Page: of 106

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  5:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Make homemade mac and cheese tonight with a crunchy buttery cheesey topping. Also baked in the oven butternut squash,apple, and pear sprinkled with cinnamon, and a little sugar and butter. It tasted so good just like fall.

Sharon I am confused by the recipe on her blog. Are you suppose to put the apples in a pan then pour the batter over the top?She talks about putting the apples in a cobbler. Then she has you put the batter in a different pan and does not mention where the apples are suppose to go. I have not seen a recipe quite worded like that. I was a little confused. Thanks for the link.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 21 2013 5:47:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  6:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda,

I just checked the recipe I have from her book with the one online. I think the word cobbler is the confusing part. I mixed 1 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder, 3 teaspoons cinnamon and then added the apples, tossed well and then mixed in the warmed honey. Let this sit in the fridge for 2 hours. Add the cider with the wet ingredients :)Then add flour one half cup at a time and mix well. All of the ingredients are eventually mixed together in one bowl and it all goes in one pan.

You know the recipe posted on her blog is so different in amounts and directions than the one in the book. Aaargh. I'm sorry for the confusion!

BTW, your dinner sounds so Fallish and yummy!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 21 2013 6:36:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Peanut butter and jelly open face sandwiches for me tonight. I will cook something good tomorrow . . . maybe.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  4:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Tonight it was soft and blue chip taco night topped with baby greens,fiesta cheese and salsa. Desert was homemade applesauce with cinnamon.

Sharon that is a confusing recipe but don't blame yourself....lol. She has it posted that way on her blog and noticed a few people asking questions. Its just one of those things but its okay. Thanks for helping clear it up. I would like to try making it this weekend it sounds super yummy.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  06:02:10 AM  Show Profile
It is very cold here. Thinking stew tonight with carrots and potatoes. Yum!

Crock pot time!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  06:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Yep! I fired up my crockpot to make my Famous Crock Pot Soup.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  08:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Nicole - that's okay! I can wait! It's totally WORTH the wait! And I'm not going anywhere! Thank you!

Sharon - 'Haven't seen Rene yet to get his recipe. I haven't forgotten you, either!

Daizey - Your soup was very good! Tasted a little bit like a tangy chili. VERY hearty. I made a double batch and froze some for another meal! Thank you!!!

I am just so not wanting to cook lately - it's awful. We've had more soup and sandwiches over the past few days than I care to have in a year! What I really want to do is to ride up to Rhode Island and get some really good creamy clam chowder, clam cakes and stuffies (stuffed quahogs)... Mmmm.... Maybe I'll make some corn chowder, tuna cakes (clam cakes made with tuna instead) and stuffie casserole (basically the spicy baked stuffie stuffing made with tuna instead). Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right? :)

Happy day, girls!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  10:12:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini! Stop that! I have not heard the name Qhuahogs in forever. Oh yum! No rush on the recipe, I should have known his name would be Rene ;)

Well, I have been baking and cooking since early this morning, I baked a Ham, am roasting a Chicken in my crockpot, made some Saffron Raisin Bread and some Harvest Moon Cookies (all prepping for this weekend!)
Tonight though Michael is grilling some Hamburgers, and a friend blessed us with some red, blue and gold potatoes I will be making oven fries with, served with some homemade Bread and Butter Pickles

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2013 :  03:56:43 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Okay, Sharon... But do you call them "kwahogs" or "cohogs?" ;)

We finished the last of the homemade chicken soup, so it's time to pull out a couple of chickens to thaw for Sunday. :) We also finished the last of our ham - time to call the piggy farmer!

Tonight I'm making chicken... I don't have a name for it, I made it up years ago. Basically you pound each boneless breast flat, layer a slice of provolone on top, then add a big spoonful of garlicy-buttery stuffing made with seedless soft rye (about 1 slice per breast plus one or two extra, cubed), Italian bread crumbs (just enough for texture), melted butter and garlic. Fold the chicken and cheese over the stuffing, secure with a toothpick, then place in baking dish, seam down. Sprinkle remaining stuffing crumbs on top and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour 'til done. Oh my gosh, it's so good. We'll have that with steamed broccoli served with lemon.

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Alanna Neupert
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Alanna
cabot PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2013 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Omg. Garlicky buttery stuffing inside chicken, I'm getting hungry thinking about it! Great idea for chicken ~.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  04:05:02 AM  Show Profile
So, SO good, Alanna... ;)

Today they're kicking off their 1st Annual Pittsburgh Pierogie Festival dahntahn (that's "downtown" for you non-Pittsburghers). Pittsburghers love their Pierogies! So, we'll be celebrating here at home, too! We usually don't have them until Lent, so this is going to be a real treat. Sometimes we boil them and serve with butter, sometimes we pan fry them with onions and peppers, but tonight I'm going to sautee them with homemade sauerkraut and serve sautéed onions and sour cream on the side. I can't wait to surprise the guys! What a treat!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  04:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Last night we had pizza. Good ol' fashioned, from the pizzeria, pizza. Yum.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Family and My Crazy Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Art Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/

2011 Farmgirl of the Year
July 2012 Farmgirl of the Month
Farmgirl #800
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  6:30:25 PM  Show Profile
DH and I went out to The Nightingale retaurant near our home. I had a house burger with aioli sauce. DH had sturgeon. It was his birthday so I spurged on him. We shared a chocolate comfit with seasalt. Amazing how good it was.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  11:43:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I missed a couple days (date change). My cooking has been sporadic over the weekend. DD had a costume party to go to Friday, then I hosted my farmgirl sisterhood chapter on Saturday, so I baked pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing (recipe on my blog). It was sooooooo yummy! Then Saturday night we had another family Halloween party to attend at a friend's house, where we all dressed up, and I brought another pumpkin cake I baked. Whew. Tired. So tonight, I am making sloppy joe's, homemade, from scratch using the last of the peppers from the garden. Still getting a few baby yellow tomatoes but they are winding down as we have had frost. Yesterday, we did the same as Christine...good ol' pizzeria pizza. Yum. So, what's on your table?

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Alanna Neupert
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Alanna
cabot PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Ninibini~ Hi ... I'm polish and I love perogi's .. Haven't made them since my late husband passed away. My Mom's perogi dough was so soft, she made them by the turkey roasters full to the top.. Pittsburgh Magazine just did a bunch of articles on perogi's that I just received this week. Some different recipes for perogi's in there. Love your idea sauting sauerkraut with your perogis . Yummy ~ pure comfort food ... Going to have to make some for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  9:37:40 PM  Show Profile
Grandkids coming over tomorrow. Menu changes when they're coming. I love to do wrapped hot dogs around Halloween. I make them looke like mummies. You all know that recipe! Going to combine it with a peach congealed salad and, some pumpkin cream cheese monkey bread for dessert. As if regular monkey bread isn't wicked enough. You can use MJ's budget mix or do some up on your own. I make my own baking mix with white whole wheat flour. The dough balls are mixed with raw sugar and pumpkin pie spice. I'm going to use the Baking Spice mix and it is so delish. Cream cheese, butter and brown sugar are heated, whisked and poured over the sprinkled dough in the bundt pan. Rocking good stuff.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  7:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Tonight made a whole BBQ chicken, steamed brocolli,combined sweet potatoes from the garden with pears and apples,spice,and butter and baked it in the oven in a caserole dish at the same time the chicken was cooking. It was like desert.

I love perogies and have not had them in years. I would love to try making them. Sylvia your monkey bread is making me drool. Gosh that sounds wonderful. I have never made monkey bread before and now thats next on my list of things to make but love the version you described.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow, everyone's meals sound great!

Nini, I had never tried pierogis until about 5 years ago and I love them! We make a casserole (recipe from Cooking Light)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-pierogi-bake-50400000108395/

Michael loves his meat so I wasn't sure if he would go for this recipe but he loves it!

I need to find a recipe to make my own pierogis.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Last night, DH grilled a couple of little steaks and steamed some veggies. I made this week's MJF recipe of the week for the potatoes. It was delish! A keeper for sure.

Tonight is cold. I am making chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie! Tomorrow is Halloween, so I will make a big pot of chili. It's tradition on Halloween. :)

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  12:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Ohmygosh! We're having the same thing, Nicole! Crack me up! You're right - twins separated at birth! LOL! AND we do chili on Halloween, too! Spooooky.....

Sharon! That Bacon Pierogi Bake looks amazing! We're definitely going to have to try it!!! Thank you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 30 2013 12:17:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  11:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...I think I'll make scalloped creamy potatoes with leeks, toss a light green salad together and bake a couple of apples for dessert. That sounds really lovely with a dollop of whipped cream! (I love my old egg beater )

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

She with the most chickens wins

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  11:40:30 AM  Show Profile
We're having roast chicken with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and sautéed Brussels sprouts with lemon. Might bake some apples up later if I have time, too... That DOES sound lovely, Annika! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2013 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Told ya! LOL! Your dinner tonight sounds delish, too. Tonight I took eggplant, tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, and garlic and onion, browned the veggies with olive oil, then simmered it all on the stove with curry, salt, ginger, and mixed in brown rice. Yum!! Filling and delish.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2013 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Everybody is cooking some mighty fine stuff. I bought a smoked sausage and some cabbage. Thought I would try out my new bakeover pan. Love sausage, cabbage and onions, add some dough, I'm in heaven! Anyone have suggestions to add to this? I'm listening....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I am experimenting:

~Meatballs Strogonoff
~Peas

The recipe I found for the Meatball Strogonoff called for frozen Italian Style Meatballs, but I am making my own. I hope this recipe is a keeper :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page