ChickenElla
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Robbi
Caseyville Illinois
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  11:21:45 AM  Show Profile
I just got in from an estate sale and I totally killed it!! I had $20 with me. Somehow after leaving I lost $5, so even though all of this was only $14.75, I'm calling it 20 to cover my loss :(
I got a dozen pint canning jars, a great big canning pot, a food dehydrator, 2 skeins of yarn and a ball of doily string (I just thought myself to crochet so these are for practicing), 3 five gallon buckets for my husband, and a vintage tea tin full of old buttons to complete my button-it-up merit badge!!!

~rs
ChickenElla
Sister #5373
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile
I had this posted in another forum but it should be here. I went to a local store where I live and found this amazing Primitive cabinet for only $30.00 LOVE IT!

A Life Without a Friend, Is a Life Without Sun
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  12:11:04 PM  Show Profile
This is beautiful! What a great find!
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  1:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Joan...that is gorgeous, what a blessing to have found such a wonderful item.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  6:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I got a square cast iron skillet from my neighbor at her rummage sale. I've lots of round skillets but this is the first square one I've ever seen and I had to have it. I think I got a fairly good deal on it as it's a Griswold and I got it for $30. I also got a couple of large bbq trays that are vintage and my folks had some just like them when I was a kid. I'm 56 now so that's been awhile ago LOL. The trays were a steal at 50 cents each.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  3:24:01 PM  Show Profile
We hit a couple of places today out running errands. All of these were less than $20.00 I found a like-new blow dryer, and big barrel curling iron. $3.00 each. I also bought the really nice Rosemaling wooden nice plate at the Habitat For Humanity used building supplies store, $3.00 also. Dave scored too! He found a vintage Kodak (Made in America) metal pictures bin, full of parts, for $5.00. We may fill it full of old cameras, or turn it into a indoor planter. I also found this wonderful blue French-made ceramic bowl, our new salad bowl. Anya, our cat had to investigate.

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  7:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Went thrift shopping with daughter and daughter! Stick blender for $4 for soaping, aftghan hook .99 cents, embroidery kit for grand-daughter with hoop, needles, threads, hot pad project ~ .99 cents!, jar of old buttons, some on cards $2.98, 2 copper jellp molds to make pin cushions in .99 cents, 2 crochetd angel ornaments (bought to copy pattern) .99 cents, wool sweater to felt, $3. We had a great time!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2014 :  8:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Cool! We need to get this thread going again :)

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2014 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I'm so gratified to see someone who keeps their blog up-to-date. Very disappointing to see blogs that have not been used for one or two (and sometimes longer) years. Thank you for sharing.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Feb 02 2014 08:56:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  4:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Betty! I usually post once a week, maybe twice. More in the summer when I'm off work...

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

lucky1
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Liz
Homer OH
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2014 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! Thoroughly enjoying this topic thread--it's inspiring! I have three different thrift stores I can peruse on my commute home from work, and I try not to visit more than once every two weeks...but, you know how temptation is. :)
Found a beautiful soft cable knit sweater in charcoal grey, and have made a pillow and two commuter cup warmers from it so far. $1.07. Also picked up a back of vintage quilt scraps at an antique store for $8, and have made two holiday stockings, several Valentine's Day garlands and doorknob ornaments, and still have plenty left over for spring-themed stuff.
The weather here has been so cold lately...no auctions scheduled for weeks. Sigh...

Be warm and safe and happy!
Liz

If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "thank you", that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  3:59:03 PM  Show Profile
I love reading how other people find stuff too, and sometimes re-purpose them!

Be the change...

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2014 :  7:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Went shopping a bit over the weekend...found a brand new 24.99 book of how to make different scrapbooking items for 1.00 and a 6.97 bag of buttons for .97...think I hit the jack pot...:):):)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Feb 10 2014 7:03:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2014 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile
found a splatter ware stove coffee perculater for $12. Was going to try to dicker down but there was another one similar that had the cups with it (wasn't as pretty and I didn't need the cups) for $24 so I didn't bother. the only thing is the cover had a chip in the top. When I got home, I put some water and bleach in it and perked it on the stove to clean it, then did the same with some dilute vinegar to rinse. Looks almost perfect on the inside. Hubby doesn't like perked coffee, but we're going to try it anyway.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2014 :  2:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
A complete set of king size bedsheets, including pillowcases, in great condition, for $4.00 for the set! YAY! King sized sheets are expensive!
And, a nice hunter green and white checked tablecloth. . . great for glamping or outdoor activities! For $1.50
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2014 :  8:50:57 PM  Show Profile
A waist high curvy dresser that had two drawers at the top and the two longs one below are missing. I am going to make shelves in the missing drawer areas and use baskets instead of drawers. The garage sale gal had a picture off of pinterest showing a repurposed one. It was awesome. The dresser cost me $10. I have the paint and everything I will need to make the shelves. I am going to have to probably find the baskets. I may be a real cheapskate and use cardboard boxes and cover them with fabric or scrapbooking paper, have to see what I can find. Also bought hubby a really nice heavy scoop shovel. He is a farmer and appreciates good deals too.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  09:14:49 AM  Show Profile
That dresser sounds charming. I would love something like that, too! Post photos when you finish it. I'd love to see it.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2014 :  10:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow those are some really neat finds!!!!

While I was vacationing we went to a thrift store and here is some of the "finds" I made.

All but 2 are from the 1950's. The 2 are from the early 60's.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  05:30:20 AM  Show Profile
I had to work yesterday so I had to go into town to the hardware store and, low and behold, it was yard sale day. I could not resist stopping!!! I found a metal plant tiered thingy for my porch for a dollar, a plump, unused study buddy pillow for the camper, and a tiny clock also. The next sale had a huge stuffed alligator that I just HAD to have for a dollar. I found a table top curio cabinet for 2.00 with two drawers, this will be for the sewing room to hold my fat quarter stash. Then I stopped by the church rummage sale and found flannel fabric. Picked up enough to make a whole quilt, maybe. Also got 2 antique platters and metal speckle dishes for the camper. I checked the thrift store for bags and purses to use to plant my strawberry plants in and will hang them from the dog kennel fence....rain gutters were too expensive and ugly and not deep enough. I think I spent 21.00 total for everything. Oh and I picked up a few toys to plant seeds in to place around the yard and next to my flower "bed". That is a metal twin bed.

On the way home my niece called and said to swing by her place with my trailer. I got there and she had 7 blueberry bushes and 3 raspberry bushes and 11 hopps that she wanted me to have. Also 14 house plants and various started trees and bushes for the yard. She is moving and just gave them to me .... took me 4 trips to get all the stuff, including potting tables and soil and pots for the greenhouse. Not sure if I can find the time to dig all the holes but the harvest will be wonderful. I don't want her to leave but wow what a going away gift I received.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  07:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, you had a "great finds" day!!! WTG!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Daizy! What a wonderful day you had! I would have gone to heaven for all those garden goodies..and the flannel too!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  12:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Daizy . . . JACKPOT!!! Yay for you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 25 2014 :  1:28:28 PM  Show Profile
I volunteer at a thrift store. When I went to work Friday there was a vintage turquoise/aqua Samsonite suitcase for a dollar. I was all over that one. I am redoing our camper in aqua, dark dark bronze, silver, grey, and white. It will be a great storage piece. I wish the whole set would have been there. Oh well, grateful for that piece.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2014 :  5:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Went to an auction this past Sat. I bought three metal tractor seats, a square emerald green canister jar from the 40/50s, two 8 foot 1x12 boards, a yellow bail lidded gallon jar, a meat mallet, a metal wood grained picinic basket, a two gallon coleman water jug, a metal and canvas berry basket that you attach to a pole, a blue enamel pan with holes in the bottom, funnels, ornate vintage fork and pie server, and more for 26 dollars. Things were so cheap and at the end some of the items did not get bids and I could pay a dollar to pick through the boxes and found tons of good stuff. Sad for the owners, sad when good stuff could not even bring a bid.
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2014 :  10:27:03 AM  Show Profile
I love estate sales and the boxes of junk out in the garages. They always have some really unique and usable stuff in them. I love old buttons, vintage brooches, and linens...Just something about those things that bring back thoughts of when I was little. Smiles

You can never be too kind!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Nifty Thrifty:  What's Your Latest Find??? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page