Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning and baking and cleaning...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning and baking and cleaning... Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:24:44 AM  Show Profile
and I am pooped! Been at it since early morning. I had to take a break. Me and Kansas broke beans last night. Thins morning I canned 7 quarts. One broke right when I put it in the canner. Makes me so mad! Then while that was in the canner, I peeled peaches and Kansas cut them up for me. So I got 7 quarts of peaches. Then after they were odne, I used the hot canner water to put the tomatoes in. We got them all cut up and I added peppers, onions, garlic and herbs to make sauce. I got 5 quarts. Then I started to clean out the canning pantry in the laundry room. I was running out of pint jars. I had lots of pickled okra and peppers from 3 years ago. So I threw all them out and am washing jars right now. I have tons of applesauce left from a few years back. So I decided to make applesause muffins. They just got done. I think I will ahve to make them once a week to use all that up. I will be making more in the fall from all my apples.

Yesterday I left a note on the door of the people who bought my friend's house. They have the very best blueberries ever. And I have been driving by and seeing all the ripe berries just sitting on the bushes. I almost just went a few times to pick without asking. They have not moved in yet. SO I left a note. The lady called yesterday about 3:30 to say she would eb glad for me to come pick as many as I wanted. I said I would be glad to pay for them but she said no. So I jumped in the car and went down there right away and picked 2 gallons in about half an hour. So I put 7 more quarts in the freezer. That's my next project, getting the freezers rearranged to get more in them.

So what's going on in your kitchens today?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
WOW Kris! You make me so envious of your bounty! One day I WILL have property that produces such wonderful foods and be so lucky to have left over canned goods :) I am going to dream that I am in your kitchen right now eatting a lovely applesauce muffin!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Alee, they are good! Just something to do with all the applesauce we need to use up. It was kind of thin too. And one day you will be doing the same thing. Just keep thinking that way. Last year, I did not feel like doing this. Plus the tiller messed up and I didn't have much of a garden. I did can a few tomatoes that the chickens didn't get to first. But this year it's different with me. I guess with food prices so stinking high, I need to do something to help us.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh sure!!! Rub it in!! Just kidding! I am really happy that you have those resources! I am really going to try to squeeze every quart of applesauce that I can out of our tree. I am a bit disappointed in the projected yeild though- We had a huge storm and we lost about 75% of the apples off our tree. I hope that just means the ones that survive are all the bigger and juicier for it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Made 8 qts. of fridge pickles, canned 5 1/2 pints of grape jelly, and I'm about to start 6 pints of sweet pickle relish .........and if there are more cucumbers, can more pickles.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  12:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmm. I want one too :) I hope to have a good garden next year. We just moved, so no garden for me right now :(

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile
You gals are amazing. Alee, our time will come!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  1:36:13 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'm going to be canning pickles tomorrow. I just measured out what I need for the relish, and it doesn't even look like I used any cucumbers from the bowl. I think I picked about 40 this morning. We did eat one while canning the fridge pickles. They taste great with fruit dip (he he!).

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm exhausted just reading what you have done today kris!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  06:01:31 AM  Show Profile
Kris- it was a canning day for me too. 8 pints cherry juice, 4 half pints spirited cherries, and 12 pints of pork loin. Plus I cut up another 10 lbs of onions and loaded up the dehydrator for round 2. I am hoping to have some plums next week!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  07:03:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Lilly

Kris- it was a canning day for me too. 8 pints cherry juice, 4 half pints spirited cherries, and 12 pints of pork loin. Plus I cut up another 10 lbs of onions and loaded up the dehydrator for round 2. I am hoping to have some plums next week!

Lillian

I planted a plum tree this year. It will be years before I can enjoy it, but it's planted. I grew up with a plum tree in our front yard, in town. My mother did not/and does not can foods. She later cut down the tree. I can only imagine how many ways we could have used those plums.

I just ordered a roma sauce maker, and cannot wait to have a dehydrator and a pressure canner. Due to finances, we can't get more than one of these larger ticket items each year.

Your cherries sound wonderful! I wonder if cherry trees would grow well in our area. I'll have to look that up.

Farmgirl #800

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile
Lillian, I have always wanted to can meat. I might have to give it a try one day. I have 2 big upright freezers and a chest and half freezer. All are full except the chest freezer has some more room. I have Silver Queen corn coming on and that will go in the freezer soon. I also have never done cherries. I have not seen them growing around here. Plums do. I mad etons of plum jelly a few years ago and still have some left. And I love my dehydrator. I used it alot last year for apples.

It's a slow day here today. I am cleaning out the kitchen canning pantry and getting rid of some more peppers. I had a really good pepper yaer in 2008 apparently. And hubby is the only one who eats them. So out they go. I have a few jalapeno plants full of more that I will make. Not so much this time. Maybe just a few jars for him and my mom and SIL.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  1:58:09 PM  Show Profile
made 6 jars of strawberry-lemon marmalade (yum!), 6 jars of bumbleberry jam (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry), made a cold chicken pasta salad for dinner tonight (for us it is really hot - 97 degrees outside), am baking a batch of maple granola right now, froze some green beans, made currant juice to freeze for jelly later, still need to cut some summer savory and put it in the dehydrator and freeze some parsley. Good thing it is too hot to be outdoors. I also drove 30 miles to some land we own and picked raspberries and blackcaps at 7:00 this morning. I'm getting tired...never did get the bathroom cleaned as I planned!!!!

Tammy
Go to Top of Page

mindy_marie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mindy
Fargo ND
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I'm so impressed with all you lady's do!!! My garden drowned this year with all the water in our fabulous state. Turns out plants can't swim. Next year...

I picked five quarts of strawberries, though, last weekend and canned strawberry rhubarb jam and strawberry lemonade concentrate. Not just sure why I preserve the lemonade concentrate, it never lasts long enough to worry about spoiling. :)
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  7:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow Kristin!! You've been a busy beaver and so have you other industrious ladies!! How cool. It is just too neat to hear of women who are providing for their families this way! YaYYYY!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  7:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Y'all have been busy ladies. Mindy, so sorry about your garden. Mine has been under water a few times. Not a pretty sight for sure. I do hope next year is better for you. The strawberry rhubarb jam sounds really good.

I picked a bunch of jalapeno peppers today. But I need to get vinegar. Will do that tomorrow when i go out. Then I will can them whole. I also picked some collards that have been giving me nice fresh greens all summer so far. I have been putting them in the freezer.

And the beans need picked again. And I picked about 3/4 of a bushel of tomatoes but they are not totally ripe yet. I had to get them before chickens or birds get them. I have noticed some pecked holes in some already. I hate sharing my tomatoes.

Y'all keep up the good work! I love having all this food put up and already look forward to winter to eat it all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

camiesmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Anne Jeannette
Stagecoach NV
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  10:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Send camiesmommy a Yahoo! Message
I'm sooo jealous. Have never canned and was hoping this was my year. Had storms and snow up until July1. Didn't get the garden planted until the middle of July and lost my entire crop of apples. At this point I would be happy to have blossoms on my plants. I get so inspired when I hear what you've done.

A.J.

Work is love made visable. ~ Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  3:53:05 PM  Show Profile
I just learned to can with a water bath canner last year. I had so much fun, I could not under stand why my mother never bothered to do it. I miss my grandmothers at times like this, they could do anything!!

I just put up peach/lavender butter, strawberry/balsamic jam, and margarita jelly

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  6:52:14 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry, Anne Jeannette. That just stinks. I had a bad year last year. I so hope you get to try again next year. Can you get produce from farmer's markets?

Hi and welcome, Tracy! That's exciting to be canning, isn't it? I love it. I would love to have the recipe for the peach-lavender butter. Sounds really good. It's peach time in Ga. right now and the lavender is about to bloom.

I picked another 3/4 bushel of tomatoes tonight after I got home. Good grief! I have never had this many before. I will be doing tomatoes all day tomorrow. I want to try making ketchup. I started picking beans but my heart just ain't in it. I will try again tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Peach and Lavender Butter from Canning & Preserving with Ashley English:

You will need:
3 lb peaches
1/3c water
2T fresh or dried lavender buds
3 T lemon juice
1-1/2 T lemon zest
3C granulated sugar

To prepare:

1. Blanch the peaches about 30 sec. each and shock in ice water so that the skins slip off. Peel, pit, and chop roughly.

2.bring 1/3 c water to a boil, place lavender buds in a small bowl. Pour in the boiling water and steep for 15 minutes. strain the liquid through a mesh sieve and set aside.

3.sterilize 6 half pint mason jars, lids and screw rings. Fill a canner with water bring to a boil, turn off and set aside.

4.combine the lavender water, peaches, lemon juice and zest in a heavy pan and bring to a boil over med-high heat. reduce the heat and simmer for 15 min. until the peach mixture thickens and clings to a spoon. remove from heat.

5. Once the peach mixture has cooled slightly, either press it through a food mill or fine meshed sieve, or puree using a food processor or immersion blender. (I LOVE MY STICK BLENDER THINGY)

6. return the puree to the pan, add sugar and lavender buds, bring the mixture to a gentle boil over med heat. Stir continuously until the sugar is completely dissolved. reduce the heat and simmer 25 minutes.

7. Place hot jars on a kitchen cloth and pack the butter into the jars, use a non-metallic spatula to remove any trapped air bubbles and wipe the rim and threads of the jars clean with a damp cloth.
place lids an screw bands.

8. process in a water bath for 10 minutes (adjust for your altitude)

For a variation add 1/2t allspice, 1/2 t ground cloves, 1t cinnamon.

I cannot describe how beautiful this made my kitchen smell!

The book I got this recipe from is splendid, I highly recommend it! I have not made a single bad thing from this book!

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Jul 19 2011 8:03:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to thank you for that recipe, Tracy. I am going to make some. But right now am out of peaches. And money to get more.

But I have been canning tomaotes. I should sell them. Also am just now getting ready to put 3 pints of pickled beets in the hot water bath. Man, I love those things but hate peeling the little buggars. But it sure does smell good in the kitchen.

Also made a meatloaf for dinner tonight. And I will bake bread later. ANd make a little cobbler with the last few peaches and some blueberries for dessert.

I also put up a quart baggie of red bell peppers too. They are so good.

What's going on today in y'alls kitchens?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try to make Bavarian pretzel rolls to go with the margarita jelly I made last week.
I'll share the recipe if they turn out.

C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9255 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9255 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  6:58:16 PM  Show Profile
I put up 11 qts. of peaches, 7 qts of peach pie filling and 12 qts of cherries 7 qts cherry pie filling too. I also froze 30lbs of blueberries. Have done this over the last couple of weeks. Waiting to go get some blackberries for jam. I made peach syrup, ended up with about 7 pints of that.
Still wanting to get some cucumbers to put up pickles this year.

~Kris, I was wondering if you would share your applesauce muffin recipe? I have some from last year I need to use up.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning and baking and cleaning... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page