texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  4:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I am not a seafood person, but that sure sounds good! I was in a mood for something light, so I made tomato soup and an omelet with red onion, cheddar cheese, and fresh tomato.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  9:14:46 PM  Show Profile
I had some salad I made last night. It's a red cabbage salad with seitan (wheat protein) and a chutney-peanut butter dressing. Found it in the Vegetarian Times. I really do feel better when I don't eat meat. I like meat, but I always feel bogged down after I eat it. I've been finding that I don't need nearly as much food to sustain me as I thought I did. I just try to eat healthy. lots of veggies and creative use of spices. Not a junk food vegetarian like I was in college. Now I'm creating great-tasting meals. I love to try something new. My next creative endeavor is cheesy kale chips made using nutritional yeast instead of cheese. I have a list of ingredients but I'll have to guess at the proper amounts of each. Should be fun!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Cindy!

Tonight is:

~Sausage and Bow Tie Pasta Soup
~Homemade Bread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  3:31:38 PM  Show Profile
Last night we had Feta,spinach, rice bake with home canned pears and banana pecan muffins.
Tonight I made the Campanelli with steak and spinach again. This time I put a little less basil in and I liked it better.

I think next time I am out at the store I will pick up the ingredients for the salmon cake recipe you posted Sharon. That is really different from the one I make. It looks really good.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  8:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Prariehawk,

I have eaten very little meat in the past 5 years. I went organic and macrobiotic at that time although I do slip.

I would like to suggest that brown rice is a good food to explore. It is yummy and very filling.

I make kale chips by removing the stems from the leaves and slicing them into maybe 2 inch strips. I warm up olive oil in a fry pan and fry them until crisp. I drain them on an open paper bag and season them with seasoned salt.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  11:05:58 AM  Show Profile
Marie I use organic brown rice in all my recipes. I love the flavor of brown rice and all whole grains. I think my favorite rice is the mixed wild rices from Lumbergs and I mix that with the brown basmati rice and its wonderful.

Your kale chips sound super yummy. Will have to buy some at the store and give that a try.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  11:20:01 AM  Show Profile
It got warm here again, woot woot! DH grilled a steak for us last night, and we made oven sweet potato fries with Cajun seasoning, and a big, yummy green salad.

Tonight is MJF bakeover night. Always good.

By the way, I posted two favorite Danish recipes on my blog. Nini, I know you had been asking me for one of them. Find them here: http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=115

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  08:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I hope that you like them!

Marie, thanks for sharing how you make kale chips, those sound great!

Nicole, it was warm here for a few days but tonight there is a slight chance of snow.

Tonight is:

~Pioneer Woman's Marlboro Man Sandwich using Homemade French Rolls
~Tossed Salad

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  07:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I have to share this awesome salad I made last night.
Curried Rice Salad
-1 1/2 cups wild rice ( I used a multi grain rice blend)
-1 6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts ( I had canned & the can was bigger, but I love artichokes)
-2 T mayo or olive oil, ( I used both)
1 T spicy mustard
-2 T cider vinegar
1/2 t salt
-Fresh ground pepper
-1/2 t curry powder(I used more)
-1 medium chopped red onion
-1/2 cup chopped red pepper (I used more)
-2 T banana pepper
-1/2 cup frozen peas ( I used more)
-1 Tomato chopped
-1/4 cup chopped black olives (I used some good kalamatas I had)
-1/4 cup green onion.
Cook rice,(allow to cool) mix reserved artichoke marinade, mayo, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, s & p, and curry powder. I also added some honey to this about 1-2 T
Fold in veges, add dressing
I added the frozen peas to the rice while it was still warm, it helped to cool it off.
This was SO good, so colorful, so many textures, and the curry gave it that extra oompf to make it much more vibrant than your typical rice salad.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  6:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lisa! That sounds yummy! Will try it! Tonight I made a pork tenderloin in the oven with rosemary and garlic, new red potatoes, and cumin roasted Brussels sprouts. My family fights over who gets the most of those, they are so tasty.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2013 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile
We've got some summer-like weather here, so last night DH decided to grill burgers. Of course, as soon as he turned on the grill, it started pouring rain, but he managed to get dinner done! They were delicious, made from organic ground beef on organic whole wheat buns, with the last of the tomatoes from my garden. These were the black tomatoes and they are so tasty. Sad to have to buy tomatoes at the store again.

Tonight, I am not making dinner. I am troop leader this year for my dd's Girl Scouts, so the other troop leader is bringing pizza and I am baking ten pies with all the girls. I am teaching them how to make an apple pie using fresh apples and from scratch. Wish me luck! I know my kitchen will smell divine with ten pies baking! (Double oven, plus a countertop one).

What's going on in your kitchen?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  11:17:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nicole, I would love to have a double oven. How did the pie making go?

Today, it's crock pot steaks with a yummy marinade, mashed potatoes, and corn. Nothing fancy, but easy.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Family and My Crazy Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Art Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/

2011 Farmgirl of the Year
July 2012 Farmgirl of the Month
Farmgirl #800
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  11:47:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristina! The pie baking was a smashing success! I divided the girls up, and had set up "stations". The table is where they wrote out their recipe cards, then there was a station at the sink where I had pre-washed all 60 apples, but they each got to use the apple slicer/peeler/corer (which was a hit) to slice their apples. Then we had a station with spices and other ingredients, a station where they rolled out their dough and used fancy cookie cutters for their top crusts, and then a station to close their pie crusts and crimp the edge. I baked an extra pie so we all could have pie and ice cream while the others baked. Oh my!! The house was smelling delectable! Each girl got to take home a pie, and they were so proud and happy. Success! But, it has taken me two days to recover...I'm pooped!

Tonight I am making my Curried Eggplant, but think I will use brown rice this time around. And for dessert...apple pie, of course!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, we have been busy!

Tonight I am experimenting :)

~Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed Shells (http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/pumpkin-ricotta-stuffed-shells-recipe-clv1011)
~Tossed Salad

What's for dinner at your house?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  3:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Sharon
Let me know how that turns out. I can't wrap my mind around the tomato addition with the other spices, it seems like it would be better with a bechamel sauce.
I made a pumpkin ravioli once that was similar.
Please report back!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  5:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Reporting back!

Lisa, I know what you mean. I LOVE Bechamel sauce. The first time I ever had Bechamel was when I was in high school and I made Pastitsio :) The tomato sauce with the stuffed shells worked really well. I didn't use storebought I made a quick sauce. I will post the recipe. My husband who is a MEAT eater and does not care for squash LOVED it and had seconds! It was such a cozy kind of meal on this brisk day :)

Here is what I did for sauce:

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh Basil, cut into ribbons (I actually used 1 Tbsp. Dried, I didn't have fresh)
Olive Oil
3 medium Cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly Ground Pepper
1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

I heated the oil in a medium-large saucepan. Sauteed the minced garlic. I then added the rest of the ingredients, mixed well and simmered for about 20 minutes.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2013 :  6:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

OH how I love pumpkin!!!

I made baked ziti. It's really good, with ricotta and spinach, mozzarella, and herbs. It's pretty simple but looks like lasagna and is a big hit. It makes a ton, but my dd and her friend both had three helpings!

Sharon, your sauce recipe looks delish.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  1:43:33 PM  Show Profile
That sounds good Nicole!

Tonight an early dinner:

~Chili
~Homemade Cornbread

and for dessert:

~Green Chili and Apple Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream on top :) (sounds like a strange combination but it really is good!)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  2:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Nicole - that baked ziti sounds wonderful! Will you please share your recipe for pumpkin ricotta stuffed shells?

Oh! Sharon! Pastitsio!!! I bet when you make it it's delicious, but I'm honestly just not sure I could ever try it again. My mother made that one time when we were kids - it was HORRIBLE! SO bad that she threw out dinner and we went out for pizza instead (a rarity for us in those days!) She has always been an excellent cook, but that one was a major, memory-making, stick-in-your-craw-and-never-forget-it flop. It was really, really, really, really bad. LOL! I wonder what she did wrong?

I would love to try Green Chili and Apple Cobbler... Sounds delish!

Tonight we're having pork with homemade kraut and mashed potatoes, and for dessert, homemade apple pie! I am so happy it's fall, y'all!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  3:42:03 PM  Show Profile
I am not actually making dinner, but DH is making Cabbage and Potato soup in our CrockPot! And DS #1 is doing all the clean up so I am taking a well deserved break at the moment! I can't wait to try this!
Nini~ That sounds so delicious! My mouth is watering! Did you make your own kraut?

Ally

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  4:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ally! Yes! I made it for the first time. Super duper simple. I used a gallon size crock (although next time, I'm going to want to use a VAT! LOL!). I think I used three heads of cabbage from the garden. Removed the outer leaves, washed and drained the cabbage, removed the core, sliced it super thin with a knife (went really fast), weighed out five lbs. of shredded cabbage, put it in a HUGE bowl, added 3 tablespoons kosher salt, mixed well with my hands (that's the ratio: three tablespoons salt to five pounds shredded cabbage), let it sit to wilt for about 20 minutes. Next I packed it down really tightly into my clean crock, pressing firmly until juice was drawn out and covered the cabbage. Then I filled a gallon-sized freezer bag with salt water about 2/3 full, sealed the bag, and placed it on top. It didn't quite completely cover the cabbage, but the space was so small, and the cabbage was covered with juices, so I just let it be. Then I took two cloth napkins and covered the crock, securing them with rubber bands. Then I just let it sit on the kitchen table by the window. About two weeks in, my hubby kept saying he could smell kraut, but I couldn't. Then at almost four weeks, I noticed a faint odor of sauerkraut. I think around four and one-half weeks, I got nervous and just had to check on it. Removed the napkins, lifted the bag and there was my tightly packed kraut, all covered with clear juices, but there was no scum or anything else yucky. I replaced the bag, added two new napkins, secured them with the rubber band and left it to sit. At the end of six weeks, it was done! Honest to Pete, it was THAT simple! And man, when we tried it today, it was soooo good. My guys never want to go back to store bought! :) If you've never made it, rest assured, it's so simple, it's ridiculous! The wait is tough with anticipation, but when it's ready? Mmmmm...Mmmmm...Good! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile
I made a big pot roast the other night, with oven roasted veggies. The leftover potatoes I turned into "homefries" in the skillet with eggs, and served it with sliced pumpkin bread for breakfast yesterday. Today I took the rest of the pot roast, shredded it and put it in the crock pot. Mixed up some yummy homemade sauce for a "Chopped Barbeque Sandwich" dinner tonight. Have whole wheat organic rolls for it, and will make homemade potato salad. Feeling homesick for Texas, I guess. :(

Nini, neat that you made your own kraut. Yum!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  10:57:29 AM  Show Profile
I love how you use your "Remains of the Day" Nicole. Another yummy way to use leftover roast: Chop and saute some onions, add some chopped green pepper or jalapenos, add chopped, cooked potatoes and then the roast beef. Mix well and add about a tablespoon of stone ground mustard to make hash. Spoon into an ovenproof dish, make a well in the center and drop an egg into it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in oven until egg is set :)

Tonight I am making:

~Broccoli Cheese Soup (with broccoli from the garden!)
~Homemade Bread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 14 2013 10:59:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Most excellent "leftover luxuries," girls!!! Yum!

We're having Shepherd's Pie tonight. It's not chilly, just very damp outside, and my bones are cold. My hubby's been working outside all day, so I want to be sure there's something good at the table to warm his bones. I have some leftover mashed potatoes from last night, so that works for me! :)

Sharon - I just brought in a couple of gallon bags full of broccoli from the garden yesterday. I have NEVER had broccoli worms before, although I know my sister-in-law has contended with them for years. Anyhow - SEVEN salt-water rinses later, and a good eye exam and hand picking and rinsing later, I was STILL finding little ones floating at the bottom of my bowls. Ew! What to do? Well, hubby says just to go for it, what's a little extra protein when all is said and done? I'm kind of appalled by the thought, but I know that whatever didn't come off in the saltwater will definitely become a cooked protein supplement at some point. We love broccoli so much - we eat a ton of it in lots of different recipes. Have I been missing these little buggers all along? I've never seen them floating in the rinse water before! Is it, perhaps, just a symptom due to the change in seasons? Do I have anything to be concerned about?

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Gosh Nini, I don't know. This is my first time growing Broccoli. If I've been missing them I guess my honey can't complain about getting meatless meals
I love Shepherd's Pie.

Tonight we are having:

~Leftover Chili
~Cornbread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page