Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Taking stress out of the holidays....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Taking stress out of the holidays.... Next Topic  

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Okay......the holidays are just around the corner. And for many it is a very stressful time of year. Let's hear what everyone does to make the holidays LESS stressful and MORE enjoyable.

Tip 1--We do not exchange gifts wih extended family. We all decided years ago that money spent should be on your own children. Any gifts exchanged are hand-made items, but not expected.

Tip 2--I started handmade items this summer, during softball season. I now have a ton of dish-clothes, x-stitch ornaments, scarves, hats and mittens made. Now I can concentrate on all the fun stuff I want to make.

Tip 3---My menus are planned for 30 days at a time. Grocery shopping and cooking are done every Sunday. And there will only be 4 types of X-mas cookies made. (Everyone gets to pick 1 favorite).

So let's hear your tips.......

Arttie

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  08:14:17 AM  Show Profile
We plan ahead a little when it comes to our baking. If we are baking something else, like pies or casserole, we also bake a batch of cookies, then store them in cans in the freezer. That way holiday baking is easier and less stressful.

Also, most gifts are either handmade or trips to somewhere (theater tickets, train ride, etc). We stopped giving expensive gifts, so that nobody goes into debt for the holidays.

We also have pot luck for holiday meals, so that everybody shares the load.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  12:17:59 PM  Show Profile
I buy all my presents for my family by thanksgiving and my husbands family usually after. This decreases my stress and splits up the purchases to make it not so troublesome to spend money at the end of the year. We rarely leave our town which also helps. Both my parents live a plane ride or two away so it becomes easier for them to come here and join us rather than us flying four people there. My inlawed family is all here and have always been great about sharing with whatever family comes to visit us. We also don't spend a lot of money on presents. We rather enjoy the holidays and not feel like we over spent and worry about money along with how many Christmas cookies to eat ;)

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  12:31:49 PM  Show Profile
I put my little one's toys in layaway. It's easier on me to pay it over time and I don't have to EVER be in a toy store or see mean people fighting over material goods.

I buy online for everything else or go to an antique or vintage store where a) I can find something totally unique and b) I know I won't be hampered by the masses in my quest.

I used to make homemade knitted items, but with a full time job, a toddler and hands that cramp up all night long while asleep, knitting gifts became more stressful than happy, so I either bake or pay someone on Etsy to handmake something for me. A Lot less stress and far less missed gift deadlines.

For me, the holiday is about being with my child, my husband, my mom and my inlaws etc. It's about traditional visits to the trains downtown, to Santa, buying the tree, putting up the Advent calendar, etc. It has very little to do with material goods, though I do enjoy giving gifts.

I have simply realized over the years that it's "ok" to not be super woman and I don't expect too much of myself anymore. I know when to say, "no" and that's made my life a LOT less stressful, especially around the holidays!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile
~I try to purchase my cards a year before if possible when they go on sale. That helps with the wallet and for saving time
~I buy my holiday stamps as soon as they come out in October
~I have my list updated so that will make things easier
~I spend the year making different things for gifts and I also shop at etsy. You can purchase beautiful handmade items there.
~I too have narrowed down baking and making candy to our favorites, marshmallows being one of those :)
~I mix up cookie dough and shape into cookies and freeze. Then when I am ready I can just take the pre-shaped dough out and bake.
~I start purchasing baking items and holiday groceries early. I pull my recipes aside and take inventory of what I have and what I need.
~I have a recipe binder designated for the holidays so I have that at my fingertips.

I would love to be more organized and make a menu. We do cook extra foods and freeze for busy days.

Has anyone done the "Organized Christmas"? I was planning on printing off some copies and keeping a binder to help me be more organized for the holidays.

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh, gals, you all sound very organized. It is such a busy time. Try to enjoy. This is my first Christmas as an empty-nester. It seems there is plenty of time now...

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  11:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, as you get closer to the holidays, you will find others who need you. Plenty of time translates to plenty of opportunities. Hava a great holiday season.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Marianne, I love what Phyllis just said. I would love to have just a little bit of extra time off from work to volunteer at my favorite charities, or to do some real good, visiting shut ins and delivering food. A lot of these things are done during the daytime when I work and around the holidays, I always "wish" I could. Maybe, with an empty nest things will sure be different, but maybe they can be different "good".

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1628 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1628 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  9:24:25 PM  Show Profile
I start early in the summer making lists of what I want gifts to make, or buy for my grandchild.
Cross off on that list when finished
Meals are planned each week
October I do pantry invortory to see what I need for holiday baking and start buying
I don't go shopping for presents after Thanksgiving, it is done before the maddness starts. I only get items that my children want that I can't make or bake
I make up my cookie doughs and freeze them
Most important is being with my hubby and children and grsndchild

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Taking stress out of the holidays.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page