Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 I've jumped into cheesemaking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic I've jumped into cheesemaking Next Topic  

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Somehow I knew I'd be making cheese once we were given a pair of Nubian goats. It's been two years getting there, but I've successfully made a batch of Queso Blanco, and Cottage Cheese.

Next up is Mozzarella.

I've added a category called "Curds and Whey" to the Four Country Gals blog, where I'm telling of my adventures, good and bad.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh good for you...what a wonderful new thing for you to learn & be able to share with your family...I make mozzarella whenever I get raw cows milk & just love it...enjoy your goats & cheese....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheeselady
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

michele
waxhaw NC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  11:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, there is nothing better than fresh cheese from your own goats. I love to make goat Feta. Then you can marinate it herbs with sun dried tomatoes and olive oil. Yum.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  4:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Here's what I'm learning real fast... salt is relative. None of the recipes have had enough even to suit me (and I'm on a low salt diet).

I made mozz this afternoon, and I think I'm still misjudging when to cut the curds as my whey is pretty milky. Wonder if I can reheat it up to a higher temp and make riccotta?

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  6:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Riccotta is typically made from the whey of an aged cheese such as cheddar...so don't know if this will work.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  7:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, isn't it so much fun? I especially love making chevre because it's so adaptable - so many yummy herbs to mix in, or leave it unsalted and drizzle some honey on it... mmmm!

Mozz whey is acid whey & that doesn't work for ricotta - only "sweet" whey from hard cheeses works, as Michelle said.

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

bananachicken
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Ginny
Ohio
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  8:21:55 PM  Show Profile
I am interested to kit with how you are doing with this. We just got a Nubian last month and I just ordered my first cheese making kit due to arrive this tuesday. We have made chevre a couple times, but have never made any other cheese. I am a little overwhelmed with this new project but am excited at the same time to be able to make our own. :)

"I should be having tea right now."
-Lady Annalía Elisabet Catherina Tristán Llorente
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  06:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Michelle,

The chickens will enjoy the whey.

I haven't made chevre yet as I need a starter, and haven't felt brave (or organized) enough to make my own starter. Been studying, though. We get about a gallon a day, so I will have plenty of practice this summer. I'm setting up a spread sheet of some sort that will duplicate a "paper" cheese record. That way I can track my practice, mistakes, success, etc.

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  10:57:06 AM  Show Profile
I have made ricotta from motzerella cheese whey, it tastes great. All you do is add vinegar, I cannot remember how much at this time but do a search, I know I mentioned it somewhere on the forums before

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

cheeselady
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

michele
waxhaw NC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  2:43:18 PM  Show Profile
You would really do better to buy freeze dried starter. It will give you a consistent product from batch to batch. Check out www.leeners.com
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic I've jumped into cheesemaking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page