1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  9:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Jambalaya, of course!!
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  5:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Here's something easy for those nights you're in a hurry. We had this last night & it's so refreshing on our hot summery nights down here in Oz:-

Thai-Style Chicken Skewers with Pickled Cucumber Salad

600g Chicken thigh fillets, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 spring onions, coarsely chopped
1 cup coarsely chopped coriander (you guys call it cilantro)
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
2 large Lebanese cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
1/4 cup peanuts, toasted, coarsely chopped

Place the chicken, curry paste, fish sauce, spring onion and 3/4 of the coriander in a food processor. Season. Process until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Divide into 12 portions and shape each portion around a metal or soaked bamboo skewer. Place on a plate in the fridge for 10 mins to chill.
Meanwhile, place carrot, cucumber and remaining coriander in a large bowl. Stir the vinegar and sugar in a small jug until the sugar dissolves. Drizzle over the cucumber mixture and gently toss to combine. Set aside for 10 mins to develop the flavours.
Oil or butter large frying pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the skewers, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Cover to keep warm.
Drain cucumber mixture. Arrange on a large serving platter with the skewers, sweet chilli sauce and peanuts.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  5:56:40 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, that sounds so good! I will keep that recipe!

I have been making a lot of good sourdough bread, and a few nights we have had just sandwiches on that yummy sourdough! I also recently made lasagna, for my husband who loves it, danish meatballs with pickled cucumber salad, and an old 90’s recipe I forgot about that is just scrumptious: Chicken Cacciatore. I also made a big pot of dried beans with sausage. Tonight was light - just some yummy potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and beets in the oven, roasted.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2021 :  10:03:25 AM  Show Profile
Made a easy does it rice dish with portabella mushrooms, broccoli, shaved beef, and Asian orange sauce. The rice was the 90 second kind and left over cooked shaved beef in the freezer. All I had to saute was the mushrooms and broccoli. Broccoli I cooked to tender in the micro-wave first. Gotta say it was standing at the stove eating out of the skillet good.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2021 :  2:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Pumpkin chili with homemade apple pie for my hubby.

Cindy: Oh my, does that sound divine!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Slow cooked pot roast with roasted potatoes, onions and carrots, and a nice spinach salad! Hubby's having a slice of almond cake for dessert - my favorite, but I'm trying to be good! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  12:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Almond Cake sounds good Nini! The Pot Roast and veggies do too of course. I love Almond anything :)

Tonight is Lasagna. I am going to experiment and use Basil Pesto in one of the layers and the other layers will be my Meat Sauce. I have so much Pesto in our freezer from harvesting Basil from our garden last year, time to use it up :)

We will also have a tossed salad with the Lasagna :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  08:11:53 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Nini, that almond cake sounds so good. Funny, I think the other day was “pot roast day”. We were having it, my mom was having it, my friend Susan called as she was making one, and you had one!

Sharon, that lasagna sounds delish! How did the basil pesto turn out? I still have some I made last season in the freezer.

Tonight is St. Patty’s, so I am making corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and MJ’s soda bread recipe. I need a green dessert...maybe a mint ice cream parfait or something. I am not sure yet. DD is allergic to beef so I am also making my homemade air fryer chicken tenderloin fingers. Homemade honey mustard sauce.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Last night’s dinner was delicious! Wow I had dishes to wash - I had the stovetop, oven, air fryer AND Instapot going. Tonight I think i will make a stew of some sort. Or bolognese.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Dishes are my life, Nicole. I totally get it. What I hate most is the big huge pots. I have a really deep farm-type sink, but it's like doing calisthenics trying to maneuver the big pots around and trying to scrub deep inside and rinse without getting water everywhere. Ugh. Thank GOD for CJ's aprons!!! But still, SO grateful to have that sink and those pots, you know? I just tell myself lots of pots is a sign of a well-fed, happy family. I say whatever gets me through! LOL!

You girls have to teach me about pesto. I've never been big on it, but that's only probably because I haven't a clue what to do with it! LOL! My cousin makes it every year and freezes it in ice cube trays. She has given me some, but I'm ashamed to say, it's still in the freezer! Yikes!!!

Tonight we're having grilled raspberry chicken and sweet potato fries on top of BIG bowls of salads with spinach, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, multicolored peppers, fresh mandarin oranges, sliced strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, pecans, feta with raspberry dressing. My husband used to always say he felt so healthy after I made them for him! I could eat one every day for the rest of my life!!! LOL! SO good! And if it's warm enough, we might even enjoy them al fresco! Seriously!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 23 2021 08:13:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Nini! That salad sounds fantastic!! I think I am making butternut squash risotto tonight. I have an easy recipe for the instapot. Finally some nice weather here in PA. Time to clean up the grill!!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2021 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile
Nini, that sounds amazing! I use the pesto in my lasagna (now), I baked/roasted some shrimp in it a couple of weeks ago and that was really good. As a dip for pita chips, instead of pizza sauce. Tossed with lightly steamed broccoli, red & yellow bell peppers and tortellini for a salad...lots more I'm sure :) I bet even adding it to soup would be fantastic.

Nicole, the pesto has officially made itself at home in my lasagna recipe :) Michael deemed it a Keeper and it definitely is. It just took it to a whole new level :)

Tonight is:

~Glazed Chicken Breasts. I have a jar of Apple Blossom Jelly left from a couple of years ago. To that I will add garlic, paprika, s&p, maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar. I will have to taste as I go :)
~Oven Roasted Asparagus
~Cous Cous with currants

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 27 2021 1:59:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  09:12:23 AM  Show Profile
I made the quick quiche from the recipe included with MaryJane's Budget Mix. I made it with sausage. For the vegetables I added onion, asparagus and some grape tomatoes cut in half. Boy was it good! Next time I will add more tomatoes. I didn't add too many because the recipe says 1 cup of veggies and I was already over that.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Hellman's Mayo Baked Chicken. Mix half cup of Mayo and 1/4 Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup Italian Breadcrumbs or Sprinkle Italian seasoning or Ranch. You can mix anything you like in the Mayo, just spread it on top of the Chicken. Bake 425 about 25 minutes or until done. It's fast and Easy!

Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 26 2021 :  07:58:10 AM  Show Profile
Last night I made an old fashion meatloaf and made some gravy from the pan drippings . it was so good after not having it for a long time. I had to downsize the old recipe and this time it turned out better that attempts in the past. Meatloaf was a staple of our family when I was growing up.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, sounds wonderful! I love meatloaf !
Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  9:08:03 PM  Show Profile
Tonight I baked boneless chicken breasts rolled up with provolone, pepperoni and sauteed spinach with garlic and sea salt... And a huge salad with fresh garden lettuce, sliced strawberries, red onion, cucumber, feta, walnuts and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Oh my gosh. SO good!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  12:20:20 PM  Show Profile
I canned ground bison this morning and one jar didn't seal so I made prairie pie. That's what I'm calling it. Shepherd's pie is made with lamb and cottage pie with beef, so I figured since bison free range on the open prairie calling it prairie pie made perfect sense to me. It turned out as good as the other pies I've made, so prairie pie is a recipe to keep.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  5:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I skipped lunch coz I had a late breakfast of eggs and bacon. So tonight was tomatoe samitches.....yum yum.

Have a great night.
Hugs.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  6:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Tonight was my hubby's birthday.. We splurged and had grilled delmonico steaks, un-pasta pasta salad, homemade sugar free strawberry shakes and he had almond birthday cake for dessert. I think I might not be eating the rest of the week... or the month... or until SOMETIME later this year... MAYBE. Lol.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  7:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Nini -- what is un-pasta salad? I have been off pasta for a while now (diabetic) and sometimes miss it. The rest of that meal sounds good, too. We're having chicken and kasha tonight and sugar free rootbeer floats.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  9:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judith!

It's basically pasta salad but without the pasta. I put in all the good stuff...but we are doing keto, so the carbs are out!

Ready? Ok... Here's what goes in:

Un-Pasta Pasta Salad

1/2 red onion, diced

2 c tomatoes, diced (I use regular tomatoes, cherry or grape - whatever we have on hand. I do slice cherry or grape tomatoes in half, though)

A whole cucumber, peeled and sliced

1/2 red pepper, diced

1/2 green pepper, diced

A small can of sliced black olives, drained

A jar of marinated artichokes, drained

A package of sliced pepperoni, chopped

A roll of fresh mozzarella, cubed small

One half of a jar of sliced dill pickles, drained

About 2 tblsps reserved dill pickle juice

One half of a jar of mild banana peppers, drained

About 2 tblsps reserved banana pepper juice

About 1 c your favorite Italian dressing (I either make my own or use Wish Bone Simply Artisan Blend Italian, which I can only find at Costco.)

Put everything in a big bowl. Toss well. Refrigerate to chill and marinate. Great as a side dish and also a hearty main. Yum.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  12:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Nini -- Thank you! Sounds yummy for a hot summer evening.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2021 :  10:49:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Judith! :) I hope you get to try it! Enjoy!

Girls - a friend of mine suggested I try making Mississippi chicken the other day. She absolutely RAVES about it, so I tried it. I did something terribly wrong. It was very salty and tasted like... well...what I imagine feet would taste like! LOL! I don't know what I did! Even my hubby, who eats ANYTHING turned his nose up at it! The only thing I did different than the recipe was switch out the pepperoncinis for sliced banana peppers, because that was what I had on hand. I just can't believe THAT would make such a difference in a recipe! Yeesh! But I am willing to give it another try... Do any of you have a good recipe for Mississippi chicken? I realize it's a pretty easy and strightforward recipe, but I destroyed it! LOL. SO bad. It was SO, SO bad! LOL!

Thanks!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 17 2021 10:50:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile
It's baked teriyaki salmon, roasted cauliflower and a big salad with fresh garden greens, strawberries, cucumber, red onion, walnuts and feta tonight, girls!

What's on your menu?

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 18 2021 10:41:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page