True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  5:19:10 PM  Show Profile
That sounds great, bunny.

Holly, I can imagine that ddK has decided to be a vegetarian! She is a great kid to help and not just "take a stand." It sounds like it was a busy day.

On our walk with dnA yesterday, we stopped a picked a few pears on a tree that was really loaded. The fruit was pretty tired, so the skin was thick. But, since the intended "diner" is Sunny, he won't mind the imperfection.

I found out something that was very surprising to me...Goodwill, Industries is a company owned by one man. It has nothing to do with charity and doesn't help people who are struggling. I used to donate my no-longer-needed items to Goodwill. Now,I will only donate to Salvation Army. The head guy of SA gets free housing and earns $13k a year. The Goodwill guy makes about 2.3 million dollars a year. He gets his product given to him, sells it, while employing people at minimum wage. Just ranting.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  5:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Mar, I have had that rant for years now. But no one believes me. It is even worse. They claim to hire people with disabilities. But what they do is compare their ability with an a abled body person and then pay a percentage. So if an able body person making $10.00 an hour can do a job in one hour..they earn $10.00. But the disabled person does the same work and it takes two hours...they get $5.00 an hour. A lady said her blind husband was working there and only making .88 an hour. Quite the scam. Plus the items are really expensive.

There is a thrift store in town called St. Vinnies. It use to be Staint Vincent De Paul a charity organization. St.Vinnies is privately owned. Not a charity. Another scam. However, I don't have many choices. I don't go to Goodwill. But I do go to St. Vinnies. I have no choice. There is a Salvation Army in town and I always go there first.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  5:55:58 PM  Show Profile
I had no idea. So I won't be giving anything else to Goodwill.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  8:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Hmm,it's Mers Goodwill, not even Goodwill anymore. And I've never seen a disabled person working there. Mostly college students trying to earn extra credit. And if you donate an *expensive*item it gets sent to a store in a more upscale community.
Holly--how many chickens did you do in? I am trying to eat a mostly plant based diet but I love my dairy. I discovered Steve's southern banana pudding ice cream at our coop. It's decadent and half the price of Ben &Jerry's.
Marilyn--I finally told my credit union that I've had it with them.I was charged an overdraft fee cause my paycheck of two weeks ago was messed up by my employer. She said the C.U.wouldn't take back the overdraft fee and my employer should pay it. They've agreed me so many times before. I told her,firmly but calmly, that the C.U. was greedy and only dated about making a profit whether it was legitimate or not. I said this as I was leaving, just loud enough for people to hear me. Then I called my old university credit union and said I was coming in on Monday to start achecking account. My paycheck will go to the new one and I'll gradually phase out the old.
Bunny--yes you need to take a break from sewing now and then to recharge your creative batteries.
G--I hope I'm still as feisty as you twenty years from now. I have a friend who is 85 and still feisty.seems like the older I get the more WTF enters my vocabulary. But in a good way. A tree falls on my car? wTF! Now Ican get new wheels!!!!
Mar--I know the horses will like the treats no matter how they look. I hope your MIL is doing well.
I'm typing this on my nook so it's a little messy. Feels like fall here and I love it. Nighty-night,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  8:18:56 PM  Show Profile
That was supposed to say they've screwed me so many times before. I wasthinking of "greed" and somehow got messed up. I hate typing on this thing. And I have no idea where the "dated" comes from. I'm a mess tonight. Friday. Beenworking too hard.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  8:33:08 PM  Show Profile

feist·y
#712;f#299;st#275;/
adjectiveinformal
(of a person, typically one who is relatively small or weak) lively, determined, and courageous.
"a feisty heroine who's more than a pretty face"
synonyms: spirited, spunky, plucky, gutsy, gutty, ballsy
"the part of Annie called for a just-so balance of adorable and feisty"
touchy and aggressive.
"he got a bit feisty and tried to hit me"
Origin
late 19th century: from earlier feist, fist ‘small dog,’ from fisting cur or hound, a derogatory term for a lapdog, from Middle English fist ‘break wind.’ Compare with fizzle.
Translate feisty to
Use over time for: feisty

Edited by - doll58maker on Oct 07 2015 8:16:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  9:37:11 PM  Show Profile
I didn't mean feisty as an insult. To me, feisty means having an inner fire that no one can touch. Yes, you are all the things you mentioned and I'm sorry you felt insulted. I am insightful, honest, determined and dangerous. And I strive to be feisty.
cindy

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  9:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Actually what I'm trying to say here is: age does not have a damned thing to do with it.

Edited by - doll58maker on Oct 02 2015 9:42:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  9:42:41 PM  Show Profile
And I hope we all keep that inner fire as long as we live.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  9:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Cindy, I'm not insulted! Never!

Dangerous? That's a good one- I may have to borrow that one for myself.

Now, everybody jump on the bandwagon. What are you?
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  10:08:00 PM  Show Profile
I like the part about "breaking wind". That was me today. I blame it on cheese.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  11:34:07 PM  Show Profile
I strive to be like G, too. And there's no time like the present.

Let's see, I'm excitable, educated, creative, compassionate, klutzy, kind, fun and a force of nature.
Mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  05:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Do we have to choose just one adjective? Hmmm, let's see.....I will be

Loving, vocal, energetic, self-directed, independent, interested and interesting, productive, unapologetic

This is actually a very good exercise.

I slept in. Might go back and sleep some more. Dark rainy and windy this morning. Or maybe stay in my jammies and knit

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  08:27:08 AM  Show Profile
I'll try this. I am . . .

humble, charming, generous, tolerant, empathic, compassionate, committed, enthusiastic, honest.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I guess I am: creative, sensitive,spiritual, rebellious,assertive, easily distracted, introverted, constantly curious, low self esteem, round peg fighting to stay out of a square hole. I'm bipolar and ADHD with fibromyalgia. In other wards I usually wear myself out spinning circles around my creative thoughts.

Going to pick up my truck today. I hope they remembered to disconnect the batteries so they doing get drained. If they forgot...God help them.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  09:51:33 AM  Show Profile
Now, now Bunny. Only positive adjectives.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  09:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Just keeping it real.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  11:24:36 AM  Show Profile

We ALL. Are interesting. To say the least. That's the best thing

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 01 2015 8:20:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  11:41:37 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 3:53:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  12:02:10 PM  Show Profile
I almost bought some bright teal colored yarn this morning at the community garage sale. Then I felt Holly slapping my hands and saying, no, no, G--you already got a barn full of stuff--it brought me back to my senses--I did buy a red hat (3$) just in case I want to join the red hat society, a nice cloth shopping bag, $1. Two really nice smocks with long sleeves and front pockets so I can wear good clothes to the paint studios. And I won't need a sweater. They were $4 each. And then a white cotton top and pants from Mexico - big and loose and cool - I'm thinking pjs. That was $10. B found a big box full of CDs of mostly classical music. $5. Must be at least 50 CDs. It was someone's wonderful music collection. We will participate in the next one. . My neighbor said they have made as much as a thousand dollars--in four hours. it's so big people come from miles away. The stuff is good quality, cheap. it runs from 8 to 12 noon. At 10 am, everything that has not sold goes to half price. I noted what was selling and the prices, so I'll be ready for the next time. They have 2 a year. About 300 booths I would guess. Thousands of people show up with trucks, trailers, wagons. In this community of 7000, about 5 people a day go out feet first and the kids just dump everything. Others like me are downsizing from their big houses and have really great stuff but no room.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  12:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you scored. Don't see you in the Red Hat Society... Jus' sayin'

This week we have our granddog. So, we spent the wee hours of the morning making a run to PDX with dd and boyfriend so that they could make a 7am flight to Hawaii. You all know how much I love Yellow Dog, so it isn't a hardship at all. And dh has been whispering in her ear all morning, "I love having a big dog in the house." We had fun talking last night the four of us and went to bed way too late for a 4:30 alarm... So late that the alarm didn't wake me up. Dh finally said, "Mar, it's 4:30." And actually it was 4:32 by then.

So, I kind of feel hung over...achy, sleep deprived, blurry... I think sometime outside will help clear my head. Hope you all have a great day.
mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Just took a loaf of bread out of the oven. It is grey and windy here, which always makes me want to bake. Been crocheting dishcloths and doing laundry, as well. Dude went out to the widow's place after work to meet the guy who is buying all of Brother's car parts. They are hoping to get it ALL sorted and emptied today. It is wearing him out. So glad there was a man close by who wanted all the parts - an auction would have been a huge deal (or an ordeal, more likely.) I looked in the mailbox early and the Postman hadn't been yet. I haven't been out since I saw him drive by, so I don't know if I am alive or dead. Sigh. I am sitting here being lonesome. Dopey me.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  12:55:24 PM  Show Profile
It's the weather, Marilyn. You feel like being cozy and close in your home with your guy... Hope he gets home soon!

And I hope the postman comes empty handed!
mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Dude's home - soaked and filthy. He is out looking at the garden to see if the rain will have made it easier to spade over. I have never known a man to work like he does. He checked the mail on his way in and I am still alive.

You are right, Mar! I told him I was glad he was home and he said he was, too. That's the best thing there is - happy to be home. He stayed here alone for so many years and I was alone in my marriage for so many - it is wonderful for both of us.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  3:32:51 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Nov 29 2015 3:51:44 PM