Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Right to vote and disillusionment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Right to vote and disillusionment Next Topic
Page: of 2

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  10:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I've always believed a person should exercise their right to vote, since many have suffered and died for it. But when I see the political parties, and the candidates, blaming each other for all the problems this country faces....I wonder, why vote for people who refuse to accept responsibility for their roles in creating these problems? I'd like to hear a candidate say:"I helped create the national debt, and I'm willing to sacrifice half my income if the other members of congress will do the same (or even if they won't)". It wouldn't solve all the world's problems but it would go far in increasing the confidence of the citizens who make up this country. It seems like today's political candidates equate accepting responsibility with admitting weakness, and it's not. So come November, I may just avoid the polls altogether and watch "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". And I'll probably have lots of company.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  04:05:40 AM  Show Profile
I read a poll ... somewhere that said about 7% of the population will do the same thing.
It will be a sad day for this country when that number increases to the 25% mark. And it seems that is were it is headed.
Enjoy the show.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Oct 01 2012 04:20:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  05:37:57 AM  Show Profile
They way politics is now and has always been is because of the ALMIGHTY dollar...It is business of power and greed. It has nothing to do with love of country and wanting to make America the best country in the world-Anyone who believes this about the candidates coming up sorely mistaken.

I refuse to vote for either candidate-Why should I choose the lesser of two evils?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  06:01:03 AM  Show Profile
It has gotten to this point because of the American People.
Disregarding the constitution..allowing the candidates to do the same. We vote them in.
I will be at the polls voting for the lesser of the two evils.
This country is spiraling out of control and maybe it is too late to stop, but I will vote just the same.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  06:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, couldn't agree with you more. We The People, are responsible for our own country, no matter who the politicians are. There is a quote attributed to Alexander Tytler in the 1800's that states, "Democracies always fail when voters figure they can vote largesse from the public treasury. [in other words, voting for the politician who will give them the most stuff]...these democracies take the following path: From bondage to spirituality; from spirituality to great courage; from great courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency and from dependency back to bondage." In other words, it is all on the shoulders of the voter and at what stage voters are in a country. Right now, we are quickly heading to the Dependency stage, expecting the government to take care of our every need which will eventually lead back to bondage to the government. And that is our own fault. It is easy to blame politicians for the problems of this country, but the fact is, politicians are just a reflection of the direction of the citizenry in that country. We are't victims because ultimately, God is in control of it all. If we throw up our hands and say, "I'm not going to vote" then we have not done a thing to solve the problem but have simply become part of the problem.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile
I know that people consider it "throwing away my vote", but I truly look at all the candidates on the ballot and there is usually someone there that I can stand behind. I know that person doesn't stand a chance of winning, but I just don't agree with either of the two big parties enough to vote for one of them.

Then again, I live in Oregon and the vote is already decided before our ballots are counted because we don't carry enough weight in the electoral college anyway so I guess it really isn't throwing anything away.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile
I think, as a whole, we should be disenchanted with politics--in the last 20 years, it seems more bipartisan bickering than solving problems. This song, by Woody Guthrie, speaks to me a lot--and should also to other folks who feel like their views and ideals aren't represented by the 2 party system. It's about a Stetson Kennedy, a human rights activitst who later ran for Governor of Florida. During the early civil rights movement, he infiltrated the KKK and divulged "secret" membership and info about the origanization. Woody Guthrie admired him and wrote this song about the disenchanted voter.

"I done spent my last three cents
Mailing my letter to the President
Didn't make a show, I didn't make a dent
So I'm swinging over to this independent gent

Stetson Kennedy
Writing his name in
Stetson Kennedy
Writing his name in

I can't win out to save my soul
Long as Smathers-Dupont's got me in the hole
Them war profit boys are squawking and balking
That's what's got me out here walking and talking

Knocking on doors and windows
Wake up and run down election morning
And scribble in Stetson Kennedy
I ain't the world's best writer, ain't the world's best speller
But when I believe in something I'm the loudest yeller
If we fix it so you can't make no money on war
Well we'll all forget what we was killing folks for

We'll find us a peace job equal and free
We'll dump Smathers-Dupont in a salty sea
Well, this makes Stetson Kennedy the man for me"

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Oct 02 2012 06:10:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  07:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I know I have always voted but this year, I am just clueless as who to vote for, I would love to just hear the truth, I don't think that is to much to ask, if they what to get the debt in check they need to ask a bunch of single mom's how to cut back! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  07:59:55 AM  Show Profile
I will certainly be in the voting booth come November.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  08:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am going to be in the voting booth in Nov. Don't give away your right because of some show, poll, or other media sideshow. You must stand by what you believe in no matter what.

If you think that you ever will get a cut and dry truth, I am very sorry for you. Life just isn't that way.

Even if you don't vote, you have made a choice. Make that choice yourself.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  09:05:41 AM  Show Profile
I am with all of you. I'm so sick of this stuff, too.

Here's the thing: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. Try to find something you agree with, try to find which side leans with your ideals, try to find a truth you can accept, and vote. Otherwise you become a slave to someone else's will - and that is not what our forefathers and mothers who died for us intended when they sacrificed everything and shed their blood for our freedoms. Think about all the other people in all the other countries whose voices are silenced, who must risk everything they have in the hopes of a better future for themselves and their progeny. We cannot take our freedom for granted and just throw in the towel when we are frustrated or bewildered by the hype. Our rights and freedoms all came at a very high cost.

Pay no heed to the polls; mute the political advertisements when they come on the television; don't answer the phone when they call; ignore the emails. Don't just take what ANYONE says as Gospel truth, either - because a lot of it is simply conjecture and opinion, the result of others relying on what others tell them and passing it along. To me, that's toxic. Investigate to learn the truth as best as you can, and make as informed of a decision as possible. If we do nothing, say nothing we have given up our rights to the will of others, and, like I said, we become, in effect, slaves to the will of others. That is un-American. We're stronger than this. We are better than this. We are more noble than this. We are wiser than this. We must persist and persevere!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 01 2012 09:10:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  09:17:55 AM  Show Profile
Nini: I couldn't have said it better. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  09:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Amen, Nini. That's pretty much everything I was thinking. I was going to try and add something, but you said it all!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Nini, you go girl!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  12:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
AMEN, Nini! Thank you!
It is discouraging to hear and see what goes on. However, WE, THE PEOPLE . . . . have the power!
I will be voting, as I always do, because I am an American citizen and I have the right, freedom, and privilege . . and RESPONSIBILITY!

I go to every possible source to get information so that I can be educated on what/how/who to vote. I don't listen to the ads on TV and I don't take the calls. And, I go to the polls with my "cheat sheet" on my decisions and that is ONLY after I've educated myself. I don't want to be making those decisions in the voting booth . . . there's too much "studying" to be done so that I can vote intelligently. And, yes, that takes some time and effort. There typically are several local or state things that we vote on as well.
I have said to some folks that, "Yes, I vote! If I don't vote then I don't have the right to complain!"

It does matter and, like Nini says, it all came at great cost!
We, the people . . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  1:00:21 PM  Show Profile
don't know if there is a lesser of 2 evils, and as bad as things are in this country right now, even if we ended up with a miracle, and who ever wins does actually stand behind their words and tries, its sooo very broken, I don't think it will be fixed in my great grandkids lives...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  2:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Nini, here, here!!! You said that so well. I guess because we are all older and haven't been in our history books for a very, very, very long time, :-) we forget that "there is nothing new under the sun." If you read about the political parties, congresses AND election cycles from years gone by, you get shocked how that is so true.

Just some examples:
Adams against Jefferson: Jefferson painted Adams as a "hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."
And so Adams labeled Jefferson "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father."

Andrew Jackson against John Quincy Adams: 1828 - Jackson's wife was divorced and so was called all sorts of lewd names by his opponents and they labeled Jackson a Jackass.

Jackson, in return, claimed that incumbent John Quincy Adams had once tried to offer his maid as a concubine to Russian Czar Alexander I!!!

Johnson against Goldwater - and I remember this one!! It was termed the nastiest of all elections, ever: Johnson systematically destroyed Goldwater's character with the help of an "after-hours" smear team. It worked — Johnson won one of the most lopsided elections in U.S. history. I remember that Goldwater was good natured and would not go after Johnson in return and paid dearly for it.

And the wildest election I know of was when the Democrat party AND the Republican party tried to get Eisenhower to run for president for their parties. He didn't have a clue whose side he was on and finally decided that he was a Republican. The Democrats were pretty mad at him for not picking their side. Can you imagine? So, don't be discouraged. Just stand for what you know to be right, vote for the person who best gives you SOME value to stand by and know that you have done your part.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  2:19:06 PM  Show Profile
I too will be voting. Too many have fought for us to have the right & it would be a dishonor to their sacrifices not to.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Oct 01 2012 7:21:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, even though I have lived her for 59 years, this will be my first year that I will be able to vote! I have always been an American in my heart, but I was born in Canada and came here when I was 5. I think Canada is a wonderful, beautiful country, but my heart and soul are American. One of the main reasons I finally decided to become a citizen (1 yr. on Oct.18)is that I wanted to vote. The other reason I chose to do it then was because my beloved country was and is in a terrible place. I thought what better way to show how much I love it and support it than to become a citizen. Remember we American's don't turn and run in the face of adversity, nor will we give up in the hardest of times we have known. Especially us farmgirls! I will vote with great pride. I'm sure I will be shedding a few tears, because it is so precious to me to have the right. I think that the politcal parties, all of them, need to put aside all the party lines nonsense and really work together for the people who have elected them to help us find solutions to these extremely hard problems that our country and our people face. I think that is why nothing gets done no matter who the President may be.No one person can fix this. There is no place and no time for the party divisions to rule the decisions made to help this country. Until the politicians truly recognize this and work together nothing will change. This nonsense of if you're a Republican you can't back anything that a Democrat suggests or if you are a Democrat you can't support a Republican suggestion is with out a doubt the most childish, foolish irresponsible thing I have seen.Our country has no time for this. We need to work together as a team,putting aside all else and having everyone looking to do what is best for this country.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  3:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow, you've given me a lot to think about. I really like that Woody Guthrie song--they don't make songwriters like that anymore. I think part of the reason I feel so disillusioned is because I live in Illinois, where our ex-governors make our license plates. I know a man who was involved in politics and he told me:"Just remember--nothing is wrong. Everything is going just as it should". He was being facetious, as he knows darn well that a lot of things need fixin'. He was just explaining the mentality of a lot of politicians. And that's scary, cause no matter what they say about solving problems, most of them aren't convinced there really is a problem to be solved. they just want to keep things running the way they are. maybe it does boil down to choosing the lesser of two evils. Or I could do the woody Guthrie thing and choose a write-in candidate. I do know who I WON'T vote for, so maybe that's my choice. A vote for the opposition is a vote against the candidate that I think will do the most harm. And that may be the way I vote, if I vote.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  4:52:32 PM  Show Profile
As someone who helps people register to vote, Im very disappointed in those who say they choose not to vote. In my opinion, if you do not vote, you are willingly giving strangers power over you. Would you let a stranger decide where you should live? Where you should work? What books you should read? Probably not. When you vote, you voice your opinion. There are people all over the world, who would do anything to have their voice be heard. I think that as women, epecially, it is our duty to vote. Remember our suffragette ancestors who were ridiculed, beaten and jailed so WE could have this right! Not to mention the women all around the world who are STILL being ridiculed, beaten and jailed! To not vote would be a slap in the face. It is not my business to tell you who to vote for, but please, PLEASE vote!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  8:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow. As an American and daughter and sister of a Vet. I resent how some of you claim that by NOT voting we are shirking our responsibility or DUTY. America is all about CHOICE. I have always voted. I ran an election board when I was a township clerk many years ago. My CHOICE this time around is NOT to vote because I don't feel EITHER candidate is qualified.

My right, My CHOICE.

Melody
Farmgirl#525
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16301 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16301 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  04:36:48 AM  Show Profile
In addition to the Democratic and Republican Presidential candidates, my ballot has two independents, one constitution, and one libertarian running for President. There are candidates for Congress, State Senators (our family doctor is seeking re-election), State Representatives, and County Offices, that include Commissioners, our Sheriff, and Prosecuting Attorney, as well as Supervisors for our local Soil and Water Conservation District (a local farmer that I’ve served with before on the city’s Health and Environment Commission is running). There are two Idaho constitutional amendments that I’ve had to get up to speed on and three propositions. All three referendums are of great importance to the teachers in our state. They’ve been working round-the-clock educating voters on the importance of these issues.

I was inspired by this timely thread to revive a voting essay I published a couple of years ago that I hope you’ll take the time to read, http://www.raisingjane.org/journal/. I included Okie Farm Girl's comments that I thought were eye-opening.

As always, Ninibini knocked it out of the park.

Your voices are important. Thank you for your thoughtful passion and discourse!!!!! And thanks to those willing to serve. It's not an easy job.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  06:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you MaryJane for the reminder of just how precious my right to vote, as a woman, is.
Yes, Nini you took the words right our of my mouth.

I always exercise my right as an American to vote. I remember my first time voting in 1981 for President Reagan like it was yesterday. I am afraid for my beloved Country and know one of the ways to have my voice is to vote. We can become a little overwhelmed by the advertisements and phone calls. I try to block this out but I do watch the debates. You can learn a lot about a candidate this way. I am not really excited about the candidates this time (except for my native son, Paul Ryan) but feel I need to make a decision from my gut. I know quite a few people who decide not to vote and that is their choice. The only problem with that is maybe a few don't matter but when there are thousands it does.

I know Iraq is a hot bed topic for many, but to me I will be thinking about it when I am at the polls. When my DH and SIL were there serving I was very involved in the inside goings on. My SIL would write and tell me about the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis lining up to vote for the first time in their lives eventhough it could have meant their deaths. They had to keep the polls open hours past the closing time. I have a image burned in my head of a long line of women in their burkhas carrying their children and holding up their purple thumb that showed they voted. Would we as Americans, stand in that same line if it was a matter of life or death? I for one will never take my freedom lightly.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Oct 02 2012 06:04:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  4:24:21 PM  Show Profile
I agree totally, Diane!

BTW- I dont know if someone else has mentioned it, but you can skip parts of the ballot and still vote. So if you dont have a favorite candidate for president or are are just plain fed up, skip the presidential section.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  4:41:00 PM  Show Profile
I will be voting.

One year when I had waited in the rain in a long line to vote and was whining about it I turned and there was Matt Maupins father. I felt so ashamed that I was acting that way. Matt Maupin is the young man that was MIA and then they found his bones. He went to the same high school as my son. He was taken and then killed. I will always vote and always be proud of my Country and even though I do not always agree with the politicians I know that God is in control and he knows who will win the election. So many people have died for the rights that we have and I will honor them in showing up to vote.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Right to vote and disillusionment Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page