YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judith, I'll have to give it a try.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Judith, that sounds delish! I love a good casserole. Casseroles have always been a favorite of mine. Love to try new ones.

We have had corned beef several times now. I am done with that. We had the last part of it for lunch - hubs threw it on the grill and it was delicious! Making green pea soup tonight. It is cold here today after a snap of warm. We even woke up to a dusting of snow. Last of the season I think.

Everyone is cooking more now. We are all home as schools and work are closed. I love to cook so it is my norm, lol! What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  6:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Nicole,, I luv Pea soup,, especially with a shot of sherry mixed, and a dollop of sour cream on top...
Oh Yum!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  6:44:01 PM  Show Profile
I made chicken white bean chili from a bit of leftover chicken, canned turkey broth, canned white beans, and canned tomatoes. Plus plenty of spice!
Also added a bit of gluten free rice pasta that was lurking in the pantry.
Going into homesteading mode. LOL.
BTW, it was delicious.
Judith, you brought back memories. We used to eat canned tamales, and it was always a treat! Not very often, but when we did I was so delighted; I used to love peeling off the paper that separated each one.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  8:51:17 PM  Show Profile
White bean chili sounds yummy. My favorite chili is made with ground turkey. Another favorite when my kids were little was hamburger, canned tomatoes, canned corn, canned beans, cans of olives and tomato sauce, simmered in the fry pan and thickened with cornmeal. They named it slop. It was kind of like a tamale pie.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Been awhile since I have been on here. Today it's 4 bean soup with bacon and fire roasted tomatoes. I'm using 4 pints of my canned dried beans - Christmas Lima; navy beans; Lila; and Capella. May make cornbread and then I may not.

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  05:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara! I didn’t know if anyone would want to do this post with all going on, but perhaps now more than ever it is useful. I have been in farmgirl Heaven, cooking three meals a day for my family. We realize now how much money we have been spending on non-healthy, non-organic take out and lunches!

Meals are more of what is in the freezer, pantry, etc. Have been making delicious dinners! Recent faves have been a new recipe for real Italian Bolognese sauce over pasta. I have a friend from Italy who published an Italian cookbook. Oh my that sauce! Also have been making Chicken Fried Rice in the Instant pot, since it DD’s favorite. Fajitas, a pot roast with air fried potatoes, fresh steamed asparagus...eggs a million ways, lol.

What’s on your table these days???

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2020 :  09:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I cooked four lamb chops with red curry sauce and jasmine rice. So good. Shared two with my sister who lives a mile from me. I left it on my side porch for her to pickup. She works at a farm & ranch store so she's keeping her distance from me.

Today I am nibbling. Tomorrow I think I'll make a spring soup using homemade broth for the base. Either a green salad or 1/2 a sandwich to go with it.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2020 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Easter here in the holler is good. Since I have no close friends I am not noticing social distancing much at all---the new norm has been my norm in the holler for over twenty years and yes---being alone does make you a bit weird---I don't like to talk to people anymore. Will this pandemic make us all crazy---LOL< I hope not. Anyway ----the turkey is slow cooking in the oven. We gathered ramps yesterday and will cook them with bacon and potatoes. deviled eggs and beets. And some freezer burned green beans and home made bread will complete our meal. Also homemade chocolate cake and jello with fruit cocktail. Cherry jello I might add. Our faT pug is grinning ear to ear smelling the turkey. God is great and God is good. Bless your Easter meal dear ladies. Keep on Keepin on.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2020 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I think we've been eating better during this too. Maybe its because we have the time to cook as we're not going anywhere and have no outside obligations -- no appointments, meetings, sports events, etc. Time is standing still, or so it seems. Cooking is a creative activity we can do while staying home. We feeding our bodies and spirits.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  2:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Barbara I loved reading your post and your turkey in the oven made my mouth water!

For Easter, I made a ham, as DH was able to find one when he went out for supplies at the store. I made mashed potatoes, and took frozen peas and added fresh carrots and frozen pearl onions to them. I made deviled eggs. I also made MaryJane’s Bakeover Biscuit recipe, adding fresh garlic scapes and chives that are poking up through the ground in the garden. For dessert, DD and I had made “forgotten” cookies.

Last night, DH made danish goulash over mashed potatoes with a side of red pickled cabbage.

Tonight, it is back to Chicken Fried Rice in the instant pot. My dh is a bit tired of it, lol. This past week, we also made grilled chicken sandwiches with fries, and hamburgers with a side of pasta salad.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  05:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Made some recipes from MaryJane’s Cast Iron Cookbook. Love them all, it’s one of my favorites. We had a chicken pot pie this week, made from tidbits of things leftover. It was delicious! Also made an apple pie this week. What.a treat that was! Made the Italian bolognese again, and a pot of veggie soup. Last night was hamburgers on the grill with brioche buns, and for dessert, peaches (canned) with fresh whipped cream. What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  11:31:01 AM  Show Profile
Tonight is Speggetti meat sauce and languini pasta.. and fresh made bread... which is in the bread machine right now! , over cast,, and rain due in.. so it's a perfect day for a hardy/hearty meal..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  7:46:02 PM  Show Profile
Lentil soup tonight. Reminds me of our trip to Turkey where my father ate lentil soup very chance he got. It was always the cheapest thing on the menu.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2020 :  8:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow -- looks like no one has eaten dinner in the last 6 days. Y'all on a diet or something? :-)
Big pot of chili here with a pan of cornbread. I don't put sugar in cornbread but DH made it tonight and he always puts sugar in. I thought that was a regional thing but we were both born in Northern California.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  06:53:31 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I love lentil soup!

I have chili on the menu for tonight. I'll have to find my cornbread recipe. Love it with chili!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  07:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Lol, Judith. I love lentil soup too but it doesnt like me! :(
I'm making sweet and sour chicken and jasmine rice for my gang tonight!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  11:43:27 AM  Show Profile
For lunch today I made a wrap. Chunks of chicken dried cranberries pecans celery and salad dressing. Pretty good!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2020 :  11:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Michelle your wrap sounds yummy. For lunch I had leftover potato and asparagus soup. Tasty but I don't enjoy leftovers like I used to.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2020 :  7:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Chili relleno casserole tonight with a giant yam and corn tortillas.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 02 2020 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies---I always read these dinner posts and love to know what you are cooking. I made a killer pizza of sorts the other night that will probably make you girls gag for sure---but it was so good. We put taco seasoning in ground beef and added kidney beans. We put that on the dough and then corn and black olives and mushrooms---we threw on some broccoli and then we loaded it with raw ramps and cheddar cheese---so good to us. Repulsive to you girls? Me and hubby both grew up on cornbread and beans and have hillbilly appetites---LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - May 02 2020 :  12:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, sounds good to me. Pizza can have many toppings. (as you have demonstrated LOL) I wish we had ramps here. We really should, but I can't find any.
Tonight is ribs in an spicy applesauce marinade, and chunky roasted potato salad. And beer. It's Derby Day! Virtual Derby??? My hubs is an aficionado, and wonders how anyone can beat Secretariat when he won by so much on the same track and his record still stands.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - May 02 2020 :  1:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Pizza is like soup and casseroles -- you can make it out of just about anything.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  8:08:58 PM  Show Profile
I have had such a craving for cabbage steaks. So I made S&B bbq chicken (hubby's favorite) mash potatos and gravy and the cabbage steaks baked with a sauce of melted butter, garlic paste, olive oil, smoked paprika and pepper. Baked it for 25 minutes then topped with parmesan cheese and baked for 10min. more. It was amazing!

TW

When life gives you more than you can stand.....kneel !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  9:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Nancy -- what are cabbage steaks? That's something I haven't heard of.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page