Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  06:53:22 AM  Show Profile
How about a loose cobblestone?

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  09:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Sure, why not.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  1:33:55 PM  Show Profile
I think I'll give it to mom & dad, but we are going to Poland tomorrow. Lots of shopping to do. I hope we can ship stuff back.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  5:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I hear that there is good amber in Eastern Europe. Maybe you could find a nice piece with a good bug in it.

NIce and warm here today. High clouds. awful internet access.

I picked up dsC's bicycle from the shop and bought him shoes for camp. I was in a store that offered buy one get one half price. So, we picked out two pairs of sneakers and some shoelaces. One pair was like $54 and the other $57. The man rang them up and told me $54 I said that was not right. So, the other clerk took the items credited the account for each item and then told me $36. I asked, is this added to the $57. He said, I think so. I said, well if it is not then you gave me a better deal than the first man. I can not really tell from the receipt what went on. So, tomorrow when it hits our account I will be able to tell how much the bill really is. I did try to be honest. A friend said, in circumstances like that say thank you and leave the store.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  10:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the best amber is from Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania. I have a very nice amber necklace which had belonged to our Latvian grandmother.

Nes, just get me a little something that says it wants me to have it. If nothing does, that's okay too.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  12:08:27 AM  Show Profile
I got you some thing for Christmas. Lightweight & hopefully not breakable.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2017 :  06:39:43 AM  Show Profile
I love my sister so much. I trust her to know what I would cherish. Vanessa was always the peacemaker in our family.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  03:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Shopping is called off due to husband. We walked to several ceramic outlets and I feel that I have enough. Plus, just seeing all the patterns, bowls, pitchers, plates, serving dishes and all scared me. There was too much to choose from!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  03:53:06 AM  Show Profile

See? really not a lot. Some of these are gifts for my sister (apron), my sister-in-law who is watching the dogs (devilled egg dish) and my friend Slow Cooker Queen who has bees (spoon rest). But we walked a lot, & DH is wiped out. I may go out strolling & get some ice cream (after all, I need to use up the zloty!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2017 :  11:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

The dishes are all bright and cheery. I think you have done well. I hope they all make it home intact.

Very warm this afternoon. The hummingbirds are zooming around. I would truly like to get a good picture of one in flight but that is beyond my capabilities. I have some nice ones with the humming bird sitting on a branch.

I picked some blueberries this morning. They are ripening slowly. I am glad the turkeys are not eating them all this year.

Remember the moments of joy in your day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  5:53:17 PM  Show Profile
I think I have finally determined why I have been sick all year--I checked my basement, two of the corners have water damage, and there is yellow mold growing there. I looked up pictures of "black mold" and found it can be yellow in color--"black mold" refers to the specific toxins found in certain types of mold. I have all the symptoms---my head constantly feels foggy, I sometimes get blurred vision, my eyes are sensitive to light, I am always tired, I can't remember words when I am speaking, etc., etc. The corner of my living room above the moldy area in the basement also has water damage, and now I wonder if there is black mold under the plaster. I am going to have an inspector look at it. I also have an appt. to see my allergist--they can do a blood test to see if the toxins are in your system. I know someone who almost died after being exposed to this stuff. I already know that I am highly allergic to all kinds of mold, so it's no wonder this stuff may be making me sick.
I came home last week and there were six strange men from a tree service in my yard, and literally a TON of branches and stuff in my yard. I knew my neighbors planned on having some trees cut down (her tree snapped about twenty feet up and landed on my side of the fence. It took down her phone line. My lawn guy cut up the tree and removed it--did she say thank you? Did she offer to help pay for it? Did she ask my permission before all the trees ended up in my yard? Of course not). When I asked the tree guys what they were doing in MY yard, they basically laughed and blew me off. One of them was tossing branches over a privacy fence from my neighbor's yard into my back yard. I yelled at him to stop, and he laughed at me. So I called the police. The tree service did clean up all the branches, but they damaged the grass in my yard from dragging the stuff through my yard. Why did they use my yard, you ask? Because it was more convenient than using my neighbor's yard. Were they supposed to get my permission first? You betcha. Has anyone apologized or offered to help buy grass seed for my yard? Nope. I am so disappointed with these neighbors. My other neighbor thinks I shouldn't have called the police. She says I should have talked to the neighbors first. Well, I DID talk to one of them the day before it happened, and she didn't really care that her tree was in my yard. All she cared about was getting back her phone and internet. My lawn guy got that tree off her phone line so AT&T could put the line back up, and this is how she repays me? This is the same neighbor I had to block on Facebook cause she didn't like me expressing my opinion on my own FB page. I don't know what is wrong with people these days.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2017 :  6:03:00 PM  Show Profile
And no, I didn't file any charges. I was just very upset that the tree people were so rude to me, and that is why I called the police. I have been under a lot of stress lately, and I didn't need to come home to my yard covered with branches and strange men running around and laughing at me when I asked them questions. What would you have done in a situation like that? Also, the neighbor on the other side of the privacy fence, whom I don't even know--she called the police because I yelled at the guy in her yard to stop throwing branches in my yard. I didn't cuss, I didn't threaten, I just yelled "Stop doing that!" and she called the police, they got to her house in less than five minutes. What did she tell them I wonder? They must have thought she was loony cause they didn't say anything to me. I had already called the police before she did, but i hadn't told anyone, and I had to wait forty minutes for an officer to show up. She (the officer) agreed that they should have asked me first.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  12:38:47 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, isn't it sad that common courtesy isn't very common any more?
On the bright side, if the mold is causing your illness you can take steps to get rid of it and begin feeling better. I hope that the mold removal will be easily done.

We are heading home today. DH is homesick and I admit to missing hearing English and not having to use Google Translate all the time.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2017 :  2:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

I am glad I do not have neighbors although the woman who lives at the bottom of the hill believes she lives in high class suburbia and the rest of us are trash.

I might have asked the tree service to cut up the branches and chop the other stuff into chips so I could use it in my garden. I would have been upset by the audacity of assuming they could use my yard without asking. I saw a t shirt in the What on Earth catalog that reads " I hope manners are the next cool trend".

Over the weekend I bought eight and more cord of wood from a neighbor. He and his wife built a new house and she did not want a wood stove so they did not put one in. The land that was cleared for the new house had trees and he had them dragged to a spot to cut and split them. He was glad to sell them to me and I was glad to get a good price. Now I do not need to knock down the trees myself. So, yesterday we brought up 3 cord in trips in the pick up truck and threw it into the garage. Then we carried it into the barn to stack it. I did take two pain killlers when we were done. I did sleep well last night. We had some wood already in the barn because I like to get a year ahead. So, the end is in sight.

Have a good afternoon,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile
I did the home sleep study over the weekend. Should hear the results in a week or two. I am off work under FMLA. I cannot focus at all. My dr. is ordering an MRI for me. I am now off FB. It was not helping my mental health. I was feeling chilled to the bone by some of the comments I read (by people I don't know, thank God). I finally have A/C again, after my control panel went out. I had them reinstall my old thermostat, which is just a simple dial. The thermostat I had was programmable, and it blew out the control board. It was always being hit by power surges, and the old one (just reinstalled) is very simple technology so there is a lot less that can go wrong with it. Sometimes old technology is better than the new. But we all know that, that is why we are MJ farmgirls. I hope everyone is doing OK. The climate has not been very good lately, has it? So I go to Tahiti in my mind.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

We did in all of our chickens last Thursday. It is good to have so much in the freezers as well.

We have all of next year's wood in the barn. So we are good for the winter if it is longer than normal whatever normal is. Steadily we are getting ready for the winter. We also put a few packages of beets in the freezers. We use them to make borscht at the holidays.

Sorry you are having a hard time, Cindy. I hope you get better.

Have a good afternoon,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  3:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cindy!what a horrible experience. I am so glad my neighbors are not like that. Sorry I have been missing from here but it has been such an adjustment to going back to work. It feels like I have been in a fog for so long. I pulled a bunch of mary janes mags today and am going to start reading them again. I have 7 years worth and after looking at 2 of them I feel so much better. I need to go back to my old dreams of glamping and start again. Not sure where to begin but am going to "eat an elephant".
Hugs to all
Janie?farmgirl 390
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Janiee--welcome back! I was just looking through the latest issue of MJF last night and there are some really good articles in there. Holly, glad you have meat for the winter. Didn't you have a total of about twenty birds? Something strange happened yesterday--my eyes have been very sensitive to light for quite some time, and yesterday, a black streak, like a magic marker, suddenly appeared across the field of my right eye. I splashed water in my eye, no change. i looked in the mirror and could not see anything in my eye. I sort of rubbed it, and now the black streak appears as squiggly lines just on the perimeter of my vision,and they move all around, like flying insects. Last night, I noticed flashes--like sparks--out of the corner of my eye. I looked it up and it is not a good sign. I need to see an eye doctor but it is the weekend and the eye doctors are not open. If it's what i think it is, the ER's here do not have the equipment to diagnose it. So I have to wait till Monday to call an eye doctor. I have no intention of driving anywhere on Monday because the sun will appear very bright, and there will be unusual shadows due to the eclipse. We are north of the "dark zone" but we will still be quite affected by it. They say the chance of car accidents will greatly increase on that day. So I intend to stay inside. I had the MRI this morning (my cousin drove me cause I took some anti anxiety pills before hand so i would be calm during the MRI--they tend to freak me out--don't like the noise and not being able to move). My brother is here for the weekend and he drove me to church. I don't like to drive when the sun is bright and my eyes are bothering me so much. At night, it's OK. Anyway, I have to wait to get the results of the MRI as well as the sleep study. I have been wearing these "blue-blocker" glasses indoors at times cause any light bothers my eyes. They block out the blue light, which seems to help. And I MUST wear sunglasses when i go outdoors. The flashes and squiggly lines i have been seeing can indicate that the retina is about to detach--not a good thing at all. It could also mean something else, but I am mostly worried about the retina thing. Please send healing energy my way--thank you.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  5:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I was thinking about you Janiee. There was an advertisement about how to become a home on the Fixer Upper Show. One of the requirements are that the home must be within 30 miles of Waco. You are the only person I know who lives in that area. I think that Mel lives in the Grand State but I do not know what city any more. I have never seen the Fixer Upper Show by the way.

Cindy i hope it is just floaters in your eye. We are way north of the eclipse line. The weather guessers say we will see a 70 % eclipse. I think that is pretty good especially if the day is clear and we actually get to see the phenomenon. We usually miss the meteor showers because it is overcast. Every year Public Radio has the weather guessers one night do a star gazing show. Everyone lays in their fields and he narrates. I hope we get to see some of the eclipse.

DsC came home from two weeks at sleep away camp. He had a great time. He showed me his targets from his BB shooting. He showed me the patches he won from archery. He made a small fire poker at the blacksmith forge. He made a Bowie knife with a deer antler handle. He went fishing and caught a sunfish. He had a really good time. He thinks he would like to go back next summer for two weeks.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  05:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I have been getting ready for DS and his family to visit. Just need to make up the bed and put out fresh towels in their guest room and everything in there will finally be done. I am making apple bread this afternoon. They will be here tomorrow and I can hardly wait to see them.
It's good to hear from you Janiee. Hope work is going well.
Holly, I know it's a good feeling to be getting prepared for the winter. We have many wood piles on the property and there are still so many dead trees to cut. But, we had to replace the furnace/air conditioner last year and the new one is so efficient that we didn't even use the fireplace last winter. I don't think we will make much of a dent in the piles. Wish we could send some of it to you.
Cindy, I do hope it is just floaters, but please don't wait too long to see a doctor. My daughter had a retinal detachment last year and is still dealing with some after effects.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  09:05:22 AM  Show Profile
I start work on Tuesday. It is four days of training, basically sitting in a cold room listening to all the stuff I learned last year. It is exhausting even though it doesn't sound that way. I'll be glad when it is over.

We have been looking for a new apartment for a while now. One apartment we wanted was snatched up very quickly. We have two showings today. One of them is near where we live and Lowell has already declared that it is too small. He also doesn't like the mid-century architecture. I believe it looks clean and compact. There are 6 units in the building and has storage. I can see his point because we want to be carried out of this next place feet first. LOL

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  12:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Our house inspection came back with only a few things that need looking at. The closing is September 29. Because I have so much time, I extended my last day till September 15.
Marie I know that the perfect apartment is out there. Keep your priorities and keep looking. You will always have a room at my home (although Lowell may not enjoy rural Kentucky).

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  04:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

Our internet access has been far less than reliable lately. I wrote the whole post last night and the computer told me I had no internet access so the whole post was lost.

DsG and I have been working on building raised beds by the greenhouse. Year before last I purchased 6" X 6" hemlock timbers. I cut the ends with the chainsaw so they look like an L. We put them up like LIncoln logs to build the raised bed. DsG puts a 6" spike in each of the corners. I think they might hold together without the spike but it gives him good practice driving nails. Each bed is 30 inches tall. We are on bed number three. I only work one tank of gas each day that is how I decide how much we will get done.

DsC came home from camp on Saturday. He had a good time. There were 10 boys in camp this session. He made his Bowie knife with a deer antler for a handle, he made a short fire poker in black smithing, he shot the rifle and brought home the targets, He earned some patches in archery and had swim lessons each day. He did other activities as well. The only problem he had was getting up in the morning. He usually sleeps 10 or more hours in a night. I think the camp allows for 8. He says the other boys were nice to him.

Marie I hope you find an apartment that suits your needs try not to capitulate to Lowell because it would be easier.

Karin enjoy your visit. I am glad you get along with the whole family.

Vanessa I hope your new home is all you want it to be.....

My morning time for typing is up. Time to make sure the boys are moving along in their routines. Today is therapy day so we need to be out of here on schedule.

look for moments of joy,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  11:56:58 AM  Show Profile
That is great that DsC had such a good time at camp. It sounds like he had fun and I'm glad the other boys were nice to him. A bowie knife with a deer antler handle sounds very cool. Vanessa and Marie, hope you both find dwellings that meet your needs and feel like home. Karin, are you anywhere near the eclipse viewing area? We just had the eclipse here. I didn't have the special glasses, but I could see the reflection of the sun on the hood of my car (I have a black car) and I took some pictures as the reflection kept getting smaller and smaller. My house got very dark. When I stepped out onto the porch just before totality. I could tell the temperature had dropped a few degrees. It had been 92 degrees and hot. Then I heard a mourning dove start cooing, and then the locusts began singing. It was like twilight. After it was over, a few minutes later, it still seemed dark, and then shortly afterwards, it started raining. it is raining and thundering now. I called the eye dr. and have an appt. for tomorrow afternoon. Still have not got the results of the MRI. I would send pictures but my cheap flip phone (my choice) only seems to send pictures when I attach them to a text. I have tried sending pics. to my e-mail with no success. The pics. aren't really much, they just show that the sun's reflection on the car hood is smaller than normal, and I got some pictures of the shadows create by the sun shining through the leaves---it's known as the crescent effect since the shadows are shaped like crescents. I am glad the rain held off till after the eclipse. I bet lots of other people are glad s well.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  8:22:08 PM  Show Profile
I went to the eye dr. My eye is OK. Just a surge of fluid that causes a surge of floaters and flashes. I also found out I have sleep apnea but I don't know any details yet. Still waiting for my dr. to finish analyzing the results of the MRI. I am worried. I kept telling people that something was wrong and no one believed me. But if something wasn't wrong, I would have the results by now.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page