doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  05:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Send it this way Steph, we're dyin down here. Our lucky neighbors are in Colorado for the month. Texas is no place to be in August.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile
Bunny -- I had a SIL who was quite quite large and did not take care to keep herself tidy (two COMPLETELY separate things), and always wanted me to sew for her. Instead of choosing things that would be flattering on her size and body type, she would choose whatever the skinniest little tiny-bottomed person on the TV was wearing that season. We are all of the age to remember (okay, I am of that age) the horrible Qiana knit fabric????? It was so new, new, new and shiny, shiny, shiny and slippery as you-know-what to try to sew with!! The sewing machine people all came out with special needles to help us deal with it. Getting it to lie still on the cutting board was an adventure in new curse words and this was back when I was a preacher's wife, so I was at quite the disadvantage, I can tell you.

So she comes to me with a pattern for a dress for a big fancy important business dinner for my brother's job. It was one of those horrid "wear it seven ways" (and it won't look good in any of them) wrap dresses from the late 70s-early 80s and she had bought a horrible pinky-grey Qiana. I tried to hint gently that it might drape "oddly" and not really look as good on her as something more "classic" would, but she was determined. So I made the dress. She wore the dress. It looked dreadful. (I saw the pictures) But maybe in her mind she looked lovely and sophisticated (and maybe tiny-bottomed?), so I guess it was a success.

I know that sometimes I get dressed in the morning and when I get a look at myself accidentally in a store window, I am shocked!!!! How did my Grandma get here??? Another nice thing about being "of a certain age" is that we wear whatever we please and just don't care if other people like it or not.

We got to town a little early today, so I had a nice walk and had time to stop at the drugstore for a couple of things. I go through so much baby powder in this sticky weather -- is that a legitimate addiction? Got my coffee and back here to the office so that I can sit here and stew. His Dudeness is having his recall appointment with the urologist this morning. We are hoping that he will say "no prostate cancer, go away and never come back." Of course we are worrying that he will say something entirely different. I would love to have gone with to this appointment, because after he gets his results, Dude was anxious to tell the doc how unhappy he was with the whole procedure -- him being 40 minutes late to the appointment, the tech knocking all the specimens onto the floor, how the doc came into their first appointment thinking he was a different patient. It has not been a happy experience, and we are both anxious to have it over with. Even if he does need to keep seeing a urologist, I can very nearly guarantee that it will not be this one.

I know that worrying will not help. I know that. I am trying like mad to think only positive thoughts, but the waiting is yucky. Several years ago, I bought a little sterling and mother-of-pearl ring when I was on a lovely vacation with a lovely friend. It was our last day together and we went shopping for a little ring to remind me to keep my head on straight. I put that ring on when the Dude went in for his biopsy and I have been wearing it ever since, turning it on my finger and thinking nice pink happy thoughts whenever I see it. Call it a talisman. Call it superstition. Call me for dinner. But I am anxious to hear good news.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  06:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Good news -- best news -- all wonderful news -- I think I shall go dance!!!!!!!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Yea Marilyn. Don't forget the water hose. Hugs to you and your Dude.

You are our mystery woman. You have mentioned trophy wife and ministers wife. . ?
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:10:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  09:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Holly! OMG!!! What wonderful picture books you sent for me to give to Vonisha. I know she will love them. She sometimes holds back on her excitement and delight. I hope these will drawn her out. I will have to make you something really nice for Christmas this year.

Damn straight! I wear whatever I choose and sometimes say the most outrageous things in my cute sweet voice. People just look at me and say "Okay?". <snicker> I love to mess with people. I don't quite look like my grandmother. I can see her creeping in at the edges.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  10:38:07 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:10:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  11:08:59 AM  Show Profile
Ahhhh -- the infamous water hose. Yes, indeed!

To clear things up -- I was married at 16 to my high school sweetheart (and father of my daughter). When we got older, he got religion and became a minister -- that's also when I was working as a missionary. We were married for 15 years (which I didn't think was too bad for being married that young). I then married a guy about 10 years older than myself and assumed the role of hostess, charming conversationalist, party-giver and party-goer, community servant, etc., etc., etc., and trophy wife. We split up after 23 years and I moved here to SE Pennsylvania. Met His Dudeness at our Rotary Club and the rest is silly silly history!

Oh I can't tell you how relieved we are to have good results from that prostate biopsy. I haven't been breathing for the past two weeks.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  12:52:50 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 1:23:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile
G -- I hope you will share pix of your watercolors. I can see colors, but I just canNOT translate them to paper. I do lots of pen and ink and some pencil sketches. I work in all kinds of fiber -- fabrics, yarns, etc., but painting with colors of any kind is a mystery to me and I am always impressed by the mystical people who can do it! I hope the water colors make a nice change for you. My daughter recently painted Thing 2's bedroom while he was away at camp and found an additive to put in the paint so that it wouldn't smell so strongly of latex. It really was nice! She only put half the packet in each gallon, but it was pleasant -- no stronger than clean laundry or something. His room is so small that she didn't want to keel over while she was painting in there in the summer heat.

I signed up for Sock Sniper on Ravelry yesterday. I haven't competed in a sock knitting tourney for about three years, so I am excited for this one. It is a fund raiser for Doctors Without Borders. We don't start knitting until September 1, so I will be back from my travels then. We are going to take a little road trip down to the Carolinas in a week or so and then going up to Alaska for a week at the end of the month. We will get back just in time for me to cast on. Woot!

I'm not sure I have another marriage in me. This is working out so well without the legal crap.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  6:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I now think I might have missed something growing up. We never had spam. I have had it at church luncheons or Girl Scout events. I have never served it here at home either. I do like s**** on a shingle. I like corned beef and fried eggs. It is sort of comfort food.

You do have your work cut out for you in that community garden. I looked at the pics and thought tall grass. Sometimes tall grass is easier to pull than shorter weeds. makes a lot of compost. shows progress. can you tell I have experience with tall plants in large quantities.

I hope V does like the books. When she is getting close to finishing them let me know and I will send some more. Reading is so important. Self esteem is so important. Lifting up one little girl is so important. Maybe we can.

It took dsC and I about an hour and a half to pull one wind blown tree out of the woods because it was stuck behind its stump and ten minutes to cut it up.

YOu are all wonderful.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  9:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Marilyn, yay for the good news for the Dude! Glad you can both rest easy on the health issue.

Steph, wow, the garden looked like quite a job. Mow it all down and get a bunch of strawbales and do the garden in strawbales. If you follow the directions ( like I did not!) you could have a much easier time of it. Google strawbales gardening.

G, sorry about the irises. They just remind me of my witch of a grandmother whose name was iris. Now, my other grandmother who I loved dearly was named Lillian. So lilies would be more my style. Her favorite flowers were lilies of the valley and California poppies.

Things are a bit slow at work so I'm down to three days a week for a while. That just gives me more time to sew for my store. I told my boss not to worry. Although we might have a few big contracts in for hospital gowns. So that could change soon. I am going to teach two beginning sewing classes. That will be decent money so will make up for some of the time too.

Holly, I have not forgotten you. I have a project in mind to make for you. I just haven't had the time. Maybe with four days off I a row I can get to work on what I want to make for you.

Well, time for bed. Nite all!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  06:06:29 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. I have to say it WAS a relief to lie down in bed next to my Dude last night and not think about "what if" stuff all night. Not that it changes the random nature of life, but we are both glad that he won't have to face this particular illness.

Even with the happy happy news we got yesterday, he is in a MOOD this morning! Warpath kind of mood. One of the parts houses sent the whole wrong exhaust system (that was actually supposed to be here yesterday afternoon, anyway) for his daughter's car. He wanted to get it running so she could use it while she's in town visiting. She got in late yesterday afternoon. Lucky he had something else on the lot he could let her take, but he's still irked. It's an old car (her college car) and it's getting harder and harder to find parts for them. Sigh.

I added an extra little loop to my walk this morning. Didn't have my meter on me, but I will try to remember to set it tomorrow so I can see how far this new route is. I have been thinking of adding some more distance and this morning I just did. We'll see. My family members all seem to use the "Map My Walk" app, so maybe I will try that one. I love walking and it seems to be the very best exercise for me.

Lots of paper to shuffle this morning. Have a lovely lovely goddess kind of day!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  08:31:53 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:10:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  09:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Steph -- You sound like you are ready to make some big changes! It is exciting to think about when you're ready, isn't it? I admire HOLLY and all the huge work she does on her place, but I will respect her from afar! ha ha ha Farming is hard work, and that's not where I am right now. Our medium-sized garden has been plenty for me this year. And to be raising kids on top of that -- no thank you, I will leave it to my hardy Farmgirl Sister.

Kind of a challenging day here. I have a customer who keeps calling and yelling at me about something that I can't fix, much less from 45 miles away. Then he sends his girlfriend in and she proceeds to tell me what I said on the phone -- hmmmm. I told her that she wasn't a party to my conversation, so she doesn't really have any idea what I said. I explained to her what I DID say to her boyfriend on the phone and she just waved it away as if she couldn't be bothered with silly old truth. She wants...something. We don't have enough information yet to decide what our responsibility is, and boyfriend is not giving us the information. Her last words were that she was going to "get a lawyer." Oh oh oh I truly WISH she would. All the attorneys I know can read.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:11:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  3:02:42 PM  Show Profile
Short & sweet.My computer needs a new mother. Board that is. Cheaper than buying a new computer and the guy says my laptop is still pretty hood. So I will probably get some of my Christmas money early to help pay for the bills I have coming up. Like license fee and property tax. Strange how the value of my house goes down but taxes go up. Such is life in the brokest state in the Union. My blood pressure was very low yesterday but seems normal today. My dr.said to stay hydrated and go to the er if it gets too low.it was 80/60. It rained yesterday and my window didn't leak! Hope your day is good. Simple things mean a lot. Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  5:49:24 PM  Show Profile
All the work you gals are doing just overwhelms me. On the other hand, I'm remodeling two houses. That's overwhelming too. I'm so tired tonight.

Steph, you will take a little packet of pills 15 minutes before breakfast and again 15 minutes before dinner. No big deal. Just stay close to home for 3-4 days.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  6:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Bunny I am not worried. I know that when I need a happy surprise the most one will arrive in the mail box like magic.

I think I a stronger physically this year than I have ever been. I can carry a five gallon bucket of soured milk out to the pigs with out stopping to rest. I work steady not fast. Plod along. I am glad I am where I am. I think Marilyn that raising children during menopause is probably not an ace idea but it is what it is. The boys are better off here than where they were but geez I could use a bit more patience and a much bigger sense of humor when it comes to the stupid boy things they do.

Bummer about the motherboard. My sister's blood pressure used to be very low like yours, Cindy. Then she gave my brother a kidney and it rose to normal ranges. I hope you do not get dizzy or pass out from it.

Better you than me Marilyn dealing with the poor sots who come in trying to manipulate you. I have so little patience for people who should have sense and don't.

There will be a book swap here in town in a few weekends. I have started to clean out the books. Three boxes so far. The littles are worried that I am getting rid of all their books. They surreptitiously walk by the boxes and glance in to see what has gone in. We have hundreds of books. After a week or so in the boxes they won't even remember what went. I won't have rubbermaid containers of books in the hall or book cases overflowing.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  06:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- I love the idea of a book swap! My neighbor and I have been talking about having our "menfolk" build us a library box -- just a little trading library for our street. We live out in the country on a long cul-de-sac with 16 or 17 houses on it. We think it would be a great idea. She is willing to use part of their front yard for it. That may have to be our fall/winter project. And, just saying -- "You are a better man that I, Gunga Dinh." I can't even IMAGINE raising kids -- let alone little boys -- during menopause. It was all I could do to get myself functional sometimes. You have my admiration and thanks, for sure.

G -- Some of us are still working at jobs or whatever, but remodeling two houses is certainly nothing to sneeze at -- unless you are allergic to paint and drywall dust! ha ha ha We have taken a break from our remodel (only one house!) this summer. The time off has let me settle a little bit and now I am beginning to be anxious to get back at it and get the downstairs done. The last bit hurdle is getting the floor installed. Then all the finishing up can be done. It will be awfully nice when it's done. And now that we are not worried about Dude's health, it sounds like a lot more fun.

Cindy -- Good thing you have a tech person. My oldest brother was always my hardware guy and my baby brother was for software, but now I live 2800 miles from Bro Hardware and Bro Software lives in Japan, so that actually IS the other side of the world. ha ha. Thank goodness we have Facetime, etc. If you can get away with "just" the motherboard, that is a bonus. Dude is trying to decide whether to take the little notebook he uses (it was his daughter's when she was in college -- shiny pink, like everything else she had) and have our tech guy empty it out so there's more memory available or just get an iPad. He's been using an iPhone for years, so I think he would be happier with the iPad. He got me one for Christmas and I don't think I've used my laptop more than a couple of times since. It really does pretty much everything I need, except if I'm doing some production typing. I have a plug-in keyboard for that.

I tracked my new walk this morning and it's just at 1.5 miles. I would like to walk farther, but there's just no time at the beginning of the day when we get to town. Maybe when the weather cools off a little I can do an additional walk at noontime. I sure miss my walks when I don't get them. We will be going to Alaska the end of this month, and the kids have planned some hiking days for us. I am really looking forward to that! When we go out to Homer, they are going to be camping, but they got us a room at a hotel -- thank you very much! I think we will all be a lot happier that way.

So I guess it's time to get going on Friday. Usually lots of people in to make payments -- should keep me occupied. I got the operating accounts all balanced and put away for July yesterday, so that felt good.

Have a sweet and sunny (but not too hot) Friday, Sisters.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  07:32:29 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:11:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  11:55:01 AM  Show Profile
Happy Purging, Steph.

G, you are amazing at the house painting. I try not to trip and spill while dh paints, and I don't do THAT well even!

Bunny, enjoy your short break from work and create, create, create!

Holly, way to go with the slow, but sure wins the race attitude. I bet you have some muscles rippling under your shirt. Five gallons of milk must weigh more than water which would be at least forty pounds! I would have trouble letting go of favorite books as a kid, too. They aren't thinking of all the new ones that will be coming their way!

Marie, how nice for V that she has a great surprise coming.

marilyn, I am so sorry I have been absent for these days when you got your fantastic news. What a tremendous relief. You almost don't know whether you can believe it, right? You had yourself so steeled to hear the worst.

Steph, I think your community garden project is going to be so cool. It will be good to start now so that next year when everyone is raring to go you will know exactly what to ask them to do! I think dh and I will eventually end up in a condo or something along those lines once we decide this acreage living is kicking our butts.

I have been just keeping my head above water lately. Day in and day out. Chores in the morning, followed by things to do in the afternoon and evening duties. You all know what I mean. I got a great book from the library by one of my favorite authors. I have read six pages. AGGGGHHH. Ijust want to bury my head in it and pretend the rest of these things don't matter.

dnA has had a few difficult days that she wanted to talk about. Her visits have been lengthy lately. School starts in a month. She is looking forward to it. I do hope sixth grade will be kind to her...

dh has been my only husband... He is only six years older, so I don't completely qualify as a Trophy Wife, but I could make a case for it!

mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  12:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Mar -- Maybe he was just lucky and won first place right from the get-go!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  1:14:18 PM  Show Profile
More like "third times the charm"... I am number three. 18 years old, 22 years old and then me at the ripe old age of 29. sad, but ancient history as we just celebrated 30 years.
mar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page