking my big nose in too Grace. I don't think I have ever seen these---but hubby thinks he has. I am not afraid of bees----except yellow jackets and hornets. I just go out to the hummingbird feeders and knock the bees off. These are beautiful bees---I will look for them next summer. We saw so few bees here this year that it was scary. This is a beautiful bee. I have found that if you are still most bees won't bother you. Our worst bee experience this year was a hornet nest that fell in the road and it stung our dog and we didn't know what was wrong and then I went over it and a few stung me. We went and got the car and ran it over a few times. Such fun to murder them---LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2020 :  7:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of Bees.. I spotted one out on a dandelion in the yard today,, a sunny patch that was not still covered in snow.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2020 :  6:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Almost all bees, wasps and flying beasties love a puddle to soak up a cool drink. If you will find a shady spot in your garden and make a shallow dip, line it with pea gravel, a tad pit of quick mix concrete and keep it watered you will provide nature's pollinators with much-needed fluids. Kathy

Family is
GOD's
Greatest Masterpiece
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2020 :  9:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, good tip...
I do leave a shallow pan filled with water for the butterflies and I leave a large basin filled with fresh water out by the garden (outside the fence)for the dear and birds. I do have to clean that at least every other day because the birds phoo sometimes in the water...
But I like your gravel idea...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Golden Digger Wasps Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page