Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question about plum trees Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  09:30:54 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that plum trees sometimes take a year off and don't produce fruit. I have three Mirabelle plum trees, and was so looking forward to canning them. We had a very long cold wet spring in north Idaho and my trees didn't even blossom. Having never had plum trees before, I don't know what care they need. I want to stay as simple and organic as possible. Do I need to prune them or fertilize them?

Thanks in advance

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  12:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Have you had the trees for a few years? I know virtually nothing about fruit trees, but I know that with all of our ornamental fruit trees it took them three years to really get going, same with grapes. Hopefully someone with actually knowledge will respond. I wouldn't count out that crazy weather we've had either. And the last few days have been the hottest all summer!
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  2:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Annika, I also forgot to mention the extension office. The folks in Coeur d'Alene are incredibly helpful. We get so much useful information from them about all kinds of things. Recently, they helped us with our raspberries. http://www.uidaho.edu/extension/latah
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  11:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I just thot Id add that I believe fertilizing the fruit trees the first 3 years is a good practice, you sprinkle it all around the inside of the perimeter of the circumference of the branches. Also, sometimes getting rid of anything growing under your tree branches can help. Depending on the soil, you might want to consider how the tree is doing underground, or look for possible pest problems.

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  2:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Do you know if they are self-pollinating? Most of the plum trees I see in seed catalogs need a pollinator.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile
I know that the trees are at least 15 years old and are quite large. Most years they are just covered in plums by late July or early August. I am not spotting any insect activity, but a lot of the leaves have been nibbled on and there are little round holes in some of them. I think I'm going to look into some organic fruit tree fertilizer and see if they perk up next year. I love the sweet - tart little yellow plums! Crossing my fingers for a good harvest next year =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  6:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Annika, sometimes the frost will get them. We have an orchard and this was a horrible fruit year. Our blood plums produced, but the other two varieties of plums had no fruit at all. This was a weird spring all around, so I wouldn't panic if they didn't produce. Other years they are abundant. I can't say hubby fertilizes, but I'll ask him.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  7:44:22 PM  Show Profile
We planted our plum tree gosh....when my DS was 7 or so and he is 15 now. The tree looked a little better than a long switch, but now it is gorgeous. Not as many plums as last year I had a bumper crop and made tons of plum jelly and plum butter. This year was cooler and a lot wetter in the spring. Not as many blossoms but still I will have a good crop. They are turning a wonderfully plummy purple now and I will wait until the very end of September before I harvest.

With plum trees patience is a must. I thought I would never have plums but when my tree was ready she started to bear. Do you have any other fruit trees that will draw the bees? I think it helped us having 4 apple trees and a big patch of sunflowers in the yard.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  06:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Annika
We are just west of Spokane and my Italian plum tree did not produce fruit this yesr. I also lost my peaches to a fungus because of the wet spring. All the trees have recovered though. Fingers crossed for next yesr.

marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question about plum trees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page