doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  09:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone interested in a thread for doll makers? Cloth, Paperclay, Polymer Clay, whatever kind you make? Newbies, OldTimers, everybody in between. I would be interested in sharing ideas, photos, etc. if there is enough interest.
Thanks, Glenda

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
(I can't remember who said it :)

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  09:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Glenda,

I would love this. I love to make dolls of all kinds, especially cloth and polymer clay. I also took porcelain doll making classes a few years ago and I would love to get back into that. I keep hoping that the classes will be available again. It was fun and the dolls came out beautiful.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Oct 08 2011 08:28:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2011 :  11:19:03 AM  Show Profile
I love to make Waldorf-style dolls! I made a bunch for my kids when they were small, and a few years ago made a couple for a woman who posted on Craig'slist. Theyare so much fun to do!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  05:23:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Glenda, I think it would be great to share our ideas and pictures of some of the dolls we make. I enjoy seeing what other dollmakers are doing and finding out how long they have been making dolls, etc.

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301
Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  06:21:03 AM  Show Profile
My grandma and aunt use to make dolls. I've always wanted to learn how to make a doll. My aunt did the crochet type dolls and my grandma made the whole doll out of fabric. What would be an easy first doll to make? Doll making how fun!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  07:25:40 AM  Show Profile
My mother was a doll doctor. She also made a few dolls with cloth bodies and ceramic heads, arms and legs.

My own foray into doll making has been this primitive doll. They are made from scraps of fabric, and I love making them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile
what is a waldorf doll?
i learned how to make cornhusk dolls-not the elaborate prettys but the functional-they are fun and i also have dabbled in some very basic rag dolls....

i have a large doll who needs a doctor to put her head back on!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  08:09:15 AM  Show Profile
I bought the muslin a long time ago, and now I have a new machine :)
If anyone finds turning tubes for less, you better tell us.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/frannies-dolls.pdf

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  08:12:46 AM  Show Profile
What are turning tubes?

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  08:19:10 AM  Show Profile
They are tools to turn skinny doll arms and legs out side right after you sew it.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  09:07:22 AM  Show Profile
My partner uses a bodkin for turning or pulling ribbons through. She bought it at Joann's for less than $3. I don't know if it would work for turning right side out, but it might be worth a try.

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  09:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi, girlfriends, wow, this is a great start--I don't consider myself a newbie, nor an expert dollmaker, I just love to do it. I've never sold (or even offered for sale) a doll, I just fell into it somehow through sewing, then found a book on polymer clay, found Jack Johnston (artdolls.com) online, and went from there. I don't know what a Waldorf dolls is, either, Jamie--
please share that with us. Dorinda, there are some good books, patterns, and Cds out there for dollmaking. A good first book for cloth dollmaking is "Creative Cloth Doll Making" by Patti Medaris Culea. I've found Amazon usually has used copies for a few dollars. Or just go online or to a quilt store and buy a pattern and jump in. It's possible that you can go online to dollmakersjourney.com and get a free pattern. If you are interested in paperclay dolls, I think Richard McKinley was the best, he has passed but his books/techniques might still be out there. There are two good national teachers for sculpting with polymer clay, Jack Johnston and Mark Dennis, and I'm guessing there are local teachers in every state who probably teach their techniques. But the best CD tutorials I've found are Richard and Jody Creager - I think they work with Sculpy. I think they have a website. Also, it seems like YouTube has short tutorials on just about anything and everything these days. Dollmaking is addictive and all consuming - I have been so frustrated that I've not been able to spend time with it so I am looking forward to winter when there is no yard work, and long dreary days that are perfect for staying in the sewing room.

If you really get hooked and want to take it further, there are state and national doll guilds to join. I am a member of the one in Austin but now am too far away to attend the meetings usually. One of the members there put together a seminar this year called All Dolls Are Art, and I absolutely believe that. She has a free tutorial on her blog or website and when I can think of the name I will post it for you.
So, no matter what kind of dolls you make, lets share what we are doing and have some fun. Oh, and go to Adele Sciortino's website and see if you like her style. She puts out a free quarterly newsletter that is full of lots of good info, along with free patterns. I will be happy to share all the info I have collected but there's a lot I don't know and would love to have your ideas, your stories about how your dolls are coming along, especially when you get to that point where they start speaking to you and telling you who they are. Have you experienced that? And, of course, pictures if you want to share. It is always so much more fun to connect with others with the same interests, I tend to become unmotivated when I don't have anyone to share with. So....lets have some creative fun with this. Im so anxious to hear what everybody has to say.
Hugs to all,
glenda

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  09:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Trish, that was a good link - thank you. Even a pattern at the end. Since I'm new to Mary Jane's Farm, I know there is a lot I have missed in back issue magazines and newsletters.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Frannie is a super awesome wonder woman. New ladies need to see Fran from Texas' bunnies. Oh my goodness. That is one purchase in life I regret not making.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  10:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
just a quick note, the other day I went to pickup our chinese food and picked up a set of their wooden chop sticks. they are round and they have been perfect for turning the tubes on my bag handles and other things..and they were free..

I didn't know what a Waldorf doll was either but here is a link that shows them...they are so cute...http://www.bellalunatoys.com/waldorf-dolls.html?gclid=COCxvL7Q2asCFcTD7Qod9X43SA

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  5:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Chopsticks would be a great way to turn the arms and legs. And free is always a good price.

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  08:51:35 AM  Show Profile
this is good ! I make rag dolls and doll clothes. Love old dolls and would like to learn how to restore old ones and also make a china head doll with the cloth body
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  09:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey Patricia, I should put you in touch with my mother. She is retired, but she could probably show you a few things about restoring old dolls. And she lives in Ohio.

If you're interested, email me.

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have tried twice to write a post and somehow I keep losing it--don't know what is going on here except we have a lot of rain in the area (finally!!) and it's interfering with TV and Internet.
I tried to upload a doll that I have made but couldn't do it. I did go to the link and see the Waldorf doll--too cute!!! love it. I also went to YouTube to see what they do and there is a lot of info there. I watched one on making a cornhusk doll and it was cute, fun, and another way to recycle besides the compost!! I will try that with my little grandson. he loves to do arts and crafts with me. I need to learn how to restore dolls too, as I have my daughter's Madame Alexander dolls that are in bad shape. Maybe a doll restorer will join this thread..
I think I will make myself post my progress on the doll I am trying to do, so it will force me to stay with it. I seem to be suffering from ADD these days, start one thing and drift off on 6 more things without finishing what I started.

Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  10:55:21 AM  Show Profile
I love to make those cute country dolls completely from fabric and by hand.I have some photo's on my blog somewhere.
At the moment I'm making a christmas doll with a garland of hearts on her hands.

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Monique- I would love to see some of your country dolls. I make country dolls and some more modern dolls that I design myself. I think it would be nice if we could post some of the ones we have made. I have never made a dolls by hand without using a sewing machine and I've never made a corn husk doll. I would like to do that. I have purchased a coulple of cornhusk dolls. Has anyone ever made a topsy-turvy doll?

Hugs,

Nancy

Live everyday to the fullest

Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey peeps; my Mom and I have been making dolls for over 30 years. We used to do craft shows/flea markets etc. for years-- now we don't becuz my Mom is very frail and fragile-- and its not the same without her. We started out making Cabbage Patch Dolls; then Little House on the Prairie dolls and raggedy ann/andies. I love the primitive doll look; here some ideas and thoughts for my sisters--

1. Check out www.blackclothdolls.com it shows a lot of great ideas and discusses the popularity and the reason the black dolls were made prior to the Civil War. Love it....

2. Check out the defintion of Waldorf dolls (or Steiner dolls) on wikipedia their original design was to allow the freedom and creativity to feel good about themselves. There are several blogs out there that discuss how to make them.

3. Check out NorthDixie blog -- she makes dolls speficially Izannah Walker dolls.

4. Check out "Prims" magazine for great ideas and inspiration

5. Chop sticks are great stuff it tools!

6. Also check out Edyth O'Neill blog -- Red Cape Blog

Just email me @ misspittypat51@yahoo.com and I can probably answer or help you with your doll making.

I love making dolls and currently I am working on designing a "santos" birdcage doll.

Lila
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  04:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lila, your ideas and thoughts are very helpful. It must have been wonderful having your mother work with you on the dolls all those years. I am going to look up those places. I am interested in the history especially of the black dolls.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  05:04:08 AM  Show Profile
pinokeeo, very interested ! sending you an email
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2011 :  06:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lila.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2011 :  06:52:05 AM  Show Profile
monique-PLEASE post a pic or two of the CHristmas doll-even if she is "in progress" !

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Doll Makers Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page