StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  8:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Fried chicken, Greek salad, and our first watermelon of the season. It was 108 today so I feel we deserve a watermelon.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2021 :  10:43:51 PM  Show Profile
And ice cream, Judith! You definitely deserve ice cream! Good Lord, that is hot! How are you faring? I will pray for you!!!

I hope - and bet - your watermelon was awesome!!!

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  05:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls! I have not been here since April, but I am so happy to see the thread is still going. Life has been so crazy, but now it is slowed way down for summer, thankfully!

I am planning on getting my full-force farmgirl self back! Dinners have been all homemade, of course. ;)

Tonight I am making a homemade garden pizza with broccoli, carrots, and a zippy sauce instead of red sauce. What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  10:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Last night I made a "Chocolate Molasses Pork Roast" (as part of my Carpe Cocoa: Seize the Chocolate! intermediate merit badge). I was really happy with how it turned out, so I thought I would share the recipe.

Chocolate Molasses Pork Roast

Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup beef broth, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 1/4 cup molasses, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground mustard.
Cut 1 boneless pork loin roast (4 to 5lbs) in half; place in a slow cooker. Pour the sauce over. Cover & cook for 6-8 hours on low.
When cooked, remove roast. Bring sauce to boil. In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp cornflour and 3 tbsp water - gradually add to the sauce to thicken. Serve with sliced pork roast.

I served this with bastami rice and steamed greens. Yum!!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  3:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Home made pizza sounds like a winner.
Chocolate molasses pot roast sounds like it would taste good but it's a diabetic nightmare.
We had bbq ribs last night; venison steaks baked in tomato sauce/vinegar with celery tonight. Sounds strange but the vinegar really tenderizes the meat and removes and gamey taste but we've been eating venison for so long we don't notice it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2021 :  10:04:21 AM  Show Profile
Made a small pot of tomatoes and okra with the okra I harvested this morning. It was my first picking so I picked everything off. The okra ranged from 1 1/2" to little fingernail size. My sister who has grown okra for years told me to pick it all off no matter the size the first time to increase production. She throws away all the teeny ones put I cooked them.

Cooked the okra with canned stewed tomatoes, tomatoes with chilies, and seasoned with Creole seasoning, gumbo file (ground sassafras leaves) and a splash of apple cider vinegar. Served over brown rice and it was so good. First time for me to use Creole and Cajun seasoning.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2021 :  2:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- You are making my mouth water! I used to cook up a pot of stewed tomatoes, okra, onion, and bell pepper. No one in the family liked okra except my son and I so we got to eat the whole pot. I prefer the little tender okra. My girls disliked it so much that they would call each other "mean okra" when they were mad at each other.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2021 :  2:24:10 PM  Show Profile
We had never eaten Okra until we moved to Oklahoma in 1965. The neighbors introduced us to that delicious veggie. There I was taught how to prepare fried okra, which was always served with fresh-caught panfish and bean soup and fresh green onions.
Okra is also used to thicken a pot of chili.
For Cajan spice I use "Slap ya MaMa" and we love that on many things. I found that advertised in a "Southern Cooking Mag" and it really makes your food yummy.
Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Sister#4076
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2021 :  03:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Judith and Kathy it's good to know there are others who like okra and tomatoes too. Gotta see if I can find "Slap ya MaMa" Cajun spice. Love the name - makes me giggle.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2021 :  08:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Sara just a heads up,
My son found it for me in a Sports Store. Up here the grocery stores don't carry it. But Neal lives in Ft Worth and is a hiker so he visits those shops often. It contains salt, red peppers, black pepper, and garlic. It is made in Louisiana and is certified Cajun. This is likely more than than you wanted to know....but.
Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Sister#4076
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2021 :  09:40:59 AM  Show Profile
Goodness, Cindy! That sounds awesome! I never think to use chocolate in anything other than baking and chili... I'm going to have to try that! Thank you for sharing!

Judith - Ribs! Venison! YUM!!!

Honest to Pete, girls - I have never had okra! I wouldn't even know what to do with it! I don't think I've ever seen it here in the stores or at the farms, either! Hopefully some day we can try it! Sounds YUM!

I have no idea what we're having for dinner tonight. Last night I made a big meatzza so we could have some in the freezer....it's just THAT good. Tonight I'm thinking of going light - some sort of salad with meat and cheese, or maybe just an all veggie fare. Just feeling a bit uninspired. Still full from my meatzza last night I guess! LOL!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2021 :  06:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Okra was a big thing in my home growing up, but I don’t like it when it is boiled. However, I can’t stop eating it when it is pickled or fried though! YUM! However, it does not grow well in my zone. :(

Last night was “pickings”. We had so much food the day before. I ended up tired and eating a half of an everything bagel with fresh vegetable cream cheese from our local bagel store. Hubs buys fresh bagels, hot from the oven, every once in a while.

The night before, we had special company: the lady who was my daughter’s Girl Scout Gold Award Mentor. I made a huge, fresh salad with greens, herbs andpeas from the garden, and my chicken in wine sauce with pasta and artichoke hearts. For dessert, homemade blueberry lemon bread, which is not too sweet so it is a perfect summer treat. Also good for breakfast! Tonight I am making a Thai recipe - chicken and snow peas in cocunut curry sauce.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2021 :  05:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Last night I made a pork roast with fresh rosemary and garlic in the air fryer because it is too darn hot to turn the oven on. We had a side of green beans, broccoli, and leeks in an olive oil sauce and baked beans. The night before was a yummy treat:: I bought gyro meat from Costco. I don’t normally buy stuff like that, but made it with onions and homemade tzatziki sauce. The sauce was soooo good. Also made a greek salad.

With this intense heat, tonight might just be cold cereal. What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2021 :  06:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, what is tzatziki sauce?

We're grilling at my sister's today. Steak, hamburgers, pasta salad, and iced tea. The ranch store she worked for sent all employees who worked through the pandemic a box of steaks and beef patties.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2021 :  06:35:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara,

It is actually Greek in origin. I love to make it in the summer and use as a dip for fresh veggies like snow peas and carrots, or for crackers. I also use it as a salad dressing. It has a yogurt base, so my daughter sadly can not eat it anymore (she loved it when she could). I take 8 oz. of greek organic yogurt, one peeled cucumber, two cloves of garlic, juice of one whole lemon, and either fresh dill (several sprigs) or about 1 tsp of dried (I like it heavy on the dill. You can use less, if you prefer). Salt to taste, about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Blend in a blender of food processor. Great on pita sandiwiches with oregano-lemon grilled chicken and greens or with gyro meat, which was how it was originally used.

Enjoy your grilling! Sounds like a wonderful day ahead for you! Xoxo

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2021 :  07:56:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole, I'll order the fixings for it and make it up this week.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2021 :  08:56:45 AM  Show Profile
We love gyros and tzatziki, especially Danny! I make vegetarian ones for me. Got real fond of them while in Germany. We woukd go 2 times a week to our favorite Greek restaurant!! Perfect dinner for summer weather too!

We've been eating a lot of cucumber salad, corn on the cob and Dr's grilled ribs.
Just too darned hot for much of anything really!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2021 :  8:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Keeping it simple tonight. Chili relleno casserole, tortillas, and parsnips. Fresh apricots for dessert.
We love tzatziki, especially on falafel, and I have all the fixins. Maybe tomorrow night.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  4:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Sara, did you try making the tzatiki sauce? How did you like it? It is so refreshing!

It has been hot here and I had my kitchen floor repaired (old tiles replaced where a few were cracked, a few places regrouted), so my kitchen was closed for a few days. Felt like cooking something different today so tonight was stuffed green peppers. It is my daddy’s recipe from when I was a child. He made it up and it was so good, it became a staple!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  8:25:06 PM  Show Profile
I love stuffed peppers. I don't think I've made the same recipe twice. I just use what's around and it always comes out good. I need to count the dimples on the bottom of the peppers now that I've learned 4 dimple peppers are better for stuffing :-)

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  06:10:16 AM  Show Profile
I made the best dinner last night - all new recipes. We love Asian food, but we can’t eat it out anymore because of the sodium and the additives they use like MSG.

Last night, I made my favorite Asian dish when eating out, but at home: Coconut Yellow Curry Chicken. I used fresh chicken, carrots, scallions, peppers, and lots of fresh sugar snap peas from the garden, simmered in a golden curry sauce served over jasmine rice. It was scrumptious! For dessert, I tried a new recipe on a whim and loved it: “Seven Ingredient Lemon Blender Pie”. I found the recipe by accident on Pinterest, and thought, “Why not?” It was fabulous!!!

I did a lot of cooking over the weekend for dd’s birthday - chicken smothered in bbq sauce, homemade potato salad, and a birthday cake. My kitchen is my happy place, for sure.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2021 :  11:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Last night we grilled chicken using a new rub blend, “Bone Sucking Sauce Rub”. It was delicious! I made a kale slaw on the side and roasted potatoes.

Tonight we are grilling these yummy organic chicken and asiago sausages we found, and on the side, a broccoli salad recipe I got from a farmgirl friend about ten years ago. So delish! For dessert, hubs has requested a berry cobbler from the fresh berries we have picked. They are mostly wineberries (a wild raspberry type) with blueberries and blackberries. I use my great-grandma’s cobbler recipe, served with ice cream on top.

What’s on your table?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  11:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Corkscrews with creamy zucchini sauce. Corkscrew pasta, zucchini, butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, salt, and nutmeg. This time I added some onion, garlic and used asiago cheese instead since that's what I had.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2021 :  10:12:29 AM  Show Profile
It's been a couple of months since I last visited "What's for dinner tonight?". It's cooler today so I'm using my oven to make ground pork stuffed poblano peppers with brown rice.

Hugs, Sara
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2021 :  11:23:15 AM  Show Profile
With cooler weather here my cooking cravings are kicking in. Today I crave making wholewheat bread and lentil soup.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 106 Farm Kitchen:  What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page