Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What's vintage in your kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 8

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  03:44:44 AM  Show Profile
The first thing that comes to mind in my kitchen is a white metal pitcher that my mom had. As a kid it was full of brewed ice tea all summer but these days it holds a nice bunch of silk sunflowers. I also have a metal cup that was kept by the kitchen sink as a communal drink cup. I always think of my childhood when I look at it.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page

chickpick
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Stephanie
Ashville Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  6:38:12 PM  Show Profile
At work my kitchen and all that is in it is 1880-1890. Love using the wood-burning cook stove, the cast iron everything and hot water reservoir. At home, my kitchen is a hodgepodge of whatever is tried and true: 1960s and 70s bake ware, Granny's cast iron skillets from the 1920s, 1890s breadboard, 1990s microwave. I don't so much create a look. I use what works. No non-sense.
Go to Top of Page

Lowrider
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Karen
Linthicum Maryland
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  5:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Other then it being an entirely new kitchen with state of the art appliances. It is true vintage country when it comes to the decor! I have almost every tool including my grandmom so rolling pins in my drawers. All my decor is antique country and almost all of it can be used today. Antique crocks line the tops of my cabinets along with my firkins. I have a huge collection of slaw cutters and milk jugs from local dairies. Antique salts and coffee grinders. I'm antiquing at least twice a month.

ArtSeaFartSea Me!
https://www.pinterest.com/lowrider04/
http://lowriderchic.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  03:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
My house was built in the 1940's. So, the oldest thing in my kitchen is probably the cabinets themselves. Which were handmade. But, if you are talking about items... then my oldest item is a vintage glass pyrex "pink daisy" divided casserole dish with lid. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Glass-Pyrex-Pink-Daisy-Divided-Casserole-Dish-with-Lid-1-1-2-Quart-w-Lid-/252129879354?hash=item3ab41ca53a:g:oO8AAOSw9r1WD-Om

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile
The oldest thing I have in my kitchen is a sugar crock my husband's great grandmother had. They always used it for cookies and when they died I got the crock. I have blue enamel wear pans, green depression glass, my mom's 40ies stuff and of course me (at 73)lol

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  08:18:03 AM  Show Profile
I have many vintage (and antique) items, including crocks, Medalta bowls, Ball jars, dishes, utensils, and linens. Many belonged to my two grandmothers, and some I brought back from Norway from family members who knew my love of "all things old," especially if the item had belonged to someone in the family.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile
The things I can think off hand are my milk glass and some of my Blue Willow. And some of my canning jars. Everything else is fairly new, though I do prefer to buy things second hand.

http://www.apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

NY Pumpkin girl
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Christine
Gouverneur New York
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  7:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send NY Pumpkin girl a Yahoo! Message
I absolutely love vintage stuff. I have quite a bit of stuff that I have collected from my mom, grandma and mother-in-law. Some I use and then some is to special to use on a daily basis.

NY Pumpkin girl Farmgirl sister 6634.
Go to Top of Page

Earthstone
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Karen
Troy WV
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  8:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Not a lot, as our home burned in 2010 and I lost most of what I owned. However, we do have a cabin on our property and there were some things in there. An interesting, old item survived the fire: my grandmother's big aluminum baking pan. It is heavy, cast aluminum and was I surprised when I found it, intact, in the ashes! My iron skillets all survived, as well, including several Griswold skillets and some Wagner skillets. In the cabin, I discovered my mother's 8" square cake pans - ones from some company (they once put pans, dishes and glassware in bags of flour, boxes of soap, etc). A local fire company gave us an old trailer and I found 3 very old Corningware dishes in it. I occasionally do find some interesting vintage items at yard sales - a Fostoria America sugar bowl and creamer that I got for a dollar (!), a blue Blenko pitcher, some very old ice cream dishes and 6 Fostoria America goblets. All of these were affordable. Among the oldest things I found in the cabin were 1/2 gallon blue canning jars with lids intact from the family homestead farm - and I have hundreds of milk bottle caps from my grandfather's dairy farm! (Not sure exactly what I'll do with all the milk bottle caps, but when we cleaned out the family farm to sell it, no one else wanted them...)...My grandmother's treadle sewing machine was in the cabin and survived as was the porch swing my father made for his mother when he was 17 (1924)- why we never hung it on the porch of the other house is beyond me, but I'm glad we didn't!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  04:23:54 AM  Show Profile
Karen so sorry to hear about the fire. The things saved in the cabin sound wonderful. I see you are new to the Farm. Glad to meet you and hope to read more about what you are interested in.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Karen, what a tragic fire you experienced in 2010! It is heartbreaking to lose family heirlooms that cannot be replaced. I am glad to know that some treasures were recoverable and or in the cabin. Glad to see you here at "the Farm"!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  12:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Karen,
We, too, lost our house in an arson fire in July of 1994 . . . and everything in it! My mom had already gone to heaven but my dad was still living, so when he went to heaven in January 1997 I was able to collect some wonderful treasures from our family farm. Some of those include some of my dad's antique tools, the egg scales (two different ones) that we used (with my mom) to get eggs ready for her egg routes.
So, I would say any of the things from the farm are my favorites! And I'm glad that I was able to collect those after our fire.
The same goes for some things from my in-laws house (old wheelbarrow, etc) They passed away in 2008 and 2013.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  9:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls, I can't imagine how awful it must have been to lose so many memories to fire, let alone go through the fire itself. It's a good thing memories are also stored in our heads. Which is why I suggest that you journal about the things you remember. Touching the pen to paper helps heal and also puts those memories out for the rest of the family to see. God bless you both.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  11:36:04 AM  Show Profile
My great grandmothers Cast Iron, new old cast iron, Love and collect old mixing bowls, old 2qt jars filled with beans and rice. My Great Aunts dining buffet, an almost complete set of Red Wing Quail stoneware. I use an old pastry cloth, have my mothers wedding rolling pin, and a bunch of other old things. Makes me feel happy to use all of these things.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/sets/72157627628326507/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Me! Hee, Hee!

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Kangaroo Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Teresa
Red Oak Texas
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  8:00:22 PM  Show Profile
first I would love to see some of your kitchens from what you describe. they sound wonderful.

in my kitchen I have my aunts old hutch where I keep most of my collection of old kerosene lamps on top --all kinds and sizes most from various past family members, there's granny's old brown ceramic bean pot --that's what she called it-- was her mothers, got grandpa's (actually was a great grandpa) old wind up clock he had, on the wall I have several milk strainers went back a generation or two and the old water dipper for drinking from, my favorite item is ''0ld red's'' cow bell- she was with us about 30 years I grew up with her, it hangs on the wall. got some old wash boards, sitting on the hutch is a butter churn been in the family long time,
that's pretty much it.

my dream would be to have moderenized wood cook stove.
I love antiques and vintage things there is a certain energy about them.

Dance Like No One Is
Watching.
Go to Top of Page

Arichards
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Anna
Spring Hill TN
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  04:15:32 AM  Show Profile
My most recent vintage addition is an enamel percolator.

Anna
Farmgirl #7163
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  3:08:22 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen pantry is full of very old blue jars (full of dry good), large old cookie jars, big tall old jars and lots of fun little jars too. In my cabinets I have depression ware (green and pink) and a hodgepodge of handmade pottery.
For the wooden spoons, and other utensils I have a 4 cup green depression ware measuring cup.
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  3:50:05 PM  Show Profile
The only thing old/vintage in my kitchen is a 1940's oven/stove unit. I love it, but my husband hates it as it is too much work keeping it working.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile
I have my mother's pink depression glass dishes and glasses.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  10:29:36 PM  Show Profile
The only item I have in my kitchen that is really vintage is the measuring spoons my mother used when I was growing up. I bought a new plastic set for daily use. I only take out my mom's spoons for use is when I am making something special in the kitchen. When I am done I put them away and savory the memories they bring me. TW

How old would you be if you didn't know old you are?

Edited by - Tumbleweed on Nov 24 2016 10:32:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I have and still use my great grandmother's hand grinder. It is a must for making her meat stuffing for the turkey.
Go to Top of Page

caseyscottage
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Stephanie
Independence MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  8:31:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a stack of white ironstone bowls, a few milk jugs, and a collection of copper molds on the wall. Oh, and my vintage jam jars. I love vintage!

http://www.AtTheSmithHouse.com
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  06:53:31 AM  Show Profile
My kitchen is 1990's neighborhood garage sale.

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

buzzn bee
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Deborah
Muncie Indiana
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Nancy that is hysterical. Mine is too. Wouldn't have it any other way.
I love to go treasure hunting. And I love kitchen gadgets and knick knacks. Fun to collect.

I would say the most vintage things in my kitchen are my grandmother's, great grandmothers, and great great grandmother's rolling pins. Love them! I have helped roll out many pans of homemade biscuits with those rolling pins. It is like I can feel my grandmother's hands on them while rolling.

Also, I love your name Tumbleweed. Cute!!!!!

Farm Sister hugs and happy treasure hunting!

Deborah Horn
Buzzn Bee
Farm Sister 1185
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What's vintage in your kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page