YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  07:00:57 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, you always have such yummy and well-thought-out dinners.

Today it's brunch at sister Bobbie's ~~ eggs, fried garlic baloney, and home fries. We both watch bad fats so a slice or two of fried baloney is a real treat for us.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  5:37:23 PM  Show Profile

Shake and Bake Chicken...mashed potatoes...peas...corn...and fresh homemade cornbread...Yummy!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  6:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Tonight was yummy! We have had to cancel our Girl Scouts several times due to weather...(OMG, do NOT get me started)...so tonight we said we were going to have our troop meeting even if we had to sled to it. We celebrated Chinese New Year. One of the moms made Homemade Chinese Fried Rice, it was scrumptious. We had all sorts of chinese dishes, and then the girls all learned and made homemade dumplings! They were heavenly!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  8:42:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, how cool is that, Nicole? I bet you all had a blast! What fun!!!

Tonight we had good ol' fashioned fried chicken, oven fries, tossed salad and sliced strawberries on the side. Gosh, did that hit the spot! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2015 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile
The past few days I made some Lucky Bean Sausage soup, Danish Smorgasbord, Potter's Pie, and Grilled Chicken Salsds. Tonight I am doing Mock Fried Chicken, Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potato Patties with Applesauce.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  07:09:49 AM  Show Profile
It's National Pi day! 3-14-15! I am making a bakeover for dinner (dh request) and for dessert: a big, fat, yummy apple pie! Anyone else making pie?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile
I made a chicken marsala that was to die for tonight! On the side, roasted sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Forgot tomorrow is St. Patty's! Eeek. Must run to store tomorrow...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  3:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Boy, I've not been here for a while. Last night we had curried ground beef (our own homegrown beef) with veggies and red rice. I get to take the leftovers for my lunch tomorrow on my drive to Phoenix.

Tonight it's pork chops from our friend who raises her own hogs . . not sure what will go with. Didn't plan ahead for corned beef and cabbage and I doubt I'll ever do store bought again. I've use Mary Janes recipe for corned beef and it is YUMMY!!!!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Salmon loaf with roasted rosemary potatoes & Italian cut green beans.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  2:02:32 PM  Show Profile
We're having Reubens from our leftover corned beef from our St. Patty's day dinner! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Pantry pizza with Bisquick Gluten Free crust.

Potato soup with leeks, onions, and dried sweet potatoes.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2015 :  5:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's "clean out the frig" night here at Robin's. Going for cleaning up leftovers!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  4:22:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, farmgirls. I haven't been on here lately because I just wasn't feeling well. Long story...

Anyway, I have had some interesting dinners here and there last week or so. Last Saturday I went to an "International Pot Luck". Everyone had to be from somewhere else (I got to go because a. the host is my best friend and b. I'm married to a Dane so it counts, lol. I had food from New Zealand, Jamaica, Australia, and England. I made Danish meatballs in curry sauce and Danish Cream Puffs. Last night we went out for my birthday, so I didn't cook. I had Fall Chicken Pot Pie and Lava cake with ice cream (yum). Tonight I am making chili because it is cold tonight, and for dessert, I made a cheesecake pie.

What's on your table?
Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  4:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, the international potluck dinner sounds like a lot of fun with a lot of really good food.

I worked inside & out today so supper was sardines, pork n/ beans, cheddar cheese & crackers, with a glass of Merlot. Yes, I drink red wine with sardines. I guess it's an acquired taste.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2015 :  4:50:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a fun one. Hubs and I go to an Oktoberfest in Cinci in August. It is hosted at a VERY authentic venue called Germania Park. They have the most authentic German food, and the entertainment is top notch.
Well, hubs and I have had a very trying week, lots of surprise home repairs (I'll spare the details). I send him a msg on Weds "Wouldn't it be nice to be at Germania with a mett,(with curry mustard) on a hard roll, a cold Warsteiner and a set or 2 of Autobahn (the entertainer we love)?" His response "Hell Yea"
Soo I went to Kroger, bought the best metts I could find, some hard ciabatta rolls, and a 6 pack of dark Warsteiner, AND, I found a You Tube video of Autobahn that I will play on our TV at the appropriate time tonight.
Oktoberfest in March???? Heck yea!
I'll let you know how he likes it!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  05:08:54 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, the next time you have an Oktoberfest I want to come. Sounds like so much fun ~ not to mention the good food.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  5:25:48 PM  Show Profile
Sara! YOu would be my first invite! I would love to show a TX gal a proper German Cinci Oktoberfest!
But onto the dinner. I made a curry mustard out of spicy kombucha mustard (that I fermented and made), some yellow mustard, curry powder, and local honey (courtesy of Linda, aka wooliespinner, and her son Michael).
I told hubs he was not allowed in the living room or kitchen for about an hour. I took our Germania ceramic beer stein (pic below, and signed by the logo designer; here's a pic) stuck it in the freezer with 2 Warsteiners, then went to work.. I added the grill insert to our Harman wood burning stove, added the metts, and put the rolls on top to warm/toast.
After they were done, I plated everything, and blindfolded hubs, brought him into the living room, handed him the plate and the stein, and cued the You Tube video.
He was SOOO surprised.. I received many hugs and kisses, and he has declared that I need to bottle the mustard, and retire. HAHA.
It was a fun thing to do in the midst of laboring home repairs, and OH weather that can't decide whether to be 70 and sunny, or 35 and spitting ice.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  5:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, first things first ~ I love that stein. Next I want that spicy kombucha mustard recipe ~~ and last but not least girl you sure do know how to throw a party for two.

I tried making mustard several years back but it didn't turn out so good. Should have kept trying till I got it right but I didn't. The mustard seeds I had left went into pickling.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  06:17:07 AM  Show Profile
Today I am making my version of a spring soup. A lot of chicken broth (can broth)flavored with parsley, thyme, and rosemary fresh from my gardens and a dash of cayenne. A few thin sliced carrots, onions, garlic, with dried potatoes, parsnips, zucchini, mushrooms, and kale. One or two diced up store canned tomatoes with juice. Simmer for an hour and serve with crackers w/melted cheddar cheese.

Edited because when I was hunting around in my pie-safe where I keep dried things I found red bell pepper & turnips to add to the mix.

Sara

Edited by - YellowRose on Mar 31 2015 07:03:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  07:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your soup sounds so fresh and light!
The spicy kombucha is simple. You take whole mustard seeds (I usually fill a quart canning jar about 1/2 full; it will expand). Cover with kombucha, checking daily to make sure seeds are covered with a layer of kombucha. Once the seeds expand, you won't have to add any more kombucha. After a few weeks or even months (this won't go bad), wiz it up in a blender or food processor. As smooth or grainy as you like. Not for the faint of heart! Very spicy, but you can cut it with honey or whatever. We love it here.
If you need a kombucha scoby to start your own, let me know.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  07:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, seeing I don't know what kombucha scoby is, but I do know I don't have it, so I will definitely need it along with a recipe.

Wouldn't my high school English teacher be proud of my run on & on sentence.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  6:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I remember going to my dad's ranch in the hill country in Texas, and after a long hard day of working the ranch we'd have a sardine dinner like the one you describe. Always with green onions. Your spring soup sounds good, too.

Lisa, Can I come for Oktoberfest too, please?

Sunday I took a roast out but it didn't thaw properly (don't get me started on that it's STILL winter here), so we had "veggie platters"! Loved it. Corn on the cob, brussel sprouts, garbanzo salad. Last night we had pork roast with fresh rosemary, pan seared fresh green beans, and sweet potato patties. Tonight we had Dansk Beouf, or Danish Beef. Sliced bread open faced sandwiches topped with a grilled ground beef patty, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, pickles, saurkraut and onions, topped with brown gravy. So good!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  9:55:37 PM  Show Profile
I have finally, after 3 years, figured out that I do not need to check post by post and just click on "active post" - what a difference it makes. So many posts coming up that I was not aware! I've enjoyed reading some of your menus! Yummy! Although not sure about that hot mustard!

Dinner tonight is one of my favourite.

Salmon stuffed with spinach, pesto, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes
Roasted Brussel Sprouts (kosher salt, olive oil, bit of lemon)
Roasted sweet potatoes

Delish ....

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Supper tonight...

Beef stew with dumplings (mixed up some extra and baked them off as biscuits for breakfast, as we have a busy day tomorrow.) My sons and their friends in their Contenders for the Faith group are hosting a cookout potluck lunch for their sister and her friends in her Keepers of the Faith group. The boys are working on a grilling badge.

Farm Families Forevermore
Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2015 :  5:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Trying to decide between BBQ pulled pork or Roasted Rabbit for Easter? ( Rabbit is a rather large mama rabbit whom we put in the freezer last fall... had her for almost 3 year, but she had 17 babies in a total of 4 litters and lost all but 1 kit, which only survived because we gave her to another doe to foster... anyway, she was a big old New Zealand doe who ate a lot and was a terrible mother... plus she was also rather mean.)

What do you girls think?

Farm Families Forevermore
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page