Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The "Queen" . .02/01/13 . . final "goodbye"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The "Queen" . .02/01/13 . . final "goodbye" Next Topic
Page: of 7

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13584 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13584 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
02/01/12: Two months ago, Skye walked out of our house and disappeared. Today, I'm saying my "Final Goodbye" to my sweet, fuzzy friend.

"Skye, you lived with us for almost SEVENTEEN years, bringing sweet affection and joy. What a kitty companion you have been and it's really hard to think about not ever seeing you again, but I think that's reality. You were a gift from God, He created you and blessed us with your presence. Goodbye, my sweet friend, you will continue to be missed!
With much love from CJ and the family!"

This is the last photo I took of Skye in November, laying in front of our pellet stove, sunning herself. Because she is a tortoiseshell calico we called her our "plaid cat", referring to the Scottish tartans. We are of Scottish descent and have had the privilege of visiting the Isle of Skye. Just thought the name fit her!

Thanks for letting me share my sweet friend with you!
CJ

January 1, 2013: It is has been ONE MONTH since my Skye went missing. I thank ALL of you for your encouragements and prayers, love and support. I have not given up all hope, but the reality is that Skye probably will not come home.

I won't be posting anything further here UNLESS the miracle does, indeed, take place and she does return. If that happens I will be shouting it from my rooftop and rejoicing.
Again thank you . . . and I'm looking forward to the new year!
God Bless You All1
CJ

12/30/12: THIRTY DAYS . . . no Skye! Hope is dimmer and slimmer! Pictures bring tears! Trying to start letting go!

12/24/12: No Christmas miracle yet!

12/20/12: No Skye! My sewing center is in one end of the utility room and Skye's basket is on top of the chest freezer in the same room. It's still there! Today while I was sewing, I just started crying, missing her so . . .

- - - - - - - - - - -
12/18/12: Here's the concern . . . there are a lot of valid suggestions that Skye has just found somewhere else to get food, found another family, etc. These things are possible and it is possible that she could return and I'm praying she does. We have had cats that have done that, mostly tom cats, but one female many years ago.

However, we have had Skye for 17 years and this is ONLY the SECOND time she has disappeared in these 17 years. The first time was just this past May. She did come back home then but based on her condition of being skinny and very, very dirty, we believe that she was trapped somewhere and it took everything she had to get out and back home . . . and it wasn't winter weather. We live in the country with all kinds of possibilities for her . . a curious cat . . to go snooping around and then find herself trapped and in trouble. And there are a lot of predators around . . I hear coyotes howling EVERY evening in more than one direction from our house. Mountain lions have also been seen on our property . . bears too, but I'm assuming they are hibernating now.

So, we base our concern on her typical behavior for the past 17 years, knowing that things could have changed and she could still show up. There is always hope!
Thanks for your prayers and concerns . . . hoping she shows her furry face again soon!
CJ

12/17/12: Well, it's been 17 days now since my Skye disappeared. I'm not giving up hope however I did put her litter box away and packaged up her food in plastic bags and put it away so it won't possibly attract mice . . . for now.

However, I have NOT put her basket or her little nap afghan away . . not yet.

It's winter, we have almost 10 inches of snow. We have not seen or heard any sign of her, nor have any of the neighbors.
CJ

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

12/15/12 . . . STILL no Skye!

12/03/12: Well, my SKYE has done it again! Saturday morning she went outside for the day. My hubby and I went to a Christmas Bazaar where we had a vendor booth . . . we were gone ONLY FOR THE DAY!!! She normally would have been waiting on the deck when we got home.

We have not seen her since 7:30 AM on Saturday . . .. Once again, we've walked around, looking everywhere, called the neighbors, looked here and looked there.

Dang it!!!!
Your prayers would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
CJ

07/13/12: Because several of you have asked and commented, just to let you know that Skye is doing very, very well, after her adventure. She seems to be back to her normal kitty cat self and we are GRATEFUL for that.
Took this pic yesterday (Thursday)she is asleep on her little afghan on the couch with a corner of it pulled up over her head . . funny cat!
Thanks all for asking and caring!
CJ . . and SKYE

06/03/12: Skye is doing very well and getting back to normal, eating well and being her same sweet self. Decided today to try to give her as much of a bath as I could. Put a bath towel on the counter to put her on, with a bowl of water with gentle body wash in it and just used a wet wash cloth to try to scrub some of the really "ground in" grub away. She actually did pretty well with it except she does NOT want you messing with her feet. I made quick work of it and dried/fluffed her with the towel and by that time she'd had enough. Put her down on the floor, she looked at me and gave me her sweet little soft "meow" . . I think that was kinda of a "thank you" in spite of it all!!!
She looks better and her fur is less "grotty" feeling!
CJ

05/28/12 UPDATE: YES!! Skye made her way back home and I'm thanking the Lord for answered prayers!
I was at work but my hubby told me she showed up around 3:30 or so, VERY, VERY grubby. He had her "meow" on the phone for me. Her little white socks were just red from the red dirt. She was dirty all over!

I got home just after 6 and she has been following me around ever since. Bill cleaned her up some, and I cleaned her up some and she still is a bit grubby but she's tired of being cleaned up!
She is not a big cat anyway, but she is thinner than she was and not as chatty as she typically is, I'm guessing because she's plum tuckered out!

Other than being grubby and a bit thin she is in great shape. Tired, hungry and very glad to be home! This is one tough kitty . . on a journey that took some survival skills!! If she could only talk "people" and tell us where the heck she's been and what she did and how she made it home! We will be celebrating her 17th birthday!!

I told her she had me soooooooooooooo worried and sad and that she just couldn't do that again. I've petted . . petted . . . petted and loved on her and she is purring like a well-oiled engine.
Just took this pic of her on my lap . . she closes her eyes like that when she's content!
Thank you, girls for your prayers, kind and loving thoughts!
CJ

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Yes, she is the "Queen of Everything", my cat named "SKYE".
She has not been seen for a week!
She has graced our home for 16 years! We got her from the shelter when she was about 10 months old . . that was in the spring of 1996 . . she is about 17 years old. But healthy, active, and in excellent "shape".

She is very much a homebody cat, indoor and outdoor but always around and NEVER gone for more than part of a day. She is a sweet, affectionate, cuddly, very sociable "people" cat. Not very big but could wrangle down gophers, birds, squirrels, chipmunks and baby bunnies.

I've searched the property, the roadside, queried the neighbors . . . I fear something unhappy has happened to her

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 01 2013 5:41:20 PM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear this. I know you will miss her.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6473 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6473 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  4:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ, I can not believe Skye is missing, she is such a beautiful cat. I fell in love with her while I was at your house.
I pray she comes home soon and she is still out visiting.
Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  4:31:47 PM  Show Profile
CJ she is beautiful. I pray that she comes home asap. Do you have a shelter near by that someone could have taken her to?

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  5:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Check sheds, garages, autos, boats and any where else she could have been shut in by accident, at your house and your neighbors...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  6:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I hope she finds her way home soon.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13584 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13584 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  7:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you girls!
We have pretty much taken and shaken this entire county upside down.
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on May 27 2012 06:24:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  9:24:53 PM  Show Profile
cJ: I am praying for your sweet cat to be found soon. Please, keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  05:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Cj, I hope and pray for a good outcome! Hugs, linda
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  05:20:10 AM  Show Profile
I am so sad to hear about your lovely kitty. I pray all will be well. What an awful thing to have happen.

Hugs,

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  06:51:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh CJ,
I am so sorry to hear that Skye is missing! I will pray that everything is okay with her, and that perhaps she just took an extended vacation.
Please keep us posted.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  06:59:03 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay,
I am so sorry you are suffering the loss of your loved one. Country cats have to be pretty wily to last that long. Obviously, she was one smart cookie. We had to put down our wonderful outdoor cat last fall. There were a few times that we lost her for a day or so and I know that feeling. If something bad had happened, we hoped to not find the remains of a brutal end, but you have to search, as I know you have. I always hoped that if she met a bad end that we just would never know for sure. SO, take a page from my "wishful" thinking book and "know" that Skye was so dignified that she went off to find a beautiful place to take her last breath and to save you the pain of seeing her body after she had passed. (Silly to romanticize it, I know, but it makes me feel better and I hope you, too.)

Again, I know you hurt, I hope it passes and you get to the happy memories part soon.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13584 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13584 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  07:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Marianne,
I totally understand what you are saying and it's okay to "romanticize" it. We have had SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY pets just disappear from our place, cats and dogs. If I started to name them all it would be a LONG list. It IS the country and there are numerous things that can happen. Skye is the first and only cat we've had to be around as long as she has. The only dog we had that lasted very long was 14 years old and, believe it or not, in the MOST bizarre situation got "dog-napped" right off the road in front of our house. I won't get into the details of that story but it was TOTALLY bizarre . . and it took me a long time to "let go" of our Rockie.

It is impossible to thoroughly and totally search the woods (very dense with scrub oak, rabbitbrush, sagebrush, pinons, prickly pear cactus, cedars, rock outcroppings, etc.) around our house to find all the possible "hidey-holes".
Several years ago my dad had a little cock-a-poo dog and right out in the pasture by their house had to watch, helplessly, a bald eagle swoop down and carry his little "Kipper" right off!! Right here on our farm!
We also do have mountain lions, bears and coyotes . . . they're known to walk right through our yard. Just recently my hubby cut lion tracks between our house and the cow pasture.
Thanks for listening and caring!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  07:46:28 AM  Show Profile
CJ: I'm still praying Skye shows up. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile
I know that sinking feeling all too well.

So very sorry

thought are with you

thinking positively
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay I remember I had a cat that was getting old like your kitty and she started roaming and would be gone for weeks at a time. She never did that before. Maybe your kitty is doing that and she will be back.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13584 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13584 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for prayers . . . I'm not giving up hope!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear that Skye is missing. Hopefully she is safe and will come home soon!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  10:04:46 AM  Show Profile
Awww... so sad! I hope she makes it back home, soon, and well, CJ! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  11:23:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh no!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  11:49:13 AM  Show Profile
CJ my cat Sox ev ery time we would be gone for three or four days, we'd come home he would be gone for a week or more. Then come home . I am praying that Skye will come home. Sox has done this for years. Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Gosh CJ, I am so sorry to hear this! I know you are frantic with worry and sadness!! Hopefully, she will show up or someone will answer your ad or flyers soon! Good Luck and I will be keeping you in my prayers for a happy homecoming!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13584 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13584 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  12:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Marlene,
We had another cat (spayed female) who would go on "vacations" all the time and we got used to her doing that . . but she eventually disappeared too! She'd be gone for months and then come home, but it's been 17 years since we've seen her!

In the 16 years SKYE has been in our home she has NEVER, NEVER been gone more than part of a day . . . 16 years!
But, as I said, I'm not giving up hope.

Thanks everyone!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on May 27 2012 12:51:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ, So sorry to hear that your kitty is missing. Continue to hope that she will come home soon. They really own your heart, don't they? Sending prayers. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile
CJ, I hope your kitty comes home soon!!!! Will think positive thoughts for you ;)

Hugs, Tammy

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6473 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6473 Posts

Posted - May 27 2012 :  2:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Here is my very special picture of Skye. When we were visiting with CJ in April Skye was so sweet as was Bramble. I wanted to bring them both home with us, yes CJ too!
This picture we took as she was getting ready to take her nap, what a cutie she is.
Still praying CJ that she is just lost and slowly finding her way home back to you.
Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The "Queen" . .02/01/13 . . final "goodbye" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page