Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  7:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Our Easter was quiet. We ate Honeybaked ham, tiny red potatoes, and green beans with bacon. And yellow peeps.
Today we transferred the Chardonnay into a second jug and added oak chips. I had to start the siphon the old fashioned way, and it tasted delicious. We hope to add the clearing agents before we go on vacation.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  10:33:54 PM  Show Profile
We had more snow today and will again tomorrow. We will probably get 3" here in the city. They have had 6" in the southwest and south. Of course, as soon as I stepped out the door to go to some appointments on my own and without the cane, it started to snow.

I went to see my therapist today. I had some difficult things to tell her about my assault. I have a great many things to figure out.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  6:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It's ssssnnnnnnoooowwwwinggg...... again. It was not snowing down in town. It was raining. Here on our hill it is snowing. It is only April 3 so I expect we will have several more snowstorms. The weather guesser was talking maybe thunder snows. Those thunders when it is snowing are very interesting we do not always recognize that it is thunder and not the jets from the air national guard practicing.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  4:43:13 PM  Show Profile
We got our patio done. Really like how it turned out. I will try to remember to take pictures. Got our title and all the paper work done for our residency here. Lease signed, new drivers license with new address, now we are still trying to get our mail delivered. Don't know where it is going to, but we only got one piece of mail forwarded to us here. 3 times to the post office. Now they say it will take 7-10 days again. In the meantime, who is getting our mail? I had to go buy a Mary Janes Farm magazine because I dd not get mine.
We have been having beautiful weather here. We had much needed rain the other day, it knocked down the humidity and also the pollen that has been so bad. I do not have allergies, but Bob does. 82 degrees here now feels comfortable. Back in Michigan, they had a foot of snow over the weekend, and then yesterday another 7 inches. Schools were cancelled even. I am so happy to be living in Florida now. We freeze when it get down to 65 degrees!!! LOL!!!
Marie and Holly, hoping you have spring weather soon. I know you both had gotten snow also. You might just go from winter to summer this year.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  9:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Well we are getting more snow this weekend. Significant snow. Then it will be in the 50's. We'll see.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  1:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Day before yesterday it rained and then in the night we had big winds. They knocked out power around the area but not us. There was no school yesterday because the school had no power. Today there was no school because it was parent teacher conferences. Two of the boys are outside and the house is much quieter.

The cold slows down the snow melting so the water has a better chance of sinking into the ground and filling the wells and springs. This snow too shall pass.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2018 :  06:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Today we have one last (I hope) gasp of winter.
Just a light dusting, but it is cold and there are beaks to feed.
Last night Fang was nice enough to take me to see quilts made by a local lady named Shirley Fulton in a local gallery. OH MY! They were so beautiful! There was one with pieced squiggly trails and velour or velvet peacock heads where the trails crossed. The back was black material and had all the quilting in gold thread. So now I am inspired.
Fang & I leave for S. Korea & Japan on Wednesday. We'll be visiting our youngest, who is in the Air Force in Japan. I googled where to buy material in Seoul & tokyo, so I will be $hopping!
Poor Fang, yesterday he had such hopes of putting a new battery in the motorcycle and replacing the brakes on one car. But the battery holes were too big for the bolts we had and he couldn't get the lug nuts off. He really wants to be a do it yourselfer, but I'm worried about him overdoing it.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2018 :  1:17:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm back....I gave up all social media for Lent. I am still doing well but my beloved Jaxon hurt his back very badly and had to be put to sleep. I am still in shock. It all happened so quickly and I think the meningitis was starting to come back as well. Not sure what he did, but it appeared he slipped a disc and he went from being able to walk with mild pain to not being able to stand, walk, or even go to the bathroom within a 72 hour period. Then, the vet gave him a sedative before she put him down, and he had a seizure. Thankfully, I don't think he was in any pain. A friend of mine who has epilepsy told me that when having a seizure, you are unaware of it. He was it a lot of pain before I made the decision. I miss him so much and still can't believe he's gone. Not sure what's been going on with everyone else but I hope you are all OK. Marie, I heard about your ordeal and hope you are recovering. I have been cleaning up the house and have gotten rid of a lot of junk and made some home improvements. ALso been walking at the mall almost every morning. Still haven't lost any weight but have started to redistribute the weight I have. Which is my main goal. Craft beer week starts Monday in our locale and I am looking forward to sampling maybe some pretzels with different kinds of beer cheese. Then, the following week, different businesses are having food, fashion, and more from other cultures. The coffee shop near me is having Argentinian food. And next weekend is our Earth Day celebration. So plenty to keep me busy. Filming will also start soon for a reality show featuring my town. I find if I stay busy if keeps me from grieving for Jaxon. But I still have bad dreams at night. It will be a long time before I get another dog, there are too many bad things that can happen to them. And it can get very expensive to have a dog. I have missed MJF but I have been doing farmgirl things--today I made some tinted lip balm. Don't know if I'll try growing anything this year--it is still too cold to plant. We may have snow tomorrow. The weather has gone crazy, but that's normal for the Midwest.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

I'll be Thelma. You be Louise.

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Choosy moms choose Prozac.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2018 :  1:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cindy! There is nothing I can say. I have been through that. My Abel had some kind of paralysis in his small muscles in his hips. He stumbled when he walked and didn't know when he had to pee or poop. He could still run and smiled when he did. I didn't get another dog for more than two years. Another will arrive when needed.

Our next, and hopefully last, snowfall will come tomorrow.

Physically I am well. Emotionally I am not certain. I am rather depressed and am tearing up right now. My therapist said it would take a while to sort out my feelings. Lowell has no clue. My sleep patterns are off. I got up at 1 AM and was on the computer until 7:30. I went back to bed and didn't get up again until 2 PM. I read as much of an article about trauma as I could stand and then watched some gaming videos. I go back to work on Monday.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2018 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Jaxon was a good friend. He knew you loved him. Our dog Bud broke his hip as he was going down the stairs and then he slid to the bottom. We miss him. He had a unique personality. I am glad you were withJaxon when he died. He was not alone.

Marie it takes a while to heal from trauma. I do not know how except crying and sunshine.

Have a good time in Japan and South Korea. Look at the beautiful kimono and ohashi in the used clothing stores. Lovely silk in beautiful designs. The food should be awesome as well. I would stay away from the live octopus restaurants. I think I could not eat a live anything except a vegetable. There is some lovely candy there as well. When I worked in Philadelphia some of my co workers went on a business trip and brought me back treats.
Some men are good at the DIY and some are not and those are the ones to call and pay for someone else to do it. No shame in that at all.

I went to the local elementary school today to help make the costumes for three kimono for the kindergarden class. The art teacher wanted me to take a vest pattern and add sleeves. I told her that was too hard and I drew her a picture of an angel without the head and said this is how the pattern should look and I will cut the front and make a tie. I think she did not want me to do it but I protested and they came out very nice indeed. She was happy. Putting in sleeves can be very hard. I told her that the children might be on stage for 4 minutes total and it would be fine for that amount of time. Actually they could have worn them all day and no harm would have come.

Then I went to the Senior Center to the last 15 minutes of their sale and bought 4 mugs, 12 linen napkins, 5 hideous large rings with stones, a dress and several puzzles. The rings are for my oldest foster daughter who adores bling and the shinier the better. I really like linen napkins and they were a great price.

Then I went to the rug hooking shop for the rest of the afternoon to a rug hooking gathering. It was my first time. Everyone was very kind. I am working on my second hooking project. it is quite primitive but I like it. One of hte women said it had depth and she liked the colors. All of the women were using little hooks and thin strips of wool. One asked me the width of my strips. I said, I take my straight edge and lay it close to the edge and zip it with my rotary cutter and whatever it comes out I use it. Many of them have cutters that cut 4 to 6 strips at a time all even. Those cutters are expensive and if I stick with this art form I may purchase one but until then I will zip the strips. I figure in the olden days women used scissors or knives to cut the fabric. It was nice to sit and chat and meet new people.

Tonight is the variety show at the school as a benefit for the local Community Lunch program. DsL will drum and dsC will play his recorder with his teacher. DsL has great stage presence and the audience really looks forward to his performing and energy. C has taken them.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2018 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I am so sorry to hear of your dog's passing. The sadness is as intense as losing a human family member. Give yourself time to grieve.
Although I am adventurous, I don't plan to eat anything weird in Japan. I found that there is a whole street in a section of Tokyo devoted to material, sewing notions, and craft supplies, and I also found a store in Seoul. We're meeting a small suitcase inside a larger suitcase to handle stuff I'll buy. I pack small anyway.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  4:42:33 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, so sorry to hear of Jaxon's passing. It is so hard to lose a pet. They are part of our family and are loved that way. Glad to have you back with us. Everyone has been having cooler than normal weather, except here in Florida where it has been above normal. We have finally been getting some well needed rain. We have had a lot of nearby fires again this year. It is so dry here right now.
Holly, rug hooking sounds like a good hobby. I have never tried that yet. I am now crocheting hats.
Vanessa, How great to be able to visit your son in Japan and South Korea. Good idea to take empty suitcases with you to fill up. I am sure you will find lots of great things to bring home with you.
Marie, Good that you will be back to work tomorrow. Hope all is well with that. Are you closer to your work now that you are moved?
I made blueberry muffins this afternoon. It is a recipe from an Amish cookbook I have and makes 24 muffins. I may have to freeze some of them.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2018 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Distance wise, it's about the same. Where I live now I only have to take one bus instead of two to get to work. The commute is only 17 minutes each way and I am closer to the game store I go to twice a week.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2018 :  07:37:18 AM  Show Profile
It snowed again here last night. But it is supposed to be 70 on Friday. We all seem to be having odd weather.
Cindy, glad to see you back. I'm so very sorry about Jaxon. I know he was a very dearly loved companion.
It has been a long time since I did any rug hooking Holly, but often think I would like to try it again. I really love the primitive ones some of my friends are making.
Marie, hope you are continuing to heal, both physically and spiritually.
I am going to a fiber festival Friday, looking forward to getting some more beautiful fiber to spin.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2018 :  1:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

Some of the women at the rug hooking clatch said you could hook with any type of fiber or yarn. So, when I finish this project maybe I will try some unusual combinations like ribbons and wool bats. There was a woman who died her own pieces of wool fabric. In June the Green Mountain Rug hooking school has a school in Montpelier with different classes in dyeing and shading and beginning and more than 20 other classes. I have not ever been. Sometime I will have the where with all to attend a class or two.

The fiber you spin must feel wonderful in your hands.

The sun is shining for now. We woke to a bit of new snow on the ground but it is all gone now.

Have a good afternoon.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2018 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile
The weather here is very weird. We had a dusting of snow on Sunday. Might get a wintry mix later this week. We are supposed to be planting things in the ground by now but it is too cold.
I have been trying to keep busy and not spend too much time at home, since the house seems so empty. I keep looking at his couch and expect to see him there. Luckily, I have a lot to keep me busy. I have lost some inches from walking and my clothes fit better.
I see my therapist today. Marie, it will take time to heal from the trauma. Be gentle with yourself.
I want to make some bald eagles using needle felting but can't find brown wool roving. Maybe I need to go to a different Michaels.
I enjoyed pretzels with beer cheese last night. Soon I will check out the pastry shop--it recently moved to a new location.
I saw one of my friends yesterday and we went to a student art exhibit. I was impressed by the quality of the art.
My mom is in pain a lot of the time and has been using her walker but she won't go the dr. I have been doing the shopping and other errands. My friend's mom is in assisted living and gets around better than my mom. My parents are in independent living--but I wonder for how much longer.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  07:42:55 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone else having reservations about posting on social media? Anyone can read these posts. It's unfair to blame Facebook for everything because any determined hacker can get past their privacy controls. Just don't know how I feel about all this. Just wondering how others feel. I love this site, but all these privacy issues bother me. I have heard that data is now more valuable than currency.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2018 :  09:32:52 AM  Show Profile
I am willing to trust my posts on this site because the population is very small compared to other sites and our profiles contain very limited personal information. I trust Brian to keep us safe.

I am home from work today because my head feels too heavy on my body. I cannot walk a straight line so I don't believe I will be safe walking around the school. I have called the clinic and they will get back to me in 24 to 48 hours. The only way I feel comfortable is to sit very still or to lie down.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2018 :  03:24:51 AM  Show Profile
I no longer do the "fun" surveys on Facebook. We landed in S. Korea a few hours ago. Internet will be problematic. Looking forward to sleeping in a horizontal position.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2018 :  07:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Please take care of yourself, Marie. It must be frightening to feel that way. Sending you love and healing energy.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2018 :  5:15:57 PM  Show Profile
We have a whopper of a blizzard today. Wind, heavy wet snow and temperatures just under freezing. We could get 15 inches of snow when it is all over tomorrow night. Everyone is being asked to stay off the roads especially in the country. Even in the city the roads are bad. Lowell said that he saw a jack knifed bus and helped a car get unstuck. He said he thinks he found a parking spot that he will be able to exit. The snow is coming down so fast that airplanes have to be deiced at the gate and at the end of the runway. I am glad that I have no where to go and the nearest small store is right in the bottom corner of our building.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  9:37:34 PM  Show Profile
My brother-in-law, who is dog sitting our babies, says that it is snowing, but not sticking. I'm glad that we have this type of weather to entertain him.
We arrived in Tokyo yesterday and I dragged Fang to Nippori Fabric Town. I went crazy with buying fabric, although I only went to 2 stores. I feel ready to be a shopping tour guide for fellow sewing gals.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  9:58:07 PM  Show Profile
After two days of blowing, wet, spring snow, we had very nearly 15 inches. School was out today because the plowing of the side streets hadn't even started. I am hoping the people on this block have shoveled the sidewalks. The street in front of our place should be plowed by morning and I will be working again. At least I had time to do my taxes. Nothing like getting them in at the last minute.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2018 :  2:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Marie, Hopefully you are done with the snow for this season. I know by where I was from, they had to close highways overnight. There were such high drifts and wind. The snow is wet and heavy this time of the year.
Thursday was my birthday, we went out to a steak house. It was good, but so expensive. One of my sisters were here in Florida for a vacation and called me a couple of times in a week. She wanted to come visit. I did not answer my phone or call her back. My family does not know that we even moved. 4 months since my sister died, and all of a sudden my phone number shows up? There are seven of them that should all know that I am still mad about my sister dying. Nobody else has called or written at all. We will be going to Michigan this summer and I do not plan on seeing any of my family. Just my son and daughter.
Vanessa, Take pictures of the fabric when you get home. Would love to see it. Bet it is beautiful. What do you plan on making with it?
Holly, did you get snow also? I am sure you are ready for an end to it too.
Karin, a fiber festival is something I would love also. Bet you found a lot of goodies there. Hope you are now getting warmer weather there.
Cindy, Did you get snow also? Glad you are getting out with friends. Keeping busy helps the days seem a lot shorter. Getting out is good for the soul.
It was 80 today, got down to 56 for the low. I am happy with that. I hung clothes out today, it was breezy and dried nicely. Got Bob to finally help me clean out the tool room and sort out the tool boxes and screws and nails all over the place. I had a lot of jars to fill them with. Tomorrow we will take out all the big stuff and put it away "NEATLY", I hope. I hate having to dig for something. My craft room is next.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2018 :  4:33:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We received only a couple of inches of new snow. We mostly had sleet for three days. It has made the roads slushy and slippery. Our town road crew has done a very good job of keeping the roads safe.

Temperatures have been in the high thirties mostly. This Saturday I am to go to the pick up for trees and bushes from the Winooski Regional Conservation District. I did not recognize when I made the order that it was in April. I will not be planting the trees and bushes when I get them home. I think I could not even start a hole never mind dig one.
The same goes for Sunday. I ordered a three pound package of bees and am supposed to pick it up between 7 AM and 11 AM. I thought when I ordered them that the trees would at least be in blossom. I will have to feed them heavily. I am trying to figure out where I can keep them that the sugar water will not freeze and the bees can make enough to eat. Who would have thought we would still be frozen in, now?

DsT started a job tonight working at a local chain restaurant in the kitchen. Wish him luck.

The chickens continue to lay many eggs each day. The children collect more than 20 each day. We recently had 19 dozen sitting on the counter. I gave them away so they would not go bad.

Vanessa- look at the dolls the Japanese make for their domestic market. I have one and it is quite fine. So, different than the ones made for export.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page