Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 anyone know about the new antenna for TV
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic anyone know about the new antenna for TV Next Topic  

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  06:21:28 AM  Show Profile
I am going to be turning off the cable/satellite in November. They are getting so expensive that it is hard to justify having it anymore. My DH is not to happy but my argument is valid. We have internet so if he wants to watch a new show that this antenna doesnt pick up he can watch it on the computer. We just moved to our new place in October 2012 and got the satellite in Nov..it has steadily gone up since then. I called and asked why, they gave me reasons beyond my knowledge and informed me that in Nov it will be going up another 35.00....I told them then I would be cutting it off then...they didnt seem to happy...but this is life...Any feed back on the antenna is great.
Deborah

now we are on our forever farm. God has blessed us.

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  6:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Found it...
LAVA HD-2605 ULTRA...we are ordering this and have no cable or satellite...YEAH!!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  3:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Debora is this an antenna that is for the TV. We live in a place where the only way I can watch tv is to have satelite. I can't even get local and they keep raising mine too. Its horrible even with the basic by the time they add on rental, taxes and all that other stuff its over $60 dollars and thats just basic and alot of crappy channels no one would ever watch. All I want is local channels but they won't let you have just that. Would love to find an antenna that would be able to do that.

Would love any info on this if you wouldn't mind sharing it. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  6:14:48 PM  Show Profile
yes this is for the TV...just ordered it so i will post after we set it up...look on the website and it will tell you all about it...the price of the antenna is the same price of 1 month of satelite service...

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  8:17:56 PM  Show Profile
What is the website to read about it and order it? I would really like to check this out. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  3:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Hope this helps. This is the page I found..

1800-542-6379

www.TVAntennaSale.com
LAVA HD-2605 ULTRA
Outdoor TV Antenna
List Price: $119.95
Our Price: $69.95
Sale Price: $69.95
Savings: $50.00
- 90 Day Money Back Guarantee
- 2 Year Full Warranty
- 36db Amplifier with Gain Control
- Motor Rotor - 360' Twist Proof
- Free 40 foot RG6 Coaxial Cable

Out of Stock: Back Ordered - Will Ship on August 27th 2013 - Order Today! First Come First Served.
Product Code: LAVAHD2605ULTRA

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Thankyou Deborah for all the info! I am going the definately check this out and see if this would work for us.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile
we will be getting the antenna tomorrow late afternoon...and we will be putting it on by the end of the month...we will be cutting off our Direct TV by the 1st of Nov.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2013 :  4:47:11 PM  Show Profile
I called the company about the antenna. He checked my location and said I would not be able to pick up anything. I am in an extreme dead zone for everything. I know cell phones don't work here. I was so bummed.
He told me he would love to sell me one but I would end up sending it back because it would not work.So I continue to pay direct tv so I can have locals and a few chanels or cancel and get nothing. I can't even get the local radio station station.

Debora I hope it works well for you. Let me know once you get it installed how its working for you. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda when we get it up and running I will let you know how it works..We never called anyone we just looked at the site and put in our address...it said we would get 150 channels we just need a pole to put it on. Cant put it on our chimney.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  12:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone get this antenna and it work for them?

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  1:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Betty~

We just ordered one and it comes in today. Got snow so not sure when we will get it up. We live at 9000 feet so not sure if we will get a clear view to get even the local channels but will let you know.

Debbie

"LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90% WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU." ~ANONYMOUS~"
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  6:23:42 PM  Show Profile
In order to receive antenna TV signals you have to be within 60-70 miles of the transmitting tower because of the curvature of the earth.

If you are high on a hill you might get the higher end of the range, unless it is windy! The other night we got really bad on a channel we normally receive very well, but the wind was blowing strong. We are about 40 miles from the tower.

Here is a web page that reinforces this information.

http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1496626.html

We stopped paying for cable and settle for broadcast TV. If there's something that is not available on broadcast that I really want to watch (Project Runway comes to mind) I watch it later on the internet.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 21 2013 6:29:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeri
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jeri
Brandon MS
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:01:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Room To Grow

I am going to be turning off the cable/satellite in November. They are getting so expensive that it is hard to justify having it anymore. My DH is not to happy but my argument is valid. We have internet so if he wants to watch a new show that this antenna doesnt pick up he can watch it on the computer. We just moved to our new place in October 2012 and got the satellite in Nov..it has steadily gone up since then. I called and asked why, they gave me reasons beyond my knowledge and informed me that in Nov it will be going up another 35.00....I told them then I would be cutting it off then...they didnt seem to happy...but this is life...Any feed back on the antenna is great.
Deborah

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

Jeri
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jeri
Brandon MS
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:03:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Room To Grow

Deborah

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

Jeri
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jeri
Brandon MS
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:03:45 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had cable or sattelite in over a year. The cost wasn't the reason other than I wasn't getting anything for my money. I cancelled because everything on t.v. (almost anyway) is trash. I love to read and now have more time than I thought I had to read. In good weather I am outside until after dark. So I encourage you to cut the strings. I will say that I bought an antenna, so that If I do want to see the news, weather, etc. I have access. I pick up my local channels and that's enough. I have Netflix on my t.v. so when I want to watch a movie, I go to Netflix. Have a great day Sisters.

Jeri

Edited by - Jeri on Nov 24 2013 09:08:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2013 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile
Okay, we have the antenna, and as I said we live at 9000 feet in the Mountains of Colorado.
We get only two channels PBS and NBC, better than what we had before. Just thought I would let you know.
Debbie

"LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90% WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU." ~ANONYMOUS~"
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, We havent hooked ours up yet...Family issues are on making things being put off...Hoping we can do it by Feb..Sorry you are only getting 2 channels
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  08:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Now those two channels are gone, after talking to the company and finding out that it is hopeless where we live at 9000 feet up we returned ours for a full refund:-)
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile
Unless you are in a extreme area, like the mountains, most people will be fine with a good quality digital antenna for their TV. We have one that cost about $50, and get about 20 channels. We are 40 miles away from the transmitting tower. We couldn't ever justify paying the money that cable requires. I'm more than happy with just getting the local channels, and then we have a Netflix account we use when we want to watch a movie or something.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2014 :  07:00:06 AM  Show Profile
So does the Netflix work if you don't have a land line for phone (cell service only) and I have internet via Hughesnet satilite? I bought a cheap antenna from walmart and get 4 channels, one is weather only. My contract is over in Feb. with Direct TV.

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Netflix has nothing to do with landlines. (we haven't had a land line in almost 10 years! Ever since Vonage came out, then we switched from Vonage to Magic Jack).

Netflix has every thing to do with your internet connection. My DH watches it on his phone. We watch it at home with our internet connection on the TV, using a roku.

Personally I don't think Hughsnet was strong enough to watch netflix with, but I can't remember. We didn't have it long, it was so awful where we live...it couldn't really do anything it seems (not using the pc or anything!). But, it may be different where you live.

You need a fairly decent internet speed/connection for Netflix to be smooth and good.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  10:21:08 AM  Show Profile
The issue with Hughesnet is you are capped at how much data you can use a day. Watching one movie will make it so you can't use the internet anymore for the next 24 hrs. My in-laws have it and its terrible. DH's sister would get online and start watching videos on youtube and use up their allotment and then he'd not be able to access his school stuff till the next day.
If you have a decent DSL line Netflix is awesome. If you have satellite internet you're better off buying DVDs.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2014 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Debbie...I havent put ours up yet...like I said family problems holding it off for now..

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2014 :  11:02:57 AM  Show Profile
well if you don't have decent internet service, you can still save money using netflix instead of buying dvds, you would sign up for the dvd program with netflix, you can make them back for free, they send you envelopes and real dvds back and forth.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  6:53:46 PM  Show Profile
We gave up satellite television a year ago and have not missed it a bit. I have an amazon prime account and the streaming videos are a plus. We also have a Netflix and Hulu Plus account. So we spend about $22 a month on pay television. We have a converter box for local channels and there are hundreds of free channels via out Roku box. I am so thankful that we have taken that step away from satellite. No contractsn no being locked into high TV cost. Now if I can figure out how to lower the heating and cooling cost...lol.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic anyone know about the new antenna for TV Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page