Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:44:40 AM  Show Profile
LOL! You're so bad!!! LOL!!! Totally cracked me up, Sharon... I think you and Charlie would get along famously! LOL!

I actually changed my mind last minute and made French meat pie instead... Boy, did it go fast! LOL! I swear sometimes you'd think there were a dozen in our family!

Tonight we're having chicken stuffed shells with sautéed turnip greens and baked apples. If we keep going at this rate, I'm not going to have enough apples to put up for winter... We're going to have to make another orchard run! Works for me! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  12:25:04 PM  Show Profile
My sweetie is grilling hickory chip smoked pork chops while I'm making wild rice and an arugula salad

Probably popcorn while we watch some movie that we'll wrangle over to decide I may do the dark chocolate drizzled popcorn or just butter and salt. Have any of you ever tried popcorn with a sprinkling of Mrs. Dash? We thought it was really good.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  4:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Nini and Sharon, LOL!

Tonight I got a night off! DH and DD made a Danish meal: 'Frikadeller", Danish Meatballs with boiled potatoes and brown gravy, and German red cabbage kraut.

Annika, your dinner sounds delicious! Glad to see you on the forum.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  5:08:08 PM  Show Profile
OH MY GOSH!!!! NICOLE!!! My Mom used to make Frikadeller when we were kids! I have asked her for the recipe about a million times, but she always "forgets." <I actually think she does this as a favor to my sister.> Will you please PLEASE share your recipe? Frikadeller is a childhood favorite! Yum! Yum!

Lucky you for getting the night off!

Annika - that DOES sound yummy!!! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  5:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Tonight it was meatloaf,roasted potatoes and homecanned greenbeans and applesauce. I have not had meatloaf in awhile and it really hit the spot. All of your meals sound so good and so different from what we eat.
I know what you mean Nini. We only have 3 of us hear and I feel like I am serving 6. I can't believe the food they go through.I seem to be in the kitchen quite a bit for just us 3.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile
I had the last of my famous crockpot soup topped with Swiss cheese and small amounts of rosemary leaves, turmeric and garlic & herb mix added.

I am participating in a week long online survey in which I log everything I eat. They want to know what I ate, what I added, where I got everything, how it was prepared, what the ingredients are, are they organic, low fat, gluten-free etc. This is for both food and beverages. It takes a long time to fill out. I do it as soon as I have eaten so I do not forget anything. I would love to see the results.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  7:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Baked flounder, whole-wheat rotini, sautéed bell peppers and tomatoes, and French silk pie for dessert.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  6:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Nini, it is amazing how much we have in common, farmsister! I will have to get dh to give me the details of the frikadeller. Oh, and check out my blog that went live today...
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/default.asp?Display=116
it's all pumpkin with some of my most favorite recipes. ;)

Tonight I made mock fried chicken in the oven. It was so good and very moist. I had also found organic butternut squash this week, so I wanted to make that before it went bad. My peeler broke half way through peeling it. Wanted something simple but didn't want to make the typical boiled with nutmeg. Googled recipes, and found this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-roasted-butternut-squash/. It was delish! I used fresh Parmesan cheese since that is what I had on hand. I will make that again for sure.

And for dessert...hee hee...pumpkin bread! (recipe on blog)

Stuffed.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  08:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Annika, that sounds wonderful!
Linda, perfect comfort food!
Marie, that sounds really good, I love Swiss Cheese. Have you ever tried Jarlsberg? It's quite similar.
Alyce, yum! I have never tried French Silk Pie. It sounds divine :)
Nicole, is Frikadeller similar to a meatball?
Nini, hehehe :) How do you make your French Meat Pie? My mom is French-Canadian and adds cinnamon and clove to the meat and potato mixture. She also used beef. I thought most recipes were beef and pork.

Tonight my mom is making dinner for us :) (a much needed break)

We are having:

~Pot Roast
~Potatoes and Carrots
~I will probably make some biscuits to go with :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  08:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Sharon,it is! The chocolate is really creamy, but light too.

I made veggie burritos last night. Tonight I'm thinking Mahi Mahi with red potatoes?

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  08:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmmmm :)

Alyce, the very first time I had Mahi Mahi it was cooked with fresh diced tomatoes, basil and garlic. I need to buy some I think :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  5:58:08 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I've also got a butternut squash that needs to be used! I think I'll try out that recipe!

Today I made Turkey, lentil, black bean, zucchini chili in my slow cooker! It actually smells and looks like chili this time! Last time I made chili....well...my family put on a brave face and endured. ;) For dessert, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies! Time to eat!

Ally

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  6:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Ally, let me know what you think if you make it. I loved it.

Sharon, Frikadeller is a meatball, made with pork, and browned in hot oil in a skillet. Sometimes served cold as an appetizer, we eat it the typical Dane way with brown sauce, potatoes, and red cabbage on the side.

Tonight I needed quick and easy. Dog tired. Made a package of the organic, natural chicken sausage, browned in the skillet with an onion and green pepper. Boxed (gasp!) mac and cheese (at least it was organic Trader Joes,LOL), and green beans.

Ally, Please, I must have that recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (peek at my blog and you will know why, hee hee). Please post it. :)

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  6:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, Here is the link to the recipe I found. I used canned pumpkin today but I am thinking next time I'm going to roast my own pumpkin! They are so delicious!
http://www.iheartnaptime.net/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Ally

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2013 :  10:25:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole!

Ally,

Your dinner sounds so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe link :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  03:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Nicole - thanks for sharing the pumpkin recipes - I've got them down and will be trying them very, very soon! And YEP! That's how we enjoyed Frikadeller, too! SO good. And SO worth the wait for the recipe - take your time! I'm not going anywhere! :)

Sharon - I will share the recipe once my neighbor shares his with me (Believe it or not, is French Canadian like my grandfather and your Mom AND who grew up not far from my great-grandparents' homestead in RI!!! He and my mom are the same age - they didn't grow up together, but when they met, they had so much in common, it was amazing!). I have never used cloves until the other night when I was in desperation, having run out of allspice. I also forgot to thaw the ground pork, so I used all ground beef. It turned out pretty well, but it wasn't the "real" thing, according to Rene... He had an absolute FIT when I told him I substituted... I swear, he screeched "ACK!!!"" Then he literally said, "OH MY GAWD!!! You didn't use PAWK? That's the KEY!!! IT gives the Tourtierres theyah FLAVAH!!! And CLOVES? UGH! What were you THINKING?! UGH! All the French Canadians are rolling ovah in theyah GRAVES, child!!!" Then he broke out into a fit of laughter, as did I. He laughed so hard, I thought he'd bust a gut, I swear. I hanged my head in shame... I replied, "Geez, Rene... All the people in Heaven finally are buzzing about me, and it's not for anything good!" (Because, you know, according to French Canadians - or at least Rene - only French Canadians are in Heaven... LOL!!!) He made me promise NEVAH to take shawtcuts like that again, and he is going to give me HIS recipe (from the RI French Canadian Historical Society - something I am regularly reminded I must register for for the sake of the family and all of mankind) AGAIN (because it keeps getting lost in my recipe box). As soon as I obtain the REAL thing and take another verbal chastisement for my erroneous, foolhardy, sinful, SHAMEFUL ways, I promise I'll share... ;) Thank goodness I didn't tell him that I really cheated and used Pillsbury pie crust instead of making it from scratch (Yes, I hang my head in farmgirl shame as well... it's a long story how they wound up in my freezer... I usually make mine from scratch, but it was there, so I used it. Waste not!) Can you just imagine what THAT would've done to him?! Tee hee hee...

Ally! That website is AWESOME! She has so many incredible recipes! My son is going to go nuts over her Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies with Caramel Sauce! Thanks SO much for sharing!!!

I think tonight we're going to try Farmgirl Daizy's Santa Fe Soup... http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64697 It's a chilly morning and the day is shaping up to be the same, so I think her soup with some cornbread, as she suggested, will be the perfect meal to warm us up at the end of the day! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 18 2013 03:52:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  10:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Got an Apple pie in the oven, and eating leftover Corn-Potato Chowder and making fresh cornbread, and sliced Tomatoes. The roadside market near my home still has garden tomatoes left, Picked up 6 ripe ones yesterday. They also have a kitchen at the main location about 6 miles away where they can the vegetables for those who can't. So I have picked up 4 quart jars of Tomatoes to use for the Winter in Chili and Spaghetti, or just eat them out of the jar! LOL!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2013 :  5:25:40 PM  Show Profile
Sounds so good Ms. Connie...for us it was oven fried chicken...uses very little olive oil...potatoes...cream corn and homemade cornbread...I put several quarts of tomatoes in the freezer this Summer...so good in homemade vegetable beef soup and chili...used to eat tomatoes out of the jar all the time...my mom and granny canned so many each Summer...such wonderful memories...

Hugs!

Judy

"A Falling Leaf is Summer's Wave Goodbye"...

Come little leaf, said the wind one day. Come to the meadow with me and play. Put on your dresses of red and gold; for the summer is past and the days grow cold.
George Cooper

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440

Edited by - wildflower17 on Oct 18 2013 5:26:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  4:23:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm torn between tacos and veggie burgers...leaning towards tacos though.

The Frikadeller sounds delish! Pity Ric can't eat it.... :(

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  6:32:14 PM  Show Profile
We had natural wieners hubby brought back from Wisconsin and fried kraut on top of them and baked beans. Its cold, drizzly and icky out today. Kraut and wieners sounded so good. I rarely eat them but when I do I like the kraut on them.

I am hoping to start making my first batch of kraut tomorrow.My crocks came in Friday and today I was able to get some really nice green heads of cabbage.I am so excited and hope it turns out at least as good as the storebought.

Ally roasting your own pumpkins is really good. I have done that the past few years and its so easy and the results are great. I plan on roasting a few this year myself and freezing the extra pulp.

Linda

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  6:39:14 PM  Show Profile
Linda! awwww that sounds so good, you just threw me back to my childhood, standing on a step stool in the kitchen ,watching my granny slice up the wieners into the kraut! I am the only one in my family that loves Kraut and wieners and you make your own kraut! Yummy! Alyce, we had veggie burgers.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  09:14:42 AM  Show Profile
You girls are making me hungry!

Nini, you crack me up! Great accent!

Tonight is:

~Chili Stuffed Baked Potatoes with trimmings
~JackApple Cake (from Jenna at Cold Antler Farm)

I had leftover chili that I froze and with the temps dipping a little I thought the baked potato would be perfect :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  1:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharon I just love her website.I visit it about once a week. Does she have that recipe posted there?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  2:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Linda,

here is a link to the post :)

http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/2012/10/jackapple-cake.html

I just noticed that the recipe differs from the one in her Made From Scratch book. I had a couple of issues with it and I guess I know why now :)
While checking out the recipe, the one thing I would do different is instead of melting butter for the topping, soften it. It was supposed to be spreadable like a paste, but it kept separating from the cinnamon-sugar mixture for me.

Oh, and instead of a 9 x 9 like she originally called for I used an 11 x 7.

The recipe on the blog sounds more doable than the version that I made which I would do again, it was very tasty this morning with a nice cup of coffee :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 21 2013 2:10:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  2:44:22 PM  Show Profile
It's been a crazy-busy few days at my house. Tonight I wanted to make something that would not take too much time or work to prepare. I decided to throw together a quiche. Had a homemade pie crust frozen in the freezer, so I took that out and put it in a pan. Mixed eggs, milk, cheese, veggies, and ham together with a pinch of nutmeg. We will see how it turns out. :)

Hugs,
Nicole

PS Nini, haven't forgotten the recipe, just haven't gotten DH to tell me all of it yet...we've been on the go a lot. Get it to you soon.

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page