True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  10:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Iris Goddesses:

I am still bleeding. It has been a month. My doctor prescribed me a different, stronger estrogen which I will take for a few days. I will email him and ask what the next step is if this doesn't work.

Steph - I have some ideas. Promote a big meeting of anyone who wants to sign up to work the garden. Let them know that to get a box of food, they must work 2 hours per month in the garden. To encourage them to work more, tell them that for every documented hour over the requirement, they can get a $5 gift card or coupon from a local store. (This will take some persuading of the local stores and I think they will jump at this chance.) At this same meeting have a country extension agent or someone from the local university or college to make an educational presentation and answer questions. Have lots of good homemade dishes available to sample made with the kinds of vegetables that will be grown in the garden and provide recipe cards. Get donations from local businesses for tools, seeds and/or money. To solve the verification problem, get some tech person to give you advice. I'll call my brother and see what he says. He has a computer business that can do this sort of thing. I wish I was there to help you out.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  5:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening Iris Goddess sisters.

Today was a pleasant day. It started out cool enough that I took the tractor into the woods to cut off and drag out a clump of windfall trees for fire wood. They are probably ice encrusted fallen trees. We had those nasty ice storms last December that did a number on many trees. Maybe tomorrow I can drag out another one. I do not like to sweat so much it drips off me so I am torn between wanting to push to get all the wood in and wanting to avoid being soaked. DdK says the weather guessers are predicting an especially cold nasty winter.

Cindy I am glad you are not seriously hurt. I am sorry you fell. It is so disconcerting when that happens. Glad you connected with your cousin.

Steph, You are clever. Maybe have a dinner at the end of the season and give out prizes. Sell t shirts to involve the membership. Marie has some good ideas. You will do a great job.

G I am not sure where to buy seeds to plant in the fall that will grow when the days are shorter. I have seen some but can not remember where. i know you will have a great time in the garden. Counting down to Scotland. The drama group from the local high school left yesterday to go to Edinborough for a theater competition. They fund raised for 18 months to go.

Marie I am so sorry that you are still bleeding. Maybe it is the last hurrah for your uterus.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  6:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Whew.It wasn't as hot today as its been,only 85 degrees:( but I still worked up a sweat. Holly, wish I lived in New England during the summer. I mowed part of the yard and whacked small trees with my machete. Still need to water plants in pots outside.I am washing towels right now. Want to do some more canning and need clean dish towels. I felt silly when I fell--kept thinking it would be my luck for a car to run over me as I lay there on the asphalt. Steph--tell volunteers that they can opt for a non-strenuous job such as handing out the produce. Some people with heart or lung conditions can't do the weeding. Or they can help with the planning or finances. Still using my Nook. Will take my laptop to a place tomorrow. Sigh. There goes more $$$ that I don't have yet. Glad I don't buy meat at the store--I'd have to buy something like spam to fit my budget. What does spam stand for anyway.something phony and mushy? Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  6:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Holly we grow cold weather plants that do not like the heat. Lettuce, broccoli, greens, chard, potatoes. We set garlic out in October for harvesting next spring. We can plant onions by the end of January for spring onions. We can have Rosemary and most other herbs year round except for basil. I'll let you know what works.

Marie, I hope your doctor is on it and ruled out anything serious. It's a huge relief to be done with all that. I don't miss cramps.
Sorry you are going through it But maybe it's like Holly says, your uterus having one last goodbye fling.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  8:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Marie--has your dr. checked for uterine fibroids? They can bleed if not removed. Usually they are harmless,just very annoying. I know it can be very worrisome. Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  9:44:10 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I got this off a couple websites.

There are some questions that continually plague man over time. Questions like 'Is there intelligent life beyond Earth?' And 'What is the meaning of the SPAM brand name?' Unfortunately, we can provide answers to neither. The significance of the SPAM brand name has long been a subject of speculation. One popular belief says its derived from the words 'spiced ham.' Others suggest its an acronym for 'shoulders of pork and ham.' The real answer is known by only a small circle of former Hormel Foods executives. And probably Nostradamus.

And this off another . . .

First, let's get the ingredients out of the way. SPAM is chopped pork shoulder meat with ham, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite. Unless, that is, it's SPAM Lite, in which case there's also some chicken thrown in there. Or SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey, which includes (we assume) turkey and is suitable for Muslims.

SPAM was invented in the late-Depression era, in 1937, which may explain at least some of why it seemed like a good idea: people were desperate. According to Nikita Khrushchev's book, Khrushchev Remembers, SPAM was a godsend for another hungry group Russian soldiers in World War II. For a further illustration of how bad things were, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher " who we really, really can't imagine eating SPAM reportedly once referred to it as a "wartime delicacy."

And what does "SPAM" " sorry, we have to capitalize it that way, Hormel says so " actually stand for? Despite convincing evidence, it doesn't stand for "something posing as meat." The company's official explanation is that it's short for "spiced ham," but that wasn't always its party line. Hormel has also stated in the past that the name stands for "shoulder of pork and ham," although we can sort of understand why it wouldn't necessarily want to drive home the whole "shoulder" thing today. The name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, an actor who received the $100 prize in a contest Hormel had sponsored. Conveniently, he just happened to be the brother of a Hormel vice president. We think there's just a little too much mystery in this mystery meat. Then again, SPAM has sold over 6 billion cans, and what have we done lately?

And if you really want some fun, check this site out.

http://web.mit.edu/jync/www/spam/S.P.A.M.html

I emailed my doctor about some worrisome things I read about Premarin. I also asked him what happens next if this doesn't work. Thank you Iris Goddesses for all your help. My mother had a hysterectomy in her 40's and my sister was cleaned out because of fibroids. I really have no one to turn to about this . . . except you.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile
SPAM is a major staple in Hawaiian culture -- I think the fact that it doesn't need refrigeration has made it popular for all the things that Marie mentioned above.

There are days when I wonder if there is intelligent life ON earth, actually.

I love my days off (Saturday, Sunday and Monday), but I sure miss the Iris Goddesses! Then I got to work this morning and there has been lots of paper to sort through (end-of-month) and lots of phone calls. I had my walk uptown for the first time in almost a week. It has been too too humid and I don't like to start my workday sweaty.

Still lots of paper I need to shuffle, but I had to stop in and try to catch up. I made another batch of Mary Jane's cornbread biscuits -- this time I had the black bean ones and I added jalapeno peppers (from our embarrassingly fecund garden) and bacon. Oh my goodness! I think I should have put in some cheese, but I was sort of juggling at the time and missed it out. I have some Chill-Over powder -- have any of you used it and do you have favorite recipes? The key lime pie in the "Big Book of Mary Jane" looks enticing.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile
G, I saw this and thought of you and B and your dancing lessons!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Not that you are senior citizens, just that you will be someday. Like when you are about 90! Lol.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Got another custom order for a size 30 dress. What the hell!!! How do these ladies pick me? At least with custom it is not refundable or exchangeable. I guess that is my niche. Can't get away from it as most of the custom I do is for size 20 and up. I better just get use to it and be thankful I get orders.

I did sell one of my bustle jackets (size 20) this weekend and another dress in a size 3X.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Well, you are doing something right for this segment, Bunny. And it is a segment that is used to being charged a premium for anything with some style. Good luck, custom is not fun.

So happy to have a break from the heat! Got the windows wide open and think the watering wasn't a waste of time today! At least it hasn't already evaporated.

Found another good series to watch - The Newsroom. Has anyone watched it? We have enjoyed the first five episodes, so far.

Things are pretty calm around here lately. Got to see dd on Saturday and that was really pleasant. She and boyfriend went down to see the Redbull flying machine competition over the Williamette river. The crowds were too much for them and they left before the Coast Guard shut the whole thing down because commercial traffic was being interrupted along the river.

mar
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  11:14:10 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:12:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  11:31:07 AM  Show Profile
I love us. We crack me up!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  11:41:01 AM  Show Profile
Iris Goddesses,

Here is some eye candy for you all. I found this fine specimen in the backyard spray painting a door.

He is one of my neighbors, Andrew.

He is a shaman and has a two year old boy named Sage.

He made the skirt himself out of scraps of other stuff he has made.

I just like looking at him. rawr!!!

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  12:39:34 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 07:50:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 1:20:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  1:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I think lots of kids like SPAM because it is so salty/sweet. We used to take it backpacking, of course, because you can't kill it -- not sure if it is organic! ha ha Actually, we used to have it for breakfast -- sliced and fried with pancakes or eggs. Us kids thought it was a treat. My mother used to fry bologna -- we ate a LOT of bologna growing up. One year, when I was a child-bride and we was po, I took a piece of chunk bologna and scored it in diamonds, put cloves and brown sugar and some pineapple on it and that was our Thanksgiving "ham." No matter how prettily I sliced it -- we knew it was bologna!!! ha ha ha Fun times as young marrieds, though.

I had an interesting experience after moving here to SE PA. I was raised by Hoosiers -- mostly we lived out in Washington State, but eventually moved back to Indiana when I was in high school. They have some interesting little vocabulary quirks there. For instance, what the rest of us call a green pepper, the southern Indiana Hoosiers called a mango. When I was a kid and people talked about some tropical fruit flavor with mango in it, I just thought it sounded disgusting, because the "mangoes" I knew were green peppers, and I could not imagine putting them into anything sweet, like a dessert. So as I grew up, I learned that there were different names regionally for different foods. Well, the Senior Center here in my little town does a sandwich and soup lunch every now and then. You can eat there or take them home, and they usually offer several choices of sandwich and a couple of soups. One time His Dudeness came in with a couple of lunches from over there and I chose the ham salad. It was really yummy, and I got to looking at it and saw that they had made it out of actual ham!!! I was astonished!!! I grew up on Hoosier ham salad, which is bologna ground up in the big old cast iron clamp-it-to-the-breadboard grinder, boiled eggs, sweet pickles, etc. I said something to His Dudeness about the ham salad being made of actual ham and he looked at me like I had antennae. I got on facebook and asked people to weigh in --- ham vs bologna in ham salad -- and not surprisingly, all my Hoosier cousins and schoolmates were bologna and everyone else was ham. Huh? Who knew?

But back around to G's old MIL -- the SPAM salad sounds pretty good and I bet with a bowl of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup, it would made a good lunch!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  1:38:49 PM  Show Profile
I just asked and he posed. He is an incredibly nice guy and I can talk to him about absolutely anything.

I take guilty pleasure in eating SPAM and cocktail wieners. I used to love fried SPAM. They are too salty for me now. Hormel is headquartered in Austin MN so it is a home town treat.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:13:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  2:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, now you've done it! Fried bologna? Who doesn't like that? And throw a few slices on the grill while its heating up. I LOVED bologna sandwiches on white bread when I was a kid. We hardly ever got sandwiches. I will say my mom was strict about giving us good healthy food so it was a rare treat to get a hamburger or a sandwich. No cokes until we were 12 years old-she was convinced it would stunt our growth. Rarely we would get an orange crush or a grapette.

Of course now I won't eat any of that stuff, haven't had a good chili cheese dog in years. Maybe that's why I don't wear a 3X. Last time I cheated with Krispy creme doughnuts I was sick for three days. So much for the good ole days.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  4:13:26 PM  Show Profile
When I first took dh home to meet the folks, we went out to eat lunch at a local tavern. They served a special everyday, and that was it, unless you wanted a steak. So my mom, dad and I all ordered the fried hot dog sandwich. dh leaned to me and asked, "What's a fried hotdog sandwich?" Well, it is self-explanatory, so he just said, "nevermind" and said he have one, too. Yep. Delicious. A bit thicker than bologna.
mar
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  6:43:35 PM  Show Profile
I am Spam.Spam I am. Eat me with green eggs and ham.There used to be alate night call-in show on the radio with Jim White and one night he read an excerpt from "Stalking the Wild Spam". Some guy called in and said he had no idea that Spam were real animals.Spam:some people are morons.Here in the St. Louis area we created fried ravioli. I think dancing with a garden hose is a great idea. You can twirl it like a lasso while dose-doeing.Actually dancing for joy is something I did when I wax young but seem to have misplaced somewhere along the way. Thank you for the picture of the hunky neighbor. I took my blood pressure when I got off work and it was 98/57.That is low even for me. No wonder I felt tired all day. Hope I can sleep tonight as I feel more alert now than I have all day. Creatures of the night,as Jim White used to say. Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  6:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Lol, I love how we all get going on a subject. Mothers, hair and now Spam and fried baloney. I grew up on Spam myself. Loved it fried of course. My dad was I. The navy and I think we ate all kinds of interesting things because of that. SOS...S&$t on a shingle. It was actually chipped beef in a white sauce. I use to love creamed tuna on toast. Can't swallow it anymore. Canned corn beef hash with fried eggs. Of course baloney sandwiches were a staple. (Santa got one with a Coors beer at Christmas with peanut butter cookies.)

I really don't mind making larger sizes. I just stress with custom things because if they don't like it...too bad. No refunds. The style dress she wants doesn't look good on large sizes. I told her so but she insisted that was what she wanted. So that's what I will make.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly