craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2017 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm back from my little puppysitting trip. It was cold, snowy and windy so we didn't spend a lot of time outside.I think the thing I miss the most during winter here is sunshine. So much of the time it is overcast and gloomy.
Cindy, I hope you enjoyed your birthday with your brothers. I'm sorry about your neighbor. It's sad how judgemental so many people are.
Think I'll do some spinning and reading this afternoon. Have a lovely day everyone.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  5:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It was 20F with a wind chill today. The sun did come out a little this afternoon.. That does brighten the day a lot.

Two of the boys had therapy and then the rest of the day was dsC's school work. The basketball game for dsG was cancelled.

The boys' Nana and Papa called from Texas tonight. They are very kind to the boys and to me. I am glad they stayed in their lives. They have also welcomed dsR as a grandchild as well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2017 :  6:10:11 PM  Show Profile
How's dsT and ddK doing?

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  06:18:26 AM  Show Profile
40 this morning and cloudy. We are going to do some cleaning up around the well building and burn some brush that has been piling up for too long.
Tonight is spinning night at one of my knit groups, so I will be taking my wheel to the shop this evening. It's always fun to see what everyone is creating.
Hope everyone is doing well and has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  07:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Back in the cold cold weather after a lovely week on St John. We hiked, we ate, we swam, we snorkeled, we drank rum drinks. It was a delightfully relaxing vacation. I had warm feet for an entire week!!!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2017 :  6:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Marilyn glad you are back and had a good time while you were away.

DsT is still out and about. I believe he is still unemployed. He calls on occasion when he wants us to take him grocery shopping. We have hope that he will get himself together enough to start making choices that will keep him out of poverty for the rest of his life. I guess that sounds doomful but he is not making good choices right now.

DdK is working on an online program in child care. She just started a week ago. She has some significant dyslexia but as she moves into her twenties her reading skills have improved significantly. This is something she really wants to do. So far she is being successful.

This morning was -2 F. By 2 in the afternoon the thermometer in the sun read 34 F. The sun came out and it lifted my mood significantly.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  06:14:43 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- It is so hard to watch kids/young adults go out and make their own choices. We are struggling with my eldest grandson along those lines right now. I have to bite my tongue and keep my ideas to myself unless asked, because he is not mine to raise. Glad that DdK is doing better with her reading! I have seen that happen before -- I don't know if they develop coping skills or if they train their brains to work around their dyslexia issues or what, but glad she is persevering.

My little brother had a stroke while I was away. He lives in Yokohama, Japan. He thought he had a sinus infection because he was very dizzy and had violent headaches. His coworkers took him to the hospital after he missed several days of work, and evidently he is going to be okay. He has been texting me, and his spelling and punctuation, etc., are all good, so that's a good sign. He has some muscle weakness on his left side, but they are keeping him in the hospital for two weeks to do all the rehab. Another difference between our system and the Japanese -- his MRI cost $52.00. He told me that he had eaten and drunk too much over the holidays and now plans to dedicate himself to becoming healthy as he dedicated himself to getting this last college degree.

Happy February, everyone.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  06:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful sunny morning here. I will be going for a walk shortly.
Marilyn, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time on your trip. I imagine it was hard to leave and go back to cold weather. Very sorry to hear that your brother had a stroke, but glad to know he is doing well. It sounds like he has some very good friends.
I still have to bite my tongue sometimes too when I'm with my grown up kids and their families. Glad that DdK is doing better with her reading and doing the childcare class. Hope that DsT finds himself soon. I know it must be hard to sit back and watch him.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  06:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes, when I watch the grade school kids I come in contact with, I cannot help but to have my opinions about their futures. <This one will be a success. This one will become familiar with the justice system.> All I can do is hope that my positive influence will in some way be remembered as a good in their lives.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  11:52:24 AM  Show Profile
I have bronchitis and called in sick today. At least it's not pneumonia. I am currently making bone broth. I got some grass fed beef neck bones and added some seaweed and seasonings and I'm letting it simmer. I plan to work tomorrow, then rest over the weekend. The dr. prescribed 500 mg. of amoxicillin three times a day so I hope it doesn't make me sick. Also got some zinc elderberry lozenges. All we can do is try to be a positive influence in a child's life. Our lives are in the here and now and their lives are in the future. I pray it's a good future. Whatever, God knows that all of days are numbered, he knows how manyhairs are on my head (at any given time!) and that gives me solace.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  1:16:58 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

The hardest thing I do with my children is let them make mistakes. When they are little I work hard to teach them to make good choices and be successful. When they get older and push back I hoe that the lessons they learned growing up will sustain them through their figuring out their paths in life. I have hope.

Sorry you are sick, Cindy. I hope it passes on quickly. How is Jaxon?

Sometimes, Marie all's it takes is one good person to take and interest and the child will remember. Hugs to you and the children.

We are having a sunny afternoon. The temperature can be the same outside as the cold afternoon but the sun makes all the difference in my spirits.

DsG is making a catapult for his science fair project. He has made it out of craft foam. He has laminated four pieces together to make a board. He is a ten yo boy and has very little attention to detail. As someone who is craftual I am having a hard time with his uneven edges and sloppy glue. I think he does not know I feel this way. I have tried to get him to make the edges smoother and he has tried. I am working to be encouraging and to keep my hands off the project. He has so little patience with himself. He expects perfection the first time around.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  06:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! It is 33 here, a beautiful sunny morning. I'll be going for a walk shortly.
We had 4 deer visit yesterday morning. There hasn't been that much snow and there is plenty to eat in the woods so they haven't been around too much. We watched each other for about 15 minutes before they decided they had found all the corn and wandered over the ridge.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  06:58:03 AM  Show Profile
Maybe that's why we haven't seen "our" deer! We really have just not had much snow, so they're fat and happy off in safer areas.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

We have had deer on our road for the last couple of weeks. We have seen seven in total on one trip. They are mostly in groups.
A moose walked up State Street in beautiful down town Montpelier on Saturday. No one bothered the moose so it just walked a couple of miles up the road and crossed into the cemetary and went on its way.

Yesterday, big dsR and I helped a friend move. He was so disorganized. We got the big stuff and most of his books moved. He will move all of his plants this week and the kitchen supplies. He did treat us to lunch.

In the late afternoon I plowed the driveway with the tractor and then took the tractor down to the bottom of the road to plow in front of the mailbox. I guess there must be water in the tank because the tractor kept stalling out on the hill. I walked the rest of the way up. I actually made it the whole way without stopping to rest. I sent C to the store to get 5 gallons of diesel. She took the diesel dry gas and put it in the tank with the 5 gallons. I toodled up the hill driving the tractor singing for all I was worth.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2017 :  5:40:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you can walk up hills, Holly, cause right now I think that would do me in! I am feeling better, not coughing as much, and it was nice today, jacket weather so I took Jaxon for a walk. I made a stir-fry last night for an event i went to, and I added jackfruit to it (I finally found a store here that sells it) and my dish went down so fast i was amazed. I've never made something that disappeared so quickly. And I threw it together at the last minute. I am roasting some plums topped with sugar right now, and will enjoy some plums and cheese later. I'm also going to make some granola and use up the dried fruit I have in my cabinet. I finally broke down and bought a toaster since Macy's is closing (everything is on sale) cause I like bagels and it takes forever to toast one using a cast iron skillet. I keep them in the freezer so having a toaster will help a lot. I buy two packages of bagels when I go to Costco and they will spoil if i don't freeze them. Jaxon keeps pushing his head under my arm as I type so I guess he wants some attention. I just looked at his left ear and it's starting to get all gunky again. Not sure what's causing it, he needs to see a vet soon anyway so I can determine how he's doing being weaned off the medication, so I will call next week and make an appt. He also needs a bath. Right now he's a bit of a stinky dog.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Cindy you make the best sounding food. Sometimes I toast bagels under the broiler in the oven but then I need to watch them or they become chicken food by burning.

I toasted some rolled oats yesterday and the two people of my household who like it the best dressed it to suit their tastes.

Today was ho hum. Therapies in the morning for two boys and school work in the afternoon for one of them.

We had fish chowder for supper. It was lift over from last Friday. Everyone really likes it and better the second time around.

DsT stopped in to get some clothes and give hugs. He seems calmer than a year ago or even 6 months.

Sweet dreams

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  05:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! 26 and sunshine. Yesterday started out sunny, then it got windy, and then it snowed. Four deer were up on the hill behind the house early in the day. They don't care for windy weather so as soon as it started blowing they disappeared.
Heading to town this morning to drop off a load of things at the thrift store and take a look around two new antique stores that have opened.
Hope everyone is well and has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  06:25:00 AM  Show Profile
I give some of my students small gifts for working hard and having a good attitude. I make them the folded paper stars that I send in every Farmgirl Mail package. One of my students gave me a gift in return.

Akmed goes to a day care where they make crafts. He made this flower of wired ribbon there. He is in third grade and has trouble reading. What I like about him is that he is very curious and asks some good questions. He loves to spell. Unfortunately, he may be taken off the program because he is not progressing. Just breaks my heart.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  5:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Some people read early, some read what is considered on time and some read later. Some people's skills are not academic. They can be very bright and talented in other areas as Akmed so clearly demonstrates. The flower is lovely.

Yesterday reached 50 F. Today dipped to 8 F plus the wind. We have received ten new inches of snow in the last couple of days.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  6:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,

Well, after being on the forum for several years now (some years more than others), i finally can join this thread! I'm so excited to get to know you all and glean from your vast store of experience, knowledge and farmgirl ingenuity.

A little bit about me: i have been blessed to be married to an absolute sweetie for almost 29 years. Although trained as a social worker, I have spent the last 20 years homeschooling our 4 boys (ages 24, 21, 16, and 6). Now that the youngest is 6, i have been asking myself, 'what do I want to do next???" Even though our youngest still needs lots of care, i'm finding i have a teeny bit more time and i'm excited just thinking about how to fill it.

I love to quilt, make jam, garden, hike, and i have a ridiculously soft heart for animals. Our home is located in a lovely wooded area - great for hiking; not so great for gardening. After many failed attempts with veggies, i now grow berries and keep a fairly large herb garden. Although we have had chickens for many years, we currently are down to one, sweet, 10 year old bantam rooster who use to be our son's farmshow bird. I hope to add more chickens and rabbits soon!

Guess that's it for now...may you all have a blessed night.

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  10:05:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Dena! We have a pretty broad range of folks here, so glad to add you to the mix.

I am tired of hearing myself say "Oh I am soooooo cold!" I keep telling myself I am not going to say it again and then I hear it come out of my mouth. Arrrgh. Can hardly wait for spring. I stayed home yesterday because there was a little snow, and customers just do NOT come in when it's like that. So I had a nice day of warm feet and productivity at home. Today it is sunny and beautiful, and the snow was not that much, so it didn't interrupt our lives like it did further north.

But I am sooooooo cold!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marilyn :-)

You're not going to believe it, but if you are in Oxford, we are only about 30 minutes from each other! I am in Honey Brook. We almost bought a farmhouse in Oxford last summer so i know exactly where it is!

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  12:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh funny! I guess I didn't even look at your location before -- yes, I know where Honey Brook is. I love Oxford -- true small town America.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2017 :  4:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

When we had RR numbers and box numbers ours was 5620 which is your farm girl number Dena. Now we have 911 addresses. Not as anonymous. Welcome to the board.

It was 8 F most of the day. The wind was so brisk that I could see the trees sway without my glasses on this morning. There is supposed to be an eclipse as I write but since our house faces west and the moon rises in the east we can not see it. Oh, well. At least it in mostly clear so we can see the stars and the people who face east can see the moon. If it were not so frigid out I would walk out into the fields and see if I could see the moon. I am too warm right now to have any ambition to become an ice cicle.

Lazy supper. we had biscuits and eggs.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  06:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dena! Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.
Marilyn, I know how you feel. All the years we lived in Louisiana and Texas I thought I missed winter. Then we retired and moved back up north and I realized I had been wrong all those years.
Holly, biscuits and eggs sounds like a great supper to me.
I'm going to take a walk then do a little spinning. Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page