Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Newbie from Central Washington
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie from Central Washington Next Topic  

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  08:05:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi there:
Just learned of this forum from a spinning friend the other day and thought I would try to take part.
I've been a farmgirl at heart all of my life but have been living it for a few years now. We raise sheep, have a few horses, some chickens and way too many dogs and barn cats on our farm in Ellensburg, WA.
At the latest get together, several gals were telling me about going to the farm school and/or being involved in fun stuff like craft swaps on this list.
I enjoy crafting--sew, knit, crochet, quilt (guess that's sewing) but I'm a folk art quilter...not very precise so my quilts always a bit "artsy"...that's the comment I've gotten from real quilter friends. My latest passion is wool...straight from our sheep to a garment...that process is just a joy. I have a garage wall full of fleeces, baskets and a closet full of yarn and bags of roving stuffed under beds, etc. I think it's a bit of an addiction but it's not illegal or immoral so think I'm okay.
I have 2 part-time jobs besides the farm/sheep stuff so I keep busy but I am lucky to work out of my home so I'm here for lambing and farm visitors and such. My kids are college age so my days of going to ball games and 4-H meetings and such are completed...whew! It was fun but glad it's slowing down around here.
That's enough for now!
Jami
Ellensburg, WA

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  08:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Jami! I also have too many dogs and cats - and a 'moved out' son(I didn't lose a son, I gained a room!). Your place sounds wonderful and you sound like a woman happy with her life. You're going to love it here. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Welcome Jami! I'm a newly "empty nester" and have been bitten by the "spinning" bug! I'm new at it but LOVE IT! What kind of wheel do you have? I also have too many cats and dogs but I don't know what I'd do without them now that all my girls are in college or married! What kind of sheep do you have? I'm still trying to talk hubby into a couple of Angoras! Glad you are here!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:20:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome, Julia and Miss Bee Haven!

I forgot to mention I have a wonderful husband but he's shy and so I don't usually talk about him online much.

We have 50 ewes, Texel and Coopworths mostly but a few Clun Forest/Texel crosses.

I started out with a traditional Ashford wheel off of Ebay but soon found I needed more ratio options so sold it to help defray the costs of a used Majacraft Rose I found in Oregon. It's my "life" wheel I think...just seems to fit everything I want to do or will do in the future when I improve my spinning skills. Plus, it folds up so I can haul it around buckled up in my passenger seat! I love spinning...and knitting although I am scared of doing anything too complicated yet. I seem to stick with simple projects, or stitches anyhow. That way I can zone out and not have to think too hard while I'm clicking the needles away in the evening listening to TV or having a chatting (literally, not computer chat) with DH.

Well, time to get to work but look forward to more later!
Jami

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same.
Henri B. Stendhal
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jami!! How fun to have another spinner here!! Wow..a majacraft..my dream wheel..someday...I do know that dreams come true...it happened with me getting the milk cow of my dreams last year!
It will be so fun to have your input here. I am a shepherdess too...although right now I just have two Icelandic ewes (and an angora goat) I have never had more than 10...not enough space. I can't imagine no sheep here though!!
I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:03:39 AM  Show Profile
welcome Jami!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jami and shy husband

Great to hear that we have someone who also breeds sheep. I love the clun forest sheep - so sweet and on the ball. I have a variety of fiber animals here and have always wanted to add clun forest but the breeders here did not have stock that I thought where true confirmation wise. Glad to also here that others have the overflowing fiber issue. I am excited to here more about your life and as time goes on I am sure we will be sharing our never normal lives with you.

Again Welcome!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone again!
Grace, I had the same problem finding Cluns and thus have sold my purebreds as I couldn't find a ram within a reasonable distance and since we have only so much feed and room, stuck with other breeds. The Cluns have a really fun fleece to work with so I've been hoarding those and saving them for future use...I have enough fiber to last me a lifetime already but it seems I can't get enough. Right now I'm washing and combing a Texel fleece from one of my favorite ewes. It's really unusual for a Texel and beautiful. Something special will come of that fleece I hope. I am having fun with dying too and had a dye garden this year, my first one. It has been fun.

I found my Majacraft used, otherwise couldn't have hoped for one so soon in my spinning career. It's truly the last wheel I will ever need or want.

Julia, you said you wanted an angora...a goat or a rabbit?

A milk cow...wow. I'm impressed. I milk my sheep when we wean just to get enough to make sheep-milk soap with...again, a new project on my list of things to do. Milk's in the freezer waiting for me. Anyone have experience with that?

This is such a fun group, I can tell already!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  2:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jami,
sounds like you will have much to add to the group, glad that you joined in!
Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Oh sorry, I forget there are bunnies too - would love to have Angora goats. I would love to have my own fiber to spin!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julia:
The one thing I've noticed about angora is that it's really slick to work with...as in slippery slick. I bought a sample to try at a fiber festival and I'm really not very good at spinning it yet...it still sits waiting for my patience to build up.

It is enjoyable to have your own fiber although that has its own challenges as well, like finding a shearer! But if you dream it, you will find a way to get-er-done.
Jami

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same--and a good border collie doesnt hurt!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:34:56 PM  Show Profile
finding a shearer IS hard!! Well, especially for my tiny flock!! I had a guy who was willing to always come out for me when I lived in Calif..but here I hand shear my own.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile
I think we could organize a few shearers out of this bunch for a shearingly fun weekend! Does it make your nose itch? I watched sheep shearing in my childhood near Pendleton Oregon. Hence my lifelong love of wool (knitter). I'm envious of you sheep folks. Don't think I can talk Paul into more critters though! jo in Alaska

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

lambgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Heidi
Ellensburg wa
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Jami,

Isn't this great. I am so glad you joined. I had so much fun Saturday spinning with you and the girls I hope I can make it to the next event if only for half the day. (4-H in the morning). Keep in touch and you won't meet any nicer ladies then at Mary Janes.

Heidi
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  07:55:26 AM  Show Profile
This is great, Heidi. Thanks for telling me about it.

Jo, I helped out with shearing at a neighbor's last year with 250 ewes and I have to say it was fun because he has a really nice setup and each person had just a few tasks so I wasn't trying to do everything. With our smaller flock I don't have extra help so we scurry all day and we don't have the perfect setup either so it's more labor intensive. DH is building a handling system for the sheep so it should get easier as we get older and smarter (and our backs complain more!)

Jami
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  08:06:44 AM  Show Profile
Here is an idea that worked great here at our farm. First get your smaller breeders organized. Then get a head count of number of farms and number of animals and type of animals, next decided if one farm wishes to host the shear day or if you want to do it at the local fair grounds. Then contact all your spinning, knitting and weaving guilds together along with any shops in your area and get them to come out and help but also it is a great way for them to purchase fleece. I would have my youngest son take their photo with their sheep, llama or alpaca that they picked the fleece before shearing. Then they had the fleece right after the shearing (they had to help some) and a photo of before and after. They got a real kick out of it. We also got a local buffalo rancher to come and make buffalo bugers and a local farmer had his vegies and such there and each one of the vendor helped pay for the cost of the fairground barn, potties and such. Remember this will take some planning but it is a great one to work on during the winter months. Also, you can get a vet there to do routine shots or checks and also to sell animals he can prepare the travel papers. We have done this type of set up for years and it really solves a ton of issues that the small flock breeder is faced with. Take care and great to have you here.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  09:26:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jami- Glad you found us here at the forum! You will lovwe it here. I do not have sheep, but I want to learn how to spin. I'm starting with a drop spindle. I am making my own. (Yikes.)
It is the only spinning item my husband will let me have right now. (Because I have too much craft stuff all over the house already!!) I hope you enjoy your time here!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  09:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karin:
What are you making your spindle out of? I've heard of using a CD and a dowel and a cup hook and I don't own a spindle but thought making one would enable me to spin while camping or horseback riding!
I'm already having a grand time. Thanks!
Jami
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
welcome to the group. Some how I missed this earlier so I am saying hi a little late.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Thanks so much for the welcome, girls!
I enjoyed hearing of the enthusiam for sheep and sheep "functions" and ideas so far! And to all of you fiber fanatics out there and those who have other things to be fanatic about...helloooo!

Once I get a big work project overwith, I'll be posting more about fiber and such, in a week or so.
Jami

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same--and a good border collie doesn't hurt!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Newbie from Central Washington Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page