craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 14 2017 :  05:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Happy Mother's Day! Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day here. We'll be going to DD's house shortly. Mother's Day brunch, then she and I are going to Wine and Canvas. It's always fun to paint with her.
We have had several rose breasted grosbeaks in the last couple of weeks. I'm not really familiar with the evening grosbeak so not sure if they have been here.
I'm interested in hearing how your hugelkultur bed does. It looks like it is going to stay above 55 at night so I can finally get the rest of my vegetables planted.
Congratulations to your grandson. I know you are proud of him. I also pray for him and all our servicemen and women that they are kept safe.
Have a great day all.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 14 2017 :  10:55:36 AM  Show Profile
The kids made a cute card with a flower pen stuck into a paper vase on the front. On the inside was a pretty picture on which they wrote themselves. One kid wrote "Thank you Mom For always being there to save me from dady (sic)." I smiled and gave it back. Anyway I made one for mt mom and sent it out yesterday.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - May 14 2017 :  11:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Happy Mother's Day, Ya'll!!

My best to all,
Mel
Farmgirl #1463
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Goddesses of the Iris
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 14 2017 :  4:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A few days ago it was an evening grosbeak. They are a yellow version of the rose breasted grosbeak. We have seen no more of the evening grosbeak. Today we had one male rose breasted grosbeak. I rushed out to put more seed in the feeder. Here in Vermont there is a rule that feeders are brought in at the beginning of April so we do not feed the bears that are coming out of hibernation. We have chickens that eat the seed that falls to the ground so I am hoping we do not have bear come into the garage looking for the source of the seed. The seed is on the porch which is on top of the garage.

Glad to hear from you Mel.

It was rainy and overcast most of the day. cold, so we did not get the outside chores done that we were hoping to do when the big boys were here. Maybe next weekend.

Marie I hope that little boy is safe.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 21 2017 :  12:41:01 AM  Show Profile
We had a storm come through the other morning, brief, but it did some damage. I woke up at 5:00 am and the wind was blowing and gusting. Then the power went out, then it came back on. This happened several times. I was briefly without internet service. Things have calmed down since then.
My dr. said I could go back to work, but I have to be cleared first by occupational health since i was off for a while. So I see occupational health on Monday afternoon. I had some blood work done and my vitamin D and ferritin (iron) levels were low, but they were low last year as well. I still feel tired a lot, but no longer exhausted. I have gotten a lot of rest. My dr. did refer me to an endocrinologist, whom I will see on tuesday. The blood work showed some signs that might indicate poor adrenal functioning. I have also been monitoring my blood pressure---I tend to have low blood pressure, but here are some of the readings: 131/55, 66/51, 87/45, 115/54. Those are the most extreme, but still, the way my blood pressure varies so much, from one minute to the next, alarms me. My dr. didn't seem concerned by it. Think it's time to find another doctor...
I have been hearing an owl somewhere behind my house. I can't tell what tree is is coming from. I think it must be a juvenile barred owl, as it seems to be "practicing" and doesn't sound like any owl I've ever heard. I like owls, especially barred owls.
I guess everyone has been busy, as nobody has posted for awhile. I have not been busy, just sleeping. Feeling exhausted is a lousy way to feel. I want to get back to real life.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 21 2017 :  07:47:45 AM  Show Profile
I have been trying to cull and sort and pack. I have to work out the time and financial logistics of the move. In a perfect world, I would have been planning this after I had finished work, had more time and my arm was totally healed.

We have been getting a great amount of rain and everything is so green.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 21 2017 :  4:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

I take 5000 IU of vitamin D3 everyday. MY levels are with in normal ranges. Our nurse practitioner says that the only time we are able to receive enough vitamin D3 from the sun is in June, July and August this far north. I do not know anything about abnormal iron levels I have not had to deal with any of my family members having odd numbers so I have not had to learn about it.....yet. I hope you feel well soon.

Today was a lovely day. I worked outside most of it with dsC and dsG. We made three raised beds in the other field with pallets. Then we had to bring over hay from the barn to put in the bins. then I brought over manure to put on top of the hay in the bin. I still have to put more soil to put on top and then to plant the flowers or herbs.

The black flies are nasty. There are a lot of them this year. Not many mosquitoes yet.

The spinach is almost ready to pick. The radishes are ready to pick. Soon we will have enough fixings for a salad.

Good luck moving, Marie.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  10:15:08 AM  Show Profile
Marie, I now join you in the injured ranks. We were working on our awning ant the whole thing let loose and right into me, knocking me over and down I went, right on my right arm. My left leg and hip twisted pretty badly. When I got up, I knew my wrist was broken, but could not walk I was in so much pain from my hip. We ended up going to the ER. My hip was okay, but the muscles got hurt, and my wrist is broken. Got a splint on it, and lots of pain meds. I can walk a little bit now, but not much. At least the muscle spasms quit. I cannot get into an orthopedic Dr. until June 1st, so will be laying low until then.
We are still waiting to hear on our mobile home. I am beginning to think that the lady we are buying it from cannot get a loan for the place she wants. She did say that she has to close by May 31, so we will see what happens in the next week. We are getting tied of waiting. She has our down payment since March 8th.
Marie, hope the men are helping you pack.
I am getting tired, so will post more later,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile
I'd rather have lady friends help me sort, toss and pack. We understand why we collect jars, string, yarn and orphan socks. Men are always asking why we keep the things we do and they want it explained. All of us girls just understand.

Oh Jan! I can feel that pain. I can have the splint off now and am being encouraged to move it around to reduce its stiffness.

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on May 23 2017 10:49:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 23 2017 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

OW, Jan. Sorry to hear you fell. I hope that dh was helpful at the time of the fall and is being helpful now.
Good luck with the trailer. I was thinking of you because you had not posted in a while and I was wondering if you had started your travels north for the summer. I have space to park and RV and a spare bedroom but not a summer cottage.

Patience, Marie. it must surely be what you need if the men in your life are trying to help you pack.

I bought a new chain for my saw. the package said it would fit it but it must not be the right size because I have burned two bars using it. I will have to mark it no good and put it aside. I guess I have to just sit down and sharpen the chains I know work. I can not get over to the store that sells Stihl products until Monday and I am chomping to get going on some projects.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  07:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Jan -- Hope you are feeling better soon. Odd things can happen and change everything in a flash, can't they? I hope the new trailer works out for you, as well.

We are having off-and-on weather here. Lots of rain, which the garden loves, but is not nice for playing outside -- ha ha. Not sure what the upcoming long weekend will bring, but we have plans for sun or shade, so we'll enjoy it whatever comes. I had ordered several winterberry plants and the nursery called to say they have finally arrived, so we will go pick them up and get them planted. Also need a few azaleas and a couple of rhodies to add out back. It never ends, but every little bit makes things prettier.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 25 2017 :  06:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Got back last night from visiting DH's sister and her husband for a few days. They are both starting to have some health issues and we are feeling the need to spend time with them. It rained a good bit of the time but we still had a lovely visit. Took the dog for runs in the woods and fields, found lots of bargains at a store that seems to carry a little of everything, had dinner at a sweet little family restaurant, and just sat and talked. She's always been my favorite of his brothers and sisters.
Our DD and her husband had their little dog put to sleep Sunday. She was starting to have some problems and the vet thought she had a brain tumor. Meds helped a little for a while, but the last week she deteriorated very quickly and was obviously suffering. They could not bear to see her suffering so much, so made the very difficult decision. They are both having a hard time losing her. I am going to puppysit with the other dog tomorrow for 5 days, and it is going to be strange and sad not having the little one there.
Jan, so sorry to hear about your injuries. Hope you feel better quickly and have a full recovery.
Marie, I agree with you about the packing. Glad to hear that your arm is coming along well.
Hope everyone is well and has a nice weekend.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a lovely day here in the Green Mountains. The sun was out off and on but the temperatures were not too hot to be outside. The black flies, however were very demanding. Big dsR came to visit. He and dsC helped me repair one side of the pig pen. I need to get more zip ties to attach the tires to the wire fencig so the pigs can not lift it up and escape. I have one more large section to fix. Maybe tomorrow. The other section has ledge not to far down in the hole so maybe I need to move the hole so I can make it deeper. I'll see.

We moved some manure to the garden in the afternoon. Last frost date is this weekend so maybe I can get the beans and other temperature sensitive seeds planted soon. I am not happy with the chickens. Someone has been scratching in a couple of my beds. We had our first salad from the garden tonight. Mostly spinach, beet greens, chives, a couple of radishes and some other vegetables from the refrigerator.

I saw a hawk fly off with one of the snakes that lived here. It was a large snake. I like to see the snakes I think it means we have a healthy ecosystem I like to see the hawks too.

The big Tom turkey was strutting again tonight. He was following a turkey hen hoping she would notice him.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 27 2017 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile
It was a beautiful day here also. We took our old dining room table to Savers today. We won't need it in the new place. I believe we have enough boxes now. I have hired the movers and gotten a couple volunteers with vehicles. I just need to hire the cleaners and make certain we have all the money we need. I believe we can be done in three hours. I will be happy to be done.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  9:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Weather has been nice here as well. I am back at work, the endocrinologist ordered a test, and i found out I have been right all along---my cortisol level is low, as a result i feel tired all the time.Now I need more tests to determine exactly what is causing it. I feel relieved, now that I know i was right, and that I was NOT imagining it, as my doctors seemed to believe. Now the goal is to get well. I don't like feeling this way. My computer is acting goofy, it keeps acting like a picture is about to unexpectedly display on the screen, but then it doesn't. Weird. I don't like technology when it acts strange. I think i will sign off before it acts any stranger. Good night,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could get on here more often. I do miss all the conversations we used to have,
I got new xrays and my wrist is broken just by the joint. I did not need surgery or to have it set. Got a cast put on. I will need it on for 4 weeks, then a splint again. It is really bruised and sore. My hip is starting to feel a little better,I can finally walk a little ways now.
We went to the insurance company last week to make sure the orthopedic dr. was in our network, and to find a medical dr. to go to. They have wellness nurses and the state of the art equipment there, so we both had our cholesterol, blood sugar, weight and blood pressure taken. Well, Bob's b/p was so high, they ended up calling the ambulance. He ended up in the hospital for 3 days. All the drs. say they have never seen anyone with such high blood pressure without having any symptoms. They said his heart could just stop at any time. So now we are both on diets and have a dr. appointment on the 12th. We both need to lose weight. His b/p is still high and he is now on 4 meds for it. Changing our habits. BUT now, I cannot do my water aerobics at the pool.
We are hoping to start moving in a couple of weeks. Marie, how is it going with your move?
I will post more as soon as I can. Hope the rest of you are doing well and able to enjoy the spring weather.
Take care,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  09:47:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh Dear Jan! Maybe everything was working together so that you would find out that your husband needed to make some changes -- glad that they found out in time! I went on Weight Watchers last August because I knew I needed to lose some weight to look better, but I also knew that there's too much diabetes and high BP in my family for me to be carrying extra weight around. I have lost right at 35 pounds and feel so much better. Then in January, my 52-year-old baby brother had a stroke because of high BP, overweight, high cholesterol, etc. It has been a wake-up call kind of year for us.

Holly, I would love to have seen that hawk flying away with the snake. It is always interesting to me to see how the natural world (is there really any other?) works things together to make everything function. The farmer plants the corn, the mouse eats the corn, the snake eats the mouse, the hawk grabs the snake....on and on it goes. We are just stuck in the midst of it all somehow.

Going to dinner tonight to celebrate my eldest grandson's high school graduation. He has enlisted in the Marine Corps and will be shipping out no later than November. Sigh. I don't know where these years have gone.

Happy HAPPY Friday, everyone!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2017 :  4:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

WE had our first lightning and thunder storm day before yesterday. It was short lived. Areas north of us had warnings of high winds and hail. I watched the wind come across the mountains and up our road. I was speaking on the phone to a friend when it happened and she was impressed with my ability to tell how the wind looked as it came. She became blind in the early '80's.

I have picked spinach twice and dried. I filled up five trays with leaves and now have small amounts in quart freezer bags. I have read I can use the dried spinach in soups and pasta and such. I feel more successful than if I had tried to freeze them Time to plant a second crop. In past years we have made spinach lasagna and frozen it but I do not have the supplies yet to do that.

Sorry for all the broken bones and pain. I hope you heal well and quickly. I hope Bob will get off his duff now and exercise. Good luck to you, Jan.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2017 :  08:43:59 AM  Show Profile
I went to the dr. yesterday, all is well so far. I need to have the hard cast on for 3 more weeks, then if everything look good, they will put on a splint and start therapy. I can now move my fingers, and it is getting easier to sleep. I do miss the pool though.
Bob and I are both on a diet, I lost 2 inches and 2#. Bob did not lose any inches, but lost 4#, but of course, he is complaining about starving. He is 60# overweight and need so lose, whether he likes it or not.
We have been having lots of rain and thunderstorms. We again, ended up with electrical problems again, the AC crackled and started smoking and it wasn't even on. It blew out the inverter, so the refrigerator went out and the lights that run on the battery. About 3 hours later, the major cord to the rv was up in smoke where the surge protector is. Got the power box shut off, but now we have a burnt cord, last time it cost over $300.00 to get that fixed. The surge protector is melted right to the cord, so that is another $150.00. I do not know what an inverter cost, but if the AC is ruined, because it is heater also, runs around $2200.00! We do not have the money to fix it. We do have cords running and a small fridge and freezer plugged in, but no electric in the bathroom or hot water. We are just going to tough it out, since we are hopefully going to be moving in a couple of weeks. When it rains, it pours, heh?
Hope all is well with all of you. Take care,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  05:14:01 AM  Show Profile
Jan, glad to hear that your wrist seems to be healing well. I know what you mean about the electric problems and money flow out the door and am sorry your are having so many problems. We have a guest room and bath over our garage and the hot water heater went out. It is $1000 to put in a new 30 gal tank! Granted, that includes installation and hauling away the old one. DH said he could do it, but I called this one. He doesn't need to be doing all these things anymore. He always ends up aggravated How is the moving situation going? Hope you get into your new home quickly.
We have had a few beautiful days, low 70s and no humidity, but today we are supposed to be in the upper 80s to low 90s. My vegetables are doing well, but need a good rain.
DH was pulling some vines off a tree yesterday and startled a fawn. She watched him for a bit, then jumped in the air and ran off. Wish I could have seen her. The first two years we were here we saw lots and deer with their fawns, hardly any since. They don't come that close to the house anymore.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  09:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I am moved in and we have finally found all the things we need to function in our lives. Most of the furniture is where it is supposed to be. I believe we need to find some battery operated table lamps. The couch is in the middle of the living room and running cords across the floor is just not right.

I will have a craft area. Still not a room but there will be space and light. I will have my desk right next to the sewing table and my computer nearby. Harriet, my dress-maker's model, will have her own place where people won't bump into her. It will be so nice having a comfortable place to dream of and make functional art pieces.

I go to physical therapy today.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Karin, Too bad you did not get a chance to see the fawn. We had a deficiency of over 9 inches of rain for the year, but getting close to where we should be with all the rain we have had. It is the rainy season here now. Hot and humid. Glad your garden is doing so well.
Marie, Glad you finally got moved. We are still waiting here. May be another month for us. Boo! How nice that you will have your own space for crafting. Am happy for you. Are you further from work now though? Good luck with therapy. Mine should start in 3 weeks, I hope. At least I can move my fingers now.
Holly must be having computer problems again.
Marilyn, How are things going for you? I am sure you are busy with your gardens and outdoor activities. Back in Michigan we do not start our gardens until Father's day. The growing season is very short there.
Have a great day!!!

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2017 :  8:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Jan--I am glad you can move your fingers. Hands are something we take for granted until something happens to them. Marie, nice that you're all moved. Must be a relief. I have never liked moving.Once I am moved, then I am OK. I got the on-line results of my recent test back this evening. My dr. has been out of town all week so I haven't been able to talk to him yet. The numbers on the test were not good. In fact, they were bad. Not positive, but it appears I have Addison's Disease. Good news is, it can treated and doesn't interfere with a normal life. Bad news is, it is lifelong. John F. Kennedy had it. Only 1 in 100,000 people get it. gee, nice to know I'm special. Not. I guess it could be worse. I will need more tests to determine exactly what is going on, but now i should be able to begin treatment. And start feeling normal again. I told my co-workers to check on me periodically at work (I work in a room by myself) to make sure I was still standing and not passed out on the floor. I kept feeling like i might really pass out. At least now I know WHY. I took my BP yesterday morning and the bottom number was a 44. Too low. i thought it was a mistake so I waited a bit and took it again. It was a 45. No mistake. The worst thing is that i get leg cramps and spasms that hurt. I guess I will blame it on a bird I used to have--his name was Addison, Addie for short. he was an Indian ring-necked parakeet. Beautiful parrot. Kinda high strung. I eventually gave him to a breeder and he found a wife parrot. I guess they lived happily ever after. I am wondering what caused this disease, and I think it is either all the steroids I was taking earlier this year, or else, and this is something I've suspected for a long time, something is wrong with my immune system. people can get Addison's when their immune system overreacts and basically starts attacking itself. Maybe that has slowly been happening and when I got sick early this year, it went into crisis mode. Strange, but Jaxon had an immune system that went crazy last summer and he got extremely sick. It makes me wonder if there is something in the environment that has affected both me and my dog---but i can't imagine what it might be. bee---now that I think about it, i was attacked by those yellow jackets last September, and i think Jaxon MAY have been stung by them and that's what caused his meningitis. i have never been able to prove it. I sensed, after that attack, that something had gone haywire with my immune system.
I have too much on my mind.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  05:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Cindy, you sure have been going through a lot lately. Hope it all gets sorted out and you start feeling better soon. Maybe you can file for disability? I am sure it is hard to work feeling like that all the time.
We finally had 1 day without rain, but it is hot and humid. Hard with no AC right now. Oh well, could be worse. Beats freezing.
Off to take a shower and get my day started. Have a great day!

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2017 :  7:46:40 PM  Show Profile
I went to PT. The lady said the left wrist will heal. The problem is that she noticed that the muscles on my right hand has atrophied. She thinks it is nerve damage. I have no meat between my thumb and index finger. This could be a sign of ALS. My grandmother had it. I will be getting screened.

I'm scared.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page