kss5229
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Kayla
Elkton VA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  10:23:11 AM  Show Profile
I have had a hard time keeping my gold fish alive in my rain barrel. The first round I bought all died within 2 or so months. I thought maybe I hadn’t been feeding them frequently enough since the weather wasn’t yet warm enough to supply mosquito larvae. I bought goldfish again to do an experiment. I put half in my rain barrel and half in my neighbor’s. All of mine died, several of his are still swimming. I always made sure to feed both at the same time. The only differences that I can think of are:
– My rain barrel is dark, opaque, and fully shaded during the day. His rain barrel is white, semi-opaque, and gets a decent bit of sunlight.
– My rain barrel is only ~6#8243; away from the exhaust of the boiler that heats my house.
Initially I thought the boiler exhaust might be the reason for the issue, however the boiler was barely on when I bought the second round of golf fish because of warmer weather.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I could do differently to keep some goldfish alive in my barrel??[font=Arial]
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2020 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Goldfish prefer cold water. Mosquito fish are much hardier than goldfish so might be a better choice. Also, goldfish are vegetarians and will eat any algae but not mosquito larvae; mosquito fish are carnivorous and love mosquito larvae.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Jun 17 2020 12:05:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Goldfish in Your Rain Barrel? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page