craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  05:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Raining here this morning. We got a load of soil for the new raised bed and were going to work on that today but I guess it will have to wait a bit. I planted more flowers in beds and planters yesterday.
I will probably do some spinning today. Got some beautiful new fiber that I am wanting to use.
Hope everyone is well. Have a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  07:01:34 AM  Show Profile
We have sunshine! I had a great walk uptown -- stopped for coffee and a quick chat with my coffeehouse friends. Shaping up to be a quiet day here, so plenty of time for needlepoint.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2017 :  10:47:19 PM  Show Profile
My song right now is "Make the World Go Away" by Eddy Arnold. Mom had her knee replacement--the surgery went OK. But she will not be able to walk anytime soon. She went into a rehab unit today and may be there 2 weeks--or longer. My dad cannot stay by himself, and he was going kinda crazy on Tuesday. My brother called me to come over and watch dad while he (my brother) searched on-line for a place where dad can stay. He said it will likely be permanent, as my mom won't be able to deal with both her knee and my dad when she gets out of rehab. So today dad went to stay in a nursing home with a memory care unit. It is a nice home--my aunt was there for several years. It has a good reputation and is clean, no smell. When i walked down the hall, people were walking around, visiting with each other, not slouched in wheelchairs like some nursing homes I've seen (and one where I briefly worked long ago). It is on the same grounds as the hospital where my mom is, so I don't have to drive all over to visit them. I am feeling overwhelmed. For the time being, my parents' duplex apartment is vacant, and I have to check on it and pick up the mail. There are bills that need to be paid, and mom had some payment coupons in a book for her insurance payments, and I gave the payment book and her checkbook to her last night so she could write out some checks---I visited her today and she gave me the checks and checkbook (not safe to keep it there) and when I got home, I discovered she had filled out the two payment coupons but hadn't written the checks to go with them. It was a small amount, so i wrote two checks to cover it cause they are due May 1st. The ledger is also off. She has down that she wrote two checks, but when I looked at the numbers of the checks she supposedly wrote, one of them was still in the checkbook and hadn't been filled out. I will contact my brothers this weekend. I think my oldest brother is coming home this weekend. He has financial power of attorney. I guess I need to send him an e-mail. I went to my support group tonight cause I really needed it, so I have been quite busy this evening. I also noticed that my eye was hurting me yesterday, couldn't figure out why. Today at work someone noticed my eye was red, so I looked at it, and it looks like a broken blood vessel, but it hurts and there is a lot of pressure behind it. Also noticed tonight that my eye area is swollen underneath that eye. Broken blood vessels don't cause symptoms like that. So I don't know what it is. I am debating whether I should work tomorrow, as I noticed today that it puts a lot of pressure on my eye when I move those linen carts around (filled with linen, they may weigh 500+ pounds. So I don't know if it is a good idea to work tomorrow or not. I have an appt. to see my allergist in the afternoon, so perhaps he will know what is going on. It could be allergy related, I suppose. But I looked on-line, and I suspect there may be an issue with my immune system. I have taken so many meds. lately, and I know at least one of them lowered my immune system. If I was around someone with an infection, i could have picked up an infection myself. So I have too much on my plate right now. That is why I have been listening to "Make the World Go Away". I honestly don't know if my mom will ever be able to walk without help in the future, and my brothers have decided that dad needs to stay in a facility permanently--I kinda feel like I lost both my parents overnight. And at my support group tonight, one member just lost his mother today. We didn't know until he said something about it. He has been worried for a long time about losing his mother, and we were amazed at how well he seems to be handling it. Seems to be. He is still in shock. He may surprise us and handle it better than we, or he, thought he would. He is autistic, so his life has not been easy. No matter how my life seems, there is always someone worse off than me. At least I have coping skills and am very persistent. If not for those qualities, I don't know where I would be today. I don't know where I, or any of us, will be tomorrow. I have read that a lot of people feel that way right now. I treasure all the women I have met through the Farmgirl Connection. You have made me stronger and more compassionate.Your stories are incredible. I wish we could extend this feeling of connection to the entire world. Because I am worried.
cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  05:46:12 AM  Show Profile
We had thunderstorms and wind Friday night, lots of damage in the area from trees falling. DH and I went to a native plant sale at the state park near our house Saturday morning and there were so many trees broken or down. One of the rangers just kept looking around and saying "my poor park". Lots of clean up to do. Then there were the tornadoes near where we used to live in Texas that caused so much devastation. this weather has been something.
Yesterday I went to a fiber festival in the southern part of the state. Got several kinds of beautiful fiber for spinning.
I hope things are getting better with your parents Cindy.
Supposed to get more rain today, so I'm going to try and get my walk in early.
Have a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  07:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

Today is a perfect day to be locked up in my quilting studio! I haven't spent a full day in my studio in so long ... it will be nice ... unless my ADDH kicks in and I'm all over the place! Focus Carole, Focus ..... Squirrel! lol

Cindy, to do hope that things will settle for you soon.

Karin, the weather has been crazy in any areas. I do hope everyone is safe.

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile
We have cold rain here today. Lowell wasn't clear with the band members so he doesn't know if they are coming today. He is rather stir crazy right now.

I will be going to the Ortho doctor tomorrow to learn when I can get the splint off. I'm not in any real hurry. Strange, isn't it?

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  5:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a little thunder this morning,,,,, a little rain as well. Overcast all day. Yesterday was a cold day. Saturday was lovely in the afternoon. On Saturday morning I volunteered at the Winooski Natural Resource Conservation District' plant sale. People pre order and pick up that day. Most years there are extra plants to sell but they did not have any this year. The organizers are trying to figure out a way to make a profit with less work. Anyway, I picked up my trees, a pear, an apricot, a plum, a cherry, two blueberries, two raspberries, an elderberry and three apples. DsC and I planted them all.

Does anyone know hoe to make pictures with cloth? I have a line drawing with some words and the picture is an old woman's head. I want to make that in cloth. I had thought of doing needlepoint or cross stitch or rug hooking but I am not very good at choosing colors or shading.

Do any of you live in an area that chapparel grows? I have been reading about herbs and this is an important one although United Plant Savers says it is an endangered one.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  06:58:50 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- are you thinking something like appliqueing the lady's head with different fabrics? Or since it's a line drawing, maybe you could just do outline stitch and embroider it? I guess I would have to see the picture and have a clearer idea of what you wanted to do. I myself am an old woman and sometimes I feel like my head is made of cloth! ha ha ha ha

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  08:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

Holly, EQ makes a product that allows you to photocopy a picture etc on cloth called EQ Printable inkjet fabric sheet. The fabric has a thread count of 200 and you use it on your inkjet printer. It is great for memory quilts, fabric scrapbooks and quilt labels. That's what I use for printing out henhouse badge logo. Works great!

We also had a storm last night ... the wind was hollering! Picked up a few branches in the drive way before going for my morning power walk/jog. I'm so glad we took down the huge Bass wood tree in the middle of the front yard! That was a disaster in waiting!

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  6:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

Yes, I was thinking of making the head out of different color materials. There is an artist here in Vermont who has done it many times. I of course can not remember her name right now.

I will look at the EQ product. I will have to see if my printer will work with it. Thank you for the tip.

DsC and I planted some wild ginger today that I had purchased from Prairie Moon Nursery. I hope it naturalizes in my woods. I have been reading a book of essays from United Plant Savers. Rosemary Gladstar is one of the editors. She talks about the old growth forests and habitats having been cut and destroyed and now the forests that have grown to replace them are missing many of the links. The plants that were the world's medicine cabinet need to be replanted and nourished so they do not go extinct. Someone in the book talks about each person making a plant sanctuary in their yard whether they have a part of an acre or many acres. So, I am continuing what has already been started in my woods.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  11:46:32 PM  Show Profile
it rained a lot here over the weekend and now there is flooding. Supposed to get more rain. Went to the dr. today and found out the reason my eye has been red and sore is due to a viral infection. My mom should get out of rehab on Friday. It has been chilly here, more like March than May, and something is wrong with my furnace. I turned it off but the blower just keeps blowing on and on. The air coming out is not warm. I am starting to think that life is out to get me--ha ha. Seriously, I know what is wrong--my immune system is severely compromised and I need to get it back to normal. Anyone have suggestions? I have a reishi extract that I take. I drink kefir for probiotics, and I try to eat healthy. I see my doctor and my therapist on Thursday, and I think I may need some time off from work. I simply cannot keep going like this. Feel like I am about to drop from exhaustion. It is hard to even think straight. I used to love going for drives in my car, now I feel so tired I am almost afraid to drive. People keep making demands of me, at work, my family life, the medical establishment---I am ready to tell them all to go jump in a lake.
cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 03 2017 :  05:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! It's 38 this morning and not supposed to get above 55 today. The rest of the week is going to be this way. I'm glad I didn't put in my vegetables yet.
We have many native plants on our property that have been multiplying since DH started tending the place. We have a large patch of wild ginger that is doing very well. He will be transplanting some in the future in other areas. People around here are working hard to bring the native plants back and having them flourish.
Marie, hope your arm is healing well.
Deborah and Cindy, you both have a lot on your plates right now. Stress can and will do a number on your health. Hope things begin to calm down and you can both devote more time to getting strong again.
Have a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  4:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a very lovely day. T shirt temperatures and sunshine. I spent most of the day outside. Earlier in the week dsC and I planted wild ginger that I had purchased. Today while walking in the woods I think I found some wild ginger leaves growing just a short ways away. I am excited to know that I already have some growing. Several years ago I purchased some ginseng seeds. I planted many of them in the fall those three years ago. Today I planted the rest. I do not know if any of the fall planting came up and do not know if any of this spring planting will germinate but they are better off in the ground than in my cupboard.

I am glad to listen to you, Deborah. I can not do any thing except provide a listening eye. I am glad you do have some bright spots in the murkiness.

I am glad you are working on bringing back the native plants. Maybe they have a chance if many people help.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  05:00:38 AM  Show Profile
It is supposed to be nice today, after all that rain. My mom is home now, as well as my dad. I saw my doctor and my therapist the other day and they both agree I am suffering from depression. I have all the physical symptoms---constantly tired, my sleep is all messed up, confusion, forgetfulness, I can't drive far without having to pull over and rest, I am messing up when feeding my animals--in the past two weeks, there have been two nights where I fed my dog twice because I forgot I'd fed him the first time, and i gave my bird water instead of food in his food dish one night---didn't realize it till the next day. i feel grouchy and irritable, and I just had to run--actually run--to the bathroom and now I am sick at both ends. I just can't take it anymore. I am taking a medical leave of absence from work. I just feel completely overwhelmed and stressed out. I worked the whole time i was sick with bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, etc., only calling off twice because i was coughing so much they would have sent me home if I'd gone to work. i've had five call-offs in the past twelve months, and there was one day i had to leave after six hours---now my boss wants to know what i intend to do about my "excessive absenteeism". I can't take it anymore. And the thing is, the reason I was sick for four months straight is because of a cold i caught last December---a cold that was going around AT WORK. They KNOW I have serious respiratory issues, they KNOW something like that can happen if I catch a cold, and they KNOW I work at a place where I am exposed to people who are sick---don't they KNOW that putting too much pressure on a person can literally make them even more sick? I try my best to succeed and they seem determined to make me fail. Sorry, I am a mess right now. At least my parents are home now. I told my mom that she is going to have to utilize home health care because i cannot be relied on right now to be able to be there if needed.
I hope everyone has a good day. it is supposed to be sunny and warm here so maybe the sun will make me feel better. Even my outdoor plants looked sad when it was raining so much. I had to pour about a gallon of water, total, off my fairy garden planter over three days cause the pot apparently doesn't drain. Today is supposed to be a normal May day. And the Kentucky Derby is today. I have no idea what horses are running, as I've seen nothing about it in the paper. Too much other news. I am going to get some tomato plants today to replace the seedlings I had that died (don't know why). My pepper and eggplant seedlings are doing OK.
Jaxon knows I haven't been myself lately and he is such a good dog, always trying to cheer me up. I take care of him and he takes care of me. I don't know what I would do without a friend like that.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile
Today is a beautiful day here also. I wish I could work on the garden but because I am moving I haven't and won't do anything. It really needs tending because the raspberry bushes are spreading and will have to be pulled out soon. So far the onions and chives are up. The prairie grasses and irises are doing well.

My arm is now in a brace. I am able to take it off to take a shower. Oh, how wonderful that was!! The arm is still weak and stiff. Every evening I unwrap my arm and clean it off with a wipe. I then put on a nice lotion. Lastly, I put arnica gel on the surgical wound. I don't know if any of this helps but the routine is calming.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 06 2017 :  5:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

Sorry for all your stress, Cindy.I am glad you have Jaxon. I like to talk to my animals because they don't tell my secrets and they don't judge me either. One step at a time, one day at a time. The sun sure does help.

Glad your cast is off, Marie. Try vitamin E on the wound. It will help your scar heal more cleanly. I bought some sweet grass from Prairie Moon Nursery in Minnesota. I hope when I finally get it planted it will thrive. I put it in pots temporarily until I can get the ground tilled where I want to put it. Sweet grass is a sacred grass of Native people. A gift to give not to sell.

DdK and C are in Mexico at a wedding. A destination wedding. I am home with everyone else. I am not sad that I did not go. The wedding is C's niece and I have had no relationship with her during her growing up because when C's mother was alive she did not want me around so I was not invited to any family gatherings. C's mother thought we were yicky. So, I am at home. Realistically, I could not have gone anyway because the cow must be milked and there is really no one to do respite with our adult foster daughters. I am glad she is having a good time.

It was overcast most of the day. It poured in the morning.

I spoke to my brother yesterday. He is in rehab now and doing well. He is eating and getting stronger. He is looking forward to going home. I was glad to speak with him and hear him stronger.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  05:48:19 AM  Show Profile
The sun is shining and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.
One of my nephews and his wife are stopping today on their way home from Kentucky. A new farmers' market is opening in town so we will go there and look around and then have lunch someplace. Then they will head north.
I am glad your arm is doing well Marie. Have you found a new home?
So glad to hear your brother is continuing to recover Holly. DH really likes Prairie Moon.
Cindy, I know how horribly difficult depression can be. I agree with Holly, a day at a time. Keeping you in my thoughts as you heal yourself.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin
Sister#2708

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 07 2017 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, we found a new place. The apartment is the first luxury apartment building to be built in the trendy Uptown neighborhood. Now there are so many of them built and being built along 28th Street. Trains used to run along the depression there. It is now called The Greenway and it is a trail for bikers and walkers in the middle of South Minneapolis. We could never be able to afford the $2161 rent (includes pets and parking) on our own. Our apartment faces south and overlooks an inner courtyard with a hot tub and grills. I'll send pictures when I have them.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  12:18:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh Holly -- I love that description -- yicky! Sounds like your spring is well underway, even up north. We had a very warm spell with plenty of rain, so everything bloomed and sprouted and exploded. Now it has cooled off, so our salad garden is very very happy. We have birds of every description, and they are all fighting for space in the birdhouses. It is fun to watch them all and so hard NOT to interfere!!! I am still waiting for that last harbinger of true spring on our place -- the Rose Breasted Grosbeak. They show up for about 2 weeks every spring and hang out at the birdbath rock, and that's how I know it is truly TRULY spring.

The clock man came today and reinstalled Grandpa Tick-Tock's innards. He was pretty seized up, but now he's all pretty and shiny and moving freely. It will be so nice to have him chiming along. So many times I have looked over there and his hands were gone -- I missed him!

We are supposed to be getting more rain for this weekend. We have only been out on the boat once this season so far and are getting antsy. Looks like this will be another land-lubber's weekend. Sigh. Oh well, always plenty to do. I am knitting more sox for His Dudeness, and I can do that whatever the weather.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  5:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I was hoping for some sunshine this morning when I woke and the cloud cover was thin. But, it was not to be. Temperatures were in the high forties, however and that makes the house so easy to keep warm.

The carrots are up in the garden. The garlic is as well. I planted some scapes and they are little green shoots. I wonder how long it takes for the scapes to grow into some reasonable size for eating.

DsC is reading a book from the Brotherband series by John Flanagan for his homeschool read out loud. At the beginning of this school year he was reading books at around third grade. This book says it is for 10 yo and up. It has a lot of hard words. We read a chapter a day and it takes a long time like and hour to read the 6 to 8 pages out loud and figure out all of the words. He is getting pretty good at sounding out the syllables. American is such a hard language to learn to read. I think there must be more exceptions than rules. He is understanding it as well. He is looking forward to reading the next chapter. For a boy who was only willing to read graphic books this is progress.

C and ddK had a good time in Mexico. C was able to visit with her sister and nieces. she made her own good time.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 10 2017 :  7:14:26 PM  Show Profile
It has been nice here since all that flooding. Marie, sounds like you have a nice new place. How is your arm healing? Are the "menfolk" settling into their new place? Karin, is it warm in Indiana? It felt pretty warm today. I know it got into the 80's. Marilyn--Grandpa Tick-Tock must be glad to get his innards back! It's a miracle what surgeons can do these days.....he he. Holly--garlic scapes don't get real big, but they are tasty. I have marjoram sprouting up in the wine crate I turned into a planter--i've never grown this herb before, should be interesting. I went to get some blood drawn today. I have been reading about the asthma medicines I have been taking---they can cause adrenal insufficiency, and I have ALL the symptoms. I have been monitoring my blood pressure and the bottom number is often too low. I have low BP but when the bottom number gets too low, it makes me tired and light-headed. I still think there is a physical cause for the way I feel, since my mood doesn't seem depressed--just grouchy, but maybe that's just me in my old age! I also had a disturbing dream a few nights ago---I have had dreams like that before, and they are warnings of POSSIBLE danger. I have learned to just be patient, and give them time---I have learned they are not meant to scare me, but to warn me. I talk to God about them, and I am grateful that, in the event they do come true, He has at least warned me, and I am somewhat prepared. The best defense is a good offense, they say. I have been blindsided many times before. It is not fun. God is at work in this world, no matter what happens.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
So I had a real mash-up of a dream last night. My daughter and I had to go upstairs into a sort of dormitory-kind of bedroom to clean it up. A couple of rows of little twin beds, all with multiple old-timey postcard wool quilts on them (like the ones we had growing up). Each of the beds had just been tossed and not made up for ages, and several of them had been wet. I started to take the quilts off the first bed, and they were so worn that they were falling apart at the seams. Then I woke up.

My take --- My oldest grandson is off doing his enlistment physical for the Marine Corps. It's an overnight thing, so I'm sure that's what the multiple beds in a dormitory was from. I know he wants to pass the physical and get enlisted, but my Mamaw heart is scared to pieces for him. Sigh -- wish they didn't grow up so quickly.

The quilts have to be some kind of nod to family. My grandmother worked in a suit factory after my grandfather died, and she kept lots of fabric samples, which she cut using postcards as templates. Then she sewed them together and tied them as huge heavy comforters. They were nearly indestructible, and we used them forever. Every once in a while, my mother would stitch a new flannel sheet to the back of them to stabilize them as they developed holes. "Sheet blankets" we called them back then.

My daughter was there for obvious reasons. Not only does she clean my house for me, but she has been having so much anxiety over getting this kid's deadlines all met and worrying about him passing/not passing the physical. (He has been having some hearing loss from an ear infection and they weren't altogether sure he would pass)

And the wet beds? A Facebook friend of mine -- she's a coworker of my little brother who lives in Yokohama -- has a pet bunny who pee-pees in her bed just about every morning.

So I am not looking for a mystical meaning behind this particularly vivid dream. Just a mash-up of my mind!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I meant to say last night that a sign for me as well is the evening grosbeaks returning. So, today guess who appeared on my porch? A male evening grosbeak in all his yellow splendor. We have not had evening grosbeaks in several years maybe five. We used to have many come every year and they stayed all summer and raised their babies. it was so fun to watch the babies sit on the telephone wire and the parents would fly to the feeder and back to feed the babies. Some years we have rose breasted grosbeaks as well. But now so many.

If I remember my dreams there are parts of them that come true. Sometimes that scares me so I work hard to forget. Now that I am older I am less frightened.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile
I haven't seen an evening grosbeak in ages! Something else to hope for. We did get buzzed by a low-flying Baltimore oriole the other evening -- that was pretty cool. Still waiting for my rose breasted grosbeak to appear.

Grandson passed his physical and is all enlisted and sworn in. His ship date is not until November 6, but they may gets spots open before then, so he could go as early as August. Hurry up and wait, as they say. In the meantime, I guess this means he can work at scout camp over the summer.

We went with some friends last night to the Fulton Theater in Lancaster, PA, to see "Always, Patsy Cline." What a treat that was! The theater is lovely and the two actresses were just terrific. The woman who played Patsy Cline had a spectacular voice. I recommend the show if you get a chance to see it.

Today is sunny and cool. More of the same. Supposed to rain over the weekend. We have lots of shade-loving plants to get into the ground, so there will be plenty to do. Enjoy your Mother's Day, everyone!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 12 2017 :  5:03:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a lovely day here in the Green Mountains. The clouds were tricky this morning but finally went on their merry way and we had sun all afternoon. T shirt weather. DsC and I worked on the pig fence. Two sections of posts fell down over the winter. I need to get them up in the next three weeks or so. The piglets may be big enough by then to be outside the barn. We also put grass seed on the bare places that last year's pigs had dug up. I hope three weeks is enough for the seed to get started and established. The pigs won't really root for a while.

We also dragged more logs up to my hugelkultur bed. I started it last year and it may not get finished until next but it is a good way to use the downed pine logs and branches. I am hoping that after everything is stacked and covered with hay and manure that it will create enough heat decomposing to keep lavender warm in this climate.

I see that the violet leaves are up. I am hoping to pick some violet flowers and coat them with sugar this year. I have wanted to do that for the last two years. My hands shake so handling flowers that small to brush with egg whites will be a challenge.

Congratulations to your grandson. It is a good way for young people who do not have direction to grow up. I pray there will not be a war to send them too.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page