sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  2:15:19 PM  Show Profile
I just read the post about ants and was wondering if anyone uses Borax to stop bugs coming in the house? Is it effective and how is it used? I was thinking about trying the Ortho Home Defense (?) stuff, but I worry about the chemicals and my kitty, Rosie.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  6:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I'm having the same problem, but it's bigger black ants. I've never had that before. My cat is driving herself crazy about the ants. When she sees one, she starts to meow very loudly until I come and pick it up. Hopefully, one of the farmgirls will come in and let us know what to do. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  05:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My hubby says that kitties like to get into the Borax. It is deadly. Even just a little bit.

Diatomous earth (sorry about the spelling)put around the outside of the house will deter bugs. Rinse some Borax down your drain to keep centipedies and the like from coming in.

I had to break down and put Terro for the little bitty ants that I could not get rid of. They were gone in 24 hours and will be gone for 3 months. It is fairly inexpensive.

Hope this helps or someone has a better idea.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  6:25:57 PM  Show Profile
ASPARTANE... you know, the stuff that we all drink in our diet sodas...

My grand daughter did her science experiment. Two ant farms.. same species of ants from the same mail order supplier. One ant farm fed sugar. One fed 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Aspartane.

When the experiment time ended. Most all of the sugar ants were alive. Less than 5 of the Aspartane ants lived. She also said that when the Aspartane Ants died they left a red streak in their sand. The Sugar fed ants did not. (Did the poor little things hemorhage?)

Anyway. Contrary to the scientists and the FDA. It appears for Black Ants.. Aspartane works.

Kind of chokes you up, huh.

Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Borax And Bugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page