Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  1:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday, Holly! I agree, the kids all look very happy.
Ann--praying for you and kids for peace and comfort in God's love.
G--you'll like that golf cart. My uncle had one and would use it to drive to the mailbox--even though it wasn't very far. Men like their toys.
We have had torrential rains here with more to come. Someone today told me we've never had this much rain in such a short period. And in December--flooding in December is unheard of. But not anymore. My attic was leaking around the chimney so I have a container up there to catch the water. We're supposed to have SNOW this time of year, not rain. I read that five people died in a flood-related accident somewhere else in Illinois. I do not like this weird weather. I do not like it, Sam I Am!
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Mel, I second that! Besides, we miss all you lurkers! We need a shout out every once in a while to know you are still kicking!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  2:44:10 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 5:55:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  4:20:35 PM  Show Profile
My finished creation for the day. I think it turned out pretty well. I'm including a link to my shop for all you lurkers out there!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/261769336/womens-plus-size-tunic-top-chili-pepper?ref=shop_home_active_1

I made a fun pocket from a men's flannel shirt sleeve on the side. It even has a little space for your pen.

I had fun today.

It snowed here too. So glad I don't have to go out until tomorrow. I"m meeting with two ladies from the homeowners association that needs a bookkeeper. I think it will keep me busy for a while getting it all set up.

Stay warm everyone. Time for tea!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  5:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Holly, loved your photos. I think you are brilliant to hang your ornaments OFF the tree! I do hope your birthday was a delight and that my greeting card reached you in time.

Bunny, that is nice product for your day's work. Smart to include the link. We haven't seen any snow here, but Portland was dusted.

Mar
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  7:44:52 PM  Show Profile
We had 2" to 4" of heavy wet snow on Saturday. A winter storm watch starts tomorrow. Apparently, it will be pretty bad. I'll have to get out early to go to the bank with my Christmas checks.

There is nothing much happening here. We have been snug in our overly warm apartment. The sidewalk is still icy. I will call them again to put sand down. I do NOT want to fall. I just don't bounce so well anymore.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  8:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I just saw the news. We've had 5-8 inches of rain so far with up to 4 more inches tomorrow. Six people were killed in flash flooding in Missouri. Part of Interstate 70 is CLOSED in St. Charles County in Missouri. This is one of the nations main interstates. The last time I remember it being closed was the flood of '93. We're expecting wind gusts of 30-40 mph tomorrow as well. so trees and power lines will probably come down cause the ground is so saturated. And there were tornadoes in Texas and a blizzard in New Mexico. This weather is freaky. The Earth is warming up and all kinds of disruptions in weather patterns are occurring. So I guess this is the new normal. Kinda makes me shudder.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2015 :  9:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Happy B-day Holly!

Damn I just lost the freakin' post!

Later all......G and Bunny, I am safe and sound the tornado was about 20 miles south east of me!1 Thanx for the concern.

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  01:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Mel--glad you are safe. My brother lives in Frisco but no tornadoes there, either. I just read the paper and this is officially the wettest year on record for the St. Louis area. The rivers (Mississippi and Missouri) are expected to crest at levels just under what they were during the flood of '93, which was the worst flood we've ever had. And it's supposed to get cold, into the 20's, later this week. this is unprecedented. At least the flood of '93 happened when it was warm. I don't know what's going to happen if we have severe flooding and freezing temps. as well. The thing is, I had a feeling at the most recent meeting of my support group, about a week and a half ago, that "something big" was going to happen. I told them that something was going to happen but I didn't know what, just that I felt very uneasy. I guess I would do well to pay attention to those gut feelings.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  12:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Cindy , every time I have ignored that gut feeling I have regretted it. Our subconscious is working all the time. The human part of us seems to require hard evidence, which isn't necessarily there. Also, sometimes we get the answer before we get the question.

Another cold dreary day but I'm not complaining. We are so much better off than so many.

My mom will turn 93 tomorrow. Her body has outlasted her mind. When your body doesn't work right, you know it, but when your mind doesn't work right, everybody knows it but you. I try to remember that and be more patient.

Mel, sorry you lost your post. That is sooooo frustrating when it happens.

Bunny, that is a great looking top you made. I can see the creative juices are flowing.

Everybody have a great day and be happy.

Edited by - doll58maker on Dec 28 2015 12:01:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  12:55:45 PM  Show Profile
The winter storm is about to hit any minute now. It has been said that there will be 6" to 10" of snow right around rush hour. That is the best time for a large storm. I once waited 45 minutes for the regular bus to come pick me up to go the South Dale (the first indoor mall in America) to catch another bus which would take me into downtown Minneapolis from which I could walk home. I had to cross a bridge over I94 East and that was fun. It took me 3 hours to get home when it usually would take an hour. I love living in Minnesota.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Yes, Mar, your card arrived several days before my birthday but I wanted to wait until my birthday to open it. Thank you very much for the clever card. We do sit around the campfire when I go away in September but we sleep in yurts not pup tents. hahhaha, too old for our creaky old bones to sleep on the ground by choice. In a pinch I guess we still could.

I had a very nice birthday. C made seafood lasagna and garlic bread. It is delicious and since she only works that hard once a year to make it it is very special. We have guests and one of them is a 15 year old picky eater whose says to her mom before they arrive. I hope C makes seafood lasagna it is my favorite. Her mom says but you do not like seafood. I know, she replies but I love all the rest of it. ......so she picks out the seafood and gives it to her mother and eats the noodles and cheese. C also made coconut cake with whipped cream frosting. I had the last of it for breakfast this morning.

We had snow last night. The ground has enough on it to look white. Today is the first day of the whole winter to be in the twenties that I remember. We are supposed to get a foot to eighteen inches tomorrow. I hope for feet of the white stuff.

Ida May is not impressed that she is now spending the nights in a stall next to her mother. I however am glad for the 2 gallons of milk in the morning instead of sometimes a half gallon.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2015 :  8:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Ida May may be happier about her stall after a foot or two of snow is on the ground. Or it still may annoy her.

Our two equine are happy to stay in their club house and avoid the days of rain we have had this winter. As soon as it stops, they find the highest and seemingly driest area to take a nice long nap followed by a vigorous roll in the mud.

dnA was very excited on Christmas Eve. She arrived bearing presents for us all. Very thoughtful and explained her reasoning for each. my gift was a very cozy blanket because she knows I like a fuzzy blanket for when I have to rest...

We gave her the game of Sorry. Whenever we play Uno, dnA has great fun when she "gets ya" with a Draw Two card. So, we thought the part of sending your opponent back to the Start of Sorry would be fun for her. She seemed to like it, but having to concentrate on new rules made her tired. We will try it again tomorrow.

Christmas Eve was an especially fun visit with dnA because dd showed up with a present for her. It was a swinging licky ball (I kid you not, that's what it is called) for Tahoe and Sunny. We all trudged out to hang it from a tree and watched and laughed for a long time. Then we came inside and played several rounds of Uno.

It was a great start to the holiday.

Mar

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Dec 29 2015 5:05:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We woke to the ground covered with snow. I heard the plow come up at 5AM. It must have been sanding the roads. It rained, snowed and sleeted all day long. Tai Chi was cancelled tonight because of the potential danger on the roads. I am relieved to have that temptation taken off my plate.

DsR received Trouble for winter Holiday. it must be along the same level as Sorry. DsG received Yahtzee and was more than upset when his brother beat him. DsC has an uncanny knack for winning. I do not play memory games with him anymore. DsC rolled two Yahtzees in one game. We often adapt the rules for the younger set so the game goes quicker with less needing to be rational.

A swinging licky ball for the horses sound like an amusing item for the humans to watch the horses be frustrated. Good for dd to have a sense of humor. Glad you all had a good time.

The littles have been watching Home Alone 3 over and over. I have had to explain that adults made the stunts for the young boy to look like he set them up. It is a hard concept for them to grasp when they want to set up a gag themselves. They want me to go and buy fireworks and gunpowder to make a lot of noise.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2015 :  10:32:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad people elsewhere got snow. I wish we would get some. We are in severe flood mode again. There have been mudslides. An 86 ton boulder slid down the bluff and crashed into someone's house. Luckily he only had minor injuries. My brother from Indiana came here for Christmas, the he drove to Texas to visit my brother there. He left Texas early this morning, drove through Oklahoma, into Missouri, then, since sections of I-44 were under water, he drove north to Kansas City and came down I-70 to St. Louis, avoiding any flood delays. He was very tired when he arrived at my parents' house. I hope he gets a good night's sleep cause he's driving back to Indiana in the morning. My back isn't hurting as much since I did those yoga exercises. But now my shoulders hurt. I rubbed arnica cream on them and it seems to help.
Holly--I remember playing all those games. I used to play Chutes and Ladders with my little brother cause I knew I could always beat him. I guess I was kind of mean, he he he.
Mar--I bet the horses enjoy the swinging licky ball. Jaxon has a Jolly Ball that he likes to play with.
Stay dry wherever you be.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile
We got almost sixteen inches of rain this month. Usually, we should get four to six inches in December. The snow pack is at 145% of normal and the skiers are happy. Mt. Hood looks majestic and foreboding. Even flat topped Mt St Helens looks sparkly.

Tomorrow,I will have a Quick visit from dd. We are swapping out things we have gathered for each other and she is bringing their Christmas decorations here to store.

Holly, I forgot to mention how pretty ddK's hair looked in the photo. Your littles looked like you had better take that photo NOW! They had something better to be doing. I bet they are enjoying the snow. I remember how it always tired them out so nicely.

I am so excited to have a wide open calendar for projects. I don't have any deadlines for getting anything (project wise) done and I can enjoy the process of picking out something frivolous to work on!

When I first started to suffer from arthritis in my thumbs, it started in my non dominant hand. I've read this is the usual course it takes. I experienced significant pain, kind of cramping and aching, decreased ability to make a pinching motion and decreased strength. As the non dominant hand started to subside, the dominant hand started and followed the same course. Then I experienced several years of relative relief, although the decreased mobility and strength remained. The pain was much more bearable. My understanding was that the joint that was affected had probably somewhat fused itself due to inactivity, which provided the relief. SO, I am boring you all with this because....my non dominant hand is hurting like it did six years ago. What's going on? Am I on the way to losing a bit more mobility in my hand? Any one have a guess?

Mar
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  5:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Cindy your area made our news with the flooding of the rivers. Stay safe.

it was overcast all day long. and cold. Tonight it must be warming up a little because a huge sheet of snow came thundering off our roof. Remember we live in a barn and the roof is metal. The edge of the roof is off the ground and equivalent of four stories up. The peak of the rood is another story above that. It slides and thunders down.

Didn't do anything exciting, just house chores.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  06:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I sympathize with you about the arthritis. I have Ben battling it for years. I had my first visit with a rheumatologist at least 12 years ago. I was put on Remicade and, while providing relief, caused a non-Hodgkins lymphoma as a side. Quit the treatment for arthritis and focused on the lymphoma. One of the drugs used in the lymphoma treatment was Rituxan. While curing the lymphoma, it also kept the arthritis at bay. I just had my second infusion and the pain is gone. I can sew, quilt, crochet, and knit without pain.

Please do follow with your physician for suggestions and/or advice. Life is so much easier without pain.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  07:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone on this last day of 2015. Hard to believe the year went by so fast. Our celebration will be going out to our favorite restaurant, called Wild Fire, where we will have our favorite meal, duck breast cooked perfectly with a delicious sweet/savory sauce, mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus and a lovely goat cheese crepe. Then bananas foster for dessert. Maybe a glass of wine. A stroll around our quaint little square, then home by 9 o'clock. Such is the life of two seniors who have no desire to drink themselves into oblivion and pretend it is fun. I have never been much of a party person. There is a big New Year's Eve bash here in the ballroom but we aren't going.

Mar, I have the kind of arthritis that attacks one knuckle at a time. Some call it traveling arthritis. Over the years, it has gotten several of them. Last one was so painful, the first knuckle of my ring finger. That was about the time I met B. He said shelll fish was the culprit, that there is something in it that doesn't digest, but settles in the joints for years. I don't know if I believe it or not, but I stopped eating shellfish except for shrimp on rare occasions, the swelling and pain have gone and not come back. He has no arthritis even though he has worked with his hands his whole life. So maybe he is right. He also has no knee problems even though he has been a runner most of his life. No shell fish and no pork. Maybe he is right, I have no clue, but it works for him. I am beginning to lose my grip, dropping things now, or they just slip out of my hand, usually when I'm cooking. I've never done this before. Age is a [bleep] sometimes. I sure don't know the answer. I can no longer open a jar of anything.

The weather is not so bad this winter where we are, but terrible in other places. So many sad stories of people who have lost everything.

Hope you all have a good day. Stay warm.
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  4:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Greetings all my Goddesses of the Iris sisters!

Last day of 2015.......wow....time flies as you age. I'm with you G......age is definitely a B****!!! :)

Wishing all of you a sweet, prosperous, successful New Year!!

Weather cold but clear here. Just me and Mattie celebrating the New Year. Staying safe and warm!! :)

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think I do have some arthritis in my knees, hands and hips. I think my hands have some problem with something like carpal tunnel but last year the doctor said the problem was in my shoulders from sleeping with my shoulders curled towards the front of my body. Now I try to sleep with them back. I am not so good at this. If I sleep with my arms forward my hands go to sleep. I have my annual physical next month so I can complain to my doctor and she can lay out my options. I am a little concerned with having an operation on my shoulders because I am not sure how I would milk the cow.

Mar, I hear your worry. I hope it is just the weather and you do not lose anymore hand function.

I am reading a book called. Back yard Medicine by Julie Bruton Seal and her husband. It is about herbal remedies. They are from England but all of the plants they talk about are here in the US anyway. They say that birch leaf oil made from birch leaves picked when still bright green and then covered with extra virgin olive oil for several weeks then strained and used as a massage oil is good for fibro and rheumatism. Something to ponder.

B sounds like he has the diet of a conservative Jew. I think I remember he was involved with some religion for many years that prohibited eating shell fish and pork. C's grandfather and grand mother kept a kosher home and when he wanted to have pork he would buy the roast and bring it to their house and invite himself to dinner.

We are having beef tenderloin and lobster tails tonight as soon as the littles are asleep. They had hamburgers and potato chips for dinner. Their favorites.

DDK would love to grow hair like she has but she settles for a good weave every couple of months. I think this one looks really good on her.

I think I took more than 30 pictures of the group to get three that had them looking at the camera without making faces. yes. they wanted to be done and I wanted a good picture.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I've read that eating an anti-inflammation diet can drastically decrease arthritis pain. Since arthritis is just inflammation of a joint. I like sweets too much to find out if it works. I think I have a little Arthur Ritis in my thumbs--and knees, shoulders--that guy really gets around, doesn't he? He and Charley Horse are best buddies, I hear.
That's funny about C's grandfather inviting himself to dinner. I heard--and this is true--that you can now purchase kosher marijuana. The lobster tails and beef tenderloin sound delicious.
So far the flood hasn't drastically affected our town. I guess we're used to it and prepare for it. I feel for the people in those towns that are now under water. Our bridge still has one way traffic--people coming from Missouri can cross but there's no traffic going into Missouri. I guess they figure it's more important that suppliers from St. Louis can get into town than it is for people to leave. Besides, there are other routes. The most annoying thing are the gawkers and people wanting to get pictures. People will actually drive around barricades--and there are kids in the car. Our support group was going to meet tonight and have a party but we decided to cancel cause of the flooding. Traffic is terrible in the St. Louis area cause everyone is seeking alternate routes. Then I got a text this evening from the group facilitator--he fell and broke his hip and is in the hospital. Will have surgery tomorrow. I talked to him on the phone--he was on morphine for the pain but sounded good. So I am listening to them countdown the most popular songs from the 80's on a local station. Happy New Year.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  6:36:46 PM  Show Profile
DDK is so beautiful.

Because I knit, crochet and sew, I am frequently positioned with my shoulders forward. I get very achy in the middle of my back. To combat this I try to sleep on my back for a couple hours a night. That seems to help. I read an article once about a woman who was told by a doctor that she would lose her ability to crochet because of repetitive motion. She developed a series of stretches, exercises and methods to keep her shoulders back and was able to continue to crochet. I'm not certain where to find the article. I believe I read it in the Crochet Connection a newsletter from Crochet World.

We are in for the night. We will be able to hear and possibly see the fireworks that they set off by the Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis. I'm not down with fireworks because they scare Mitzi.

See y'all next year.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  6:57:31 PM  Show Profile
We are in for the night as well.

There is a place called Farmacology Organics that has some herbal remedy options for a variety of aches and pains. Worth googling. I think it's just farmacologyorganics.com.
It's a small family owned operation, I might have heard about it from this forum I ordered a poppy extract for nighttime pain and it really does help.

DdK is a beautiful young woman. What a pretty smile that lights up her eyes. You've got a family to be proud of, Holly. Dinner sounds wonderful. They were having that exact entree as their special tonight but we ordered the duck breast as usual. You are right, holly, his religion was similar to Jewish. Too bad they didn't forbid sugar.

We won't be hearing any fireworks here. I'm thankful for that on behalf of all the animals who freak out. Mar, I hope your horses will be ok. Fireworks sound too much like guns and animals instinctively know that's bad.

Happy New Year to all.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  7:01:52 PM  Show Profile
One other thing I meant to say about the achy shoulders--if you lie on the floor and roll a tennis ball around under your shoulder and up and down your back, it feels really good and will work the knots out. Just be sure you can get back up. Mar I don't recommend it for you of course.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page