Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Towels not absorbing any liquid?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Towels not absorbing any liquid? Next Topic  

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  11:12:10 AM  Show Profile
So I am at my daughters taking care of her kids and none of her towels will absorb a thing. Lots if Vinegar or what might help. She puts lots of softer in her towels and it is awful.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  11:40:14 AM  Show Profile
That is the funny thing about softener, it softens alright but does not absorb. I use the rubber balls in my dryer and that works fine.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  4:41:09 PM  Show Profile
I'd try washing with vinegar instead of detergent and with vinegar in the softener dispenser to get all the softener residue out and then in the future wash with detergent with vinegar instead of softener. Even Martha Stewart says never use softener on towels.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  5:45:43 PM  Show Profile
it's the softener for sure...wash with baking soda in HOT water several times, useing vinegar in the rinses, it will take several washing to break down the softner and get it all out...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  02:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Hahaha!!!! Diana, that is the exact reason I will not get a shower at my mom's house. Why get a shower when you can't dry off. :)

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  01:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, This reminded me how much my mom LOVED Downy. The whole house (and somehow their car!) smelled like Downy. So funny to hear everyone else hates that slimey feeling, too.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:13:13 AM  Show Profile
I make my softener using vinegar, water and a little cheap hair conditioner, but usually just rinse with the vinegar. Also hang my towels and sheets, well everything actually, out on the clothesline.
Will take a little while to get the cruddy Downy out of the fabric.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Fabric softener does awful things to towels -- and to the people using them. As has already been noted here, it coats the fibers of towels, making them lose their ability to absorb moisture. But it can also harm your skin.

I learned from a dermatologist rather late in life that the skin problems I'd struggled with since my early teens were partly caused (or at least aggravated) by towels that been treated with fabric softener. He recommended I use paper towels, and was even careful to tell me that some brands have tiny bits of metal in them, so to be sure to buy only the very best! Can you imagine? The idea of fabric softeners was so ingrained in the American way of life that it didn't occur even to a dermatologist who knew the problem of fabric softeners that I should just do my laundry without it!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile
I had always wondered why it was that some people's towels wouldn't absorb liquid. Thanks for de-mystifying it for me!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  5:01:08 PM  Show Profile
the only good use for fabric softener is un-tangleing horses mane and tails, works on the worst of the worst matted knots, just remember to wash out really well...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  09:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I stopped using fabric softener quite some time ago after I cleaned the dispenser on my washing machine. It was a gross mess to clean up and the "coating" it left on my hands, my sink and everything . . was awful!
I use white vinegar instead and it works great!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  4:01:09 PM  Show Profile
I make my own and have not noticed anything not being absorbent. This recipe makes 64 ounces. I put it an old softener bottle and use the cap to measure.

1 15 oz bottle of hair conditioner
3 c. white vinegar
6 cups distilled water

Mix and use.

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  6:36:39 PM  Show Profile
I tried the vinegar and my family hated it. They were smelling like vinegar. I am guilty of the softener sheets but, I did buy the ball things today to try. Are those of you using the vinegar noticing that the vinegar odor is an issue?
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  05:50:49 AM  Show Profile
I use vinegar as a fabric softener in the softener cup of my washer. Using just that little bit has no odor at all, but the laundry comes out clean and fresh. Vinegar also keeps darks from lightening up, so clothes last longer. I also use homemade laundry detergent and bluing, but the vinegar was the first change I made. Now I get dizzy standing next to the laundry aisle in the store, the chemical scent is overpowering to me now. If your clothes smell of vinegar, try dropping down the amount you are putting in the wash. I have also heard of putting the vinegar in a downy ball if you don't have a cup on the washer. Good luck!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  3:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I've used straight white vinegar in my front loading washer and haven't really noticed any change from not using softener (I'm just too cheap to buy it). Am I missing something???

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  8:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I use white vinegar and we don't notice any vinegar odor at all. I also line dry and we have clear skies and clean air and great sunshine.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2012 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile
I just use white vinegar for my softener! Dryer sheet softeners do the same thing so I don't use them either!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  4:58:53 PM  Show Profile
If your family can still smell the vinegar in your laundry, you might try using it up front, rather than in the fabric softener cup, which only releases during the rinse cycle, toward the end. You could also put several drops of a nice essential oil in with it -- or on your felted wool dryer balls, which I hope you've discovered :)
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  1:42:19 PM  Show Profile
I know this is an old thread but! I buy the giant bags of baking soda at the wholesale club because I add that into the dog laundry (mostly old towels, etc.)for odor. I noticed how soft it was - i can't use fabric softener because they make me itch, but started throwing the baking soda in with my towels (and linens)they were soft enough without being non-absorbent.

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Towels not absorbing any liquid? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page