Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Marie
Woburn MA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  1:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi there,

salt.marsh.selkie here. It's so nice to have discovered such a supportive, creative and connected group of people! I'm excited to be joining in.

A bit about me...I'm 43, newly engaged, graphic designer for a health insurance company by day and folk singer by heart. For four years, I lived with my mother, taking care of her after her stroke, helping her to live as independently as possible, while I tried to make her nutritious meals, and keep our spirits and souls together.

My mother was a home-ec teacher and taught me everything she could about cooking, sewing, knitting, quilting and making due with what's in a well-stocked pantry. While I lived with her, sharing the ups and downs of aging, and care-giving in a little town near the coast of Massachusetts, I had the chance to grow a garden and learn a little about the earth and the glory of feeding the ones you love with food you've grown and nurtured from a seed. As well as negotiating the ups and downs of being a 40 year-old woman trying to "date" with your mom around...interesting!

By the time my mother decided to move to assisted living about a year ago, to be near 4 of her grand children, we had 8 raised flower/vegetable beds, a cutting bed outside the window for my mother to enjoy, and a cottage garden. All organically grown.

Now I live with my darlin' and our two cats in a vintage (read old and slightly rough) duplex rental on a crowded street near a pond. My current "farm" consists of 3 raised recycled plastic 3" x 3" beds of flowers and veggies, a few planters and a few birdfeeders. So, although I probably don't meet the technical specs of your average farmgal. I am committed to the earth, to growing healthful food and a much-loved family, using well what I've been given and creating what's needed out of what's at hand. So, I'm glad to be here and looking forward to learning and laughing with you often.

My particular interests are creating beautiful knitted garments (got a great pair of men's socks going on my needles right now), cooking nourishing and delicious meals with fresh ingredients, old-timey and traditional music (I'm just finishing up my first full-length CD), and finding a way to live a creative, meaningful, connected life, not tied to corporations and timeclocks but to people.

best regards,

salt.marsh.selkie

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  1:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcom to the board! It's a great place!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, fellow farmgirl! It's great to have you here! :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  3:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie!! I'm an original Massachusetts gal myself (grew up in Marshfield) I've been in Georgia 25 years now, so I guess I qualify as a Southerner. Glad you found us!! You are going to fit right in!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:47:39 PM  Show Profile
welcome Marie.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  6:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you are well on your way Farmgirl, glad that you joined us!

best wishes on your new life.
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  06:07:56 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to FarmGirl Connection, Marie!

You sound like just the sort of neighbor we'd all like to have. Looking forward to hearing more about you.

I know we can post photos on this site; I wonder how we could get you to post a song or two from your CD? Make sure you let us know the details in case folk music fans want to order a copy.

I commend you for your devotion to your Mom; she's a lucky lady. I have two elderly parents who live a day's drive from me, so I do not see them nearly enough.

Oh, and congratulations on your engagement! Sounds like he is a lucky fella, too!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

salt.marsh.selkie
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Marie
Woburn MA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:05:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Karin, Jo and all,

Karin, my mother and I lived in Scituate, right next to Marshfield, so I know it well!

Jo, thanks for asking about the CD. I'll see what I can do about posting links to my website and some songs, once it's done. One more banjo part to throw down this weekend with a great bluegrass picker! Then there's the design and printing and stuff, but it should be out in time for stocking stuffers!

And thanks for the congratulations! Michael is a wonderful partner and friend! I'm very lucky and blessed to have seen his sweet face at an acoustic music camp in NH a few years ago. We've been making great harmony ever since! And he and I wrote some of the songs on the CD. One in particular is a song he wrote about a little family farm nearby. And watching the selling off of the livestock and breaking up the farm to sell to developers. Bittersweet and timely!

Take care all. I'm really enjoying exploring and hearing about all your thoughts and endeavors.

-Marie
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm, Marie! You're spitting distance from Beantown aren't you? Lived for six years with my now ex husband, first in Taunton, then up north to Lynn and lastly in Williamstown in those gorgeous Berkshire Mountains! Autumn in New England.........makes me wanna hug Barry Manilow! Anywaym welcome to a great group of gals; you'll learn alot and teach us too I am sure. What a blessing you are to your mom. Have a great day, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie!Gosh you sound just great..I am so glad you found us!!
Folk and Bluegrass are my favorite types of music..how neat to be able to "make your own"! I appreciate music but sure am not a musical person myself.
I think you will really like it here alot..it will be fun to hear more from you!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:20:54 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie
Well I am glad there are people out there to carry a tune for those of us who make singing sound like wounded animals. Being a farmgal is not location but a state of heart and mind, and you have it. I look foreword to hearing more about you life and you have found a place that will support you in all your do.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Marie! Farm or not you sound like a farmgirl to me! Nice to have you here, you'll fit right in! Your music sounds wonderful, let us know more!
ps...By your screen name I take it you like to swim?
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Oct 24 2006 11:43:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Greetings, Marie! Knitting & traditional music! What a WONDERFUL combination!!! I have some nice wooly socks on my needles for FarmGirl GaiasRose right now (and about three other projects in the works). Welcome to the best place in the world! An amazing source of love and wisdom resides in these pages.

susan

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

salt.marsh.selkie
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Marie
Woburn MA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  12:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bramble and everyone,

Yes, I do like to swim. And to sit on a sunny rock, watching the ocean and being hypnotized by the waves. "salt.marsh.selkie" refers to the salt marsh near my mother's old home. And to the mythical celtic creature halfwoman (or man), half seal that I identify with. Think mermaid with a rocky coastal, Irish flair...not Disney! If you're curious, the movie "the Secret of Roan Inish" is a must see!

Bramble, thanks for the nod to my moniker. And you, I think of the song "the Bramble and the Rose" do you know it?

Take care,

-Marie

Go to Top of Page

rock-n-hoer
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Sarah
Marietta GA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  8:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Send rock-n-hoer a Yahoo! Message
Hey Marie,
You're right, we do have a lot to talk about!!
We both have a desire for something beyond the ordinary. A beautiful life.
I would love to hear your singing. My husband has been playing in the Atlanta area for years now and so we get a nice parade of musicians through the house. I love to paint while they are downstairs making music.
As for the art, man it is alot of work. My gallery is small right now, but I have a good group of motivated people -fellow arists- who are interested in expanding the current art market in the city. We want to make some money while making good art.

You are luck that you got to spend that time with your mom. It is important to do that. I know that day is coming with my parents, and I hope I can be there for them like you were there for your mom. They cared for me, and I want to do the same for them. Caring for your mom like that is certainly commendable.

I'm interested in your gardening. How were you able to do it in the city? I get alot of shade from trees, mostly and I'd love to plant a "real" garden. If you have any starting advice, I'd love it.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you on here more often.
Sarah

Art, as far as it has the ability, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master, so that art must be, as it were, a descendant of God. - Dante
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  04:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Welcome to this great forum, Marie! So glad you found us!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group. I hope you have a very nice visit here the ladies are great.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Welcome, Marie! It's wonderful to have a farmgirl at heart join us!!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Massachusetts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page