countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  11:41:32 AM  Show Profile
I just made a batch of rhubarb jelly this afternoon and I couldn't bear to waste the fruit. I decided to make MaryJane's rhubarb coffee cake recipe (it's in the April/May 2011 issue). Seriously that is my family's absolute favorite coffee cake recipe. So I decided to use the leftover rhubarb (4 cups uncooked) from my jelly and use it in the coffee cake.

This is not the first time I have done stuff like this with my jelly making.

Are there any other farmgirl sister's that have done this too? If so, what are your favorite recipes to use with the fruit that is leftover?

I would love to have more ideas because I hate wasting good food!

(By the way, the coffee cake turned out wonderful using the left over rhubarb!)

Thanks all!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  8:51:46 PM  Show Profile
After canning apple pie filling, I boil the skins and core (minus the blossom end) to make jelly. To the boiled juice I usually add about 1/2 c. red hots candy and make candy apple jelly.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I have always had a problem with havin just a little bit of leftover jelly that doesn't quite fill a jar. I have begun makin jars of 'rainbow' jelly with it. I have a jar of violet on the bottom, rose in the middle, and dandilion on top in the fridge right now. The girls are desperately tryin to finish up the 2 open jelly jars so they can get at it!

You stir it up and it is an amazing taste. If you try to blend the flowers and make a mixed jelly it turns black and is so nasty lookin noone can get past the color to enjoy the taste.

I do have a lot of flower petals left over from our jelly makin, but those go on the compost pile. I always make jam with fruit because I can't take the waste that jelly leaves!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile
I have a freind that makes up a simple oil and vinegar salad dressing in the jar with the left over jelly when she is looking for a dressing with a hint of sweetness. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a great idea to me.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  11:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, love the ideas! Keep them coming! I love trying new things and I hate wasting so this is perfect!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  12:03:36 PM  Show Profile
wow, great recipe idea...i make flavored vingears for my dressings. This would be perfect for a summer salad. Yum...i use my leftover jams for putting in smoothies or just plain yogurt..on pancakes or waffles..the fruit syrups are expensive to buy. The best way me, is over vanilla ice cream. paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile
You gals are making me hungry. Yikes! It's two o'clock and I haven't had lunch!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile
I love these ideas, my Mom would be so proud of you all. As for me - I am learning and being influenced in a good way from all of the great ideas. Thank you so much, farmgirls!

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #862
http://www.wildwomanglamgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  10:58:46 PM  Show Profile
I usually have several bottles of salad dressing going at once, when they get low, I throw them all together! Fruit scraps go to the chickens :)

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile
We will put our strawberries through the juicer, and any other berries on hand to make smoothies and stuff. Then we take the "discards" from the juicer and put them in the food dehydrator for a few days and make fruit leather.

It was a wonderful feeling not a single thing was wasted.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile
I have mixed left over whipping cream (1/3 cup), with cottage cheese (1/2 cup) and a splash or two of ginger ale. Pretty good!

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Jun 26 2011 4:27:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9267 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9267 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2011 :  5:28:41 PM  Show Profile
My mom taught me to make apple jelly using the skins and cores. We made applesauce and them added water to the peelings and cooked down and strained through cheesecloth. It always came out great! The pectin is nearest the skin so that helped in the setting up of the jelly. I can't stand to waste the fruit part by using the juice of things like berries for jelly or something so I make a lot of jams. This way I am using the whole berry.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile
perfect use for bits of any kind of jams/jellies: http://www.foodinjars.com/2010/11/open-jars-upside-down-jam-cake/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Waste not, want not! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page