hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  5:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Pan Roasted Honey Lime Chicken Thighs, Brown Rice, and Bok Choy. Yummy!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile
What is bok choy? Is it something like cabbage? Always heard of this but never tried it. I've never had eggplant either. Do you know what that is like? Does it taste like summer squash?

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  4:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Boy Choy is in the brassica family... so kind of like cabbage, but different ;) Eggplant takes on whatever flavors you have it in... it is kind of like a sponge. THey can be bitter, so I usually salt it really well after slicing - about 20-30 minutes per side, rinse it, and then use it

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Tonight is Vietnamese Noodle Salad with Grilled Pork Chops

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  09:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! Sorry to be away so long. The damage to our house has been very time consuming, and I have not been able to log on lately. Things are slowing down and calming down. My goal is to get to my farmgirl roots this summer - simplify - cook, bake, read, garden and craft!!!

I see the discussion on bok Choy. I love it! My favorite way is to sautée it with a bit of tofu, garlic, broccoli, and a dash or two of soy and teriyaki. I actually use liquid amino in place of the soy sauce. Very good.

Anyway, I wanted to make something “Tex-mex”, so I threw a casserole together with what was on hand. It was delicious, and I call it “fiesta chicken casserole”, as my family wants it again, lol! I used chicken, tortillas, Ro-tel, and a can of organic cream of mushroom soup. I also put in a bit of Chile powder, garlic, an onion sautéed a bit first,. Similar to king ranch but not the same.

I also made chicken sautéed in wine with capers, kale, and onion. So yummy.

Tonight I think I will make a big salad with grilled chicken, and on the side a bit of cream of broccoli soup. I think I have everything to make it. It is humid and grey but feels like a “soup” night.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  4:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Nicole---so glad you are back and so sorry about your troubles---glad you are safe and well and keepin on. Tonight we are grillin out venison burgers and having cole slaw. You may ask why I would eat deer and allow hunting on my property? I never thought I would but they eat every thing we try to grow---have a huge fence aroung our garden. We never kill deer ourselves---can't stand to. And I do cry when they are killed. But they would inbreed and get sickly. Plus the meat is so healthy with no additives. And the big plus is the man that hunts here brings us a huge amount twice a year. I have learned to love it better than beef---but do I gag and almost throw up every time I have to cook it? YES!!! My husband cooks it often and I slow cooker it a lot. I can hardly stand to cook any kind of meat except a hot dog===LOL. The bad part is that my husband is a meat cutter in a major USA store and I cannot stand to look at meat. Life do get tedious!

Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.===Sherrilyn Kenyon
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  4:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Also---a stupid deer caused me to slide over the hill in my truck and tear it up on my way up out of my holler. If a tree hadn't stopped me I would have rolled to the bottom. Next time I will hit it and eat it for sure. Why am I driving a truck that I can barely reach the clutch---because my tiny car's frame rusted into! As I said life do get tedious and we have to keep changing and moving on---keep on cookin!

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  4:44:46 PM  Show Profile
Do anyone else out there eat venison?

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  5:25:52 PM  Show Profile
My parents always had venison in the freezer. My dad had a ranch in the hill country and when I was growing up, everyone ate venison. I have never been able to get past the “game-y” taste. My mom would make deer chops, and then try to “hide” ground venison in things like lasagna and spaghetti. Just wasn’t my thing.

I heard deer sausage is good but I have never tried it.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  06:37:52 AM  Show Profile
I only like ground venison and tenderized deer steak. I can hardly eat the stew meat and real deer steak---I act like I am eating it and feed it to the dogs when my husband isn't looking. Here in WV the ground venison is mixed with bacon to hold it together and I think it is really good. My husband used to go help a friend at his farm and they would cut up deers and have a big party. I never went as I would have threw up for sure. One evening Miss West Virginia was out there helping as his friends son was dating her. We later watched her in the Miss America pageant and he says ---Oh that's the girl that was helping us with the deers and I about fell over. I thought I would be in awe of her and he just said he barely noticed her. There was also a policeman there drinking beer and then he said he had to go to work---probably to catch people for DUI while he is DUI. Also they would cook the deer and eat it while cutting them up---my husband said---no thank you to that. This is just another wild wonderful WV story.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, too funny!

Its hot and humid. Tonight we are having veggie and mozzarella sandwiches with peppers on chiabatta and on the side homemade egg and potato salad. We will eat by the glamper. For dessert, organic frozen fudge bars!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  6:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Barbara
Canning deer meat takes away the gamey taste. I learned from a friend. Pack raw stew meat in jars. Add a t of salt per quart and pressure can for 90 min 10 lbs pressure. It creates its own juice (but looks ugly, don't be scared). The meat is so good and fork tender, and really takes away the gamey taste. Works so good in stews, shepherds pie, soups etc. Ran out this year, looking forward to some more.
Love your Miss WV story. LOL
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  04:29:39 AM  Show Profile
Last night was simple but oh so good: baked chicken with green peas and homemade Mac and cheese. YUM!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2018 :  06:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Last night I made brown sugar topped meatloaf with fresh oregano, boiled baby potatoes with herbs, homemade and homegrown pesto on fresh bread, and kale from the garden sautéed in olive oil with pink salt, carrot coins, onion and cranberries. YUMMY!!!

What’s on your table tonight?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2018 :  06:58:47 AM  Show Profile
My sister just called and she is bringing something for brunch to be enjoyed on sideporch. Have no idea what it will be but delivery and a visit with her will be the high-lite of my day. Sisters are the best.

Rest of the day I will be nibbling which is one of my favorite things.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2018 :  07:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Nicole you were posting when I was writing my post. It all sounds delish especially the baby potatoes with herbs.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2018 :  07:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara!

You’ll have to tell us what your surprise brunch is! I can just imagine sitting on your porch having iced tea and something delicious!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2018 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, it'll be fast food. She's coming into town to run errands and get chicken feed. She lives 30 miles east of me on a 100 acre farm with 70* chickens and one mule named Judy.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2018 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Girls---my cooking skills have went out the window. I am so busy that salads and pasta salads are ruling as well as hot dogs and burgers, Sara---if you had my sister you would run and hide---happy for you that you have good family. LOL And in case you all think I am a nut with all my animals---they are all rescues. Thanks for the tip about canning deer meat---my husband has always wanted to do that and I can help him if I don't have to touch the meat. My mom canned deer meat and it was good---But since I am helping to feed a fawn I can't bear to think of it. I kissed the fawn on the lips yesterday---now you know my love of animals and the guilt I feel when I eat chicken and then pet the chickens at night when I close them. LOL and yes I know I am weird.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  06:08:38 AM  Show Profile
It was soooo hot and humid yesterday that dinner was turkey sandwiches (organic turkey deli meat, home grown lettuce, mayo) and then a BIG BOWL OF ICE CREAM!!!!

Having friends for July 4th tomorrow. Need to bake a cherry pie...dreading turning on the oven!

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  08:46:01 AM  Show Profile
Burgers and potato salad nd chips---I think. Too hot to think about food---we have been cooking outside on the 1920's gas range. So fun. a be just flew on me and I caught him and put him or her outside---I do love bees but not in the house. What vittles is at your house. Grits and jowels as they say on the Beverly Hillbillies. LOL. Never had jowels---but I does like grits.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  10:41:00 AM  Show Profile
Just got in from grocery shopping so it's a peanut butter on French bread and a glass of Merlot. Don't knock it to you try it.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2018 :  11:49:16 AM  Show Profile
That would go well with a big dill pickle too. I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  08:03:32 AM  Show Profile
Sara, Love your dinner, especially with Barbara’s suggestion of a dill pickle with it! YUM!

Yesterday we took a road trip, so dinner was pizza at the “real” Mystic Pizza”, where the movie was filmed, in Mystic, CT.

I got home to a surprise cookbook in the mail (insert Snoopy Happy dance here). I am making “Hill Country Goulash” in my crock pot in the camper tonight, from the Texas slow cooker cookbook. It is hot here, so I will make a big green salad to go with it before all my lettuce bolts and gets nasty.

Thank you, my sweet farmgirl friend, for thinking of me! I love the book!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  05:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Tonight is pork chops with new red potatoes cooked in the slow cooker, fresh mustard greens, kidney beans and corn bread. The dogs will be in hog heaven as they love corn bread.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page