kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  05:36:20 AM  Show Profile
I was out in the garden this morning picking lots of okra and went to look at my one big cantaloupe. And it was still there and just about ripe. So I went ahead and picked it because I figured if I left it out there one more day something would get it. It smells so good. The creases are orange and so is the bottom. In a few days I will cut that bad boy up and eat it! My first cantaloupe in years that didn't get eaten up before I picked it. And there are several more out there too.

Then I walked down the tomato rows and that's where the sweet potatoes are planted. I stepped on something wierd and then another. So I felt it and it was kind of loose dirt so I scraped some away and there were big ole sweet potatoes!!! I went and got the shovel and dug up 7 pretty big ones. I'll leave the others out there for now. But I planted 9 plants. So I think that could be close to 65 sweet potatoes. Not bad.

I think we will have sweet potatoes, okra, corn and green beans for dinner today. Yum!

Anyone else getting garden stuff still? It's really getting dry here. I have picked lots of corn and put it in the freezer. I just picked 8 more ears and that's it. I will go see if there are any runner beans out there now and start them cooking. Love those things.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  07:41:54 AM  Show Profile
That's an awesome harvest Kris! How large is your garden? I have read that you can make a simple syrup to use when freezing melon chunks or melon balls. I have not tried it yet but as soon as a decent harvest comes, I will :)

We are JUST NOW harvesting here! We cannot plant anything until after Memorial Day due to frost. So the excitement you have already experienced I am just now experiencing. Watching my green beans get larger, the few ripe tomatoes, almost time for spaghetti squash. I did try potatoes in pots this year and harvested those. I will be using some Yukon Golds to make a roast beef hash for my honey with some onions, garlic and jalapenos. Our pumpkins are starting to change color (yay!), and I have been harvesting banana peppers (This is the best year we have had, I should have plenty to make Banana-Pepper Mustard - awesome with soft pretzels). Oh, and I tried onions this year Candy Apple Red and they are getting bigger too! I wish I lived in a different zone sometimes :)

Your dinner sounds perfect!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 24 2011 1:17:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  12:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Kandy Apple Red onions? That sounds amazing. I bet they are pretty onions. It sounds like you have a good garden going. Mine is smaller this year. I have done a field sized garden for the farmer's market but this year I planted some different grasses for sheep. So my other garden is about 150'x100'. I also have some raised beds. I will plant fall crops in a few weeks. I want to plant garlic too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,

Wow, what huge gardens you have! I would love to own more property some day so we could do that. What a huge blessing!

The onions are actually called Red Candy Apple Onions (woops!)

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/product/94/intermediate_day_onions

I would like to try garlic this year too. I just fell in love with a certain variety I purchased at the Farmer's Market: Red Toch. Oh my gosh, I never thought garlic could taste so good!

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  9:45:56 PM  Show Profile
We actually only STARTED getting garden stuff. Well, been getting it for about a month, but still in prime production. Summer was so late here this year!

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2011 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Kristi,

It sounds like we are on the same page.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

gathered herb
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Patty
Ormond Beach florida
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  4:48:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, I am here in florida... I am getting ready to start planting for the fall season... I have wodnerful purple hull peas.. beans, my sweet potaotes are coming in nicely. unfortantly my corn keeps getting worms... but, my chickens love it... I am getting ready to plant tomatoes & green pepper next. I am so happy to be able to do the thing that make me happy.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  8:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Purple hull peas are my favorite! I love them over rice. I have not gotten any this year but did get some Pinkeye peas which are just as good. I cannot imagine planting tomatoes right now. It must be nice to have nearly year round garden, Patty. I have worms in the tips of most of my corn but that's ok, my chickens love them too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  8:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris, sweet potatoes and cantaloupes!!!!!!!!! That sounds so, so, so good.
Are your okra plants still producing a lot? Ours are still producing really good.
I have enough blanched okra for lots of gumbos this winter.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Marly, the okra is still going strong. That is one thing that will keep giving no matter what. And we have not had rain in weeks here but okra is still going strong. I think the hotter and dryer the better for okra. I have never had gumbo. And I have always wanted to go to Louisianna and sit at one of those big table outside covered in paper and eat crawfish and corn and whatever else they throw in the pot then throw on the table. And listen to some good ole Cajun music and dance the rest of the night. Do you do that where you live? I can do without the swamps and creepy crawlies though. Just some good food and good music.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  5:29:06 PM  Show Profile
In the northeast the harvest is just getting going! Couldn't plant till June due to weather. I have been canning tomatoes all week end and making salsa to can. It's like a tomato factory in here! 24 tomato plants, half beefsteak, the others jet star. Big fat heavy tomotoes. Pumpkins are starting to turn orange. Butternut, hubbard and sweet dumpling squash will be ready soon. Eggplant galore, have made batches of eggplant parmsean and froze it in small serving sizes for a quick meal. Green peppers are almost done, some of them went into the salsa. Still eating sweet corn too. Good stuff. I just love walking out in the yard to pick dinner!

Barb

at

Breezy Acres Farm
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  10:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, your garden sounds amazing. So many good things. Mine is done now. Well, I do still have some small canteloupe out there. And I am sick of okra already. I planted some collards and turnip greens the other day and the next day they were already up. I can hardly wait for them. I want some spinach too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sweet potatoes and cantaloupes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page