churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  06:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Geez Louise! More snow! It's small stuff but still. ARGH!!

I have jumped on some opportunities that have come my way. I went to a community organizing conference last week and met this lovely lady who does a Caribbean Festival in the city every year. I hadn't heard about it before. She wants me to help her with costumes. Then she told me about her crafting business venture which is about to take off because of some serendipitous promotion at a national art fair.

http://www.shaka-attack.com/

She is all by herself. This is the perfect start-up for me to be involved in.

Also, Whittier School has funding for three positions for literacy tutors - 1 full time and 2 part time. The part time ones pay $544 a month. This is so perfect. I believe I have a good chance because I have a track record with the school.

Little Morgan still does not have a place to go. I met a high school age girl in the alley the other day and she said that her family will be looking for a dog to replace one dying of cancer. We should know if they can take him today.

Lowell wants the computer so that is all for now.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Got my reservations in place to fly out to see the Idaho branch of the family in May. I spoke to my dad last night on the phone and told him I was coming to see him -- he said he was planning to be there. Bless his heart.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  4:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I think the movie may be Notting Hill and I think the male leads name is Hugh Grant. How is the for confirmation? not too solid is it? haha

It would be nice for you to be involved in a start up, Marie. That would keep your always devious mind occupied for intense bursts of time. The pay for the part time job is just right. Write your resume well.

Snowed off and on but not much accumulation all day. This type of moisture should sink in to the water table and fill it up. That would be good news for people with wells.

Marilyn I hope you are going to Idaho for you.

I made whoopi pies for the bake sale at the clothing swap tomorrow. The 6th grade is doing a benefit for the food shelf here in town.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  9:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Today was a nice day weather-wise. I've been putting my tomatoes out in my little greenhouse during the day. My friend K came by today and saw me. I worry about her--she's always saying things like "I should do this" or "I shouldn't do that." I never use the word should. In fact, I hate the word. My mom uses it all the time. I say "I will" or "I do" but I hate the word "should." It lays such a guilt trip on people. Like the world "should" spin according to the way I want. Yeah, right. Life is what it is, and it "shouldn't" be any different, cause what we got here is what God gave us and....I could go on with my rant but I'll stop.
The person from HR hasn't called me back. I called the office in Peoria and they said they couldn't reach the person I need to talk to. I did talk to a lady at the credit union and explained my situation and she helped me out a lot. I have been making meals with ramen noodles, tofu and vegetables cause it's all I can afford. I go through periods of feeling confident, and then I crash. At least I have my sweet Jaxon to keep me company. It's weird how many times I've depended on a dog during my life. My "best" friend when I was a kid was my dog Misty. I still occasionally will have a dream about her, and in the dream, I'll be thinking "She must be the oldest dog in the world!"
I am thinking of Marilyn and what she is dealing with. Makes my problems seem not so big. I saw the on-line pictures of our old house today and it all looks nice, hope it sells quickly and my parents get what they're asking for it. I had to giggle at the picture of the "shed" out back--my dad built it in 1976 and from a distance, you can't tell, but when you get close, oh my....some neighboring kids used to refer to it as "the old shack" which it is.
Holly--did your cow get settled? I didn't know it takes 4 or 5 tries to get her bred. With the Kentucky Derby coming up I couldn't help think of American Pharoah--his stud fee is something like 200 grand. I don't know how much it is for a bull.
Marie--sounds like good things are coming your way. I hope you find a home for Morgan. I think if you could get him declared an emotional support dog, they would have to let you keep him. Not sure what the rules are on that but you might check into it.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile
RAIN this morning! I am here at the shop biding my time and waiting for it to ease up a little so I can get out for my walk. There was a guy parked out front when we got here this morning. Followed us right into the building -- I hate when there are people here waiting in the morning. It takes us a while to get the doors unlocked and the computers started

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  08:23:53 AM  Show Profile
My parents are moving into their new Assisted Living and Memory Care home today. I didn't realize how much it was going to mess with my head! My tummy was sick all weekend -- just tied in knots. I can't imagine what a step this is for them. I have been looking at the facebook page for the facility and it looks really nice. Lots of smiles and fun activities. Hopefully my dad will be able to rest and relax a little bit, with someone there to keep an eye on Mother. And she won't be so scared, maybe, since there will be help close by for if Daddy needs it.

I can't remember if I posted, but I have tickets to fly out there on the 5th of May for a few days. They should be settled in pretty well by then and they can show me around and introduce me to their new friends. I just called the florist out there and ordered a big bunch of "Welcome" tulips for their new room -- tulips have always been Daddy's favorite and Mother likes ALL flowers.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  08:51:00 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good choice for your parents. Glad they will have someone to look after them. Take some pressure off your Dad.
Glad you will see them soon... Maybe that will ease some of your anxiety. Being able to see and touch them and the new surroundings
should certainly help you as well as them. :)

My best to all,
Mel
Farmgirl #1463
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Goddesses of the Iris
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  10:13:11 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, your parents' new home sounds wonderful, and I hope they settle quickly and will be very contented there, if not outright happy.

Cindy, I had a friend tell me once that saying "have to" shows a "victim mentality." It took me a while to get my head around talking about what is needful to do, without saying "I have to ____." I don't know if that is quite like saying "should," but it certainly affects our attitudes about how we approach tasks and life in general.

Many of the early heifers have calved. One or two of the cows have calved as well, although our "official" due date isn't until next week.

I have mom's taxes done for 2015. Still have 2016 to do, but can't do that until all her government pay slips are processed. And I can't disburse anything to the impatient sister and indifferent brother until I receive Clearance Certificates (on the taxes) for both years. So... waiting continues, but my to-do list regarding the estate grows smaller and smaller.

I did our taxes, as well. Just need to e-file them.

I spent yesterday repairing fence with the cowboy on one of our lease pastures. Over a mile of 9-strand buffalo fence. Lots of it snarled and tangled and broken. But that section of the fence is ready to GO. A few other bits need minor repair, but we have till the end of April before we'll start turning out pairs.

The weather is WARM! Green grass everywhere, trees budding. It's at least three weeks early for our area... and that's a little scary.

~Ann~

My life on the ranch ... http://a-thousandhills.blogspot.com

Edited by - bramblerose on Apr 12 2016 10:15:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  11:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Ann is a renaissance woman! Settling estates, figuring taxes, birthing cattle and fixing fences --- have you had lunch yet? ha ha

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile
I heard a therapist say once "Don't should on yourself!" I guess that says it all.

I am really tired right now because I have just had a low blood sugar. It was minor and didn't effect my behavior but I am tired.

I will be having an telephone interview for the reading tutor position on Thursday. I guess I am moving up the list. I hope I can make it into the position. The money will really help but I will be even more busy. Oh well.

I have to lay down for a while.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. Just checking in. Nothing interesting going on here. I guess that can be a good thing. I did sell four dresses to one person the other day.
My fibro has been really bad. I had to leave work early today. Then slept almost the rest of the day away. I'm forcing myself to go to bunch tonight. I need socialization.

Looks like everyone is busy!
Marie, I hope you get the job. The money will be nice.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Bunco!!! Not bunch. Arggggg!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

WOW! nine strand fencing that sure is high and strong. I guess for thick headed and furred buffalo it would be necessary. For a while five strand electric was the item to have around here. Glad it is warm enough to calve without worrying about them freezing if the mothers are not too bright. I really like being out working on bright spring days.

Glad to hear from you Bunny I was wondering how your weather was. I think we live almost on the same latitude line and you have a much milder climate. Congratulations on the dress sales. I hope the woman keeps them all.

I hope, Marilyn that your mother can settle into tne new surroundings and not be afraid. It will be such a relief to your Dad to have her taken care of and not carry all of the responsibility himself. I hope your mother can find something to be happy about in the new place.
I was thinking about the Dude not having done the downloads. I have this machine and C set it up with her passwords. Sometimes I get notices that an upgrade is ready to happen but I can not do it because i do not know the password. Sure I can ask her about it but then how do I get to the place where the download is waiting to be loaded? Just chatting.

It has been cold and rainy so far this April. Someone was complaining about the erratic weather and I said, remember last April we still had a foot of snow on the ground. That person was glad for the cold rain we were having. haha

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  9:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Holly, C could probably set the computer up for automatic downloads. It will come up, you click and go. Some will automatically shutdown the computer to initiate the change but most do not. I would recommend having all the passwords you need written in a secure location just in case.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  06:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Started uptown on my walk this morning. Hands were TOO cold. Stopped in at the coffee shop and sat right there at the counter and drank my nice hot coffee. Supposed to be warming up later today -- I sure hope so. Done with winter.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  08:12:26 AM  Show Profile
Going to see the dentist after Rotary luncheon to see what he wants to do about this silly broken tooth. Why does the thought of a dental appointment mess with my head so much? Arrgggggh

EDITED ---- Saw Dr. Brilliant. He will be able to do a build up and crown on the broken tooth -- just what he had already planned, but we have to move it up the schedule a bit. Such a relief. I was so afraid I was going to lose the tooth.

Farmgirl #6318

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Apr 13 2016 11:46:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Sometimes cows settle on the first time and sometimes it takes a few. We had one cow who had two calves and that was it. She was the nastiest tasting hamburg we had. Coco has had five calves. I am not sure what is old for a cow. Some of ours have been more than ten years old.

I do have a list of passwords written down. The main one to this computer is not on the list. C fudges around when she needs to access it and then hands it to me all done. I will tell her to set up the downloads automatically then I do not need to wait. Just a PITA to deal with.

I hope the Rotary luncheons are better than a while ago. I was supposed to buy tickets to the Rotary evening last night but the woman did not show up to Tai Chi class. I am not sure what it is except there would be a lot of good food and an open bar. Since I do not drink alcohol, I was hoping for some good food.

There is only one set of permanent teeth. Some of us do everything we can to keep them and some of us just let them go. I am in the former category and I guess you are too, Marilyn. I hope it is not too painful.

Started off in the twenties this morning. By now it is in the high forties. The sun is going down in a blaze of glory.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  01:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I must be losing it. When I saw Holly's PITA, I thought: what does bread have to do with a computer? Then it dawned on me.
The situations in my life are driving me crazy. I went back to occupational health today--same thing: I'm approved to work but can't use my right arm overhead, which means I can't work. I feel like I'm dying inside from stress and grief surrounding an unresolved situation that has been vexing me for years. Feel like I just want to crawl off into a cave and never come back out. They say there are no hopeless situations but I have my doubts. I see my therapist today so that should help. I went to open-mike night at a local music venue and that always helps me feel better. I don't sing or play, I just sit and listen. I get depressed cause so many lies have been told about me, and lots of people I know believe them. These people aren't my friends, but are part of my social network. I have to associate with them to enjoy the nature type things that mean so much to me. Plus they do a lot of good for the environment. They just don't do good for me. I can't tell them the truth of the matter cause that would create more problems than it would solve. I can't just turn my back on them cause I really enjoy the activities they plan. It's not everyone who gives me grief, just certain people. I try to avoid them. Which is hard to do in this small town. And there is one person who could fix a lot of this stuff and he won't. I don't know why. Is he too proud? Too scared? Or maybe he just doesn't care. I'm sorry for being such a downbeat. My life kinda sucks right now. I just saw what my paycheck is and it's less than three hundred dollars net. How do they expect anyone to get by on less than half their normal pay? Why do they say I can work but I can't? Why ask why? And a friend of mine at work just broke her finger and she had to go to occupational health and they want her to see a dr. that's forty miles away in another state. For a broken finger? We have good doctors here. But I know why--I saw five reps. leave while I was waiting at occupational health today. They are getting $$$ for sending clients to this doctor. My friend doesn't drive across the river so she will probably have to pay the bills herself as she plans to see a dr. here.
Bunny--good to hear from you. I need to check your website. I don't have any money for clothes but hopefully things will get better.
Marilyn--glad you have a good dentist. I still have my teeth, I have very strong teeth but I get cavities cause I drink soda. Sometimes I have to use my teeth to twist the caps off the bottles.
Ann--life never lets up, does it? Good the Cowboy has your back.
Mel--good to hear from you.
Marie--is it any warmer up there? It was nice here today.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  06:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Cindy -- I will not type stupid platitudes here. You obviously know that you will weather this storm -- I can tell by the way you write about it. You are certainly going through a rough time, but I also hear you talking in pretty positive terms for someone who is struggling with such BIG issues (It can all be a PITA, can't it?). We are all hoping you get better soon and that things will work out for your job, too. It made my mouth hurt to think of you twisting the caps off bottles, but I can remember doing that myself! ha ha

All of my siblings and I have pretty weak teeth. Not sure if it was the lack of dental care growing up (we never went to the dentist unless there was a toothache until later on, when my dad got dental insurance from work), so we all have lots of filled teeth. At this stage of the game, those filled teeth keep failing. I am thankful I found a new dentist here who I really really like. I don't know why I am such a dental phobe -- I haven't had anything actually hurt for ages and ages. They really do a much better job these days of making sure it's not painful. Lucky kids nowadays.

Here's my first-world problem for today -- the workmen are at the house to put in more insulation in the attic, etc. Access is through the closet ceiling -- right above my clothes. Dude wanted me to "just scoot your stuff down" to make a space for them to get up there. I put my foot right down. I said they are professionals and do this every day of the week, and I think they can jolly well put a drop cloth down over the clothes in the closet to keep things clean. He looked at me sort of stunned for a second and said "You know, you are right. I will just make sure they are careful and cover everything up."

Life's little victories

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  09:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Just had a text from my sister-in-law. My parents asked for a doorstop for the inside of their door, so that the staff couldn't come in. Sigh. My brother talked to the staff to make sure that there would NOT be a doorstop. I mean, the whole idea is for the staff to be able to get in to help them if they need it. They aren't going to just be popping in without knocking. I think the reduced privacy is going to be a tough transition for them to make. My mother is terrified of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, and I'm sure she is scared. The residence itself is secure, and you can't just walk in off the street into the living areas, but I can't even imagine what a huge adjustment this is for them. I tried both of their phones yesterday and couldn't get either of them -- I will try again this afternoon and see if they will answer. So glad that they came to this decision on their own, so they (hopefully) will not be blaming us "kids" for "putting" them there. It is a little odd that they haven't called to say "thank you" for the flowers, though. Normally my mother would have called right away. Maybe they are just a little overwhelmed -- who knows -- maybe they didn't even notice there was a card and thought the flowers were just a welcome from the facility.

A customer of ours was in a little bit ago. She is a very upbeat person -- cancer survivor -- caregiver for her parents. She said her 87-year-old mother-in-law had to go into a nursing home a few weeks ago. She said the staff actually had to have a special staff meeting to discuss how to deal with her! Here's a staff with years of experience dealing with difficult and cranky elderly people -- and they had to have a new plan to deal with the mother-in-law. Ms Customer said she wasn't surprised! She said her MIL had always hated everyone and everything, so it's no wonder. I am hoping that my mother will settle in and let herself be comfortable and let the staff take care of things for her. I am hoping that she will begin to feel safer and appreciate that she doesn't have to worry about things. I am also hoping to find a chicken with lips.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  4:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Cindy I hope your work figures it out soon. I guess there is not a worker's compensation section that will retrain you for a different job. Wishful thinking I know. Corporations are so numb to the needs of their employees. Hugs to you. My mother always said my skin was not thick enough to shrug off hurtful comments. You recognize them for what they are. You are a good woman.

Marilyn be glad you do not live close. There is nothing you can do to fix or make better the situation with your parents. It is so hard to be a compulsive caregiver and not be able to give care.

Today was a very lovely day. I dragged with the tractor some logs to start my hugelkultur bed. It will take some time to bring up enough logs. and then cover them with soil to grow anything. I am hoping to make a crescent moon shaped bed so I can grow lavender. As the logs decay they should produce enough heat so the plants will not freeze over the winter. Another science experiment.

Last fall I put hay on top of my beds of garlic. It is still frozen. I hope it thaws soon. I would like to see some green in the garden.

You are very smart about the drop cloth over the clothing. I think I would have done the tedious move the clothes to another room and then haul them all back.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  5:45:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tall Holly

Good evening everyone,

Cindy I hope your work figures it out soon. I guess there is not a worker's compensation section that will retrain you for a different job. Wishful thinking I know. Corporations are so numb to the needs of their employees. Hugs to you. My mother always said my skin was not thick enough to shrug off hurtful comments. You recognize them for what they are. You are a good woman.

Marilyn be glad you do not live close by. It is so hard to be a compulsive caregiver and not be able to give care.

Today was a very lovely day. I dragged with the tractor some logs to start my hugelkultur bed. It will take some time to bring up enough logs. and then cover them with soil to grow anything. I am hoping to make a crescent moon shaped bed so I can grow lavender. As the logs decay they should produce enough heat so the plants will not freeze over the winter. Another science experiment.

Last fall I put hay on top of my beds of garlic. It is still frozen. I hope it thaws soon. I would like to see some green in the garden.

You are very smart about the drop cloth over the clothing. I think I would have done the tedious move the clothes to another room and then haul them all back.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  6:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the weather is indeed warm here. We had a 70 degree day and it looks as if it will stay that way all week. I couldn't get outside yesterday because I was busy doing my taxes. I have inherited Lowell's bad habit of putting it off until the last minute. I did them by e-file but I need to print them before I can send them. My federal and property tax refund need to be sent in by mail. My printer is not working and I haven't bought a new one yet.

Today, I was going to take care of all the tax stuff and pick up some prescriptions. My first stop was the clinic where I need to get my insulin. I am all out of the long term insulin. Unfortunately, I don't have enough funds in my account. I couldn't go to the library and finish my taxes nor pick up my test strips from a different pharmacy which I am also out of. SH*T!!! Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Lowell said he'd get me some cash from the machine. Isn't he great? <sigh> I love him.

I had a phone interview today for the reading tutor job at the school. The job starts in August. I will have 4 full days of training. I will be working 20 hours a week, be paid $544 per month and have a fund of $2887.50 for college courses. I just may take some courses at the community college downtown in art or apparel design. Anyway, I had better not count chickens yet. The next step is an interview at the school. I am hopeful but cautious.

Oh Cindy! I don't know how you feel and I won't say I've been through the same thing. I know this kind of stress and it is crippling. All a person can do is to handle one thing at a time. I am thinking about you. I know you will get through this. You are a better person than those who believe lies. It will be forgotten or explained eventually. Take your revenge by living well.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  06:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- Thank you for the chicken with lips! ha ha You gave me a good laugh first thing!

Dude has gone to the auto auction this morning. A customer wanted a certain car to replace one his son wrecked. He took another guy with him to drive the car home, so he must be pretty certain he'll get one. Anyway, he had the extra driver meet him at the house -- so glad I heard the strange voice and didn't step out of the bathroom sans apparel like I usually do!!! Dude was happily showing his buddy around the house -- pointing out all the remodeling changes -- he is a wonderful guy, but sometimes they just forget that we're girls! ha ha When I stretched my eyeballs at him, he cocked his head to the side like a puppy -- "Whuh? Whas wrong?" Gotta love him, though.

Which reminds me -- did I tell you all that he bought me a grand piano?

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

bramblerose
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  10:09:13 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, WOW, just wow! About the piano!

I sent mom's taxes away yesterday, and I'm doing a final look-see over ours and should be able to send it off today. In Canada, our taxes aren't due until April 30, but I still don't like leaving it this tight.

I have a teeth issue, too. Both my parents had double dentures early in their adulthood. My mom was actually married without front upper teeth. (Her wedding photos are "interesting.") Neither of them "believed in dentists," and repeatedly told us that teeth were pretty much disposable. They didn't provide anything more than cheap brushes and no instruction. I'd never even heard of floss until I was 18. And I'd NEVER been to the dentist.

A mobile dentist came up to our small northern town that summer. I was off to college in the fall. My dad sent me to this fellow with instructions for him to pull ALL MY TEETH. Dad added that when my mouth had healed, like MAYBE when I came home from college for Christmas break, he'd take me to the denturist for dentures. I vowed I'd not be going to college then. I already had severe issues with my looks and was so incredibly shy, it was painful, and the thought of going to college toothless made me die a little inside.

Fortunately, Mr. Wonderful, Handsome Dentist -- I think I still have a crush on him -- said my dad was full of S*** and my teeth were structurally sound, although they needed some "help" and some needed pulling. He proceeded to repair my front teeth first, so I could smile again, he said. (Not that I HAD smiled much anyway. Even my toddler pictures show a very somber, sad little girl.)

I still have most of my own teeth, but also a partial denture and a couple of crowns. I smile A LOT these days.

(My siblings did not fare so well. My sister has two full dentures, and my brother...he is minus his upper teeth, but smiles in such a way that it's hard to tell.)

I rather like BEING at the dentist, but anticipating GOING to the dentist is stressful. Mostly about the $$$ aspect, though the cowboy and I have decent coverage. I still hear my dad railing at us about not taking care of our teeth and how he was going to have to sell his truck to pay for OUR disobedience. He didn't sell his truck, though. And I think he got off pretty lucky for the total of that summer's dental bill, considering we'd not once been to the dentist in our lives up until then. (And we are the ones that paid dearly, in the long run, not him.)

We are getting a new roof put on the house this week. Lots of hammering and drilling.

Weather is remarkable. Warm and sunny.

~Ann~

My life on the ranch ... http://a-thousandhills.blogspot.com

Edited by - bramblerose on Apr 15 2016 10:12:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page