HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  2:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Nicole---when I am making these special dinners it is because my husband is helping me. He was a cook in the army and he still loves to cook. I am a good cook and I cook every day, but I like to make casseroles, soups and crockpot meals or simple vegetable dinners. I love meatloaf but the last one I made fell apart and was horrible. Not my specialty. I don't think I have ever made a really good one.

You Might Be a Redneck If---you've transported a goat in an economy car.---Jeff Foxworthy FarmGirl#7620
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  4:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Has nobody ate anything since April 30th?
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  7:47:57 PM  Show Profile
Ha Ha Barbara! I made pork chops (a super cheap cut) sautéed in butter and olive oil, S & P, and just a bit of white wine. They were OK, but something that would have been better suited to a long slow cook. Then, asparagus from our yard. We have purple asparagus, and some are as big around as a football players thumb(or 2)!! Sorry, I couldn't think of anything else to reference, but they are HUGE!
Been eating lots of salads from our GardenStalk (cresses, mustard greens, broccoli starts, kale etc). Also made some shrimp and grits. Yum!
PS, this was over a few days, not all tonight..LOL
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  1:38:31 PM  Show Profile
This morning I got up at 5am and put on a crock pot of pinto beans. I bought the beans from Rancho Gordo. Soaked them overnight then put them in the crock pot with an onion, Serrano pepper, garlic, cumin, celery salt and red pepper flakes. By mid morning my house spelled awesome. Beans will be ready in another hour or so. Can't wait to dig in. Serving them with hot dogs in buns tonight.

Thanks Sara for mentioning Rancho Gordo.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  2:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Awesome. How I do love pinto beans. I'm going to put the stuff you do in the next pot I make. What is a serrano pepper? I don't have to cook tonight---hubbies working late and won't be home until ten o'clock. Girls night out for me.---ha,ha.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  5:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara
A Serrano pepper is a medium hot pepper about the size of my ring finger. I used the pepper but scraped out the seeds. I like a kick but not a beating of spicy.

I looked it up and they actually have a scale of hotness. It is called the Scoville scale. Serranos are twice as hot as jalapenos. I only used one in my beans.
The hottest pepper is the Ghost pepper. If you eat it you turn into a ghost because the heat will melt you. The hottest pepper I ever ate was a habanero which was ooouuuwwiie hot and it was way down the scale. It is interesting reading about peppers.

TW

Edited by - Tumbleweed on May 11 2018 6:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  6:27:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy---that would be way too hot for me! I dehydrated some hot banana peppers and I will just put some of them. My husband likes hot peppers and I do not .He is making me plant jalapenos in the garden. I have heard of ghost peppers---my brother in law grew one although I never heard of his results. I do know that he tried to dehydrate a hot pepper in the microwave and it was deadly---like tear gas. His neighbor tried that too. It was severe! I sure will try beans this way---sounds great. Thanks.

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  8:10:13 PM  Show Profile
You are funny Barbara. I can just picture everyone standing out in the street while the Hazmat team is dismantling your brother in law's mircowave. :)

Seriously, I hope everyone was ok. Sounds like it was a little scary.

TW

Edited by - Tumbleweed on May 11 2018 8:12:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  8:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Nancy so happy you like Rancho Gordo. I added a canned pint jar of their Caballero beans to vegetable soup today. Since I cook for one I can dried beans in pint jars. I have several pkg of Rancho Gordo beans to can in the coming weeks.

The vegetable soup was made with fresh carrots, onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and sorrel; dried zucchini; and canned mushroom broth, dried caballero beans; and store bought diced tomatoes. I like the convenience of having things on hand when I want to throw a soup together.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  06:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Last night we had a frozen pizza. I planted flowers all day and was too tired to stand up and cook. Today I'm cooking a pot of beans like Nancy makes and baked potato and fresh steamed broccoli. I can hardly wait to eat some veggies after that cardboard pizza. The only good frozen pizza is one left unbought in the grocery store.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  09:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, that is so true about frozen pizzas :)

TW

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  06:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Last night we had chicken and veg skewers on grill, used diy italian marinade. We top with crumbled Feta and try not to make ourselves sick eating too much!
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  11:24:47 AM  Show Profile
Nancy---those beans were so good. That is my new way to cook them. Who would have thought Someone from California would tell a hillbilly how to cook beans. I got a great compliment when I went in Walmart last week. A man that worked there told me that he liked my outfit and that I looked like his friend from California. I always dress nice when I go to town so that no one will suspect that I live in a holler.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  3:29:12 PM  Show Profile
But Barbara I am a hillbilly too. Well one at heart. I was born here because of the USMC. Was almost born in North Carolina. I got a chuckle from your comment. It was cute

Glad your beans turned out awesome. My hubby didn't like them as much. He doesn't like beans much at all. I added them to ground turkey last night and made burritos with grilled yellow squash. He loved them that way. I grew up eating beans, especially when money was tight.

TW

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  4:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Nothing wrong with the holler Barbara! Good folk, and good wholesome food and fresh air. Can't beat that!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

Sorry to be away so long...glad to see the post was active. I have been dealing with the aftermath of Armeggedon here. Our area was hit with tornadoes and storms. Trees down everywhere and one hit my house. No power for a week so no cooking. We are back! Dealing with it all, but getting some normalcy.

Last night I made a chicken with fresh green beans. Simple, good, nourishing...especially after scavenging all week, lol!

Tonight I am making Califonia burgers. I am mixing up organic ground turkey, peppers, onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Pink salt, and cheese. Serving up little burgers on pretzel brioche rolls...YUM! Side of homemade potatoe salad I’ll make with multi colored new potatoes and fresh eggs. Weather today will be nice and perfect for deck dining. What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  05:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Nicole it all sounds good. I'm canning and drying today so it's a nibbling day for me. I started off with left over pizza for breakfast at 7a.m. I've been up since 4a.m. so the pizza hit the spot.

Nibbles: link sausage; assorted cheeses; pull apart cheese and jalapeno bread; date bars; and anything else I can find to eat without having to cook and clean up.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  07:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Anything I can scrounge up. May is upon us---tons of garden work and mowing---as my husband says I hate May! plus all our nasty rain and decks to stain. I sometimes wonder if I can live through another growing season. Tonight cabbage and polish sausage with canned kidney beans and baked taters and cornbread, life is hard in this holler and my old bones are tired. As Bette Davis said---old age ain't for sissies. Farmin' and living in a holler ain't either.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile
People---I just want to say that we should all be thankful for the food we have. I have a friend that when her husband lost his job they did not have enough to eat, she had to go around to her relatives and ask for food to cook. She is a great cook and she would come up with a great healthy meal---then he would fuss at her because she hadn't been able to find a hot dog for him. Go figure and LOL.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  06:23:22 AM  Show Profile
We are so incredibly lucky to have plenty of good food to eat!!! We really are!!! So often we complain about too many unhealthy choices - things that make us gain weight - when other folks and other places in the world struggle so terribly. It puts it in perspective - that is for sure!!!

Tonight we are having Greek Lemon Chicken Skewers - Cucumber Sour Cream Sauce + Crumbled Feta - chicken is in a homemade marinade - very good!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  06:26:45 AM  Show Profile
When I grocery shop I am always thankful to be able to buy what I need and a little of what I want.

Today it's vegetable soup perking away on the stove.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  10:15:50 AM  Show Profile
I just made a huge pasta salad to serve on fresh lettuce leaves. We'll cook hot dogs on the porch after we plant our tomatoes and pumpkins. Our pack of seven dogs get to attend---how they do love a party with good food.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  10:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Barbara I'm looking for a new way to do pasta salad. What's your recipe?

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  2:05:22 PM  Show Profile
I just made it up as I went. I cooked a box of rotini. I chopped up pepper, onion, tomato, cucumber and radishes and I shredded a carrot and put in some cheese and bacon bits. Then I mixed sour cream and ranch salad dressing and put vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in. It came out good. My husband tasted it and liked it. I suppose you could put chicken or something in it too. Some evenings I am in such a hurry I cook by the seat of my pants.

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  3:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Barbara,
That's sounds yummy!

TW

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page