True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2017 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I had the pump for out water replaced yesterday. Our water is gravity fed to a holding tank downstairs and then it is pumped up to the house. It sounded really loud. Usually it hums along. I called the pump people and he had record of me having bought a pump sixteen years ago. Sounds about right. So, now maybe we are good for another 16 years. We also have a pressure tank, the man said it is wearing out as well but I should just run it until it is done. I am fine with that. I did not wait until the pump was not working anymore because I knew it would happen right in the middle of showers some morning. The bearing was worn out. He said he could rebuild it but with the labor it would cost only a little less than a new pump.

Today was very warm out. It rained last night, off and on all day and it is raining now. Temperatures are supposed to drop tomorrow. I hope it snows soon. This is a big ski weekend here. I think the ski areas are making snow so maybe they will not be too affected. But, people who do not see snow on the drive up are less likely to ski.

Sweet dreams.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  06:31:30 AM  Show Profile
31 and a beautiful, sunny morning. I'm going to try and get my walk in early because it's supposed to start raining later and we have a warning in place for sleet and ice tonight. Hopefully it won't be as bad as they're predicting.
Jan, I agree. I often wonder how many of the Farmgirls who were on here are doing. I'm glad Holly finally heard from Mar and that they are doing well.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  06:51:19 AM  Show Profile
Negative 9 degrees with wind chill. I am coming home right after work and keeping myself cozy. It will be a good night for hot tea and chocolate.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  08:35:07 AM  Show Profile
The precipitation is starting here. I stocked the floors for the weekend yesterday at work and went in early this morning and left just as the drizzle was starting. They say it's supposed to be bad and last thru Sunday night. I got the lawn mowers out of my garage and covered them with a tarp so i could get my car in the garage. I plan to stay put for the weekend. I hope I don't lose power. If I'm not on here for a few days, it's probably because I lost power. Last time there was a bad ice storm, the street next to mine lost power. My neighbor, who lives on the corner, tried to use the fireplace which hadn't been used in years, and they had a chimney fire Gosh, do I remember that. it's weird waking up at night and you see these flashing lights thru the window and look out and there are firemen all over the roof of the house next door, and smoke is pouring out, and the water from the hoses is freezing almost as soon as it hits the roof. I'm glad Mar is doing OK. i wonder how the other farmgirls are doing as well. I hope the people at work who have to drive home or drive to work later on remain safe. some of them live out in the country and they don't clear those roads very well, if at all. the police have said they will arrest anyone who is caught driving in the icestorm without a valid reason. This storm even has a name, Jupiter--the trend seems to be to name every major storm that hits anywhere anymore. I wonder what they will name the current storm.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  10:51:28 AM  Show Profile
Just as I was reading the post above, some kid pulling the fire alarm in the building. It was a false alarm thankfully. I can't imagine having 300 kids outside in this cold.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

'the sun was out and bright this afternoon. The temperature was brisk in the twenties. Where ever there was snow there is now ice. DsC was running out to the car this afternoon and fell on his keester. He was very surprised he fell and very surprised it hurt as much as it did. i walked carefully.

I worked on an afghan that I use to keep my hands busy when I am waiting.

I am glad tomorrow is a sleep in day.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  08:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I looked outside and can see the ice on the trees and power lines. Yesterday I went over to check on my neighbor and the steps on my front porch were already becoming slippery. The rails were covered with ice as well. I am staying home. I don't like the isolation. I like to be around other people, even if it's somewhere like the store where I don't know anyone. I'm glad I don't have to drive in to work though. don't want to drive in weather like this. My car handles icy roads pretty well but I worry about the other drivers. I've been hit three times by other drivers in the last ten years. Each time I was driving a maroon colored car. So i will never have a red colored car again. They are targets for poor drivers. Am listening to Celtic harp music as I type this. So peaceful and beautiful. Hope everyone else stays safe.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Woke to -6 F this morning. It did warm up to above 0 but not much above.

I am not going to the Women's March in Washington next weekend. Too many responsibilities at home. I will go to the one in Montpelier in the afternoon. I just found out about the pussyhatproject.com . I went to the yarn store and there were only three skeins of pink yarn and I bought two of them.

I hope we do not get more ice. I would just like some feet of snow.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  8:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Brrr, Holly, that sounds cold. The ice storm is over. It wasn't as bad here in my area as in other areas. So it's back to work tomorrow. Was finally able to take Jaxon for a walk today. He hadn't been for a walk since I don't when cause of the weather and/or my coughing. I have been reading The Essential Rumi. He was a very long ago poet and his wisdom still reasonates to this day. It's supposed to get up to about 50 degrees tomorrow. We have more rain on the way but it should stay mild temperature-wise. There was a unity march in my town today. I think there is a women's march in St. Louis on saturday. I got a pre-recorded call stating that "this is your last chance to get insurance for 2017". I have insurance but it made me very angry. and prayerful.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  07:48:18 AM  Show Profile
The ice storm wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be. I have a friend who is pastor of a church in Kansas City and he cancelled all services for Sunday because the roads were just too dangerous. Another in St Louis cancelled all his services too. Glad you didn't get it too badly Cindy.
Worked out this morning and am getting ready to do some work in my sewing room. Knit night tonight.
Hope everyone is well and has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  4:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The temperature hovered around freezing today. We had light snow off and on. We woke to three inches of knew snow. It is very pretty draped on the trees and bushes.

My printer is having an issue. It says that there is a paper jam but there is no paper in it. I need to take it to the repair man but it is 1 hour 20 minutes north and I have not had the time. and then I will need to go back and get it. So, I took my picture into town to have it printed.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  05:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! 47 here and raining. Between the snow and ice a couple of weeks ago and now several days of rain the gravel road we live on is a mess. I am ready for spring.
Holly, sorry you're having issues with your printer. Computers and I aren't the best of friends and there always seems to be something going on with mine.
I have not seen any deer since the season ended, which is odd for this area. We are putting out corn, it is gone in the morning and there are tracks. For some reason they are only coming out at night.
DH is working at the craft gallery today where he sells his pottery, so I have a whole day to myself. Going to work on a cross stitch Christmas stocking for my son-in-law, and hoepfully do some spinning and knitting.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  07:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Light rain and 35 degrees here. I cut my walk a little short this morning because the cold was cutting right through me. Tomorrow early we take off for a week in the islands and I am looking forward to being warm for an entire week!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  05:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Cool and foggy this morning, but the sun is starting to peek through.
Marilyn, I remember reading about your trips. Have a wonderful, relaxing time.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
I am avoiding social media cause this new med. was making me paranoid. And caused diarrhea. And made me sick as a dog. and caused weird freaky dreams and hallucinations. So I have quit taking it. I can barely type. Am using the computer at the library. The new medicine is called Viibryd. The only good thing was it gave me more energy. I call it the devil's candy. I think there may be a class action lawsuit someday against this med. I have read horrible reviews of it. So I just stopped taking it. Wasn't on it very long but it sure messed me up. I am just going to stick with the three meds. I normally take and not take any more ani-depressants. I've tried almostt all of tthem over a thiry year period and they don't work for me. I din't feeel depressed anyway. I was only depressed because the Paxil ook away all my energy and tha is depressing. This med has really messed me up as you can tell by my typing. I will call y dr. on Monday. My therapist recommended getting off FB. Good advive. It was scaring me. Hope to talk to you all soon.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

30000 +people at the March today in Montpelier. The city has about 8000 residents. The exit from the high way was backed up 6 miles before the March. I hope people remain active and vigilant.

temperatures were in the low thirties. A light mist sometimes.

Marilyn I hope you have a great vacation with the Dude.

Cindy I hope the medication journey works for you and you feel in control.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  5:54:51 PM  Show Profile
We have a severe storm and high wind warning for the next couple of days with winds 60+! I am praying we do not have any tornados. Living in a RV is a little ROCKY in the wind!!!! It has been in the 80s with low humidity, so pleasant. I really am loving the weather here in Florida. No more below zero temps for this girl.
We went to Sea world again the other day. We have an annual pass, so we can go whenever we want. We only get half way through before we poop out, but we like it there. We need to stay and see some of the shows, maybe next time. Now with spring break coming, we will not go there for awhile, it gets too busy with all the college and school kids coming here between now and April.
We saw the satellite go up last night, we have a pretty good view right here at the park. Pretty cool to see.
We have been eating fresh tomatoes off my plants. They are so good and fresh. It seems so weird having fresh veggies in the middle of winter though.
I hope none of you are having bad winter weather now.
Cindy, yes, meds can really mess up your mind. Hope it wears off fast.
Marilyn, enjoy the warmer weather and sunshine!!!!
Karin, Spring will be there in a short time. Have you had much snow?
Holly, Hope you get your printer working soon. Mine works when it feels like it. It is wireless and the internet service here is not that strong, so sometimes it will not work at all. It gets frustrating.
Marie, Hope you are getting out of that below zero weather. Hope school is going well for you and the kids are behaving for you.
Well, time to get ready for bed. Have a great weekend,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  07:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! It is cold and cloudy this morning. The weekend was beautiful, but winter is still here.
Jan, I hope you got through the bad weather all right. The damage in many areas is terrible. It's kind of odd to have so many tornadoes this time of year.
We have a separate three car garage with a guest suite over it. Found out the other day that the hot water heater has given up. I've been looking online to see what's available to replace it, but it looks like it's going to be difficult because they put it under a bulkhead and there is not room for a regular height heater. The joys of buying an old house.
I hope Marilyn is having beautiful weather. Cindy, I hope you are feeling better.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  09:01:26 AM  Show Profile
We had very high winds, but no damage near here, which we are all thankful for. It is beautiful today, in the 70's but will be cold by the weekend, even down to 39 degrees forecasted for Sunday night. I just love this weather and able to hang clothes out almost daily.
Still picking tomatoes daily. They are so good and fresh with a sweet taste.
Karin, hope you get your water heater problem taken care of. You never know what you are going to find in an older house. Hope I warms up for you soon.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  3:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Found out I probably had a mild serotonin syndrome reaction to the meds. Too much serotonin can be bad for you. Not enough causes depression. A severe reaction can land you in the hospital and in rare cases, be fatal. So I'm glad it was mild. The weather is behaving here for the time being. I am still having bad dreams from that med. I took for two weeks. have read it can take weeks for the effects to wear off. Don't like having dreams of dying from radiation poisoning. I've never had dreams like that before and they seem real so I will be glad when it wears off.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  6:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

No school for the littles today. We had rain and slush overnight. I think the roads were not so bad for cars but the superintendent did not want to risk the buses on the back roads.

DsG spent the afternoon working on his science fair project. He said, he was going to compare the distances catapults made out of different materials would project and object. I do not know where he came up with the idea and he did not seem to have an idea about what he really wanted to do. So, today I had him take some foam art board and cut it into one inch wide strips and glue two together to make it thicker. I could not find my mat knife to cut the board so I had him use a coping saw which was probably safer for him anyway. It was an adventure for him. He had to measure an inch and then put a straight edge between the two points and draw a straight line. That straight line concept was difficult for him to grasp. Eventually he did. I let go of my control issues that the boards had to have nice straight edges. I did not touch the materials once I showed him how to measure and draw the line the first time. Wish me luck on having the patience to allow him to do it and not take over for him because that would be so much easier.

Karin have you considered and on demand hot water heater. Then you would not have to keep the water hot while no one is using it. We had a gas one for a while. I really liked it but the regulations for venting were not conducive to very cold weather. I hear there are electric on demands as well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  10:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I just found out something very frightening about this new med. A few nights ago, when I was still taking it, I had this weird sensation that I could suddenly go blind. I figured it was a delusion and forgot about it. then last night, I was driving at night and the lights from the other cars and the street lights were really bothering me. Today i've noticed my eyes seem "tired" and a little painful. So i looked up more about the side effects and found that this med. can cause angle-closure glaucoma, and that it can come on very quickly. And i'm showing signs of it. the good news is, it's curable. but i need to see an opthamologist soon before it gets worse. This really IS the devil's candy. It causes nightmares, loss of coordination (I kept dropping things but that seems to be getting better), it has affected my memory, made me violently sick and I was having to spend twenty minutes in the bathroom to avoid having an embarrassing accident at work. And I only took it for 16 days. Oh, it also caused me to hear voices as i was falling asleep and i think it probably made my paranoia worse. I feel better now mentally and emotionally. I'm using my own computer again but I'm still avoiding FB. I do miss the pictures i would post of the beautiful horses on my FB page. So now I need to find a good eye dr. i went to one for my glasses a few years ago and i couldn't stand him. His receptionists violated the HIPPHA act by talking about his clients as I sat there waiting. I could hear everything they said and they were making fun of a particular patient. My friend anna has macular degeneration so I will find out who her dr. is. I hope I dont require any laser surgery to fix it. That idea just scares me, even tough my dad had cataracts removed that way and experienced no ill effects from it. The dr. who did his eyes has since passed on. In the meantime, I should probably avoid driving at night. the glare from the lights is maddening. Everything seems brighter and its like there are halos around all the lights. It doesn't bother me much during the day. other than my eyes just feel tired. i don't feel tire, just my eyes---kind of hard to explain. If anyone has any experience with this, would appreciate any advice. I think probably the only reason i can type this (it's night time right now) is because I use an Ott light on my desk. It doesn't affect my eyes the way normal lights do. I got it for embroidery but i use it now mainly for reading.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  05:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! I'll be packing a few things and going to my DD's house for the next few days to puppysit while they take a little trip. It's always fun. I walk and play with the dogs and shop and read and knit.
Holly, I need to look at the point of use heaters and see if it might be an option. The hook up is gas and I probably need to go with that type. It's not as if the guest room is used every week, but when it is there has to be hot water.
Hope everyone is well and has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2017 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a lovely day. I was out in my sweat shirt taking pictures or trying to take pictures of the water dripping from the ice covered branches on the bushes and trees. The digital camera does not do the sparkle justice. On a rare occasion I might snap a bird on a branch or in flight but I am just not fast enough to see one and then get the camera in position and snap the photo unless the bird takes pity on me and sits for the occasion.

When the clouds came in front of the sun the temperature immediately dropped to chilly. The clouds were moving at a quick pace this morning.

A friend who is a visiting nurse called this afternoon for a favor. She had slid off someone's driveway and thought who has a big enough vehicle to pull me out. HOLLY! She called and I did. It was fun and not stressful and made her happy.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2017 :  11:27:48 PM  Show Profile
My eyes are somewhat better and not so many bad dreams. feel back to my old self. A friend at work told me she missed "the old Cindy" and hoped i would recover soon. So I'm back! Did experience something called sleep paralysis that I'd never had before, brought on by that med. I know someone else who has experienced it (not due to meds) and he said it was very frightening. But it only lasts for a few minutes. Today is my birthday and two of my brothers are coming over to my parent's villa for dinner so I will be there. it is also my oldest brother's birthday. he is five years older than me. I am sad because I have decided to avoid my neighbor of many years. She recently made some horrible comments about people with mental disabilities (she meant developmentally disabled) but it hit too close to home. I was so shocked that I didn't know how to react. I think I said that I remembered I'd left my oven on and had to get home, and i walked out and didn't stop to chat on the porch like we normally do. My mind was reeling from the comments she made. I guess she didn't realize that I consider "those people" to be "my people" as well. So I am sad. It is SO hard to walk away from someone you have known for many years because you realize the two of you are so different in some ways that you cannot and will not ever accept what they feel about issues that are near and dear to you. When someone regards "those people" as so "disgusting" (the actual word she used) that she thinks some of their basic human rights should be taken away.....I don't think she realizes the implications of what she said, but that doesn't matter. And the worst thing is, she gets these ideas from the church she attends. I think I can hear God crying.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page