Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  4:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini!!!!
I am SOOO making those. Gotta find some ground lamb. Have you ever substituted another meat?
I have grape leaves in the pantry just waiting to be used.
I love this authentic recipe. I have seen so many others that just don't utilize all of the spices.
Wish me luck!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Judy,

I am also wondering where you find the time to do all that canning :) Thanks for sharing your cordial recipe. I need to try that :)

The following blog owner makes cordials and Ginger Beer that I want to try too. Plus she has alot of money saving tips.
http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/

Nini, canned spinach? Tell me it isn't so! Just kidding :) Your recipe sounds fantastic. I am going to file that one. I love lamb and am hoping to get one from the butcher this year. I have a wonderful recipe for Lamb Stew with Rosemary. Oh, and you can balance my check book too!

CJ, I just saw this, I hope you and Bill are doing okay!

Today, my honey and I went for a drive and picnic in the mountains. I found some decorations for Fall: Some rosehips for potpourri and the branches for vases,teapots,etc. Some ferns changing color and some really cool fungi (I know it sounds gross). And we stumbled upon some Hawthorn Berries and plan on making some syrup or jam and possible go back for more. What a shame if we have to make another date

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  5:08:33 PM  Show Profile
You're so welcome girls! I'm happy to share! I hope you do try to make them, they're super easy! I wish we lived closer - I'd make them with you the first time! :)

Lisa - I have never substituted another meat for the lamb. The lamb makes the flavor. My husband's family would probably spit on them if I did! LOL! But in all honesty, I know some restaurants make it with beef. That's not the "real" Lebanese grape leaves that way, and I've got a huge family of Middle Eastern in-laws who would argue that fact to their graves. I am not sure, but once I was told that would be how the Greek recipe is made, along with all their special seasonings. In any event, I'm going to be totally honest with you (and please forgive me, Birdie, but it's the truth)... After my mother-in-law passed, my niece confided in me that sometimes lamb was just so expensive that with her huge family, my mother-in-law had a hard time either finding enough lamb to make enough grape leaves for everyone at the holidays OR she just couldn't afford enough ground lamb to foot the bill. That being the case, ON OCCASION - on very RARE occasion - she would substitute a portion of the lamb with... dare I say... ground beef. (I swear, I can hear the aunts and sisters-in-law gasping in horror in my head!) She never used 100% beef, but a portion of the meat was beef. I was so shocked when my niece told me - she had a good laugh over it. Apparently it was their "little secret," and whenever the boys would heartily suck down the "pseudo grape leaves," as she called them, my mother-in-law would just smile with pride, pass a glance to my niece, wink and chuckle. The thought still makes me laugh to this day. If you ever heard my mother-in-law being so specific about every ingredient and every step while teaching us girls how to make them, you'd never in a million years think she would use anything BUT lamb - that would be anathema! But, as most Mom's do, she had her little necessary secrets to help stretch the budget. And let's face it, she had eight surviving sons and daughters, that many daughters- and sons-in-law, and a whole bunch of grandchildren to boot. Who can blame her? Despite a widow's social security income, it was her greatest joy to put out a spread fit for a king for her family, and she refused any help or money or to allow anyone to bring a dish. This was HER deal, God love and bless her soul. If the dear lady needed to sneak in a little ground beef here and there, God bless her! Who am I to argue or judge? :) Having said all of that, though, if you try to make this with ground beef, you're not going to get the same flavor, so I can't make any promises.. but I'm sure it will be good in its own right! :)

Well... there's the dinner buzzer... Gotta run!

Happy rolling, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  5:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini
We have a wonderful international market about 45 minutes from me that has every conceivable thing known to multiple cultures. (not kidding, they have probably 15 aisles of Asian products alone, and boast 200,000 sf ). I have a couple of days off, & need to re-stock some items, so I will try for the ground lamb. Although I am not going to get 5 lbs for my 1st go around. Maybe 2, and see if I am even capable of properly rolling the jarred leaves. Wish me luck!!
Between the canning questions and my lack of grape leave rolling expertise, we may soon need to exchange phone numbers!!!
HUGS!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  6:40:33 PM  Show Profile
That market wouldn't be in Columbus, would it, Lisa? I know there's one near the convention center, but I fairly certain it's not nearly that big. Anyhow, they have a Lebanese stand that makes grape leaves, but they're just too big and mushy, and don't taste the same. IF that's the one, and IF you go, don't even try their grape leaves - they are just not right, trust me. :) The rolling part is pretty easy. I will try - TRY - to make some this weekend... If I can get to it, I'll take step-by-step pictures for you. No promises, though - I still have a lot to do before homeschool starts on Tuesday! Please just bear with me! :) Yes - exchanging numbers is coming soon! I can tell! :)

Sharon - Honest to Pete, normally I would say canned spinach is one of the grossest things going, but for this particular recipe, it's perfect! Believe me - I know how awful that must sound!!! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  6:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Here you go, Lisa! This lady rolls her grape leaves perfectly! This is exactly how it looks... Only, I roll them one at a time, like my mother-in-law used to! :)

http://www.maureenabood.com/2012/05/23/technique-how-to-roll-grape-leaves/

Tiny, tight and perfect - super easy! Please keep in mind, though, that my leaves are never as dry looking as hers... They're usually a little damp. And I do not line the bottom of my pan with loose leaves, although I know a couple of the aunts do. I think doing so helps prevent scorching of the bottom layer... Then again, I've never burned them, either. Just thought I'd let you know! :)

Have fun!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  7:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Ach!! The grape leaves I have are in a jar with brine. Those leaves look dry. Should I take mine out of the jar & let them dry some??
I feel like a flounder.. fat & flopping.
On the plus side, I am off tomorrow & hubs has half a day, so we are meeting near the market, having a nice lunch, and I am going to introduce him to the expanse that is Jungle Jim's market (not in Columbus Nini; he has one market in Fairfield OH, northwest of Cinci, ( his original market) and a new one in the Eastgate area, on the eastern sideof the Greater Cinci area)
Jim Bonominio, the owner, is quite the character; he collects all kinds of rides, zoo characters etc, that appear tacky upon entering, but he supplies EVERYTHING! I have never gone into a market and seen sugar cane. The plant. You get the idea.
Here is a link to his very eclectic market. http://www.junglejims.com/
I only hope & pray that the Eastgate market takes hold (unfortunately I think Mountain Dew & bologna are mainstays in this area, sorry, but it is what it is), since this market is only 45 minutes away, and the Fairfield market is about 2 hrs.
I try to go every 2 or 3 months and stock my pantry with those items that our local grocery has never heard of
Like ground lamb!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  7:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Girls - I'm sorry... I just edited the meat and rice quantity for the grape leaves recipe. The more my hubby and I talked about it, I think I gave you too much of the meat mixture for 200 grape leaves. Just remember: 1/2 cup uncooked rice per 1 lb. lamb. You can always make more meat mixture if you need to. I'm all confused now. My recipe book does say five pounds ground lamb and 2 1/2 cups uncooked rice, but my hubby just reminded me that that sounds more like the amount I used when the entire family came a few years back for our son's confirmation. I made WAY more than 200 then! Forgive me! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 29 2013 7:50:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  7:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Lisa - When using jarred leaves, I would soak the leaves in water for about a half hour, then drain and rinse, then do that twice more. They will taste fine if you don't get all the brine out... you just may find a little bit of a cloudy green gel on top of your leaves when cooking them, that's all. It won't hurt you - it just happens with brined leaves. And don't dry them out at all - they're supposed to be moist when you roll them. I'm thinking the ones in Ms. Abood's pictures are dry because she laid them all flat under the lights before taking pictures. They probably dried out fast as a result. Trust me, they're supposed to be moist. It's all good! :) Don't stress - you can do this, Lisa! If I can, ANYONE can! :)

What a COOL place that market must be! I want to say we saw it - or one just like it - featured on the documentary, "To Market, To Market, To Buy A Fat Pig." In any event, I bet it's an awesome place to shop! Lucky you! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  9:53:17 PM  Show Profile
CJ, both hubby & myself have worked in hay fields all our lives & have never heard the term "bucking hay" before. Are you pitching loose hay or throwing small square bales? Anyways I know how sore the muscles will be! Hats off to you lady!

Sharon, don't let me fool you......I get done what I can in a day that's all! LOL My kids joke that if something stands still long enough I'll stuff it into a jar or the freezer!! I try to set up the kitchen the night before canning so I can jump straight into it. Sometimes it works & then again....LOL
You're nature collecting sounds perfect! You did remind me to start looking for the rose hips. Have you ever made jam using them? I'll have to goggle hawthorn berries & learn something new.
THANKS for sharing that site!!!!! Had a quick look & really enjoyed it! Right along our thinking! Her drinks look GREAT & will try! I wonder if she shares her ginger beer recipe..have to go back.

Lisa, I would beg to come along on your shopping trip in a heart beat! What a store!!!
I love looking in different food stores!

Nini, lady you made me laugh soooo hard with your MIL lamb story & especially the aunts!! You really should write that down for the next generation to share & cherish!!! Just GREAT!!! Now I really have to give them a try!

Earlier this summer bought 5..5 gallon buckets of barn paint for $10 at a farm auction because hubby wanted the buckets. We opened them & I just found the paint for the one building coming! Yippee! Regularly they sell for $140 each & the size is no long 5 gallons.
Trying to finish off beet soup tomorrow for canning in between moving cattle. Now that sounds like a disaster in the making! LOL
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  07:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Judy,
Someone on Facebook told me they hadn't heard the term "bucking hay" . . . around these parts in the Southwest it's a very, very common term.

However, we are neither pitching loose hay or small square bales. But it is associated with handling bales. The bales we were "bucking" are rectangular and weigh about 75 lbs. each so they are WORK!!! I told the gal on Facebook that "bucking" was essentially lift, carry, load and stack on truck/trailer/wagon and then do it all over again when you get them to their final destination. We have about 55 more to buck today.
I'll be glad when it's done!
Pray for us!
Back later . . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 30 2013 07:30:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  11:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi CJ!
Clearly understand & been there many many times! HOT, DRY & ITCHY!!!
We'd say hauling in the hay or bringing in the hay. Learn something new every day.
Sure are thinking abut you & Bill today!
Judy
PS, CJ do you guys loaf any hay in your area?

Taking dinner out to the fields now...homemade bread with homemade sandwich spread, salads & some oatmeal cake. YUMMY! Best treat is watermelon iced down in the well water. Sooo cold! Wish I could give you some CJ!

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  1:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Today I . . .

Put all the laundry that was washed, outside on the line to dry.

Baked 2 batches of homemade graham crackers.

Dehydrated and ground my own garlic powder.

Finished crocheting our family another washcloth.

Got our cable/internet bill today, and see they are raising the "rent" on the modem. So, I am saving up to buy our own, and that will save us $71.00 or so a year on that bill alone.

Went online with our local grocery store, and set up to download e-coupons to my shopper card (which for this store is required to even get the sale prices). I've already started saving money,
and they mailed me coupons to save money by shopping in the "nature/organic" section.

Cut basil from my herb garden to dry, along with more rosemary, thyme and oregano.

And last, I used my rain barrel water again today to water all the outside and inside plants (thankfully they are refilled). That saves us from running the well pump (electric), and saves us water in the well.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We are done! Calculated that between just the TWO of us, hubby and I handled SIX and THREE-QUARTER TONS of hay! Got the truck with the trailer stuck on the last stop and last bale . . . but a neighbor helped us with that. We still have to tarp it, which we were going to do this evening but then we got a rain shower, so we'll wait until that dries off and then tarp.

Judy . .
Yes, many of the big hay producers around here do the loaf bales, some also do the really big rolls. There are a lot of hay producers but because of the drought some are not getting all the cuttings this season that they usually do. We are fortunate to have gotten this for the price we did.

Thankful we are!! Our Longhorns will be too!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  8:19:50 PM  Show Profile
GREAT JOB CJ!!!
Funny how words mean the same but are different to the area. We'd call your size bales squares & your big rolls are round bales here. This area is too wet for loaves & even in drier areas they really never took off. We feel for the guys getting little hay this season!

Just waiting for the last batch of borscht soup to finish in the pressure canner. That makes 21 qts.
My first building arrived this evening. YIPPEE!
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  8:46:00 PM  Show Profile
CJ, you are a stud!!!
Nini, I went to the international market today & ground lamb was $9 a lb. I only bought one lb, since I want to be sure I can make these stuffed leaves and have them taste decent before I invest that much in ground meat. We have beef & venison in the freezer. I may try some of that too. Don't tell your hubby's family!!! Can you freeze these, or even better, can them??
Judy, can you post your borscht recipe??? I am a frustrated Russian at heart.

Edited by - nubidane on Aug 30 2013 8:50:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  04:56:55 AM  Show Profile
I tried to find out if we could can them, Lisa, but I think the general consensus was that it wasn't a good idea. I am not sure how they would hold up to the pressure canning process, for one (they might fall apart), and for two, I think there are concerns about whether they would reach the necessary internal temperature in the process. I am still thinking I might give it a whirl at the holidays because that's when I make the most grape leaves; we'll see. Yes, you can freeze them, and they are tasty, just not as good as fresh, you know? :)

That was a LOT of money for lamb! Eghads! Must be the good stuff, though. I'd pay more than that at the butcher, for sure! I think, though, that if you're making them for the first time, that is a good start. :) You'll wind up with around 100 grape leaves (maybe a little less) with one pound of meat. My husband laughs because the first time I made them I used only one pound, thinking it would be waaay to much for the both of us. They were gone in an hour. He ate the majority of them (they tend to be a little addictive! LOL!), but when his buddies found out I made them, my husband had bragged so much about how good they were that they just had to try them, and the rest of the pot was gone in a matter of minutes. I think I got three. All that work. Three. Lesson learned. Now I make at least 200 at a time, and if his family is anywhere in the vicinity, I make plenty more than that! And I'm no dummy - I hide them in baggies under the produce in the fridge drawer, too! ;)

Which reminds me: These are very good hot, but they are excellent cold, too. Don't think you have to reheat them every time you get a hankering. They do last a couple of days in the fridge, so sometimes we'll pull them out and eat them cold for lunch or for a late night snack! :)

Oh my gosh, CJ - that is a LOT of hay! I remember helping my aunt and uncle with hay baling and loading the trucks when I was a kid. All I can say is: God BLESS you and your hubby! I hope you got a good night's rest!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 31 2013 04:59:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  06:11:29 AM  Show Profile
My goofy husband said to tell all of you that HE saved money last night by taking me shopping... In other words, he went with me so I wouldn't spend a lot of money! LOL!

Men...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  09:43:02 AM  Show Profile
I am always looking for ways to save money on things like at thrift stores, consignment stores, discount grocery stores. Can save so much at these places. Yesterday I went to several and saved money on clothes and fall and Christmas decorations. Rarely buy anything new if I can find used.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, that market looks fun!

CJ, I hope you are resting today:)

Judy, great score on the paint :) I have made Rosehip Jelly in the past, the taste is similar to an apple/tomato. I can't wait to try the Hawthorne Jelly. The juice smell good when I was cooking the fruit down. I am going to freeze it until I have enough for a full batch.

Nini, that is funny!

Marlene, I am with you all the way on thrift and consignment stores.

Today:

~I found 2 sweaters and one really cute plaid flannel top with a feminine cut for $1.50 at the thrift.
~Also at the thrift store I found a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance for 50 cents. I plan on giving it to a family at church whose kids are learning to and love to study God's word.
~Instead of running to the store to make something for our Pot-bless at church tomorrow, I shopped the pantry and freezer :)
~I also saved money by not buying a magazine :) I can easily fall into the trap of magazines when Autumn covers are on it, instead I will look through my older Fall issues :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  8:03:19 PM  Show Profile
I think the best way I'm saving money is contacting with you all to learn!

Kristina, missed your homemade crackers..yummy! Love homemade cream cheese & jam on them. any chance at sharing your recipe PLEASE!
In my experience the States is waaay ahead of Canada in coupon shopping which this camper is sad over!!! Don't know why it's not caught on more! Of course you can find coupons but not on too much.

Marlene, you're my hero! LOL

Lisa, frustrated Russian....you're too funny! I have old Russian recipes books so looking up a true recipe for you. I'll include mine too but must say mine's a shame for any good Russian cooks!!

Nini, would love to meet up you...you've got a great sense of humour! Love it! TOO Funny!
I'LL have to tell hubby he has a new job! LOl
You encouraged me to get off my butt & make kraut too! I've had that crook for 2 yrs without using it. Started today. How's yours working out? If nothing else it will keep people at bay for a while & clean our nostrils! LOL

Sharon, oooooh the new magazines...I'm dreaming & drooling right now! LOL My weakness!!! I reassure myself that there's only sooooo many ways that a wreath can be made! But it sure hurts!!!! LOL
My family calls our storage Mom's store! LOL Love when it's our own homemade! Plus the distance to a store is insane for us!

The first of the buildings arrived last night! Be still my heart! I've started working on a flannel scrap rag quilt for a Christmas gift for the guy. He's been really great!!
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  8:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sharon,
We did Farmers Market this morning and it was nice for that time to greet customers and friends, sit a spell in the lovely morning.

However, this afternoon we had to finish stacking those bales that got a little rain on them last night and tarp then entire stack. So there wasn't any rest this afternoon while we muscled the rest of the bales around, those big, huge tarps and tires and such to weigh them down.
But we got 'er done!

Yup, we saved money . . . sweat equity!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  2:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Glad you got done CJ!

Lisa here is the recipe you asked about:
This is a OLD recipe that was published in a 1984 Russian cookbook. I haven't tried it but when you said Russian!!! LOL
Russian Borsch
3 qts water
1/4 c butter
2 c potatoes
1/4c chopped fine carrot
1 T canning salt
1 pint mashed tomatoes
1 med chopped fine onion
Bring water to boil & add ingredients and cook until potatoes are done...about 15 minutes. take out 3/4c of potatoes and set aside.
Prepare:
2T grated beets
2T fresh dill chopped fine
1 med chopped fine onion
2T gr or red pepper chopped fine
2c shredded cabbage
Mix & add to first mixture. Cook about 8-10 minutes. Mash the 3/4c potato in 1/4 c cream & 1T butter. Add some hot liquid into mashed potato, mix & add to rest of the veg 7 bio; for about 1 minute.
You can either eat plain or add more cream.
* can't figure out why you would boil veg in the butter but that's the recipe.

Here's what I do but have to send my "sorry" to any Borscht making ladies because mine is anything but true! LOL
Head to the garden & pick:
1 med size gr cabbage..shred
3-4 med spanish onions..dice
about 12 med red beets..boil til fork tender, shin & dice
handful of carrots..grate
handful celery...dice
garlic if you like it..mash
a few potatoes..cook til tender fork
a few tomatoes ..dice
gr peppers, if you like, dice
insane amount of fresh dill
pepper/salt
Mix in pot & cover with homemade beef broth til all is tender. Adjust seasonings & add cream to pot or serve sour cream on table.
I cook straight form the garden at this time of year so as long as it's got the beet taste at the end I think it tastes ok. Plus you want that pretty red colour.
Some recipes call strictly for beets, onions & cabbage so it's what you like.

I've learned that there's as many borscht recipes as there are cooks making it!
Good eats!
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My goodness, Judy . . . looks like a lot of work to me! Bet it's yummy though!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  10:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Whole Wheat Honey Graham Crackers
2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup sucanat (dehydrated cane sugar juice)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
4 Tablespoons honey
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt stick of butter in a pan on the stove. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sucanat, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. Add the liquids: honey, water, vanilla and melted butter.
5. Stir well until a nice ball of dough is formed.
6. Cut two pieces of Parchment paper the size of the cookie sheet.
7. Lay one piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet.
8. Place the ball of dough on the parchment paper.
9. Lay the other piece of parchment paper on top of the ball of dough. Squish dough down a little with your fist.
10. Use the rolling pin to roll the dough between the pieces of parchment paper. Roll until the dough covers the whole cookie sheet.
11. Remove the top piece of parchment paper. Cut rolled dough into 2 inch squares, or cut shapes with cookie cutters, being sure to separate the shapes from the surrounding dough a little.
12. Bake in oven for 18 minutes.
13. Turn oven off, but leave crackers in the oven to get crisp.
14. Remove from oven after 30 minutes to one hour. Break graham crackers apart.
15. Store in a air tight container.

For Chocolate, add 1/3 cup cocoa (will be a dry dough, you may want to add a dab of water)

You may need to adjust baking time too. I had to bake my last batch of honey ones a few minutes longer than 18 minutes.

Also, I simply put my dry ingredients in my food processor, stir them up a bit, then toss in the rest of the ingredients, and use the "dough" button on my food processor. I divide the dough into two balls, and roll on two pans (with edges) and between parchment paper. The mixing is done so quickly this way.

quote:
Originally posted by country treasure

I think the best way I'm saving money is contacting with you all to learn!

Kristina, missed your homemade crackers..yummy! Love homemade cream cheese & jam on them. any chance at sharing your recipe PLEASE!
In my experience the States is waaay ahead of Canada in coupon shopping which this camper is sad over!!! Don't know why it's not caught on more! Of course you can find coupons but not on too much.

Marlene, you're my hero! LOL

Lisa, frustrated Russian....you're too funny! I have old Russian recipes books so looking up a true recipe for you. I'll include mine too but must say mine's a shame for any good Russian cooks!!

Nini, would love to meet up you...you've got a great sense of humour! Love it! TOO Funny!
I'LL have to tell hubby he has a new job! LOl
You encouraged me to get off my butt & make kraut too! I've had that crook for 2 yrs without using it. Started today. How's yours working out? If nothing else it will keep people at bay for a while & clean our nostrils! LOL

Sharon, oooooh the new magazines...I'm dreaming & drooling right now! LOL My weakness!!! I reassure myself that there's only sooooo many ways that a wreath can be made! But it sure hurts!!!! LOL
My family calls our storage Mom's store! LOL Love when it's our own homemade! Plus the distance to a store is insane for us!

The first of the buildings arrived last night! Be still my heart! I've started working on a flannel scrap rag quilt for a Christmas gift for the guy. He's been really great!!
Judy

country wishes!

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FieldsofThyme on Sep 03 2013 10:21:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page