Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 looking for recipes to use up some bread.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic looking for recipes to use up some bread. Next Topic  

mglory82
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jessica
pa
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  3:38:30 PM  Show Profile
I have some bread in the freezer and i'm looking for some recipes to use the bread. I know there is bread pudding and stuffing but are there any other recipes that uses bread?

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I have a number of recipes that I use to use up old bread but unfortunately they have been handed down verbally and I have had to guess somewhat at quantities. If you want more accurate recipies you could google them I guess as both are very established English puddings.

We love Summer Pudding -

Line a Bowl with Bread with the crusts cut off and fill the hole with berries of any kind - put a layer of bread on the top and then weight it gently for a couple of hours - serve with cream. Really only works with White Bread.

Or Bread and butter pudding.

Spread about 8 slices of bread with butter on both sides and put a layer in the bottom of a dish sprinkle generously with sugar, and any kind of dried fruit and spices you fancy. Place another layer of bread and butter and another layer of fruit and spices until the bowl is full. Sprinkle the top with sugar and spices.

Mix together 3 eggs and 3 cups of milk and pour it over the bowl of bread - leave it for about 1/2 hour to allow the milk to soak into the bread, then bake in the oven for about 30-40mins until the top is all crispy and the milk and eggs have set.

Normally served with proper English Custard but could be served with cream or ice cream. You can be as imaginative as you like for the fruit and spices. My Mum loves this with the bread made into Marmalade sandwiches first and then layered in the bowl and the best one I ever made was using a traditional Czech spicy apple sauce, a friend had given me, instead of the dried fruit and spices.

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic looking for recipes to use up some bread. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page