Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  10:44:34 AM  Show Profile
today is officially 3 months til the big day!

since i now live very close to my kids and grands i want to do what i can to establish some "traditions" that were never established as their "Nonnie" due to geography...they range in age from 5 to 15

i would love to hear what traditions you maybe have either with kids or-especially with- grands as we near the holidays

these can be activities as well as gifts....before the day or on the day.....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  1:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow Margo-
Just 3 months away! Yes, Christmas will be here before we know it for sure. I actually started planning out some gifts, and bartering some MJF magazines etc for handmade goodies to give as gifts.
As for the kids- I am not a grandma yet- but am a mother of a 12 yr old and a 14 year old.
One thing we have always done is stay home on Christmas Eve and bake cookies. We actually order in dinner so that there is no stress and just have FUN. We watch the movie "The Polar Express" (in fact my kids still have the bells that they got for Christmas when they were really little.) It is a GREAT movie, and really has "meaning" watching it on Christmas Eve. Also the kids each get one present that they can open Christmas Eve, and new PJ's or slippers.
Its low key- just the 4 of us, but thats the way we wanted it once we had children. On Christmas Day we go visiting and gather everyone together, usually at my sisters house.
Enjoy!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  1:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Margo! How wonderful!! I'm so happy for you!!!

One thing they ALL might enjoy is making candy choo-choo trains as ornaments or gifts for friends! This is one tradition that's been a popular request with young and old alike for years!

Here are some pics for you:

For each train you'll need:

1 stick of gum
1 roll of Lifesavers
4 star mints
1 Hershey's Kiss
1 wrapped caramel

Hot glue together as seen in the pictures. With the younger kids, I usually have them organize all the pieces and "show" me where they want me to glue them together. We use them to decorate place settings, on the tree, on wreaths, in stockings, tied to gifts, served on the tiered cookie server, given as little thank you gifts to guests and kids in the neighborhood, etc. They are super, super easy and super, super cute. If you do them with your grandkids, it's sure to be a tradition they will enjoy - and reminisce about - for many, many years to come!

You may also enjoy making a Jesse tree with the grandchildren. You can find lots of different ideas and instructions online for this. Basically, you make ornaments (or draw and color them) that correspond with the Nativity story and the appropriate Bible verse. Each day, another ornament is added to the tree as the Scripture is read aloud. It's a wonderful thing to do - really makes the meaning of Christmas come alive! We also light the candles of the Advent wreath and do daily Scripture readings, as well as have young visitors open the daily Advent calendar that counts down to Christmas!

Take them to local Christmas choral productions, to see a fantastic light or window display, to see the Nutcracker or even to do a tour of homes, or even ice skating (although I'd watch, personally - we "grand" people tend to break! LOL!). This year they are having a Kringlemart downtown that is supposed to bring in the sights and sounds of a European market at the holidays - perhaps that's something you could do in your area, too! And horse and cart rides in the snow with bells-a-jingling, or to see the magnificent light displays in your area, or to see a miniature railroad display or gingerbread house competition, visiting different churches to see how they celebrate, going to a local indoor garden to see the displays, or sledding (again, grandmas can break, so proceed with caution!). Hot chocolate and Christmas movie classics like "It's A Wonderful Life" or "A Christmas Story"... Or listening to classic Christmas carols while stringing popcorn and cranberries, decorating the tree, looking at old family photos - or watching old family films - and reminiscing, wrapping gifts, making cards, baking goodies, making snowmen... There are so many wonderful traditions you can start with them. Just remember to take pictures for posterity!!! :)

There are so many things you can do with the kids to make gifts - layered cookie or soup jars, herbal infused vinegars, peppermint cocoa mix in jars, cookies and desserts.... I'm sure our farmgirl sisters will have lots of other ideas, too! I can't wait to see them all! Thanks, Margo!!! Now I'M in the mood for the holidays! LOL!

Have a wonderful, blessed holiday season, Margo! I'm so, so happy you'll be celebrating with your grandkids this year!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 25 2012 1:42:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  04:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I love the advent calendars. The kids get so excited to have a dinky piece of chocolate every morning. My Nonni didn't really have any christmas traditions. Maybe biscotti.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  9:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Since I am a procrastinator, It is scary that I only have 3 months. I am making all my gifts this year. I guess I'll have to get a little hitch in my git along (lol). When my mil died I let everyone have one of her cookie cutters. I tied a ribbon on them and each took one home for their tree. we have a group prayer before the Christmas meal and include prayers for those not with us any more or those who couldn't come. One year I asked each person to bring their baby picture. When you're older it gets funny.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  10:03:23 AM  Show Profile
We have a tradition of opening new flannel pajamas every Christmas Eve.

I love making homemade ornaments, and I am very behind on those.

I am making canned cinnamon/cider jelly for everyone this year again. Not sure about anything else yet. I did crochet two starfish dishcloths for Mom, and a blanket for my brother's girlfriend. Each family gets a small box of handmade ornaments also.

Each fall season, and especially at the holidays, we make hot cranberry punch and Chex Mix (we love that naughty snack).

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  3:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Each year I bought my daughter (and now my grandgirls) new "magic" pjs in a Christmas design. They are magic because "they help you fall asleep faster so Santa can come." It gives them something to open on 12/24 and I know they always look good in pics. We also do Chineese food Christmas eve. We do this every year with the whole family and they were the only ones open that day. We do advent calendars, we bake a birthday cake for baby Jesus and read the Bible story...every year I polish and hang the 12 silver bells that my grandmother hung in her doorway every year of my life...and well, we are a family with many traditions. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2012 :  04:34:02 AM  Show Profile
We like advent calenders. This year we are making a new one.
Felt mittens that are hanging from a "clothesline" inside the mitten is a card that has a Christmas scripture to read on one side and a family activity to do on the other side.
I am excited about using it this year.
We also make and decorate cookies.
Ornaments are always a fun thing to make too.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

teryouth54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Terry
Bark River MI
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2012 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile
A tradition I do with my 2 grandgirls is to make them a unique card & mail them separately. They love that they get their own card, especially the 4 year old. I send them Christmas stickers in the card to enjoy too.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Counting down to Christmas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page