Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  9:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Talking about weird dreams...the other night I had a dream my dog was talking to me and he said, "You little snort.." yes, that's what he said. I guess cause I call him goofball. I almost always have strange dreams, always have. but I have an active imagination so I guess that's why. I've found that valerian can help me sleep if I take the capsules. If I drink the tea, it keeps me up cause I have to go to the bathroom.
I had to go to the ER last night cause I was having trouble breathing. It had gradually been getting worse all week. My inhaler was past the expiration date and didn't help anymore.They gave me a breathing treatment and some pills. The Er was busy and by the time I got out and had stopped by the drug store to get my prescription, four hours had passed. I got home about 2:30 a.m. and then couldn't sleep so I called off work today. I finally fell asleep about the time I normally get up.
Holly--your greenhouse looks very sturdy. What do you plan to grow in it? I love your mountain view.
The food coop will be in a poor section of town where good food is hard to come by, so I don't think prices will be outlandish. People on food stamps, disability and such will pay a lot less than people with means. Our town, unfortunately, was in the news just recently when video surfaced of a police officer pepper spraying two juveniles who were cuffed and sitting in a holding cell, apparently doing nothing. I knew a young man who wanted to be an officer and when I told him I thought our police force was corrupt, he replied. "They all are. It just goes with the territory". Sad to say, I think he's right. that's NOT to say that all police officers are corrupt, but every dept. has its bad eggs. Just like politicians. As long as people think they can get away with it, they will.
I also just found out, from talking to a neighbor, that there was an incident last summer where the people across the street, who have had the police visit them on occasion...anyway, last summer this young man came out of the house witha gun and pointed it at my house. He was cussing about something. I was at work at the time. he was probably mad cause I asked them to stop using my driveway as a turn-around. And I'm just now hearing about it. My neighbor doesn't know if that person is still living there, as last summer there were people constantly coming and going from that house. I was talking to someone the other day and she said she almost ready to move to Costa Rica just to get away from all the violence in this country. She may have a point.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  04:23:34 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone,

C left very early this morning to take DdK to the bus so she can go tp Brooklyn and care for her friend who is having an operation. She has always come back safe but I still worry while she is gone.

Yes, those are 6" X6" 's. For the most part they are not that heavy because they are very dry and they are all white pine. I do use the tractor to manipulate them so I do not use up all of my spoons in a half hour. I use the chain saw to cut the notches so that makes it easier as well. I would still be on the first level if I had to cut it all with hand tools. the inside dimensions are 10' X 20'.

The view and the place is peaceful. I was showing a neighbor the greenhouse yesterday. He was very awed by the quiet and good energy.

Thanks for the nice words about it.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  3:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Holly, you are smart to use the machinery to your advantage. I think you will have a greenhouse to last the ages! It will be beautiful and I bet the good energy will just increase.

I will send thoughts of safety for ddK. She is kind to do what she is doing...almost like she had a good example growing up. ;-)

We had our Women's Adventure day on Thursday. The four of us had a very good time. A hike, lunch on the Columbia, hike back to the fort to tour the gardens and then a private tour of the fort that allowed us into any of the buildings we wanted to see. We wanted to see them all so we were there quite a while. The fort was not a military fort, but a trading fort built and run by the Hudson's Bay Trading Company. The fort gardens were interesting, too. I didn't know tobacco could be grown here. They used to put the leaves between the furs to kill the bugs. that ought to have given us a clue about tobacco, right?

Yesterday, dh and I hung out together and today we took mom into town and then worked around the place for a while. It is overcast and cool today, but we are supposed to have lovely weather soon.

I tried Valerian at one point and it didn't really have any effect on me. Melatonin helps me get back to sleep more easily and I do take that nightly.

mar
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  4:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A long day here on the old hill farm. All day I worked on the turkey pen and it is finally done and the dinners are in the pen happily running around eating bugs and greens. I ended up using 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe in the ground and putting the 2" pipe over it and into the air. The sticks did not work. they kept braking when there was a little stress on them from the cross bar or me tripping into them. The PVC pipe looks good. I used fence staples to attach the netting to the top of the surrounding fence to keep out the flying predators and the climbing ones as well. It was tedious. In the past I have used a staple gun but I could not find it. Now Maybe I will not have to work so hard next year.

I wonder Mar as the architect do you look with that eye or the gardener's eye when you see the green house? I hope it lasts a long time. I worry only a little because it is not pressure treated wood but I think if I make the roof overhang enough to protect the walls from the elements it should be ok.

Our Adventure outing sounds wonderful. I like going to historical museums especially when the docents are knowledgeable. Did you use up all your spoons?

Cindy I am sorry you had a breathing emergency. I am glad you are better.

I have been thinking about your PVC Coop, G and giggling and then considering what did not work for you so I will not make the same mistakes. We once had raccoons come visit. The littles who are the middles now were having a sleep out on the back porch. The raccoon family with a litter of little ones climbed the side of the house to get over the fence to have a feast on the meat chickens and their grain. The children were screaming and shining their flashlights and the baby raccoons were screaming. as well. I had forgotten about that when you mentioned your restaurant offerings. lol

We had dandelion flower fritters and fried fish for supper.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on May 16 2015 4:04:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  12:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Well those darn raccoons are brilliant. Get you a couple of coon dogs. I would have loved seeing the screaming children and the baby raccoons!

Rain, rain and more rain in Texas. Our lakes are filling up for the first time in years.

But the dark days are giving me fits of depression.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile
GG, send some of that rain this way. It rains all around us, but not in Central Florida. We keep missing it all. It has been in the 90s and humid, but we are getting used to it. We did not have the air on for 4 days now.
I just finished cleaning out the motor hoe, now we can pack it back up for our trip back home. e will not be leaving for about 7 weeks yet, but now we can take our time and pack what we need. We have been using the motorhome for running into town to do errands. We are still finding places here and there. This is a very spread out city with lots and lots of traffic. We go so far, then back here. Each time we go a little further down the road to see what is there.
Holly, your greenhouse will outlive all of us, I am sure. Probably still be usable 100 years from now. That is looking good, girl!!! You must be almost done home schooling for the summer, then maybe you will have lots of help with the chores around there.
Cindy, hope you are able to breath better now. I know what that is like. I am on oxygen at night and still use my inhalers when needed during the day. Also the nebulizer when my breathing gets really difficult.
Hope you are all enjoying the day and able to get done what you wanted today.
I still cannot upload pictures on here. Maybe later I will try on Bob's laptop. I never had problems with that one. Later,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  12:48:15 PM  Show Profile
GG. Sounds like you need your craft room and some nice pick me up music. That always does it for me. Good days are folk, reggae or James Taylor like music days. Bad days are rock and roll and the blues like Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton.

Holly, I can relate to the raccoon and screaming children. My dog Scooby got a hold of a baby racoon and shook the daylights out of it. We were all screaming at him and each other to get it away from him. He finally dropped it. Poor thing was like a cartoon character with the little birdies flying around it's head. My son put on some heavy gloves and picked it up and we put it under the house for safety. It was gone the next day so I figured it survived the ordeal. But Scooby Hated raccoon with a passion!

My old coon dog... miss him so much!

Dandelion flower fritters sound interesting. I'll pass on the fish though.

I have had a good few days in the sewing room. This is what I have been working on.

I saw a pair of patched jeans on Pinterest that I liked. So this is my effort at reproducing them.
Here is the original picture from Pinterest...

Here is the waistband I did.

Holly, I still owe you an piece of clothing. Would this be something you would like?

Off to do more sewing before my precious Sunday is over.

Later goddesses.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  2:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Love the jeans, Bunny. I could see Holly rocking that style for sure! Scooby looks like a love bug, I'm sure you miss him.

Holly I look at everything with an architect's eye. Dh gave me a ring and I said, "I love it! It reminds me of the flying buttresses of Notre Dame." He had no clue whether he had done well or just laid an egg. But, mostly I look at your greenhouse with wonder and a whole lot of envy!! And dandelion fritters sound wild! They must involve quite a bit of labor?

Jan, I hope the humidity breaks soon for you. I know it will be short-lived, but welcome. And G, rainy days and mondays...you'll shake the doldrums soon.

Mom has been having a large number of failures baking cornbread...It is hard to just let her do it, but I want to let her hang on to as much as she can. So, the horses get a lot of crumbly cornbread. Last failure was my fault. I told her to buy the wrong vegetable oil. What is the "right" vegetable oil? Oh well, I have broad shoulders both literally and figuratively!

mar
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  5:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a very lovely hot day here in the Greens. Nary a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze. the black flies are out in force. I wear baby oil so while they still might land on me they do not bite because they suffocate in the oil.

The neighbor rototilled a large area in the field near the green house for me. I am going to put corn and squash there. I have five different kinds of squash started. the littles pumpkins are coming up in their ice cream containers so they will need to go outside soon.

Dandelion fritters are easy to make. DsC and I took maybe 15 minutes to pick enough and we picked twice as many as I cooked. I forgot how they fill up your stomach. So, I make a thicker pancake batter and stir in some dandelion flowers. Then I drop them into hot oil and cook. I serve them with maple syrup. The children really like them.

I do like the pants. I wear 31 waist and 34 length in a relaxed fit. I just got rid of some of my more treasured jeans because I do not have an arm on my sewing machine that will get in the narrow leg of the jeans.

Jan are your joints any easier to live with? I hope you have a lot less pain now in the warmer climate. How many hats did you make since moving?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  6:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I seam rip the side seam so I can applique stuff on it.

Dandelion fritters sound good. I have tons of them in my lawn. I guess it is a good way to hide greens so kids will eat them.

Just finished two more pairs of pants. One pair are shorts, the other has doilies all over.

Holly, I'll see what I can do for you. I'll have to go on a hunt for your pant size. It may take a while. But I think I can finally make something that will fit you.

Anyway, I'm pooped out for today.

Later!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Never mind the jeans--I want that flat stomach. Kidding, sort of.

I wonder if baby oil would help with Mosquitos here. They are out in force with all this rain. The humidity is awful too. But I'm not complaining.

Mel, are you moved in yet?

Edited by - doll58maker on May 18 2015 11:59:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

When I was younger and swam five days a week so we are talking college I had a four pack in my abs. It was the flutter kicking with a kick board. I bet I couldn't do two laps of flutterkicking now. So, in shape for other things. It really is just good genetics on both sides of my family. Remember I have not birthed any children so I think that has something significant when it comes to body shape.

My friend Clumpy survived her fasting and vision quest. She said, she had a vision but her children were needy so we could not talk much. I was so glad to see her. She will take a week or more to recover. She seemed tired. She said she got very sick and then passed the line where her body could handle it and went on from there.

It was a slow day today. I did see the female mallard duck on the pond yesterday so I guess she is nesting close by.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  06:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning girls,
Yesterday we went into town and spent 5 hours mostly "window" shopping, but we did find a few nice stores and a grocery store that is a lot cheaper than Walmart, especially with meats, they are almost half the price we were paying at Walmart!!!!! Now we need to find a place for a small freezer. The refrigerators and freezers in rvs are only about 3/4 the size of regular ones.
Holly, yes, my joints and bones feel so much better here where it is warm. I am not completely pain free, but I am not anything like I was in the cold climate. I have not made any hats since I've moved here, but I was doing some jewelry with an elderly (83yo) lady, but she is back home in Canada until November. There are a few ladies here that want me to teach jewelry making in the fall when they get back. Maybe we can do that here on our lot in my own time. I have thousands of $ in jewelry parts, just need my mind to come up with some ideas. I did just finish crocheting a patriotic bunting to hang around our awning, and another one to go around our canopy. Need to get those out before this weekend. Maybe later today.
Bunny, I love the new things you are coming up with. Keep it up, and you will do well.
Have a great day all,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  06:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. I am afraid I am feeling not so perky and positive today. My Monday off was wonderful. Made His Dudeness a set of flip-flop stepping stones as a surprise for his birthday, which is coming on Saturday. Did all the laundry, cleaned the bathrooms and did the floors. Then he brought home a load of pea gravel, which I shoveled into buckets in the bed of the truck, so he wouldn't have to climb up and down each time. Now we have a nice little path through the new entry. This landscaping is hard work, but making a nice difference in the place.

I think my problem is that I am "looking forward to" a birthday dinner for his youngest daughter on Thursday evening. I really like her a lot, but this dinner will include her mother -- the woman who introduced me to several guests at her annual Christmas party as "the woman who lives with my husband." So you can imagine how comfortable I am being around her (and her live-in manfriend -- make no mistake about that!) This woman just pushes my buttons and about the time I think I have worked a way around her behavior getting to me, she pulls something new. I honestly don't know if she is trying to be irritating, or if she just doesn't have a clue. I think that remark at Christmas was supposed to be cute or funny, but all it did was rock me back on my heels and make her friends uncomfortable. Anyway, I know it shouldn't bother me, and I need to be in charge of my feelings, but I think that's probably why my mood is low. Both of his daughters and The Dude have their birthdays this week, so there has always been a huge deal made of "THE BIRTHDAYS" and his ex loves to make a big deal of whatever. At least this will just be dinner out and I won't have to go to her house again. I really like both the daughters, though.

Here's a picture of the new path and the old Dude.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  06:31:19 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:31:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Feb 10 2016 6:34:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  06:44:57 AM  Show Profile

I hope these pictures work, it took forever to upload them. This is our 5th wheel, which is 36 feet with 3 slides, so we have lots of room to roam in here.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  06:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jan, that is huge! And they have such a great use of the space inside that you really don't miss anything. And think of all the housework you don't have to do anymore. It's great that you can set up permanently, too. I hope you have a craft area. I had friends with a fifth wheel and inside they had everything. They each had a little space for their hobbies. It was the coolest thing. They stayed 6 months in Texas and the other 6 in Arizona so they only had to haul it once a year.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  07:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Jan -- It looks like a great RV! My folks were snowbirds (Arizona and Washington) for years and absolutely loved it. My mom always had her sewing machine and my dad had his guitars and computers. They met so many nice people and made good friends. After spending yesterday cleaning house -- the lifestyle is certainly appealing!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  1:30:30 PM  Show Profile
Your place looks very inviting, Jan. I love that you have the necessary flamingos! You are in Florida after all. It is great to hear that your pain is more manageable.

marilyn, The Dude's ex or whatever she is sounds like someone I'd like to avoid, too. Hope the dinner goes well and that you sit at the opposite end of a very long table from her. Your walkway looks very nice. I like how it meanders.

I got through Mom's dermatology appointment and a visit to the lab for blood and urine tests. Mom had fasted but didn't know that she was supposed to give a urine sample... So, we came back later for that. Always best to make as many trips as possible. I didn't stay while mom was being examined by the dermatologist to respect her privacy. But, I asked to be brought back in to speak about his findings. Next thing, out walks mom. She reported that "he" lasered off to "areas" on her face. WHAT? Turns out, liquid nitrogen was used on two suspicious areas... We'll see how next year's visit is handled.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  4:42:41 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 7:33:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  5:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Jan, love your 5th wheel. I would love to live in one. Just need money and a hitch. I have never pulled anything before so that is my biggest hurtle. Well, plus the money part. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Marilyn, I have a feeling you will do just fine with the ex. I'm waiting for the story though. You do such a wonderful job of entertaining us with your writing skills.

Mar, I apologize to my kids on a regular basis for how I'm probably going to be some day. Hopefully they will have wives as patient as you.

GG, Texas will be selling water to California before long. I can just read it now, water pipeline to California. Who needs oil!

Used up all my spoons and then some today. I have two pet sitting jobs and one requires dog waking up hills. I'm dead on my feet, but glad for the exercise.

I'm seam ripping jeans tonight and waiting for more "Solvy" plastic for scarves. That is what it is called.

Treated myself to Taco Bell and a Pepsi. Haven't had that in a long time. I always have to figure out what to do for dinner when I pet sit at someone's house.

Later all!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  6:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, even when you are tired, you are still working on the creative sewing. I just want to vegetate. That's why I have so many pins. Too tired to do anything else. The jeans and scarves are such a nice addition to what you do. Sewing on jeans must give your machine a workout. And a lot of needles.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  06:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Bunny -- the jeans are too cute. I am with G--your mind is so creative, that has to be exhausting!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  07:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, my biggest problem is my energy can't keep up with my imagination. I use to last until well into the night creating things. Now I'm good until about 4pm then it has to fit in my lap after that.
But sometimes I'm too tired to even watch TV.

I have to say having a job is really cramping my style! Lol. I now have two days to do all the things my little brain can come up with.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly